RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

So, grammar and spelling and fonts! [New]. Discuss.

(And feel free to nitpick each others' posts and argue about the nitpicking. In fact, I encourage it >:3 )

user posted image

Edited by RheaZen

I always nitpick on Q-tip (my boyfriend) when I help him with his college papers.

I don't understand him sometimes. First he asks me for help, then he gets annoyed when I point out grammar mistakes. I mean, what do you want me to do, say that everything is fine and dandy when it is truly not? How very silly.

I hate peer-editing people's stuff in school because of the number of grammar mistakes that must be corrected. I do love the look of red pen, though... >:3

i has teh bestest grammerz lolololol

Dammit. Walrus beat me to the punch.

Edited by Kei To Everything

i has teh bestest grammerz lolololol

Dammit. Walrus beat me to the punch.

nuuuuuuuuh i am like ttly teh bmb @ grmmr. u dint, make ayn mstkes in tat pst, but i knw u willll>^

Most self proclaimed grammar Nazis do not know anything beyond the proper use of there, their, they're, your, and you're.

I recommend the grammar book The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White. I don't think anyone can truly know all the rules of grammar until they get a PhD in English or something.

Edited by Syaoransbear

Rhea, it's not a grammar issue, but your subtitle is misspelled. huh.gif

I proofread and edit for spare cash. It's hard for me to not nitpick anything I read. It took the school I taught in for 10 years almost 7 years to come to their senses and let me proofread the newsletters.

Rhea, you would have died if you saw one paper a girl wanted me to edit.

It was impossible to edit.. literally. Just impossible. It was supposed to be a short story, and she said her friend would help her publish it.

The story was about a preppy girl with natural snow-white hair who did karate in high-heels getting it on with her younger sister with natural grey hair. Afterwards they murdered everyone in their family, including their older brother with black hair with white streaks, so that they could be together forever. Did I mention that their ages are 18 and 14? :|

Now imagine the story all in first person. Now imagine the white hair girl describing everything about her and her family in the FIRST PARAGRAPH. Now imagine it all with the worst spelling and grammar that you could ever imagine through-out all 10 pages of the story. (This includes spelling 'introduction' as 'entrodukshon'. I kid you not.)

And should I mention that the writer's age at the time was 17? |8

I thought I was going to kill myself. I had to give the thing back to her. I could only edit the first page.

I KNOW this post has so many mistakes in it. I just know it.

Oh yeah. I earned the title 'The criticizer' in school. I have a fairly interesting story about this actually.

1. I criticize somebody's work.

2. They criticize me.

3. I explain its my job.

4. They're all, 'You criticized us criticizing our criticism'.

5. Somebody walks by, and criticizes our argument.

Therefore, she criticized them criticizing my criticizing of their criticism. Make sense? tongue.gif

Grammar.

Ai r teh bst at it.

ohmy.gif

It actually takes EFFORT to write type that. Dx

So like.

Im not HUGE about it, but if its truly horrible, it annoys me.

Of course.

I tend to be lazy enough to NOT use apostrophes...

And i also cant spell. o.O

The what comma?

Oxford comma comes after the word you listed before the 'and'.

...the cat, dog and bear.

...the cat, dog, and bear.

Isn't that just proper English?

Oh, in that case, ME ME!!

Isn't that just proper English?

No, in some countries it's actually against their punctuation rules to use it.

What? The Oxford comma?

Gosh, I was taught to use that since 5th grade. x3

SEE? THE PEOPLE IN KENTUCKY *CAN* BE SMART.

Smart, I say!

Sooo WHO HERE USES THE OXFORD COMMA? MEEEEEEEE.

Meeeeee too!

I thought it was just automatic that teachers taught that. I learned it in fourth, fifth, and sixth grade.

*wink*

Never heard it called the Oxford Comma, though.

A lot of my teachers say it is excessive, but I was taught to use the "oxford comma" in 5th (?) grade, so I use it anyway.

I was taught that Oxford commas are optional. Occasionally I use them, occasionally I don't. It depends on context and if things can be misconstrued without a comma.

Grammar is good. I like it. I'm not a grammar nazi but online (especially on these forums) I trust people way more if they use fairly good grammar. Capitalization especially.

Edited by SlowHornpipe172