RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

What's really been bothering me lately is "alright." I looked it up, and apparently it's been mostly accepted in informal writing, but I don't like it.

Alright and all right have different meanings.

Anyway, I like singular they because it's gender neutral.

Sorry for the double post; there was an internal service error...

Edited by Tanigi

I was formally taught alright in school.

But there's no hard and fast rule about it; it really comes down to personal preference. It just grates on my nerves because I never saw it until I started surfing the Internet regularly, so whenever I see it in formal writing it gives me a mental jolt and disrupts the flow of my reading.

And another thing: Lately, I've been seeing more and more people using "common" instead of "come on." It baffles me. How on earth do you confuse the two?

Edited by Tanigi

I agree.

However, I quoted your post to point out a grammatical error.

"I don't like when we have to let A CLASSMATE proofread our papers."

A classmate signifies ONE. Therefore, "and THEY tell me..." should be changed to "and HE tells me" or "and SHE tells me". Furthermore, it is never good to use, "and HE or SHE tells me" because the "or" signifies more than one when you really only mean one. Just saying.

Incorrect there, "they" can refer to a person you don't know the gender of or that the gender of is not important.

EDIT: Doing a bit more research, it would appear that "they" is a bit controversial, and that while it is widely accepted (I don't see why not, anyway; how else do you talk about someone you don't know the name of nor their gender?), some people still believe it as grammatically incorrect.

Edited by soupnazi

Mixing up loose and lose? I hope they are just *hic* typos. I sometimes just have to put random things in posts, and I hiccuped once typing this. I cannot believe that some people spell 'a lot' as 'alot' seriously.

Edited by 48844

(I don't see why not, anyway; how else do you talk about someone you don't know the name of nor their gender?)

He/she, he or she, s/he. I personally only use those in more formal writing, when 'they' wouldn't be accepted because technically it's grammatically incorrect, but it doesn't mean there are no other ways of expressing the same thing.

Language is fluid; "they" is becoming more and more accepted, even though it's still seen as technically incorrect.

As well as the difference between,

"Let's eat, Grandma!" (Saying to Grandma, 'Let's eat') and

"Let's eat Grandma!" (Grandma is the direct object, or the thing that will be eaten)

There is also a difference between,

"I'm a soon-to-be, expectant, mother!" ('Expectant' being used as a parallel phrase to 'soon-to-be) And

"I'm a soon to be expectant mother!" (No explanation needed)

Did I get approval from Rhea the Grammar Nazi?

Edited by chemist98

Honestly to me as long as I can understand what the person is saying, whether or not it was spelled correctly, I don't care if there is correct spelling or grammar. Yes I do get annoyed with a lot of chat speak but other than that I'm not too picky. I will correct spelling errors for a friend if they ask me to but doing it constantly to other people who I don't know I won’t do. To me it's not my job to correct them.

iF u TaLk L!Ek Th!$ tHeN g0 d!e iN a h0lE!!!1!!!!

No, really. I will kill you.

Well this is going to get ugly.

Just adding my two cents to say I actually studied English for 8 years. 2 of those years in college. The internets destroyed any actual academic understanding of the language in the subsequent decade. Look upon the awesome sauce of teh internets, ye Nazis, and WEEP!

So yeah. First and last post in the piranha pit, to say that any grammar/English nazi that stays immersed in internet culture will inevitably degrade without constant re-enforcement of being regularly exposed to the real rules of English.

AKA, Run, while your Oxford coma remains intact!

My brother is always saying 'udder' instead of 'other.'

My grandpa says chimbley instead of chimney.

My grandma calls cheeseburgers hamburgs, and calls Pine Sol Pine Soil.

West Virginia is funny that way.

Just adding my two cents to say I actually studied English for 8 years. 2 of those years in college. The internets destroyed any actual academic understanding of the language in the subsequent decade. Look upon the awesome sauce of teh internets, ye Nazis, and WEEP!

So yeah. First and last post in the piranha pit, to say that any grammar/English nazi that stays immersed in internet culture will inevitably degrade without constant re-enforcement of being regularly exposed to the real rules of English.

I'm on the internet all the time and my grammar skills have not deteriorated a bit; in fact, it was the internet that made me into the grammar lover I am.

I don't think I've degraded, really. I've actually learned a bunch of stuff off the internet.

Too late for you, methinks smile.gif

Pet peeve of the moment:

GUARDIAN.

GUARDIAN GUARDIAN GUARDIAN GUARDIAN.

NOT "gaurdian."

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

I don't think my grammar has deteriorated at all even after all the time I've spent on the internet.

However, I do know that my spelling has, due to the spellcheck and especially the auto-correct on MS Word - to the point that I couldn't even spell "separate" or "disappear" correctly. (So it's just as well that now my internet has spellcheck as well? x_x)

I think my grammar is basically the same after using the internet, or even better. Some of my friends are super grammar nerds, so they keep me in check. laugh.gif I've disabled all my spellcheck things because they get on my nerves. I leave it up to people to correct me. xd.png

There is *never* an excuse not to use basic spelling, punctuation and grammar. On the internet, over MSN, writing letters...whatever it is, use it. The exception is when you send text messages and you're saving on characters, but even then make sure the person you are contacting can read and understand the shorthand you use.

Getting it wrong through honest mistake or other circumstances is fine - no-one is perfect. Typos occur, mix-ups happen, occasionally you'll overlook something, it's a new word...I accept those excuses.

Their is no xcus 4 typin lik dis. Evar.

(Well, unless you're being ironic or joking.)

I hate chatspeak. It makes my eyes bleed. mad.gif

And the way kids these days spell makes me worry for the future. I have a friend who has just graduated from highschool, and he doesn't know how to spell sword. What are they teaching these days?!