RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

Yes, a comma should go before a "but" in a sentence.

"I like hamburgers, but I like cheeseburgers more."

Semicolons are like the offspring of a period and a comma; they separate two sentences that are related, but distinct from one another.

You may pet it. You may pet a lot (two words, not one) of alots.

Wow, this forum thing really takes the fun out of al1-ot of jokes.

Edited by RheaDark

I doesn't like grmmar lots.

AAAHHH IT BURNS.

If English is your native language, I don't expect you to write like you have a PhD in English but at least use the proper usages of words!

Their=Possessive of they

There=As is, "Over there!"

They're=contraction of "they are".

It's=Contraction of "it is".

Its=possessive of it is

Your=Possessive of you

You're=contraction of "you are".

Then Refers to time.

Than does not.

If it doesn't invole time, use "than" instead of "then"

"Grater then four" Is wrong.

Whenever someone messes that up, I correct them. But two people I know curse me when I do.

So quick question to everyone. When do you use this-; (semicolon right?)

The main use of the semicolon is to connect independent clauses that are related to each other, but aren't/can't be joined by a conjunction (such as "and").

For example:

I never saw that movie; I'm not a big fan of romantic comedies.

or,

I like horror movies; however, I am pretty picky.

In either case, I'm you could break the clauses up into two sentences. But a semicolon can be a nice stylistic choice.

Semicolons are also used when you're listing things and there are commas or other punctuation in the list that could make separating the list items with commas confusing.

For example, saying,

Some of my favorite bands are Peter, Paul, and Mary, the Beatles, and the Who.

could be a little confusing if someone thought that Peter, Paul, and Mary were each a separate band, as opposed to one group. So instead, you could write,

Some of my favorite bands are: Peter, Paul, and Mary; the Beatles; and the Who.

Feel free to crack my bones for this, but while I'm often seen as a grammar nazi, I throw all attempts at propriety out the window when I want people to know not to take me seriously.

For example:

I love you. Formal. I probably mean it, though maybe in a way you don't expect.

Ah wuff yew. Informal. You probably did something I agree with, and I want to express it, but couldn't think of how to do it, so I went for cute.

Yes, I have been called a Grammar Nazi, too, despite my strange addiction for making up words on the spot, occasional lack of any rules whatsoever, and the habit of frequently dropping pronouns referencing to myself because it feels selfish and unnecessary

I am not generally a Grammar Nazi but I absolutely hate it when people substitute real for really (such as: "That was real fun" instead of "That was really fun.")

Sooo WHO HERE USES THE OXFORD COMMA? MEEEEEEEE.

Moi!

I don't like seeing people use bad grammar or punctuation; it's very annoying and hurts the eyes.

I especially dislike people misusing its instead of it's and vice versa.

The apostrophe in it's does not indicate that it is a possessive, peoples, it means it's a contraction.

Also, when people say [contractions?, not sure about the wording there (yes, you are allowed to use an exclamation/question mark before a comma)], such as lovin' or carin' or other words with a letter excluded, but without an apostrophe, it's very annoying.

That said, my favorite word is "he'd've".

It's the smallest errors people make that bug me. biggrin.gif I don't like when we have to let a classmate proofread our papers, and they tell me I misspelled a word I spelled correctly. >:(

I find it annoying when people spell words wrong that no-one else would. I can understand mispellings of "Dissappear" or "defin@tely", but words like "Starring" (spelled with two Rs...) and "Swet" (Supposedly "Sweat") really bug me.

It's just like: Jeez, these aren't even that hard to spell. But then I don't say anything to avoid being rude and then I get a build up of pure RRAAAGGEEE. D:<

I find it annoying when people spell words wrong that no-one else would. I can understand mispellings of "Dissappear" or "defin@tely", but words like "Starring" (spelled with two Rs...) and "Swet" (Supposedly "Sweat") really bug me.

It's just like: Jeez, these aren't even that hard to spell. But then I don't say anything to avoid being rude and then I get a build up of pure RRAAAGGEEE. D:<

Woah. Not rage! O_O

I hate the people who can't get it into their damned heads that they spell a lot wrong. It's TWO WORDS, not ONE!

Ex: Jeremy turned to Kasha and said, "I like beans alot.png. What do you like?"

That monster is very annoying when it comes to Rping...

There was a webcomic, Catharsis... the site went down, I think it's gone permanently. There was a rant on it about spelling "squirrel." Very amusing.

-Sigh- I miss that comic.

I'm not sure if any of these have already been posted in the topic. I had a flick through and couldn't see them, so here they are:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

And now for something completely different:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/irony

As an after thought, I don't suppose anyone saved my old description guidelines?

What's really been bothering me lately is "alright." I looked it up, and apparently it's been mostly accepted in informal writing, but I don't like it.

Im not very good at grammar and such. English is my second language.

In my English classes, my classmates write things such as :

'' I has been far away from home. But i want stay. ''

Seriously. It's like the 5th year everyone should have had English classes. Don't tell me they can't even write a sentence right...

The worst part is when they try to look smart and answer the teacher, but instead they just fail.

Someone spelled '' Vakation '' when it should be '' Vacation ''

But fear not! They do the same thing in French classes!

Other thing that annoys me about grammar is when people put cap locks in each start of the words. (That was pointed out earlier):

I Have A Pizza So Im Awesome Especially When I Talk Like This.

Feel free to correct my mistakes XD

As for alright... i sometime use it but i prefer just going Okay or Ok. Unless im on a quick chat, while doing 48398 things on the same time, it happens for me to just say ''alright'' to my friend.

As for alright... i sometime use it but i prefer just going Okay or Ok. Unless im on a quick chat, while doing 48398 things on the same time, it happens for me to just say ''alright'' to my friend.

WOAH.

At least you USE "okay," "ok," or "alright.”

I don't even. I just go "Mmm," "Mhmm," or "'kay."

xd.png

Edit:

As for another point, I once had to proofread a 17-year-old (high school) junior's paper. Then I read a 12-year-old's. I was shocked to find the 12-year-old had a wider vocabulary, and used much better grammar. Excerpts:

Leele runned arond the plygrond with her purlpe dres onn.

And Samantha began to cry, weep. Her mother attempted to console her, but to no avail.
Edited by EternalSpring

I understand when people misspell longer words, like "reccomend" < I probably didn't spell that one right. X|

But what I don't understand is when people can't even spell "know" or "this" properly. They're simple words that even a 5-year-old can spell correctly. It also irritates me when people put the unessasary apostrophe's in plurals like this.

In terms of spelling, I'm not that great. I think I'm fine with grammar... I at least try to avoid blatant or annoying errors, like alot.png.

I at least try to avoid blatant or annoying errors, like alot.png.

xd.png When did that become an auto-correction?...

I'm learning to be more understanding with informal writing... yeah, longer words like that can be hard, and some of the rules of grammar are somewhat arbitrary. But in formal writing it's pretty much inexcusable. You can almost always find somebody willing to proofread for you.

I hate it when people type liek(like) and don't fix it.

I hate when people misspell lose as "loose".

Lose = opposite of win

Loose = opposite of tight

lrn2grammar P:

It's the smallest errors people make that bug me. biggrin.gif I don't like when we have to let a classmate proofread our papers, and they tell me I misspelled a word I spelled correctly. >:(

I agree.

However, I quoted your post to point out a grammatical error.

"I don't like when we have to let A CLASSMATE proofread our papers."

A classmate signifies ONE. Therefore, "and THEY tell me..." should be changed to "and HE tells me" or "and SHE tells me". Furthermore, it is never good to use, "and HE or SHE tells me" because the "or" signifies more than one when you really only mean one. Just saying.

I hate it when people type liek(like) and don't fix it.

But but but I type liek fr teh lulz and MEAN to type liek. D:

In srs bzns more formal typing, I say like. But for fun I'll type liek every once in a while.

Anyway, when someone claims to be all well-read and a formal writer and then types like a 12 YO fanfic writer with the grammar of a 3 YO? Really pisses me off.