RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

How about a few chapters, then? tongue.gif

You would have to pay a very nice shiny coin...vault.

;D

If I got really bored I might attempt something for lulz.

I have fairly good grammer. My family actually thinks I will be an editor of sorts or a grammer teacher.

Grammar. tongue.gif

I think that there are different rules for formal and informal writing. With informal writing, I don't mind grammar mistakes like sentence fragments, dangling participles, etc. Like the ones this post has. smile.gif Basically, when it's informal I write like I talk.

But when it's formal, my standards are pretty darn high. NO spelling mistakes, and very few(I'll overlook one or two per book) grammar mistakes.

Take fanfiction. I actually like it a lot when it's written well, but most of it is so painful. Do people honestly think they're writing well when some of the dialogue goes like:

So r you cming over tonite?" said sara

"Idk. i might have a histery paper to write. why dont you come over to my place" said Emma.

Seriously. I've seen some like this. It's sad. It makes me want to yell. And cry. What is this world coming to?

By the way, I love this thread. Quite a lot, in fact.

And ooh! You guys should read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero-Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" by Lynne Truss. It's basically a book-long rant on punctuation. Funny. biggrin.gif

Grammar. tongue.gif

I think that there are different rules for formal and informal writing. With informal writing, I don't mind grammar mistakes like sentence fragments, dangling participles, etc. Like the ones this post has. smile.gif Basically, when it's informal I write like I talk.

But when it's formal, my standards are pretty darn high. NO spelling mistakes, and very few(I'll overlook one or two per book) grammar mistakes.

Take fanfiction. I actually like it a lot when it's written well, but most of it is so painful. Do people honestly think they're writing well when some of the dialogue goes like:

So r you cming over tonite?" said sara

"Idk. i might have a histery paper to write. why dont you come over to my place" said Emma.

Seriously. I've seen some like this. It's sad. It makes me want to yell. And cry. What is this world coming to?

By the way, I love this thread. Quite a lot, in fact.

And ooh! You guys should read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero-Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" by Lynne Truss. It's basically a book-long rant on punctuation. Funny. biggrin.gif

Fanfiction can be truly shocking at times. I don't use the Oxford comma, simply because I was never told to. I guess Australia is one of the countries that don't teach it. I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of 'The Elements of Style', but every single copy that comes into my store is a special order for a customer. dry.gif

I know that I've made a whole bunch of mistakes in there, so please have mercy Grammar Gods.

Fanfiction can be truly shocking at times. I don't use the Oxford comma, simply because I was never told to. I guess Australia is one of the countries that don't teach it. I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of 'The Elements of Style', but every single copy that comes into my store is a special order for a customer. dry.gif

I know that I've made a whole bunch of mistakes in there, so please have mercy Grammar Gods.

I kinda picked up without being taught it. now I overuse it.

Excuse the lowercase n, by the way. The key is broken and the only way to type an n is through copy and paste.

I would say that I know grammar and spelling fairly well - in German, that is.

I think that my English is quite good, too, although I'm sure that I'm unintentionally putting some mistakes in this post. If you want to correct them: Please, go ahead (with an explanation!) Since I'm studying to become an English teacher (but only in primary school) I'd like to speak and write English as perfectly as possible in a few years.

Personally, I have corrected others in their grammar and spelling a few times.

The time I remember best was when I was about 10 years old and my mother taught "Deutsch für Ausländer" ("German for Foreigners"), She was supposed to teach immigrants (mostly from Russia or Arabian countries) proper German.

She took the tests that needed to be corrected home, and after she had corrected them she gave them to me so I could proofread them, too.

She stopped that, though. >.> Her explanation was: "I can't let you proofread them since every teacher misses some mistakes. Letting you find these mistakes makes me give my students even worse marks". tongue.gif

When it comes to my own use of grammar, I always try to use it correctly. I'm not a grammar nazi, but I feel that grammar is the basic rule that makes random words stick together and make sense. It limits the need of interpretation and gives others a chance to undestand what you actually want to say. Even "unecessary rules" such as punctuation.

An example made by my English lecturer:

a woman without her man is nothing

means a)

A woman, without her man, is nothing.

or cool.gif (Darn that smiley! It's supposed to be a "b" with a bracket...)

A woman: Without her, man is nothing.

Generally I don't mind grammar and spelling as long as there are not too many mistakes.

But when a post (or any means of written communication) is stuffed with mistakes, makes no use of punctuation and half of the words are even shortened, so that I need to read it at least 4 times to just get the basic meaning, Í get really, really mad.

Oh, and I use the Oxford comma ever since I learned it. It is prohibited in German unless it is necerssary to prevent misunderstanding, but ever since I use the Oxford comma in English, I'm tempted to use it German, too.

It's so... tidy ^^

Edited by Bardess

God, fanfiction. I have seen true horrors there.

At the same time, I've seen stories with beautiful spelling grammar. They're just hard to find. xd.png

I tend to over-use the comma. I put them everywhere. It seriously annoys me when I see people missing them, too.

It always amuses me that the ones against abortion/gay marriage have worse spelling/grammar than the ones for it usually.

You know that the level of religious beliefs is usually inversely correlated to the level of secular education tongue.gif

So, grammar and spelling. Discuss.

(And feel free to nitpick each others' posts and argue about the nitpicking. In fact, I encourage it >:3 )

user posted image

You know I have finaly understood this picture. It has takken me over 3 months.

Well, I've been on this forum for quite a while and sometimes I really want to shout "please don't write like that".

I am German. For me English is a foreign language and I know I make mistakes. And I know that there are lots of people here whose native language isn't English as well. They come here, try to participate and maybe improve their English (like me).

And then there are native speakers who don't care about spelling or even make "mistakes" deliberately.

For exampley: "Can I has/haz XYZ?" - well, foreign speakers had to learn that it is, in fact, "can I have". Why can't native speakers do us, who need to learn the language, the favor, help us and try to write correctly?

I know that there are people who have problems in doing so, I make mistakes in German as well. But it's these deliberate wrong spellings that make me cry out.

Here's a list of pet hates that I have about people who type on the internet:

1. People who don't put spaces after their commas or full stops.

After running to the bookshop,the old man,who was incredibly old,realised that he had forgotten his money.

2. People who capitalise every word, thinking that it makes them look intelligent. My father is one of these people .__.

I Can't Believe You Didn't Forget That Tonight Is Pizza Night.

It. Makes. You. Read. Like. Every. Word. Is. One. Sentence. Not every word is a person or a place! Jeez! The shift button is amazing, true, but don't abuse it >:(

3. People who type as so, with excessive letters and punctuation :

Heeyy babeez!!!! R we meetin up toniite or waatt? i reliiii cant waiittttt!!! Love youuxxx

The above is common on Facebook and it annoys the hell outta me -___-

Though I do admit that I often forget to end all my sentences with full stops. And I use way too many smiley faces.

Edited by Sparkeycat

I'm not an English speaker either, so I'm sure I do make lots of mistakes in my posts. Sometimes I have to read a sentence several times before I understand it properly if I happen to not know all the words. This is rare, however.

But instead I'm fine with English and I know when someone is fooling around with it like 'I can haz' or 'Y halo thar' and know what it means. smile.gif I use them too. If I want to use an overused silly word in a context, I search its meaning first and then I start using it too.

I don't use l33t/chat speech, not even when I text someone, although they text me that way and sometimes I have a hard time understanding what they meant with that and I really hate that. I even use proper grammar when I chat to someone. I do however have the tendency to make a lot of typos. laugh.gif It happens.

I also dislike it when people who hardly know English, don't even try to get better with it. *coughnonacough* And as with l33t language I don't get what they are saying. You can at least look at how other people are typing certain words and learn. :/

Never had a problem with grammar in my mother language though.

Edited by earthgirl

Wow, all of you non-native-English-speakers make me feel... unaccomplished. I'm trying to learn German, and so far I know the numbers up to ten and how to say "How goes it to you?" tongue.gif

I have a rather bad habit of associating a person's intelligence with how they write. I *know* that some really smart people just don't care about spelling and grammar, but I just can't take a person seriously when they say stuff like... I dunno, "lol no i am ackterly rlly smart, n fact." I don't really care about chat rooms, but serious communication is different.

It's gotten to the point where if I see somebody using perfect spelling and grammar, I immediately click on their profile because I like them already. laugh.gif Dragoncave is surprisingly full of likeable people...

user posted image

Set confsion.

Wat.

Oh.

That's the way SOME PEOPLE do it. Wrong.

You're= You are

Your= Ownership

There= Place

They're= They are

Their- Ownership

I prefer not to use the Oxford comma. :B

I am pretty terrible at grammar though, and barely decent at spelling lmao.

Phew. You can never really tell...

I'm sure there are people who would take it seriously, though...

I'm sure there are people who would take it seriously, though...

Cue another mental rant on the ignoble downfall of society... dry.gif

user posted image

That...

That is awesome.

Alots are cute!

Heehee, I've seen that before. Still love it. laugh.gif

Random piece of trivia: Did you know that "chortle" became a part of the English language because of Lewis Carroll's poem Jabberwocky?

Cool, you guys are a bunch of people I could really relate to, but then again, I bet you guys have a much greater skill at it then I do.

So quick question to everyone. When do you use this-; (semicolon right?) and do you have to put a comma before the word 'but' every time you use the word? None of my teachers ever told me about it and I've just recently heard about that rule from a sub.

I know i made a mistake somewhere...