RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

I thought Failbooking was part of the ICHC site... ?! Confused.

I don't know where or where I learned my grammar ._. I've always been like this. Mom says it's 'cause of all the reading I did when younger.

It's because you're Asian. xd.png

It's because you're Asian. xd.png

... that only works for math and science.

My mother and biological father have English as a second language. All my babysitters spoke different languages.

I-what-wait-this-the-but

bull****! Completely and utterly RIDICULOUS!

*headdesk*

Hey, guess that dumbing our citizens down more isn't going to make that much of a difference. If you can make it so they can't read or write the laws, how ever would you expect them to vote from an informed position in regards to those laws in the first place?

Honestly though...There's a reason why I think that things are being taken too PC-ish in regards to common sense, day to day living. How ever are we to compete in the world market, if our younger generations aren't even taught the basics and those basics enforced in a classroom?

My opinion on grammar and spelling:

I'm lenient on it towards the internet. Not everyone speaks English as a first language, and I understand we have a lot of rules and spellings that don't make sense (e.g., words with silent letters or words pronounced entirely different from how they appear to be pronounced).

I also understand that in addition to people who don't speak (type) English well, there is also the consideration of the age range on here. There are adults, teenagers, preteens, children, and possibly elderly people too (you never know what they're up to).

You can't honestly expect 100% of the people here to have learned all the grammatical rules and how to spell every word ever.

However, I do not appreciate it when people purposefully misspell or make grammar mistakes either for the sake of annoying people or just plain laziness.

Not knowing the language is an excuse, knowing the language and misusing it is not.

But, again, I'm very lenient towards it on the internet. I figure as long as I can understand what a person is trying to tell me (without making my eyes bleed), then that's cool.

If anything, pointing out someone's grammar mistakes online isn't going to do anything. The person will either ignore you or they'll continue with the habit just to mess with you.

(Also, thank god for Firefox's spell check. It's my lifesaver)

I don't know where or where I learned my grammar ._. I've always been like this.  Mom says it's 'cause of all the reading I did when younger.

Heh, same here. My mom would actually get mad at me because I read so much.

By the way, don't you mean where or when?

Heh, same here. My mom would actually get mad at me because I read so much.

By the way, don't you mean where or when?

Hahahaha, yeah.

"Where or where"...

Freddy is wondering, how do you spell the to diffrent wheres.

Is it:

Where and wear

Where and wear, yes.

People also confuse where and wear with were and ware. *shrug* I dunno, peeps are strange.

Where - Where are you?

Wear - What will you wear today?

Were - Were you doing what I told you to do?

Ware - ..uh. Hand me the hardware. (Pfft, I don't know.)

Edited by MellaBella

Where and wear, yes.

People also confuse where and wear with were and ware. *shrug* I dunno, peeps are strange.

Where - Where are you?

Wear - What will you wear today?

Were - Were you doing what I told you to do?

Ware - ..uh. Hand me the hardware. (Pfft, I don't know.)

Well, I think at least with people who don't speak English as a first language, words that sound the same when spoken yet are spelled differently and mean different things are very confusing.

^^; I hardly have amazing grammar or spelling, but I can still act like a grammar nazi when I see someone using chatspeak, or I hear someone "axing" a question. A while back at my school there was a poster that was an acrostic for "ART." The A was "A lot (without the space) of fun" ...this irked me. xd.png I couldn't resist fixing it DC forum style by taking out a pencil, crossing out the offending word, and writing under it "a lot (two words, not one)."

I know, it can be and is confusing.

And it can hard for me to learn Spanish, because there are tons of words that look very similar to English words but don't mean the same thing at all.

*headtilt* I still eventually get it, since I love learning different languages, but at first it's frustrating. Because my mind tries to mush the words together.

Edited by MellaBella

Am I allowed to post something completely random, Rhea? Specifically (random/specific, yeah, yeah), the stories my kids wrote in Creative Writing today? Unedited, of course, and then you guys can correct and critique to your heart's content.

Am I allowed to post something completely random, Rhea? Specifically (random/specific, yeah, yeah), the stories my kids wrote in Creative Writing today? Unedited, of course, and then you guys can correct and critique to your heart's content.

Do eet.

Dooo eeeet.

I remember picking up this paper off the ground and looking at it. Picture this:

• Double sided
  • Messy handwriting
  • Twilight rip off
  • Wannabe author
  • Misspelled everything
  • Horrible grammar
Lets see. From what I could decipher it was about a middle school vampire girl who wants to eat a new kid. She runs outside and eats a mouse or moose (I couldn't tell), and hides in the bathroom. And then this person summarized the life of Jesus Christ.

LOL.

First off, it's "challenge", not "challange". >.>

Of course I use the Oxford comma. It sounds right.

I can be a bit of a grammarian, I suppose. XD Too bad it doesn't help in school work anymore. Using proper English because expected after a time. *sighs* Maybe I helps in el bano, though. *snickers* I edit the ****py poetry that soppy emos write in the bathroom stalls.

:P Tiny text of OP for challange.

Efarilahn, ya wanna post what you PMed to me yesterday?

Edited by RheaDark

Sooo WHO HERE USES THE OXFORD COMMA? MEEEEEEEE.

Not only do I use it, I'm kind of obsessive over it. Not using it just looks so wrong to me, though I deal with the fact that it's technically correct to omit it.

Leaving it out just makes it look like the last two items are grouped together, to me.

-raises hand- I use the Oxford comma! Though I was not aware until now that it was called the Oxford comma. In my mind it had always just been called "correct". =P

I'm more of a spelling/punctuation person myself, simply because there are so many grammatical rules to remember and apply at one's own discretion. Spelling and punctuation are fairly concrete.

Generally I use the Oxford comma (when it fits into how I want a sentence to sound), though I wasn't aware it had a special name until now. blink.gif

I was that kid whose parents faced some debate of how to punish me:

"You're grounded from reading... Wait... That's not it. Um. Grounded from... Your lamp! Wait..."

I'm absolutely awful with my red pen in peer editing, but I rationalize it by telling myself that a crushed ego is worth a good grade; I'm known for correcting speech patterns and grammar all the time. And one of my biggest pet peeves is the misuse of apostrophes. And the wrong choice of there/they're/their. And the non-word 'ain't.' And....

ninja.gif I stop naow.

~Feathers

Edited by fly_away_soon

:P Tiny text of OP for challange.

Efarilahn, ya wanna post what you PMed to me yesterday?

What is OP?

And I used "paragraph" the first time because I could think of no better word, and by saying it wasn't an entire paragraph I meant that because it was standalone it was unnecessary [this seems a bit run-on].

^ What you posted. (OMG GAIZ IZZA sentence fragment)

You cannot begin an independent clause with a coordinating conjunction, or have two coordinating conjunctions in the same sentence. That sentence should read, "I used "paragraph" the first time because I could not think of a better word, and by saying it wasn't an entire paragraph I meant that, because it was standalone, it was unnecessary." Still, that sentence is entirely too verbose. XD

^ My boring response.

Edited by Efarilahn

Ooh, grammar and spelling.

I think my grammar/spelling is okay..

Fail. An ellipsis is three periods long, not two.

wink.gif

In case the emoticon doesn't portray it, I'm teasing you. Please don't be mad at me.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Fail. An ellipsis is three periods long, not two.

wink.gif

In case the emoticon doesn't portray it, I'm teasing you. Please don't be mad at me.

Wait, what?

xd.png

Wait, what?

xd.png

At the end of your sentence "I think my grammar/spelling is okay.. "

You used an ellipsis. You know dot-dot-dot, a trailing thought.

Except you were missing a period.

(Fragmented sentences everywhere in that post)

At the end of your sentence "I think my grammar/spelling is okay.. "

You used an ellipsis. You know dot-dot-dot, a trailing thought.

Except you were missing a period.

(Fragmented sentences everywhere in that post)

*looks in awe and wonder at grammar gods/goddesses*

EDIT: Who invented grammar? o__o

EDIT2: Actually, why name it "grammar"?

Edited by xFlame990