RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

I think I was taught not to use them, but then I just randomly started using them for some reason and no one corrected me. It makes more sense to me.

I was taught that Oxford commas are optional. Occasionally I use them, occasionally I don't. It depends on context and if things can be misconstrued without a comma.

Grammar is good. I like it. I'm not a grammar nazi, but online (especially on these forums) I trust people way more if they use fairly good grammar. Capitalization especially.

YOU FORGOT A COMMA!

I'm not HUGE about it, but if it's truly horrible, it annoys me.

Of course.

I tend to be lazy enough to NOT use apostrophes...

And also, I can't spell. o.O

MISTAKES!

Edited by unimyth_7_7_7

The best way to avoid grammar mistakes is to use short sentences that are not confusing.

Like so.

SENTENCE FRAGMENT OSHI-

AAGGGHHH-

I always end up putting too many commas in long sentences. So I have to go back and break it apart with periods, colons, and/or semicolons. It takes forever, because I usually can't decide how to break it apart. Dx

I always use the Oxford comma, if that's what it's called. I have had some teachers say I shouldn't use it like that, but I still do. Heck, for some reason I like commas in general. My current teacher lectures my class and says we use too many of them.

Since English isn't my first language, I try to remain understandable. Sure, I've learned grammar at school but mostly as far as it regards verb tenses and such, and I put commas the way it would make sense in my native language.

Problem is, I tend to write long sentences in any language.

Self-confessed grammar Nazi, who not only knows the correct use of apostrophes, but who has also read the aforementioned Elements of Style (or would you like that in inverted commas?) and any other grammar manuals she can get her hands on.

The first thing I do when walking into a restaurant/shop is to look at their handwritten signs and point out errors (misplaced apostrophes are usually the most common). I then get annoyed if they don't change them.

My boyfriend and I get into arguments constantly about the correct use of 'that' and 'which'. He keeps saying 'The dog which likes to eat kittens.', and I insist that it should either be 'The dog that likes to eat kittens.' or 'The dog, which likes to eat kittens...'

He won't believe me.

Anyway, I also use the Oxford comma, and get annoyed when people don't.

Oxford comma is a no-go in Dutch, so I went "Wut?" when I was told we're allowed to use it in English. But since it goes against all I've learned, I rarely use it. I was actually quite surprised at the punctuation differences languages can have.

I'm a Dutch grammar nazi, but since English isn't my first language, I can't say the same of my English grammar. I do check my there/their, you're/your etc. I rarely make mistakes their there.

Long live the edit button. <3

Yah, I use the Oxford comma as well. DL doesn't, though. Had all of my Oxford commas edited out of my RP.

I can't say I'm the best person when it comes to grammar, but I'm a total spelling Nazi.

Shortly after I realized how few people could actually spell properly, I gave up trying to fix all the blatant, EVIL grammar mistakes I came across.

Most of my peers in real-life have fairly good grammar/spelling. When they make mistakes they're not very noticeable or "out there". (From what I know at least. I don't have many friends my own age, and I don't see much of their writing.)

People my age online, however, are not quite as... strict with their spelling.

I swear, some of the messages I've gotten have been a nightmare to read.

We're talking about 16 year old kids here, who have been in school for almost a decade, writing like a 7 year old. That's just how bad it is.

I could understand it if it was in a silly manner, or if it was only on the phone (texting) but everywhere, and seriously?

Not cool. Totally not cool.

The worst part is that they're getting away with it in schools nowadays too.

I've heard from some of my friends that the kids in their schools have been turning in papers riddled with chatspeak and actually not having them thrown back at their faces with a big "F" written across it.

Apparently, only the language teacher can criticize a student's grammar/spelling.

So... the kids drop all their language skills as soon as they leave the language classroom.

No, seriously I've had people tell me that they don't write properly because they're not in school.

I'm discouraged with my generation.

They're all going to grammatical hell.

Edited by Pink

Yay grammar!

biggrin.gif

I hate it when people use chatspeak.

Because chatspeak hurts.

It's like:

O hai i liek choco meelk lolololololololol.

I like grammar. I'm not obsessed, but I try to be as grammatically correct as possible. (Although not as much when I post, when I post I try to just type as the words come into my head, then do as little editing as possible to make sure the post is as me as possible. That's where most of my grammar mistakes come from.)

Sooo WHO HERE USES THE OXFORD COMMA? MEEEEEEEE.

Me too! Yay!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I totally read The Elements of Style. Got it for a Christmas present.

Edited by soupnazi

I want to read the elements of style, but I don't have time at the moment.

I think it'd be fun to read.

The worst part is that they're getting away with it in schools nowadays too.

I've heard from some of my friends that the kids in their schools have been turning in papers riddled with chatspeak and actually not having them thrown back at their faces with a big "F" written across it.

Apparently, only the language teacher can criticize a student's grammar/spelling.

So... the kids drop all their language skills as soon as they leave the language classroom.

THANK GOD. I'm going to be an English teacher. >:3 If a majority of an assignment is in chatspeak, automatic D.

I will hammer out a more elaborate policy later.

Sooo WHO HERE USES THE OXFORD COMMA? MEEEEEEEE.

Whachu talkin' bout, Willis? I've always used it since like... ever.

But yeah, I left out an "lol" because this is a grammar topic.

HEIL SPELLCHECK! Haha...

I love my proper English to bits. It's hard for me to knowingly write incorrectly, or use chatspeak. It drives me nuts! My friends often get annoyed with me on MSN for correcting every little mistake I, or they make. Haha.. Oh well.

Edited by RedWolfen

'CHALLANGE'

O.o That looks wrong.

Even from my point of view.

Challenge - I think it is I am not sure.

Woop I'm right

Whenever someone does chatspeak on me the first thought that forms in my head is "Hurhur, I can't f*cking understand you!"

That's why I think forgetting grammar after your native language class should be a crime. It is there for a reason rolleyes.gif

Chatspeak is annoying, but I use some. (such as lol, k or kk, not much other than that) Also, I leave out apostrophes a lot, online at least; however, chatspeak on homework or essays is not ok. I know people who do it and luckily, get in trouble for it.

ETA: Oh, and I use btw...

Edited by Parakeet13

A bit of chatspeak shouldn't kill anyone. I use a bit of it, too, usually to emphasize a humorous or sarcastic meaning of a sentence and such. And, yeah, "btw", too.

No, seriously I've had people tell me that they don't write properly because they're not in school.

I'm discouraged with my generation.

They're all going to grammatical hell.

Actually, the supposed reason behind this new phenominon is that correcting their spelling/chatspeak is 'emotionally damaging' to a developing mind.

And in some schools, they've taken it so far as to include not correcting their grammar/spelling mistakes even in the language class room, as it's argued 'chat/text speak' is now an established form of communication for people.

Not that I expect everyone to always use proper spelling/grammar/punctuation or feel it's necessary to always correct the occassional spelling/grammar mistake. BUT there are specific times, specific atmospheres, in which to use chat/text speak and those times to refrain from using it.

Phone or chatroom conversations? Yes, it's ok. I'd perfer not, but it's reasonable useage...

Message boards where it's important to make your position as clear as possible?

Although an occassional 'LOL', 'WTF', or 'OMG' is ok, using nothing BUT chat/text speak is inappropriate as well as inconsiderate to those that aren't familiar with it. Not to mention, it doesn't make you look competent about the subjects you're participating in.

Edited by AlicornsPrayer

English isn't my mother tongue, and in Greek the Oxford comma is prohibited so I don't use it much ( I noticed that I just did though, lol. >>) .

I was taught English however, so I know the differences between they're/their/there, you're/your etc. I won't be confusing them any time soon. tongue.gif

As for the internet, I usually hang out in places where we like to type like civilized people ( like EVE online, maybe because the age average is near 30 there? I am not entirely sure.. tongue.gif ) instead of monkeys on crack, all the time.

I also love this little thing ";" (semicolon?) too much when I write, but that's just for my stories.