Completely Different

I love Avatar on TV. Not so sure about the movie but I'll see it anyway.

I've been watching the Avatar reruns on a channel called Teen NicK where they have all the older and out of play on regular Nick, shows that personally I thought were best.

I actually thought the actors looked relatively good. I can see that they aren't perfect, but.. oh well.

I think it is going to be good... I really want to go see it in theaters with my sister. So fun. xd.png

It's coming out July 1st in 2D and 3D right? We'll probably not see 3D, so much more expensive. >.<

I love Avatar on TV.  Not so sure about the movie but I'll see it anyway.

I've been watching the Avatar reruns on a channel called Teen NicK where they have all the older and out of play on regular Nick, shows that personally I thought were best.

You reminded me of something

user posted image

I'm seeing the movie later today. I'll telll you guys if it's good. But they cut out the Kyoshi Warriors. TT How does Sokka get a girlfriend now? And they changed the pronunciation of Aang to Ahng

Ahng? WEEEIIIIRD. They probably will add them in the next movie, since Sokka getting two girlfriends in one movie is overly much. I feel like because of how they meet the warriors it could probably be easily worked into a different movie.

Oh well, I'm still going today. I remain confident that it will be epic, despite the discrepancies, which will be there.

I just found a post highlighting a few twitter reviews the AtLA movie got:

rejects: No matter what you are expecting, you couldn't possibly imagine how bad The Last Airbender is.

tvancise: DONT SEE LAST AIRBENDER, it is the worst movie I have ever seen. There is no redeeming factor to this movie. Whatever you do dont pay for it

sykestm:nThe Last Airbender was horrible. SO glad I didn't pay to watch the 3D version. This movie made the cartoon look so bad. #epicfail

notbriankelly: Last Airbender trust me, if you loved it on nick, you will HATE the movie!

JaredGrand: Wow, M. Night Shyamalan, wow. Way to absolutely kill the last airbender. Its over, they are all gone.

There are also a lot of movie reviews, and I've yet to come across a positive one, a nice synopsis is here: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/06/30/...r-review-revue/

Not going to see this. Ugh. But then, I'm glad this looks to be such a trainwreck, in a twisted way, at least this way funding for the next part of this tripe is going to be hard to come by...

I just got back from seeing it. So disappointing.

Pros

Good special effects

Cons

Barely any humor

No Kyoshi Warriors

No Cheong-Cheong

No Jet

Firebending is too limited

Momo doesn't even get named

La (Ocean Spirit) never joins with Aang, he just does some fancy-schmancy waterbending

Sokka isn't awkward

Iroh was just terrible

Zuko has no ponytail, and his scar is barely noticeable

Azula looks too nice

And there are many more

I actually really liked it.

Sure, it wasn't like the series in EVERY way, but please, almost NO movies are. The trick to enjoying them is to EXPECT them to be different, and enjoy those differences.

For one, I never liked Zuko's first haircut, so I wasn't overly sad to see it gone. It wasn't really very important, so no complaints there.

I wasn't expecting humor. It showed more serious stuff, and it was good. The show was funny, but it still had serious themes - the movie highlighted them.

Anyway, I'll write more later.

It's interesting to see varied opinions like that - of course the movie can't be like the show in all respects, but I suppose, without having seen it, that if the movie doesn't honour the source material and adapt it a credible and enjoyable way... it's not for me.

Which isn't to say that movie adaptations necessarily have to be bad - I loved the Lord of the Rings; although at times there was a lot of artistic license involved. For the most part (excepting scenes where Peter Jackson opted for splatter and gore or corny jokes) I enjoyed those three movies, and with books you can't expect everyone to have the same images in mind.

With visual source material that was created for the screen, though? You'd better preserve a few similarities. And trying to avoid terrible scriptwriting goes for every movie.

My reaction

The biggest problem with this movie is that If you don't know the series, the movie makes no sense, but if you know the series, the movie is terrible.

Also, M. night couldn't write coherent characters to save his life. Everyone in the movie is a flat, static character >.>

sad.gif The last airbender is going to ruin it for the people who have never seen the show.

Edited by bunidragon

Alright, a bit more.

Cons:

The few attempts at humor where kind of bad.

I felt like a lot of the bending had too much... dancing?.. for not as much bending. Aang did this whole little gymnastics thing to make a little hurricane. The dance or whatever took more time then the bending.

Cut out a few things, such as the Kyoshi warriors and Jet.

It WASN'T made for new comers.

Some of the scenes where short and disconnected feeling.

A little short.

Pros:

I liked the special effects. Especially the scene where they were in the earthbenders prison.

It concentrated on a more serious side of the story, which was nice. I thought.

I liked a lot of the actors. Yue looked REALLY good to me. Sokka's pony tail was super fluffy too. <3 And I like Aang's new tatooes, they fit in with the movie alot.png (purposeful, btw) better then the bright blue stripes would have.

Showed a decent portion of the world in 'real' life, which was really fun to watch.

Seeing the characters being real was really cool too.

Basically, it was fun to watch if you were a fan. To me it felt kind of like he had created a really big, epic film of TLA, but then had to cut parts of it out. Good, but somehow lacking in... completion. It felt somehow incomplete.

He's actually the lead from Slumdog Millionaire.

I'm half super excited for the movie and half grr argh.  The effects look great, bending looks awesome, Appa, Zuko and Aang look fantastic.  On the other hand, Sokka and Katara just look wrong.  tongue.gif  I'll still see it, and I hope they keep all the little touches from the series that made it awesome (like the martial arts styles!).

I came late to the Avatar fandom. I had previously dismissed it as a kids cartoon but when I saw the teasers for the movie, I was intrigued.

I watched all three seasons online (see digavatar but beware the million pop-up ads), and was so eager to watch the movie that I convinced my sisters to join me this morning.

It was...disappointing. bunidragon, very clever. smile.gif

I liked:

- effects

- bending

- Momo

Disliked:

- Sokka and Katara

- Yue

- little to no humor/ too serious

- no Kyoshi warriors sad.gif

- no funny and silly Aang

- too modified from original animation

- too short (I was shocked when it ended. Already?)

Agree with Shadowwarrior:

"I felt like a lot of the bending had too much... dancing?.. for not as much bending. Aang did this whole little gymnastics thing to make a little hurricane. The dance or whatever took more time then the bending."

"Some of the scenes where short and disconnected feeling."

Agree with satyr:

"La (Ocean Spirit) never joins with Aang, he just does some fancy-schmancy waterbending"

Regarding Momo's naming, at one point, Aang does call him Momo.

My sister, who has not seen the show, loved Appa.

Regarding Cameron's Avatar, when I first heard of it, I thought of Avatar: The Last Airbender, which I had known about but had not watched. I had immediately lost interest until I saw from the teasers that it was a completely different movie. That is actually what made me interested in watching Cameron's Avatar. I absolutely loved Cameron's Avatar, by the way, which definitely surpassed The Last Airbender in every way.

Edited by Maladroit

*shudders*

Okay. I'm nervous now. Really, really nervous.

I hope that it was at least good enough to intrigue some new people into the tv show. Please, please let people see how epic the source material is,....

So I finally finished watching the animated show for the first time.

My first reaction was "...it's over? Already? Even for a kids show, it was really short." Toph didn't seem like an important character in the show, and she's my favorite character aside from Appa and Momo. Every episode featuring her was about her back story, pretty much. That, or her arguing with Katara. As a character, I find it hard to believe that's all there is to her.

Maybe I missed a few things or maybe I'm expecting too much, I don't know. All I know is that I can't stand the Avatar fanfiction out there - it's terrible!

It was kind of short, but sweet too. :3

I've never read any Avatar fanfiction.. now I know to avoid it. xd.png

...Never saw the show, but I did enjoy the movie. It felt like it was a bit too short, but I liked it. :D I'm definitely going to go see the others!

Yeah, all the little interpretive dance moves for some small, weak attacks was a bit disappointing... Sure, sometimes they look neat, but really. Someone would've shot Aang's face off by the time he made one of his little whirlwinds...

I've been thinking about trying out the cartoon at some point, but I hate starting a series in the middle or anything like that. :\ I'll have to rent the DVDs or something.

Damnit they totally screwed with the movie, they didn't even show the invasion of Ba-sing-se. Or did they introduce Taf. D:

^ That's because the movie is only of the first season.

Anyways, Avatar is pretty cool. I do want to see the movie, just to see if they actually did mess it up.

Damnit they totally screwed with the movie, they didn't even show the invasion of Ba-sing-se. Or did they introduce Taf. D:

Also, it's spelled Toph.

But yeah, avoid Avatar fanfiction. It's either lemon and/or out of character

got a 6% on rottentomatoes

not going to pay to see it

I ADORE the show... I've loved it since it came out, however... the movie was a train wreck. I liked seeing the bending and the music was good, but that is about it. I think the one who fit the role the best was Katara. I enjoyed watching her the most. One of the worst things though... Appa sounded like he was dying every time he opened his mouth. I felt bad for him. Plus, the bond between Aang and Appa was not there. T^T

I have to admit, I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say the series was short. It was 60 episodes, that's a good run.

I have to admit, I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say the series was short. It was 60 episodes, that's a good run.

They were half hour episodes, though. If you have a complete series, so much more could've gotten across with more episodes. I'd have loved to see more character development, personally. Toph especially.

Compare that with something like Naruto, it's really short.

I really wish there was more.. maybe in the new sequel?