TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

Currently I have a rat by the name of Sage. He is 3 yrs old or will be in a few months smile.gif I have been told that rats only live two years does anyone know differently? I got Sage out of a feeder bin and fell in love with his personality. He is an only child as there were no other rats at the store that were male and I didn't want a female for obvious reasons ><

During my elementary years through high school, I had Newts and one I kept was so toxic I had to wear latex gloves while cleaning the tank. I also kept hermit crabs and to this day I think they are the most amazing pets ever! I have had an Elephant nose fish, Butterfly Fish (Freshwater), a baby whale which is a type of rare tropical fish, I had to special order it. Several species of freshwater sharks and eels, mainly peacock. I also had Dragonfish (violet gobies) Bumblebee Gobies and several crayfish and freshwater clams. I had over 25 fish tanks and then when I started into guppy breeding I climbed well into 50 tanks and a 50 gallon pond. I am wanting to get a rope fish at some point too. Along with all the fish I had a pet Blue Jay named Rudy and a quarter wolf dog I found as a stray.

My dad bought ten koi that we have in a large outdoor pond during the summer. The biggest one will eat right out your hand. He will even let people stroke him. Some of the others will do the same thing. There are a couple that are shy. They are rather pretty when the sun is shining.

Last year there were a couple hundred baby koi. So my dad bought a large tank and we caught some. We kept them in there and fed them over the winter. We are going to put them in the pond later. We may even sell some.

It's suddenly up in the air if I'll get a kit this year. Here I was worrying that I'd end up with a girl fox as opposed to a boy(like I want), and i should have been worrying that I'd get one at all.

The breeder has been having awful luck, the weather has been horrid up there and between storms and heat he lost 4 of the 5 babies in his first gray fox litter. One female is left who hasn't had her kits yet. We'll see. :/

I have a young ball python, a leopard gecko, and a Russian tortoise. I've been looking into getting a hognose lately. If anyone has experience with them, I'd love some advice.

Any animal that is taken for a pet and is not domesticated is considered an exotic animal. The rule doesn't really make much sense, but it works like that.

But then rats/ferrets/hamsters aren't exotics.

My fifteen month old rat Truffle has a tumour growing and is going to have it removed in two days.

I'm assuming birds count as exotics haha.

user posted image

One female cockatiel and two male budgies. Archimedes, Jeffrey, and Dimitri from left to right.

user posted image

<3

user posted image

Here, have a picture of Tsathoggua.

WOW! Where'd you get him? (her? tongue.gif) I only have tiddly Marsh frogs xd.png

I used to have pet scorpions until I made them a cool tunnel out of clay that was up against the glass so you could see in...but the clay wasn't set when I put them back in the tank and they died...presumably from the clay.

unsure.gif

That actually gives me an idea...a SCORPION DRAGON!!! How good would that be?! Maybe I should move this to the Requests section....lol...although the amount of requests in those threads is ridiculous so I'm guessing it has already been proposed.

While I myself have never had a truly exotic pet ( closest thing being hamsters) I have been looking into getting a Bearded Dragon. I hear they are fantastic beginner reptiles and have been giving them extensive research. Been looking on the Internet, YouTube, multiple care sites... Now the biggest chanlnpenge is convincing my parents...

And while their technically not pets; my uncle owns a ranch so, he's got a lotta cows... tongue.gif

user posted image

Here, have a picture of Tsathoggua.

Is that a bullfrog? I really like those! I caught one in our pool yesterday(note: our pool is not yet chlorinated)

Edited by shadow_claw

Well, after a lot of name calling(not on my side), drama, and overall just bad feelings all around I'm getting my gray fox kit this Tuesday. sleep.gif

oooo i bet its gonna be so cute, Draco!

i have been dying to get a hedgehog, but my parents keep saying im too irresponsible. i am not..

This is the second caterpillar that's managed to escape. How the hell does a caterpillar manage to escape?

I currently have a tarantula, some praying mantises, both water and land turtles, a fire bellied newt, a water snail, a hamster, and frogs. Come to think of it, I guess most of the pets I've kept in the past could be considered exotic. I've had millepedes, tortoises, toads, ect.

Edited by Ladybugheart

I have a Canary and 2 guinea pigs but they aren't exotic.. I'll be getting 2 rats Cookie and Cream soon.. My sister has a rat

I bred rats for over 6 years. I had every type you could think of ( dwarf, hairless, dumbo,siamese, every color blue, merle,etc) and fancy mice for over 5 years.

I only own twoo animals that are NOT exotic, lol; a cat and a goldfish.

All the others are exotics and are owned by both myself and my fiancee

Reptiles:

2 BCI (common red tail boas)

1 Dumerils Boa

1 Panama Boa

1 Argentine B&W Tegu

1 Colombian Black and Gold Tegu

1 "Primordial Dwarf" savanna Monitor

Inverts:

Roaches:

B. Dubia

E./B. Fusca

Domino

Eublaberus sp. "Ivory"

Some hissers that we keep trying to feed off, but always seem to forget about and never seem to die off... We got them from a friend and they had a HORRIBLE mite infestation so we had to keep them far from our other cages/containers. They're also just a pain in the butt at this point in time since he doesn't have the time to take care of them, and I don't live near him anymore. Which is why we try to feed them off; but because they are in his closet, and not in the "bug room" we both forget about them. :/

Beetles:

Harlequin Flower Beetles

Blue Death Feigning beetles

Some other flower beetle that I can't remember the name of (Just got them Sunday)

I think that's it...... I'm trying to go through all the names of everyone in my head and trying to remember cage placements so I don't forget anyone, but I think I got 'em all down! lol

OH! We have a couple of H. Mac. slings (baby tarantulas). He also just got those on Sunday, I do believe, lol.

I think there's more inverts, but I'm not too sure.

I really want to get a Fennec Fox. I might have to wait a few years, since I'm heading off to college...

Most exotic thing I have right now is a Bengal cat xd.png

I really want to get a Fennec Fox. I might have to wait a few years, since I'm heading off to college...

Most exotic thing I have right now is a Bengal cat xd.png

Waaaant. Dream cat.