TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

I used to have a ferret....I remember my old principal back in elementary school had a snake in her office.

I'm pretty sure somebody I know has a sugar glider. Another of my friends is getting a hedgehog. My friend's former stepbrother had a few...lizards, I think.

I want a ferret named Pete, and an alpaca named Quinn. I have names picked out only because I used them in stories.

At work, and a group of teenagers come in. One of the guys kept tossing me furtive glaces while a girl was taking something out of the pocket of her shirt. Out pops a sugar glider. I think the kids were expecting me to coo over it, or be shocked. I just told them animals weren't allowed in the store.

Fox update: I'm almost positive I'll be picking him up in June/July...which I'm sure is going to infuriate my manager. sleep.gif

I've had a few snakes in the past......uh, mostly garter snakes that I caught lol, but yeah, they died sad.gif

I currently own two rats. An albino, named Pepper, and a..uh.....I think he's supposed to be a hooded? Named Taffy.

I got Taffy first, from a pet store that was giving rats away free with the purchase of a cage, though..I was told I didn't have to buy a cage (but did anyway cause I needed one lol) that, they just wanted them gone.

Apparently, there was some lady that had a male and a female, and, refused to separate them. So, you know how rats make babies..or, how often. They are super breeding MACHINES! The lady kept bringing to babies to this pet store, and..they finally had to kick her out and ban her sad.gif cause they'd get so many and they felt she was being irresponsible.

So, Taffy is a bit of a jerk, more "wild". I think that is because the people at the pet store didn't really handle them, and also...his owner didn't handle him or his brothers and sisters a lot...I think, she just dumped them when they got old enough to be separated from their parents.

I mean, I can hold him and all, and pet him..but, I have to watch my fingers and such. I cannot put my fingers in the cage where he is, he WILL bite. He's better when he's out of the cage and he's on my lap but, I still don't trust him that far lol

Pepper is very docile. I got him at petco. He's more skiddish though, and, I do believe that's because Taffy is the dominate one of the two, though, Pepper is bigger.

It's funny, they both eat the same, but, Pepper is fatter (not overweight, just bigger) and Taffy isn't. Quite odd.

ALSO, someone told me once that, Ferret's are banned in California........why is that?

don't have any exotic animals, although i would really like to get a rat. :3

but once, when i was in portugal, i cought a little lizard and kept him the time i was there. i was rally sad when i had to release him before i went home.

ALSO, someone told me once that, Ferret's are banned in California........why is that?

Aw, your rats sound so cute!

As for the Cali ferret ban:

California "is home to the largest food and agriculture economy in the nation" and "is one of the most biologically diverse areas in the world." Therefore, the introduction of exotic, alien, or invasive species is a serious concern in California.

Importation and possession of domestic ferrets have been restricted California since 1933, when the first State law restricting the importing of animals into the California was passed.

Cali has super strong laws about exotic animals.

I have two Amel Cornsnakes.

Ones male, the others... small - too small to be probed yet... despite it's age. No idea what's going on there, but it's healthy enough, so that's the main thing - gender isn't really much of an issue xd.png. They are separate anyway, Spider is about a year or two younger than Steven. I've had them both since hatchlings, and they are pretty calm about being handled.

I keep their sheddings too - that freaks some people out. All the more reason to do it. laugh.gif . It wasn't so good when my cats found the sheddings, and I found the cats sittin on my bed eating them. That was a little creepy. xd.png

I don't have any rats - my friend has rats though - beautiful they are - but I don't know what it is, but they all seem to be getting ill or having cancer. I personally prefer mice, and would love a mouse - but the only rodent my mother allowed me to have was a hamster - still cute, my old one was a proper little ninja xd.png. She scared the cats! laugh.gif But my mother is scared of the tails on rats, mice and other various rodents - remind her of worms apparently, and she hates insects and creepy crawlies xd.png. Chinchilla's, rabbits and guinea pigs she's OK with, but she wont let us have anything like that because they are "too big" xd.png. And expensive.

We both want a lizard, but feeding live insects to one is just... no... xd.png. So we want one that doesn't eat insects. laugh.gif

Honestly, I would rather stick to normal, non-exotic pets like cats, dogs, and fish.

Although, I always thought that owning a ferret or a rat would be pretty cool, they are just too cute!

Snakes on the other hand.... No, never. I'm scared to death of 'em.

The only exotic pets I really ever wanted to own are chinchillas and prairie dogs. My parents were even thinking about getting a prairie dog, but I don't think we will. :-)

I have a parrot that is illegal to have in some states, infact illegal to even bring going through some states, other states have regulations to bring her into even if just traveling. She is awesome the only reason why she is not aloud is for the simple fact it is the only parrot species that builds a nest ( a huge nest with many rooms for the flock to live in, that and they love fruits and veggies.

Cool part is they can even survive in cold even snow, shes an awesome bird almost 9 months old now I love her shes my baby her name is SuzieQ she is a Quaker Parrot

Oh and besides my two bunnies, I have a parrot, a frog, and hermit crabs. The frog was a rescue- her old owner was going to flush her down the toliet. Now she has a big 20 gallon tank and is a lot happier wub.gif

I have a parrot that is illegal to have in some states, infact illegal to even bring going through some states, other states have regulations to bring her into even if just traveling. She is awesome the only reason why she is not aloud is for the simple fact it is the only parrot species that builds a nest ( a huge nest with many rooms for the flock to live in, that and they love fruits and veggies.

Cool part is they can even survive in cold even snow, shes an awesome bird almost 9 months old now I love her shes my baby her name is SuzieQ she is a Quaker Parrot

Apparently its more that they're temperate birds and large, self-sustaining feral colonies can build out of a few escapees. They're considered agricultural pests, though whether they actually are or not is debated.

Apparently its more that they're temperate birds and large, self-sustaining feral colonies can build out of a few escapees. They're considered agricultural pests, though whether they actually are or not is debated.

Correct, I can see where they could become a problem, some states will have big events where they take down the over sized nest and catch all the babies and find them new homes which is sort of cool but still to me if they are in the wild Id personally think it would be hard on the parents to have their home destroy and their young snached from them though sad to think about i can see why they do it as a means to control the population.

Super smart bird though and great fun to have

Edited by Trinketguu

I have a ferret, he is my first, and he's completely perfect in every way. He's pretty much my best bro. biggrin.gif

Also have 2 P. muelleri (Rainbow Stag Beetles) adults and one larva that is busy growing, and some fish hanging around. I live in Japan so getting pet beetles is a common/cheap thing here. I like this species particularly ('niji-iro kuwagata') because they live a long time as adults--up to 18 months--and they're small and very attractive.

I have a hamster... I don't know if that counts as an exotic animal,but if rats do,it probably does,right?

I own three ferrets - furry little bundles of joy, each and every one of them! I also own a betta (Chinese fighting fish), and I plan on getting my falconry license and obtaining a kestrel in the near future.

Do pet rocks count? .O.

Nah, I don't have any. Trying to convince my mum to let me get a scorpion, though. ¬.¬

Edited by Sinister-by-Nature

ah, i had two ferrets at one point. one of them was really chubby and cute and the other one was a beautiful silvery color.

i miss them both so much. they're so fun to watch when they're excited and running around.

i still want a pet rat, though. so adorable.

I have a hamster... I don't know if that counts as an exotic animal,but if rats do,it probably does,right?

Any animal that is taken for a pet and is not domesticated is considered an exotic animal. The rule doesn't really make much sense, but it works like that.

We plan on getting a water buffalo. I don't know when, but it will certainly be after we finish the work on the fences.

Contacted the breeder asking about being notified when the gray fox kits are born as opposed to being notified when they are ready for pick up because I have to give advanced notice at work for time off. He told me to remind him in 2-3 weeks as the kits should be born by then!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

So...8-9 more weeks until I drive up to get my little guy!!!

I have a corn snake if that counts! xd.png

I have 3 corn snakes. They are all different color morphs and are all very cute and curious.

Contacted the breeder asking about being notified when the gray fox kits are born as opposed to being notified when they are ready for pick up because I have to give advanced notice at work for time off. He told me to remind him in 2-3 weeks as the kits should be born by then!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

So...8-9 more weeks until I drive up to get my little guy!!!

user posted image

user posted image

This will be relevant to your interests.

*sigh* the closest thing I've had that's not even close to exotic is a stupid goldfish. The pet I really want is a calm, docile snake. alot.png