TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

Somehow(my brother) all my neighbors found out I'm getting a gray fox in a few months. I've been barraged by questions and concerns over the last few days. I can understand my neighbors being concerned, but it's starting to get really annoying.

Don't let them know you're irritated. For whatever reason, people assume that when you're quiet about something, that it's bad.

Yeah I know. I've been politely answering all pertinent questions, but it's not like I'm getting a pack of wolves. Which is exactly what a few of my neighbors are acting like I'm getting. Like I'm putting their children and pets in grave danger.

To quote a wise individual, "Amazing how everybody thinks it's a spiritual, miraculous experience for wild foxes to be playing in their yards, but the thought of a tame, captive one is horrendous."

Fear them not Draco Knight, its normal for people to be curious and be up in other's business. If you've ever experienced ideal working offices, rumors and gossip spreads like WILDFIRE!!!

As for me, I have always wanted a bird of prey, my DREAM is a Harpy Eagle. Unfortunately, I'm sure that you can only be a falconer, so I guess I will settle with a Macaw. xd.png

I considered getting a ferret, though someone I work with said she had quite a bad experience with them. Though I've heard a lot of people who swear by them, so I'm sure they'd make great pets. But my place probably isn't really small-animal-friendly. sad.gif

I have two ferrets currently. But have had 5 in total. I even had all five at one point.

I also have a betta fish right now, and have kept several over the years lol

I also have a double dapple dachshund and a gray tabby cat, but they aren't really exotic xd.png unless you count my dog's freaky derp eyes X3

Edited by agirl3003

ADF stands for African dwarf frog, which is an entirely different species. Just saying.

I currently have my 6 gallon tank up and running, and its tank mates include;

1 female Betta

4 albino corydoras

2 true African dwarf frogs.

I made sure i got African dwarf frogs and not Clawed frogs, since i'm well aware of the size and threat an African clawed frog can pose to an African dwarf, let alone a female betta. Stores often sell young ACF[African clawed frogs] by the title african dwarf. This is not true, since ADF's do not grow large, don't come in albino, and have front webbed feet.

Eesh. 6 gallons is way too small for cories. they prefer 10, or preferably 20, but I keep mine in a 10. I'd invest in a 10 gallon for that setup, and don't add any more fish when you do.

At the moment, I have two turtles named Squiggy and Puddles. The live in an eighty gallon tank and share it with a tiny catfish. I have been wanting a ball python for a while, but my mom is terrified of snakes.

I got a flying squirrel recently. smile.gif She's not weaned yet, but she's already learning how to do tiny jumps and using me as her own personal tree. I'm on a list to get another one in October. I'll feel better having two, since they're such social animals.

I just got a rat recently. Her name is Tsubaki and she's a black and white hooded rat. She's so cute :3

I actually lost quite a few of my pets to illness and old age:

Kyle (Mouse, Died of Deppresion from losing his brothers)

Kenny (Mouse, Dropped dead for no apperant reason, not unsual in mice)

Stanley (Mouse, same reason as kenny)

Sonniku (Mouse, Old age)

Charli (Gerbil, Tumors)

I miss all of them :'(

So... this summer I'll be celebrating my first birthday after moving out. I plan to get a snake at that time, both as a gift over a decade in coming and as an 'in your face' to my snake-hater dad. For the longest time I wanted a Cornsnake, but events have made me take a look at myself and re-think...

Cornsnakes are great, but they're Colubrids... Colubrids are wiggly and energetic, and personally I don't think I could handle a snake well if it kept moving a whole lot. I'm low-key, and I think I'd do better with a snake that is that way also...

In enter boas and pythons. Granted, most of the popular ones get a good bit larger than a corn, but the ones I've run across are comparatively sluggish and just as friendly. Of all of them, I've narrowed down my choices to two - possibly three.

The first is the Dumerils Boa. It's pretty much the 'perfect big snake': docile, slow moving, beautiful, and they get to be pretty good size(4-6ft on average, 8ft tops). If I could get one on a diet of f/t rodents I'd be happy to no end. Unfortunately they're very shy, and if stressed can be prone to not eating. While this doesn't rule them out, it opens the door to other possibilities.

The second option is the Coastal Carpet Python. I've never had the pleasure of handling one of these, but I've seen videos and 'talked' to owners through the internet. They're more active than a Dumerils and like any snake can be nippy as babies but can be socialized with regular handling. While most don't get to be longer than 8ft, they can get over 12ft on rare occasions.

Then there's the last option, the Red-tailed Boa. I wasn't considering this as an option until recently, when I had the chance to handle a very sweet male of the species. While he's already been sold, I still get the chance to handle him frequently as his new owner pays for him slowly but surely. When he finally goes to his new home, I know I will grieve. And so these snakes too are added as a possibility, even though large males can reach 9ft or a little more and females can reach a whopping 14ft.

So yeah... I have trouble deciding. The local pet-store has offered to order both a Dumerils and a Coastal Carpet for me to pick from. I just have to ask when I'm ready, which will likely be two or so weeks prior to my birthday. If I ask soon enough I can probably convince them to get a Red-tail instead of one of the other two. Honestly if I had the means I'd get all 3. But I can't, so I'm politely asking for everyone's opinion.

Should I change course and get a Coastal Carpet?

Follow my original dream with a Dumerils?

Or should I take a chance with a Red-tail?

To clarify my situation, I'm currently living in NW Florida. I don't live alone, and while this is my first 'official' snake I've kept a few wild-caught ones before while living in Louisiana(never more than a week or so though because I didn't want to get caught). I'm fairly knowledgeable about snakes, and if the wild ones count I'm also fairly experienced. I don't mind taking a few defensive hits while it's a baby; that's usually what baby snakes do, and I'd rather take it from a baby of any kind than the adult. Size a somewhat of an issue, but right now I'm more worried about the 55-gal tank I have in the process of being set up. It's a tall, so unless I get some climbing branches I may soon need bigger house for the snake.

Also, for anyone who wants to suggest a Ball Python... I have nothing against those, but it's not what I want. Nearly every Ball I've handled has been a very impersonal experience, and I just find it hard to form any sort of connection even if I handle the same snake repeatedly and for a long time.

Anyway, please vote and leave a comment. The top two will be my two final options that I'll ask for them to order for me to pick from. If it turns out to be a landslide though, I'll just order the one and save them the trouble.

Thanks!

All three great choices man, I have worked with both dumeril's and red tails so I know they are very docile species. Many people start off with ball pythons but you were a lot like me with my first snake and didn't want a ball python.

So long as you do your research on dumeril's and red tails you should be fine they have fairly simple care (both have very similar care needs as well) and don't need tanks that get that long so they don't take up much space. Dumeril's are a lot more laid back however in my experiences so if you want a snake that will coil around you and relax a red tail is more likely (I have held several dumeril's and they never coil they just wrap their tails around whatever appendage is close and then relax).

As for carpet pythons, I can't say much because I am used too big pythons not arboreal ones like GTPs and CCPs all I can say is that they need a lot of humidity and shouldn't be handled as much as RTBs and Dumeril's

I'm really fond of red-tailed boas myself, but the reliability and reputation of the snake breeder is a defining factor I look for (as well as proper care, of course). Pet stores make me kind of suspicious. I strongly encourage thorough checks into the background of where you'll get your snake, but I'm sure you already know all that-- so I apologize if I sound insulting =o

There are some staggeringly beautiful snakes out there and cool-looking morphs, so I'm sure you'll find the perfect fit for you =)

Personally I love my corn babies and find them rather docile to handle, without a bunch of racing or struggling. Though I'm sure that's just because I've handled them since they ate their first F/T pinkies.

You will most assuredly need more than a 55 gallon aquarium for any of the snakes listed above, especially the Dumeril as from other snaker handler's experience they are not climbers so would find no use for additional branches, instead prefering low on the ground basking spots and hides. Dumerils do not do very well in aquariums due to their shy nature, however if you're willing to provide a cover for the sides and provide plenty of hides, they are fairly easy keepers from what I've heard from friends.

The coastals are more arborial and do like climbing so branches would be helpful for them. However they ideally need 7-8 feet of ground space [per other snake keepers opinion] But other than enclosure size seem like very easy keepers. Other than some do seem to have an aversion to rats preferring instead several mice, but that varies seems to be an individual preference per the snake.

I have an ocean turtle atm. don't think it's too exotic though.

but I'm going to be gifted a chinchilla baby one day! my sister's hubby has a brother who has a pair of adults, a boy and a girl. they haven't produced any babies yet ( they say they are still too young), but as soon as they do I'll be gifted one biggrin.gif I'm so excited! chinchillas are so pretty! can't wait wub.gif

I have an ocean turtle atm. don't think it's too exotic though.

What is an 'ocean turtle'?

So... this summer I'll be celebrating my first birthday after moving out. I plan to get a snake at that time, both as a gift over a decade in coming and as an 'in your face' to my snake-hater dad. For the longest time I wanted a Cornsnake, but events have made me take a look at myself and re-think...

Cornsnakes are great, but they're Colubrids... Colubrids are wiggly and energetic, and personally I don't think I could handle a snake well if it kept moving a whole lot. I'm low-key, and I think I'd do better with a snake that is that way also...

In enter boas and pythons. Granted, most of the popular ones get a good bit larger than a corn, but the ones I've run across are comparatively sluggish and just as friendly. Of all of them, I've narrowed down my choices to two - possibly three.

The first is the Dumerils Boa. It's pretty much the 'perfect big snake': docile, slow moving, beautiful, and they get to be pretty good size(4-6ft on average, 8ft tops). If I could get one on a diet of f/t rodents I'd be happy to no end. Unfortunately they're very shy, and if stressed can be prone to not eating. While this doesn't rule them out, it opens the door to other possibilities.

The second option is the Coastal Carpet Python. I've never had the pleasure of handling one of these, but I've seen videos and 'talked' to owners through the internet. They're more active than a Dumerils and like any snake can be nippy as babies but can be socialized with regular handling. While most don't get to be longer than 8ft, they can get over 12ft on rare occasions.

Then there's the last option, the Red-tailed Boa. I wasn't considering this as an option until recently, when I had the chance to handle a very sweet male of the species. While he's already been sold, I still get the chance to handle him frequently as his new owner pays for him slowly but surely. When he finally goes to his new home, I know I will grieve. And so these snakes too are added as a possibility, even though large males can reach 9ft or a little more and females can reach a whopping 14ft.

So yeah... I have trouble deciding. The local pet-store has offered to order both a Dumerils and a Coastal Carpet for me to pick from. I just have to ask when I'm ready, which will likely be two or so weeks prior to my birthday. If I ask soon enough I can probably convince them to get a Red-tail instead of one of the other two. Honestly if I had the means I'd get all 3. But I can't, so I'm politely asking for everyone's opinion.

Should I change course and get a Coastal Carpet?

Follow my original dream with a Dumerils?

Or should I take a chance with a Red-tail?

To clarify my situation, I'm currently living in NW Florida. I don't live alone, and while this is my first 'official' snake I've kept a few wild-caught ones before while living in Louisiana(never more than a week or so though because I didn't want to get caught). I'm fairly knowledgeable about snakes, and if the wild ones count I'm also fairly experienced. I don't mind taking a few defensive hits while it's a baby; that's usually what baby snakes do, and I'd rather take it from a baby of any kind than the adult. Size a somewhat of an issue, but right now I'm more worried about the 55-gal tank I have in the process of being set up. It's a tall, so unless I get some climbing branches I may soon need bigger house for the snake.

Also, for anyone who wants to suggest a Ball Python... I have nothing against those, but it's not what I want. Nearly every Ball I've handled has been a very impersonal experience, and I just find it hard to form any sort of connection even if I handle the same snake repeatedly and for a long time.

Anyway, please vote and leave a comment. The top two will be my two final options that I'll ask for them to order for me to pick from. If it turns out to be a landslide though, I'll just order the one and save them the trouble.

Thanks!

I don't know much about the boas that you mention, specifically, other than my mother's red-tail Damien. He was fairly docile in the beginning, but as he got older and (much much MUCH) bigger and was handled less, he got meaner.

As for handling, yes, handling them often can lead to more docility, but it depends on -how- they're handled and when. In my experience, you have a greater chance of leading to snapping issues if you mostly handle them around their feeding time, when you smell like something they consider to be food, or when you only handle them directly out of the tank for short periods of time. Also, most of the snappy younger snakes I've met were fed in their habitats, so they automatically tried to bite anything that was in their tank with them. When they're 'free-range' so to speak, and allowed out of the tank and around the house with you (as long as you're in close contact/proximity, and keep them out of potential hazard areas such as the kitchen floor and near vents) they'll be tamer than if you only handle them from immediately out of the tank or habitat, or if you only handle them every once in a while. Damien started getting more snappy when he got over 5 feet long and was hard to move, and so spent more time in his habitat.

(I would like to interject that I had a ball python for 6 years, and though it does take a little while to get them to warm up to you, if you're the primary handler from the time they've hatched they're much more sociable. But I will agree, they are very shy...hence the name, lol, as when they're scared, they wrap themselves into a ball. If you're looking for a low-key snake, however, mine was content to chill out around my neck, in my hoodie, or wrapped up on a belt loop when he was still small enough to get through them)

However, no matter what you do, check the local regulations. You mention that you're in NW Florida, and if I recall correctly, there are some parts of Florida (if not the whole state) that are banning the sale and possession of pythons/boids due to the irresponsible people who've let theirs out into the wild and the population increase due to storms damaging houses and some of the snakes getting out that way, too. If they're not banned in your area, I think you may still have to have them registered and micro-chipped, but it's a good idea to check that over before getting your hopes up.

Whatever you do, good luck, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy whatever breed you end up getting biggrin.gif Snakes are fabulous pets, and deserve a lot more love than the community at large likes to give them lol.

Honestly, I want a python. But all my friends are like: ewwww! So i'm kinda mad right now that I can't get something I want cus everyone will start thinking i'm crazy or something. I do want a wolf as a pet biggrin.gif Maybe if i could tame it..

I have heard good things about Coastals, although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting one yet.

I plan to get a red-tail myself, although I am going to be meticulous about its socialization when I do.

While I have heard that some red tails can be more "snappy", I've also heard that not feeding them in their tank and not approaching them head on (and quickly), can help prevent nips.

I very much dislike corn snakes. While I am sure they are wonderful pets for some people, I don't think I would like having one. I enjoy hanging out with my little hugger around my arm or curled up in my hair (he likes wrapping himself around my ponytail).

I have a ball, and he's the cutest, most easy-going little dude ever.

<3

I call him fluffy (because no one can pronounce his real name, despite how simple it is).

Kathy, I doubt everyone will think you are crazy. Although if you are concerned, maybe you would be wise to consider getting a lizard? I heard bearded dragons make especially good pets, and those are by far more socially acceptable. (Just be sure to do research before getting any exotic pets as they often need specialized care. )

They also don't reach nearly the same size as iguanas, although they can be very lazy as adults (or so I hear).

Honestly, when I tell people I have a snake, half of them say "zomg, I hate snakes" and they other half think it's awesome.

However, there's always the few odd (and maybe slightly insane) people who ask me if I'm afraid he'll try to eat me.

(He's a little under 3 feet long)

Edited by Pink

I just got a rat recently. Her name is Tsubaki and she's a black and white hooded rat. She's so cute :3

I actually lost quite a few of my pets to illness and old age:

Kyle (Mouse, Died of Deppresion from losing his brothers)

Kenny (Mouse, Dropped dead for no apperant reason, not unsual in mice)

Stanley (Mouse, same reason as kenny)

Sonniku (Mouse, Old age)

Charli (Gerbil, Tumors)

I miss all of them :'(

I highly recommend you get a second rat. They are incredibly social creatures and shouldn't be kept alone.

I have a Russian tortoise as my most exotic pet. His name's Nickolai Igneous Zalinski, or as we affectionately call him, 'Nicky'. Had for only a little over a year now, but I've grown pretty fond of him. Decorated around his box with little knight, horse, and dragon figurines. 'Cus he's just cool like that.

I have always wanted a rat. But, I've had a draw back from the idea when we had mice in the house during winter. It gave me the creeps, and now I think I will not in the future. Snakes still hold quite an appeal, though.

I second GhostMouse's rat comment! They are much happier in pairs or groups.

I have 4 rats, 2 groups of 2. All boys, Fizban, PePe (Pepper Jack), Yin, and Yang. Fizban and PePe are about 16-18 months now I think, and Yin and Yang are brothers and are 6 months old. We'd like them to all be in 1 big group, but intros didn't go so well. We're going to try again sometime.

Honestly, I want a python. But all my friends are like: ewwww! So i'm kinda mad right now that I can't get something I want cus everyone will start thinking i'm crazy or something. I do want a wolf as a pet biggrin.gif Maybe if i could tame it..

Who cares what people think, get a snake! I got two corn snakes and my mom hates snakes, but I don't care. Best decision, I love my snakes so very much.

I use to breed and raise rats, mice, gerbils, and hamsters. I've had 3 turtles. I've had a few fish. I've had 2 hermit crabs, one lived for 7 years the other one lived for 2 days... tongue.gif