TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. Just poke me and I'll delete if so.

My younger sister is looking to get a new pet. She's an animal lover at heart, so she's interested in everything from cats to reptiles. She's had dogs, cats, and fish in the past, but never anything "exotic." She's especially interested in reptiles like bearded dragons. However, she dislikes bugs so feeding would be an issue. I suggested getting a snake instead, as she does not mind the idea of feeding with rodents, but she's not sure if she has enough space for one. She's also looking for an animal that's social and interested in being held, which I believe snakes are not? I've never owned a reptile, so I'm not sure. She's a beginner, so that limits options as well. She doesn't want to get a small rodent like a hamster because of the smell. Fish are "boring." She works and goes to school (she's 17), so it would need to be animal that does not,need nearly constant attention/supervision/care as well. So I'm running out of ideas for her. 

Anyway, does anyone here have any ideas/tips/etc.? I don't want her to go to a pet store and get roped into adopting an animal that she won't be able to handle. I don't know anyone with reptiles or even other "exotic" pets, so I thought I would just post here.

Edited by The Dragoness

3 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. Just poke me and I'll delete if so.

My younger sister is looking to get a new pet. She's an animal lover at heart, so she's interested in everything from cats to reptiles. She's had dogs, cats, and fish in the past, but never anything "exotic." She's especially interested in reptiles like bearded dragons. However, she dislikes bugs so feeding would be an issue. I suggested getting a snake instead, as she does not mind the idea of feeding with rodents, but she's not sure if she has enough space for one. She's also looking for an animal that's social and interested in being held, which I believe snakes are not? I've never owned a reptile, so I'm not sure. She's a beginner, so that limits options as well. She doesn't want to get a small rodent like a hamster because of the smell. Fish are "boring." She works and goes to school (she's 17), so it would need to be animal that does not,need nearly constant attention/supervision/care as well. So I'm running out of ideas for her. 

Anyway, does anyone here have any ideas/tips/etc.? I don't want her to go to a pet store and get roped into adopting an animal that she won't be able to handle. I don't know anyone with reptiles or even other "exotic" pets, so I thought I would just post here.

Snakes shouldn't be an issue if she's okay with feeding rodents. They're not especially social-- they don't seem to care about interaction with people one way or another, but there are snakes that are more "friendly" or amicable to being held that others. My cornsnake was pretty easy to take care of, and they don't need a massive tank, usually about 30-40 gallons (20 gallon to start with if she gets a baby) for an adult should suffice. Pretty easy on the upkeep, don't smell, and eat frozen/thawed pretty readily so she doesn't have to worry about live feedings. Cornsnakes are decent "starter" snakes too, as she won't have to worry about keeping humidity constant and they're easy to handle. They can be a little skittish, but as they get older and grow accustomed to being handled, they chill out a bit. 

The only thing that doesn't quite match is that I don't believe most snakes actually seek out attention like a mammal would. I could be wrong, though. 

My go-to answer would have been a pair of rats, as they're highly sociable and loving and can keep each other company while she's at school/work, but if she doesn't like the smell then that's a no-go. 

On 11/2/2018 at 5:06 PM, hazeh said:

Snakes shouldn't be an issue if she's okay with feeding rodents. They're not especially social-- they don't seem to care about interaction with people one way or another, but there are snakes that are more "friendly" or amicable to being held that others. My cornsnake was pretty easy to take care of, and they don't need a massive tank, usually about 30-40 gallons (20 gallon to start with if she gets a baby) for an adult should suffice. Pretty easy on the upkeep, don't smell, and eat frozen/thawed pretty readily so she doesn't have to worry about live feedings. Cornsnakes are decent "starter" snakes too, as she won't have to worry about keeping humidity constant and they're easy to handle. They can be a little skittish, but as they get older and grow accustomed to being handled, they chill out a bit. 

The only thing that doesn't quite match is that I don't believe most snakes actually seek out attention like a mammal would. I could be wrong, though. 

My go-to answer would have been a pair of rats, as they're highly sociable and loving and can keep each other company while she's at school/work, but if she doesn't like the smell then that's a no-go. 

Thank you for the tips! I passed them on to her. I used to have a neighbor with a pair of super sweet rats, so I would totally adore them if she decided to get a pair, but she's looking into crested geckos at the moment. If I didn't have a nosy cat, I would maybe consider getting some myself. 

Just realized it's my leopard gecko Darcy's bday(ish).

He is seven years old. 

1 hour ago, Draco Knight said:

Just realized it's my leopard gecko Darcy's bday(ish).

He is seven years old. 

Happy hatchday, Darcy!

Leopard geckos are so cute, with their smiley faces and pudgy limbs.

How long can they live for?

1 hour ago, Harebelle said:

Happy hatchday, Darcy!

Leopard geckos are so cute, with their smiley faces and pudgy limbs.

How long can they live for?

Well...Geckos can live 6 to 10 years. If cared for 24/7, you will have a decade-long eye-licker 😂

We are having a pair of Lovebirds (can't imagine the noise of two so tiny parrots XD) and a set of three crested geckos. Those are really sweet and two of them are really good tempered so you can handle them good. But the other one is a bit shy, and so feeding living Food to her is always a bit strange, as she trys to run away first. But they are really cute and easy to care of for reptiles.

On 12/9/2018 at 9:26 AM, WildMagnolia said:

I have two bearded dragons. Once they get to be a few months old, they can be fed kale instead of crickets.

Bearded dragons of any age ideally should be fed both a mix of greens and veggies, and insects, but they need a lot less insects once they get older.

I still don't own any of my own exotic pets, but I recently started working for this really awesome company that does birthday parties and educational events with reptiles and I'm basically paid to care for ~50 exotic pets. I love the ball pythons.

I kinda realized I never made a post about it, and I guess at this point it's waaaaay late, but considering how often I posted about her in the past I guess I'll say something now: Tribble the fox passed away.

I didn't have a autopsy done. She had been losing  a little weight, I wasn't too concerned as her energy level was the same and she was eating fine. suddenly she started going downhill, and while I was debating putting her under the stress of a vet visit she passed away in her sleep. This was a few years ago.

Hello fellow lovers of exotic animals large and small. I personally own a 2 male cockatiels, one who is about 12 years old that I've had almost his whole life who was a per store bird and one who is about 19 years old that I adopted last year. The young guy Chewie (cause he's always been an active chew-er) is very outgoing and social, loves to sing and will beg for food any time I eat thanks to my fiance letting them ear off his plate. The older guy, Moe, was surrendered due to the helth of his owner along with 2 other birds that were bonded. He looked like a sad little vulture. The two birds jusr fell in instant love and now cant even be in separate rooms without calling for each other until they figure out what room they want to settle in. Little old man Moe had really starred to look and act more like a healthy bird ever since he met Chewie and even if he doesn't have long left st least it will be a good life. He wasn't handled at all in his last home and didn't have much free fly time. He still doesn't really like to be handled but accepts us for the most part.

Nanaki is our little clown, a green cheeked conure, he's 3 and my fiance got home from an unnamed pet store (which has still very conflicted about since I work in animal welfare) but he was the only conure there and you could tell he was shut down. When he came home he refused to leave his cage and was terrified of hands. He worked with him with popcorn and YouTube and now he's so attached to my fiance, loves people especially guests that come over, and knows how to say 'give me kiss' 'thank you' 'muwha' ' beep beep' and he can laugh. He is petrified of nets, and destroy calls whenever we use the net for our fish tank so either he had a terrible breeder or a really bad time at the store. 

The last is my little Holland lop Benny who came into the shelter I work at so so tiny. His owners who found out the responsibility of a bunny was too much work after getting him from a breeder said he was 2 months old but having worked there I'd say he was just over a month. Babby buns should stay with mom until at least 2 months. I took him home to foster him to get him big enough to be neutered then adopted. He wouldn't eat his pellets or hay so I had to stir babby food in his pellets and give him his hay in toilet paper tubes to make it exciting. Well I ended up falling in love with him and he bonded so close to us, he's not my fist foster but he is my first foster failure meaning I adopted him! He's so sweet, a litter box using free roaming bun who loves to hop in the couch and hang out with me.

Then there's work! I work specifically with the small and exotic animals at the shelter and have cared for, and fell in love with: bunnies, Guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, an African side neck turtle, a fire belly toad, chickens, a goat, several pot bellied pigs, ball pythons, hermit crabs finches, budgies, a dove, Quaker parrots, and cockatiels. When your there 5 days a week they all feel like your own babies and the absolute best day is when they find their forever home!

At one point in my life I was delivering bundles of Wall Street Journal papers to distribution points throughout the LA area.

I had told some of the people about my snake, 'Sir Giles', a 3-1/2 foot Gopher snake that I caught in my driveway in Riverside county.  One night, I put him in a small  cage and brought him along in the truck with me.  Most people were kinda freaked out about him, but I showed them how easy he was to handle.  I NEVER forced anyone to touch him, but I did encourage them to do so to see that he wasn't slimy, etc...  If they refused,no problem.  After I got him used to me, he never bit me, did a few times at first, but when he realized I wasn't going to hurt him, he became calmer.  I've been bitten a number of times in my life (none poisonous, thankfully) but never developed any infections, etc.  I just washed the bite area when I got home and that was it.  I did catch a few Rattlesnakes and ate them, but after 2 or 3 I just let them be or moved them to less populated areas.  One 40"+ female Red Diamondback I have photos of her head within 6 inches of my tennis shoe clad foot, before I moved her away.  I took the photos myself while looking straight down at her moving towards me...  Please note!!!  I knew what I was doing and did not feel to be in any danger!  I do not recommend for anyone to do this themselves!!!  If bitten, you may not die, but you will definitely feel like you want to!  (this last from people who HAVE been bitten).  Above all, if bitten by a rattlesnake, DO NOT PANIC!  Most people do not die from being bitten by a rattlesnake.  Try to get to a place of treatment as quickly as possible, but do not run and try to not let yourself get into a panic.   

Haha, just remembered one day at a Pioneer Day Potluck picnic, I brought in a bowl of 'Rattlesnake Salad' and had two sets of rattles lying in front of the bowls.  To this day, people still think that it was Rattler meat, but it was really just chicken meat in a chicken salad...  No one ever caught on... :)

As for Sir Giles, after about three years I took him out into the boonies, well away from people and turned him loose.  He had grown some and his terrarium had gotten a bit too small.  My sons and daughter enjoyed their experience's with him...  The wife? not so much, lol although she wasn't afraid to handle him...  I did notice that some relatives didn't come around as often, but whether it was because of him or me, I'll never know...

I was recently gifted a tiny little snail baby (who I have set as my profile pic).  One of the zoology demonstrators has a snail that laid a bunch of fertile eggs, so he had an excess of little snails.  I was talking to him after a practical (where they brought in insects from the 'reptile room' to view) and everyone in my class is now aware that I adore squishy things with many legs.  I stayed behind to spend time watching the big walking sticks eating and struck a convo with the demonstrator, where I told him about how I had adored giant African land snails for some time, and he brought me one the next week, complete with a container and all, that is suitable for its current size.  I've got no idea what species the snail is from, but from the information I do have and pictures, I'm pretty sure that it is Achatina sp., possibly A. fulica or A. achatina (the biggest snail species!)  It'll take about six months to reach full size and I'll be back home for four months in the summer, which is halfway across the world and I doubt I'll get permission from the government to let it come with me, but I think I'll be able to ask the lab people to keep it for me for that time.  The owner of the reptile room, a professor who did his PhD on centipedes and is currently working with venomous snakes, has told me that it would be fine to leave my pets in the reptile room over the summer.

some rotten person abandoned a beautiful Ferret behind City Hall where I live...  The news paper said that it was illegal to own a Ferret in California, but I've know a number of people who have, including my son...  

I have wanted a snake for years and finally I have my very own noodle baby! She's a baby rosy boa that I got at a reptile expo yesterday and her name is Major Motoko Kusanagi and I love her. She was one of two rosy boas they had for sale, and she was very active, exploring her little box, and when they took her out to let me get a look at her, she bit me because she could smell the live rodents a few stands over. So naturally I had to take that one.

8 hours ago, TCA said:

I have wanted a snake for years and finally I have my very own noodle baby! She's a baby rosy boa that I got at a reptile expo yesterday and her name is Major Motoko Kusanagi and I love her. She was one of two rosy boas they had for sale, and she was very active, exploring her little box, and when they took her out to let me get a look at her, she bit me because she could smell the live rodents a few stands over. So naturally I had to take that one.

CONGRATS ON YOUR NOODLE!

Good method to choose a noodle by.

I have a bearded dragon named Mango, hes a high red with beautiful black/blue patterns on his back and neck. 

Conicidentally he likes to nom mango pieces on occasion XD

Update on my ferrets. Bandit, or Lucy Bandito Three-Tears as my brother named her, our lovely almost-9-year-old sweetheart, passed away on April 8th. Old age, older than we thought she'd get. Right before spring too, sadly. RIP, you candy thief.

So, how did I cope?

I was dumb, went to the pet store for fish stuff the next day, and came home with a squirmy baby ferret. No regrets.

His (yes, it's a boy, our first male ever) is named Duke Chipper Nipper, or Duke for short. He's two and a half months old, according to his papers.  Duke because ferrets "dook" when they're happy. Chipper because he had a chip in one of his front fangs when we got him. Nipper because when my bro first held him...little Duke took a big chomp right into his beard, barely missed his chin.

Duke gets along happily with his four older sisters. Rosie and Lily Adams turn 3 years old this spring. Whisper and Snickett Sunshine turn 2 years old around the same time. Bandit would've turned 9 years old. Hopefully I can post photos of little Duke soon.

Edited by animatedrose

I have so many exotic pets I can't count em, but here is my best bet at the 'master list'!

1. An axolotl named Cookie ❤️

2. One friendly African Gray Parrot ❤️

3. A beardie named Gandalf ❤️

4. Two pet rats, Tom and Jerry (how cringey am I??) ❤️

5. Three pet hedgehogs, Bush, Hedge and Thicket (my younger sister named those.) ❤️

6. A pet ferret named Furret (hey, i like pokemon!) ❤️

7. Four terrapins. You know what they're named. Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo. I'm very cheesy. ❤️

8. Three salamanders which I haven't named. ❤️

9. A blue tongued skink named Loaf!!!!! (my first exotic)  ❤️❤️

10. A fish tank including some freshwater fish. ❤️

11. SEVEN SNAKES BECAUSE I LIKE DANGER NOODLES. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ 

12. A bird-eater tarantula named Goliath because you can. ❤️

13. Two sugar gliders named Fishcake and Chocolate. I dunno I was hungry at the time ❤️

14. A blue crayfish named Empress ❤️

15. And last but not least, a mantis shrimp named Trippy because I am horrible at names ❤️

I take care of all these pets, coupled with my 2 cats Bramble and Cinder plus my 1 doggo, an Australian Kelpie, with the aid and help of my flatmate, parents and caretakers when I'm away on vacation.

Ssoooo. I want a lizard(possible lizards), but my boyfriend hates lizards. I’ve gotten him to agree with the idea of a chameleon (because somehow those are okay. I’m not gonna break the news that they don’t change colours like most think they do), but I’m not too sure it’s wise to jump into the lizard world by just immediately getting a chameleon. 

From what I’ve read, leopard geckos are some of the easiest to take care of. I’m wondering if I should go ahead and try to start out with an easier lizard and work my way up. Or do you thinking getting a chameleon as my first would be perfectly fine?

Side note, I really want to get a few Madagascar hissing coachroachs. Those guys are pretty cool. I hear they make chill pets. Ive held one before. I feel in love. 

I have finally gotten the photos I took of Duke a month and a half ago!! Here he be~!

Duke.jpg

On 5/14/2019 at 5:10 AM, animatedrose said:

I have finally gotten the photos I took of Duke a month and a half ago!! Here he be~!

Duke.jpg

Duke is so adorable!

I have 11 rats, a snake, and a tarantula, along with 3 non-exotic pets (cats).

I am totally obsessed with my rats, haha.

1 minute ago, Calicodummy said:

I have 11 rats, a snake, and a tarantula, along with 3 non-exotic pets (cats).

I am totally obsessed with my rats, haha.

This is Pepper.

59928599_10218217445898001_5801892842800414720_n.jpg