TwilightMoonDragon

Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away

Spirited Away is my absolute, all-time favorite. This movie simply resonates with me on different levels. When I was younger it would really scare me, particularly no-face. But a few years back I re-watched and now I adore it. Howl's Moving Castle was very sweet indeed, but it just hasn't worked its way into my favorites list. Princess Mononoke, on the other hand is a close 2nd/tie with Spirited Away, both Chihiro and San are my favorite Studio Ghibli characters, without a doubt.

Loved watching them and now I want to watch them again ;u; ♥

In spirited away that faceless monster used to creep me out so much :L

I saw Spirited Away in theaters and since have seen it a few times on dvd. I'm curious how the food that turned her parents to pigs would have tasted. Magically amazing? And how did she know none of the pigs the witch showed her were her parents? And why didn't she panic at all when suddenly Haku didn't fly anymore and they were falling? They might have died, they didn't know. I'm so scared of falling! I don't know why I'm more scared of that than a lot of other things, but it gets to me.

I haven't seen Howl's Moving Castle as often. I think maybe twice. The book was so good! But I think the author was terrified of aging, plus a few other qualms that revealed themselves. I have it on my shelf. The movie was very interesting, too. Speculating on why her age fluctuates and stuff like that. I'm most fascinated by the castle itself, the door settings that lead to different stationary houses, and I saw an interpretation where the castle looked like it was built on a beetle.

Oof....unpopular opinion here....I saw Spirited Away when I was 6 and can never watch it again. It's probably the movie that exists that I despise the most. Too scary.

Aside from that, Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro were both great!

Howl's Moving Castle, again, didn't really do much for me. Why? Because the original idea for Howl's Moving Castle is from a fabulous book that I read before watching it. The movie's interpretation ruined it for me. The book is one of my absolute favorites, though.

The 2 films you mentioned are beautiful, just not for me.

Love both movies, but I only saw Howl's Moving Castle twice, as my nephew lost our copy after he borrowed it.

My son and I saw Princess Mononoke recently in the theater. So much better in movie theaters with a crowd of Miyazaki lovers than at home on a 25 inch TV. I wish they would they would play Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away in theaters. Those Fathom events are well worth the price, IMO.