TwilightMoonDragon

Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away

I love both movies, I own both but I like Spirited Away better then Howl's Moving Castle. I love Miazaki-san's films, they are an Epic Win!

I love Howl's Moving Castle. =3 Spirited Away was kind of... disturbing. Unless I'm remembering the wrong one.

I watched Spirited Away when I was 7 and thought it disturbing. Ended up having nightmares. X3 Haven't watched it in a while though.

Love the movie!!! Actually went to see it in theaters once upon a time. Now I own it in both DVD & VHC. One of my most favorite Ghibil movies.

Has anyone watched the others? I actually like most of Hayao Miyazaki's works.

Spirited Away was great loved it.

howls moving castle was ok. but i think i was let down b/c i loved the book so much more sad.gif it didn't feel right but it was still ok in its own right

Edited by ashhaidragon

Howl's Moving Castle should be separate from the book in terms of considering them related. I liked the movie but it really shouldn't be measured with the book.

Spirited Away is what I aspire to. I have no words for how great it is, seriously.

I absolutely loved Howl's Moving Castle! I think I saw Spirited Away, not sure if this is the same movie, but if it is then that was pretty amazing as well.

First time I watched Spirited Away was when my Chinese teacher brought it over as a teaching tool (otherwise known as a bribe) hehe, we didn't know what the show was called but liked it. A while after that my mom bought the Ghibli collection and we found it again.

Also our Spirited away is in english laugh.gif so I guess my Chinese teacher's plan kinda backfired. biggrin.gif Always wondered though, how did Chihiro's parents react to having been "away" for so long.

In the end I think, storywise, I prefer Howl's Moving Castle.

Yeah, this movie is awesome! As is basically everything created by Studio Ghibli. They're, like, the Japanese Disney. They make such awesome films.

I read Howl's Moving Castle, then I found the movie. The movie was... not what I hoped for. In the book, the heroine, Sophie, has awesome powers, but is a little too genre savvy - in the wrong genre. The movie doesn't have that. All the characterizations are different and the bond between Calcifer and Howl is made less of. We don't get that glimpse of the real world to put the story into perspective, and

I wanted that.

Basically, I kept thinking of Kiki's Delivery Service throughout the movie. sad.gif

I love most of Miyazaki's movies. Princess Mononoke is my favorite out of all of them, and I think Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is my second favorite. Spirited Away was great and very bizarre, and I liked Howl's Moving Castle, but the book is a much better story. It's richer, I think.

Castle in the Sky was pretty amazing, too.

I think the only Studio Ghibli movie I didn't like was Ponyo.

Edited by Jackal

I love all the studio ghibli movies.

I've been intending to read HMC for a while, especially since I found out Diana Wynne Jones wrote it, but I can't seem to find a copy...

I read Howl's Moving Castle, then I found the movie. The movie was... not what I hoped for. In the book, the heroine, Sophie, has awesome powers, but is a little too genre savvy - in the wrong genre. The movie doesn't have that. All the characterizations are different and the bond between Calcifer and Howl is made less of. We don't get that glimpse of the real world to put the story into perspective, and

I wanted that.

Basically, I kept thinking of Kiki's Delivery Service throughout the movie. sad.gif

I read the book after seeing the movie. Honestly, I loved the book much more than the movie.

As you said, the movie does not portray the characters the same way as the book. Howl isn't as vain and Sophie lacks her powers. Until I read the book, I didn't understand the ending at all. How Howl and Calcifer were connected wasn't explained at all in the movie.

I just saw Howl's Moving Castle on New Years eve and it is now my favorite movie! I have watched it 3 days in a row now because I loved it so much xd.png(once on new years eve the day after that and today)! I have yet to see Spirited Away, but I will see it soon I hope smile.gif.

Edited by Dragoncia

I love Spirited Away. I watched it when it came on Cartoon Network years ago and I fell in love. A few months ago, I managed to watch it again on youtube before it got removed for copyright. I loved it just as much, but when Chihiro speaks, I keep thinking about Lilo and Stitch. (I'm pretty sure the voice of Lilo is the voice of Chihiro in the movie.) Oh, and the scene where she falls down the stairs... that's hilarious. xd.png

Howl's Moving Castle... never seen. It looks cool, though.