bbik

Return fogged lineage viewing

Should a fogged dragon's lineage still be viewable?  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's exactly what it says, I find it so weird that I can't see my own eggs' lineages if I hide them. I don't imagine it would be too hard to fix either.

They're obscured in fog so that nobody can see them, why do you find it weird that you can't see them either?

EDIT: I feel I should clarify - I'm not opposed to the suggestion. I don't really see a need, but I can see why it might be useful.

Edited by The_Bucket

They're obscured in fog so that nobody can see them, why do you find it weird that you can't see them either?

EDIT: I feel I should clarify - I'm not opposed to the suggestion. I don't really see a need, but I can see why it might be useful.

One wpuld assume that having fogged one's egg from view does not mean that knowledge of its pedigre is suddenly forgotten or blurred from one's mind while the egg is unviewable.

Thats like saying if I hide away a puppy who is a decendant of two show champs, suddenly knowledge of who its parents are and who they mated with is somehow blurred or removed from my mind until I can publicly show the puppy again.

That being said, I see lineage view no different that showing someone a certificate guaranteeing that this dragon is bred from x and y parent decendants of g and h parents. As such it seems illogical to obscure lineage view. If the egg is fogged then seeing it in a lineage should make no difference since it cannot truly be viewed.

Support for this suggestion because it is definitely needed and useful aside from the fact that it makes no sense as to why lineages were obscured in the first place.

I don't really see any more need for keeping lineage view hidden for fogged eggs/hatchlings.

Sure, when we still had to trade via the AP and often lost our trades in transfer, this did make sense because many people offering to return stuff via the LIT thread asked for lineage specifics for confirmation of "ownership". However, with the arrival of teleport, we don't need this any more.

On the other hand, I can see enabling lineage view for fogged eggs as being helpful, especially for trading. If I had something really precious, I'd keep it fogged until it's hatchable, then fog again. After all, viewbombing is still an issue, even more so if you want to show your lineage. Trading something this precious, however, means that you'd have to either describe the lineage (who reads that kind of stuff, anyway?) or take a screenshot, upload it to an external site and link the image. That seems to be a quite convoluted way of doing things.

The only down-side I can see to making Fogged eggs visible to all would involve things like people being unable to hide surprises intended for other people's B-days, Secret Santa gifting or whatever, and for allowing View Bombers who've taken note of whoever was on the Cave when the eggs s/he wanted was taken to identify the scroll it landed on for future/chronic revenge.

Or for Prize winners wanting to keep their win secret for a bit while they recover and sort out plans, without having to hide their scrolls.

Actually, there are probably other things I just haven't thought of yet.

Perhaps not many of us need very often - or ever - to hide eggs from general viewing, just from Viewing, so to speak, but some people might like/need to, some of the time, so the toggle suggestion kinda sounds reasonable to me, giving people choice in various circumstances.

I only Fog mine when left unattended or Sick, and check lineages to see that I try to Influence according to the line or a mate I know I have for it, (which I generally do when I first obtain them, unless still unsure about mates or trading/sending eggs to someone else,) so don't care either way.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that there could be multiple circumstances under which people might not want particular dragons visible to the world.

The only down-side I can see to making Fogged eggs visible to all would involve things like people being unable to hide surprises intended for other people's B-days, Secret Santa gifting or whatever, and for allowing View Bombers who've taken note of whoever was on the Cave when the eggs s/he wanted was taken to identify the scroll it landed on for future/chronic revenge.

Or for Prize winners wanting to keep their win secret for a bit while they recover and sort out plans, without having to hide their scrolls.

Perhaps not many of us need very often - or ever - to hide eggs from general viewing, just from Viewing, so to speak, but some people might like/need to, some of the time, so the toggle suggestion kinda sounds reasonable to me, giving people choice in various circumstances.

I only Fog mine when left unattended or Sick, and check lineages to see that I try to Influence according to the line or a mate I know I have for it, (which I generally do when I first obtain them, unless still unsure about mates or trading/sending eggs to someone else,) so don't care either way.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that there could be multiple circumstances under which people might not want particular dragons visible to the world.

With that being said, why not have it so it can only be viewed if its in a trade? or have it as a toggle like with scroll viewing where you can click an option to allow your egg lineages to be viewed when fogged. If its checked then when your eggs are fogged it will show otherwise it wont and it will act as normal. Don't know if that can be a thing though so yeah TJ toss in your opinion please.

Or make it so only eggs in trade can have their lineage still viewed when fogged. So unless you're in the process of trading or transferring an egg, its lineage is not viewable when fogged. Again though I don't know how possible it would be to code this but this seems like the most sensible option.

Let's not overcomplicate things. You can still hide surprises by using custom sort and putting the surprise somewhere on page 25 of 30 (or something like that). Just keep your regular sort and sort the surprise eggs elsewhere. The same thing works for CB prize owners, btw.

Viewbombers can already take not of the code of a precious egg they didn't get. They only need to copy it from the url where they got the "You can't seem to find..." message. If the owner of that egg shows their scroll name, it's already very easy to target that person, and allowing lineage view doesn't change that one bit, it sure doesn't make this kind of targeting any easier than it already is.

Hi, guys! Not sure if the '... so the toggle suggestion kinda sounds reasonable to me, giving people choice in various circumstances. ...'in my previous post, above, got missed or not, but I gave reasons above for supporting that. smile.gif

Where possible, I think that changes which involve a choice are generally preferable, so as to to consider the largest number of people feasible.

Edit: AnanoKimi, personally, I'd be perfectly happy with the Suggestion that trade eggs be Viewable through a optional protective Fog or whatever (although sometimes I like to have my less spectacular trade offers gathering Views so that they don't hit 4 days with nothing in case I or anyone else has to Influence and hatch them Sick with thousands of Views and 3 U Views, lol) but again as an option.

I think there's one presented as a BSA? Needz moar coffeeeee.....

Edited by Syphoneira

Unfortunately, this doesn't consider TJ's stance against toggle on/off systems in general. And I don't think that it's actually necessary.

Well my bigger suggestion is an auto toggle where if your eggs are not in a trade they are completely fogged lineage and all, but if your egg is fogged whilst in a trade (fogged some time during or put in a trade whilst fogged) then it would show the lineage when checked through the link of the trade. I mean that being said we should also be given the option to trade/transfer fogged eggs in terms of they should show up as fog balls that we can select for transfer/trade. :3

I feel that would be nice if possible/plausible.

I mainly want this for my own personal benefit. I could be trying to check and see what I've bred for my own lineages I'm working on so far so I can know what I need to focus on breeding next, for example. (Like I have a pb black tea line. I could need to check how many second gens I've bred to see if I can move onto third gen or if I should go ahead and breed another second gen or if what I'm doing is going to end up inbred.)

When we could see fogged lineages, it was always that we could only see our own fogged lineages, which is what I'm supporting here, which would solve the toggle issue.

There are other suggestions out there for fogging and/or protecting traded dragons, and I'd rather see one of them be added or worked out so they can be added without affecting how simply viewing your own fogged lineages would work. I think it can make sense to want a fogged egg to be visible for trade but invisible other times (such as someone stalking a dragon with the possibility of view bombing it - people angry that you picked something up or bred something that you won't trade to them; no reason why they should be able to see the fogged lineage).

Literally the only reason I use fog is to protect an egg or hatchling from receiving too many views while it's most vulnerable (too young or already sick). I've never understood why that hides the egg/hatchie's lineage from me, much less everyone else.

So yeah. I support this. (I also support allowing fogged dragons to be teleported, though that's obviously a different thread.)

I mainly want this for my own personal benefit. I could be trying to check and see what I've bred for my own lineages I'm working on so far so I can know what I need to focus on breeding next, for example. (Like I have a pb black tea line. I could need to check how many second gens I've bred to see if I can move onto third gen or if I should go ahead and breed another second gen or if what I'm doing is going to end up inbred.)

When we could see fogged lineages, it was always that we could only see our own fogged lineages, which is what I'm supporting here, which would solve the toggle issue.

There are other suggestions out there for fogging and/or protecting traded dragons, and I'd rather see one of them be added or worked out so they can be added without affecting how simply viewing your own fogged lineages would work. I think it can make sense to want a fogged egg to be visible for trade but invisible other times (such as someone stalking a dragon with the possibility of view bombing it - people angry that you picked something up or bred something that you won't trade to them; no reason why they should be able to see the fogged lineage).

Thats true. Being able to see the lineage on your own scroll can be important. Considering the BSA's being proposed to fog during a trade and all then I guess just at minimum having the ability to see the lineage of ones eggs while fogged would be nice.

I mean considerably it would be better to just have the whole shebang but it could be more trouble than its worth to go through all of that so if this is added in to fog your eggs and still view their lineage at least on your end then hopefully at the same time some BSA to shield eggs from views during a trade.