bbik

Return fogged lineage viewing

Should a fogged dragon's lineage still be viewable?  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We used to be able to view a dragon's /lineage/ page at all times, including when the dragon was fogged.

Now, if a dragon is fogged, its lineage cannot be seen at all -- even by the owner.

I noticed this change after the first speckled egg was bred, and I'm guessing it was done to keep the suspense for a little longer. However, since the "Don't tell people how to get dragons!!!" non-policy was quite clearly done away with months ago, it seems a bit odd that it's now been semi-reimplemented again. And, it still took less than a day for people to figure out the pairings anyhow, so hiding the lineage to slow that discovery is hardly a factor anymore.

That aside, being able to see the lineage of all dragons at any time was amazingly useful. It meant people could trade/gift dragons that were fogged (due to sickness, or to keep views low, or for whatever other reason), while still proving the lineage was as they claimed, and without having to do a bunch of back and forth PMing to set up a time for unfogging, and then also a time for trading (or deciding not to trade once the lineage was seen), which saved everyone time. It allowed TGT, VGC, and many other threads' mods to see right away if a poster was in fact eligible for a requested list, rather than unintentionally punishing eligible players because a fogged dragon could not be determined to be an acceptable breed. It allowed people to show off great lineages, without risking overviewing for the dragon by those who clicked to view the egg, rather than just the lineage. And so many other things.

So, could we please return to the lineage being viewable at all times?

Edit: Added a poll, since people seem to like those. And it looks like I even did it right, on the first try! Feel free to keep posting support (or reasons against it) in addition to voting, though! smile.gif

Edited by bbik

I had also noticed this, and would like to second the request for the exact same reasons. Thanks bbik!

I would like to be able to view the lineage of fogged eggs/hatchlings too.

I agree. This was an extremely helpful tool, allowing someone to show off an egg or hatchling for whatever reason without risking the health of the egg or hatchling by giving too many views.

Yes, always! This helps a lot with the trading topics, if you are showing the lineage of the egg you are wanting to trade.

A hell yeah! You should be able to see the lineage at all times.

Agreed. The Lineage view was extremely helpful, and yet the eggs were still kept safe from unneed views.

For those that would argue that the lineage view shows the eggs code, which can then be used to try to kill the egg, that doesn't hold water. It's very easy to get an egg code when the egg is fogged, even without the lineage view.

So really, it does no good to have it blocked. I would love to have it back, please. sad.gif

Yes, I agree, lineages should be seen at all times. I fogged an egg just because I wanted to, and the person was unable to see it's lineage, so I had to unfog it. And I fog to prevent eggs hatching too early, yet can be taken off a waiting list because of that. Please make fogged eggs' lineages viewable again.

I absolutely agree with the above - but I am wondering if this was done to prevent scamming, where the code and lineage URL of fogged dragons posted as 'found' on LiT could be obtained by the unscrupulous and falsely used to 'prove' ownership of dragons never theirs.

As much as I miss the ability to see the lineage of even my own fogged dragons when (yes, BORED, lol) working out future breeding plans, I would like to know the reasons why this was done before asking to have this returned.

Edit: never mind - somehow missed Gyps13's point and checked to see that the code was still accessible on my fogged egg - so going to vote to have it back, please.

Yeah, getting on for 2:30 AM...

Edited by Syphoneira

I also noticed this! It is so irritating because at times I have to look at the lineages to know which fogged baby it is that I am looking at. if I am holding more than one trade, an experiment and a trade, or just trying to ensure that certain babies do not hatch/grow up so I can have room to trade and nab, I have to unfog them and risk loosing the ability to perform a trade, breeding, etc. This can mean the person/s do not get what they want in time, and I end up with an extra baby that will grow up on my scroll and the necessity to have to breed for the person again, which is an even greater pain with rares. In addition to this, if it is a trade (or I'm gifting to person A, and being gifted to by person B) and I am getting something from someone, everyone I'm working with ends up hurt in a similar manner, as well (not to mention the situation can be reversed).

Edited by LunaRain

I am wondering if this was done to prevent scamming, where the code and lineage URL of fogged dragons posted as 'found' on LiT could be obtained by the unscrupulous and falsely used to 'prove' ownership of dragons never theirs.

A way to avoid that is to ask for the Date of Birth and stage of the egg/hatchling at the time it was lost when posting a found dragon (always keeping in mind that they may revert a stage when dropped). Those don't show up on the parents' pages.

Even if it remains unviewable to visitors, I would like to be able to see my own fogged eggs' lineages. It makes no sense that I can view everything else about my fogged dragon, but the system keeps me from checking my own lineage.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I'd particularly like to hear the reason for the no vote, if that person would care to post. smile.gif Knowing all sides of a debate is always a good thing! Especially if it's something not already thought of/mentioned.

Actually, I like the fogged lineages. Having a fogged dragon's lineage viewable makes it extremely difficult to prove who used to have a LiT dragon, because it's pretty impossible to hide anything from the people who just want that dragon from you.

Bumping this, because it's still frustrating. I still feel that having the lineages viewable for all is the best, but at the very least, owners should be able to see their own fogged dragons' lineages...

I'll join the queue, though I don't care about it, it still isn't right to deny the new egg owners a chance to see what they want from the line.

Seconded - would like to know why the lineages were hidden before forming an opinion.

Tentatively though, I'd like the lineages to only be open to the egg/dragon owner. When I have an egg/hatchling I fog, I as often do this because I do not want others to know what the egg/hatchling is as when I actually have to for sickness. Being given parents gives one a half chance at breed and a good guess at age/stage, information I sometimes want private.

(Your normal egg doesn't stay sick for over a day, but yes, I understand about lists. Not my priority, YMMV)

Blocking the lineage off to the owner, though, is pointless since he/she can unfog for thirty seconds, check lineage, and fog again :3

.. indecisive! Any chance of this being a scroll-wide option too? laugh.gif

I would definently like to be able to see the lineage of my fogged eggs/hatchlings without having to unfog them again.

Bumping this so it won't get lost. I miss being able to show off my newly bred and newly hatched eggs, without fearing they'd get sick from too many views. sad.gif

A user tried to scam a hatchling from me once, after I posted it in LiT. So I'd prefer if it was visible only to the owner, the same way fogged dragons are only viewable by owner. Yes, we could ask for date of birth or stage, but stage is pretty guessable, and date of birth is complicated. For example. I often play between the hours of 1 to 2 AM eastern time, so my an egg bred "today" by me might be remembered by a friend across the country as being bred "yesterday." And I don't usually remember what day I breed dragons. Even if someone were to guess, it's still a reasonable chance of guessing, and if they guess wrong, maybe it is theirs and they just didn't remember such an obscure detail. Meanwhile, something like parent name is much more memorable, much harder to forget, and much harder to guess. Besides, fogged dragons are visible to owners, so it makes sense to me that their lineages would be owner-viewable as well.

I voted yes, although I wouldn't mind if it was just owner-visible, and i agree with the above post. Maybe it should just be owner visable. happy.gif

To be completely honest, I'd like this toggle-able, similar to showing adults on the scroll or not. I dont think it would be too much more difficult to code, and that way the user can choose to turn it on or off. This being said, the default would be off (as in, the lineage of fogged eggs is visible) and while on, the owner would still be able to view all lineages.

IE, almost exact same settings as the showing of adults.

I was influencing one of my Holly eggs when I realized that due to me getting confused while unfogging, influencing, and fogging again, I had influenced the wrong Holly egg-it was the one meant to be frozen, not allowed to grow up.

To avoid this, may I suggest that lineages be viewable-at least to the owner-even when said egg is fogged?

Bumping to support. We used to be able to see an egg's lineage even if it was fogged, and it was really helpful for trading purposes.