The Tempest Lineage

The Tempest Lineage *NEW* - Over 700 Dragons !

Everything is looking nice! I absolutely adore the new addition too. I will have a skywing to add on soon, then I can work on some second generation breeding laugh.gif If anyone needs a second gen bred for them, don't forget to ask.

Oh look! A new tempest board! How lovely.

biggrin.gif

I'm so happy the blunas are allowed in... I was getting worried about my skywing-water pair, my first gen.

I was wondering when we would get a new thread, now that Rhetsura seems to have fallen into inactivity.

*Sigh* Great! I take it the Blunnas have been added smile.gif

My first one just hatched. It's seriously cute. I thought it was yowling, a friend thought it was yawning. And I LURRRRVVV the female in TJ's news post wub.gif Can't wait to see the male — and the rest of them, grown up.

Yep, the Blunas are gorgeous alright. I'm glad they're being allowed in, too. ^-^

Really looking forward to being a part of this lineage! biggrin.gif

I thought the little Blunnas was yawning, too. But having watched my 3yr old howl and carry on... that could be the expression, too. laugh.gif

Has anyone caught the joke yet?

Think about it. Transpose the major letters smile.gif

Blue Fin Tuna :-)

Pandagal91 ~ Thanks for updating the sheet. Shinelight has been moved up to her proper spot.

For the spreadsheet:

Each page is sorted by owner name. The old data is by scroll name, the entries I've made are by forum name. If your names don't match I might need help getting your dragons all listed in a group. For everyone else, they should all be together (by generation).

If you're a breeder, and you want me to, I can highlight your name to make it easier for new participants to find you.

>>Tempest Spreadsheet<<

*Fixed link

Edited by egwenna

Wow, the new front page looks great! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Thanks, Shichibi and Egwenna!

TJ's Electric has grown up. ^___^ It's a great dragon, although the sprite is far more evocative of a tempest than the description is. I think if the Blunas hadn't been so connected to three of our Tempest breeds, they wouldn't have been eligible, but as is, I guess they are. ^^

What I really want to know about are thunders! Do we get a poll for them soon?

Egwenna, you've got an HTML issue in your link, but the spreadsheet looks great. I'm going to go through my dragons and check 'em all off now. biggrin.gif

Edited by infiniteviking

Thanks for the heads up... fixed! The forums seem to like breaking the google links almost as much as the wiki tree links. wink.gif

As for the Blunas... I think they're as stormy as the Skywings, and yeah, when you get them from three of our breeds, it'd be tough to turn them down. biggrin.gif

Poll for the others soon, and you know how I'm voting. laugh.gif

I looked at the spreadsheet and I found an error there..Tempest Merlin is not on my scroll, yet it is listed as my dragon...

So, this will be our new Tempests for sure :

MALE :

user posted image

FEMALE :

user posted image

And I'll starting a poll soon (I think tomorrow or Friday) and these are the two dragons we're deciding about bringing them in this lineage as well :

Sparks :

user posted image

Thunders :

user posted image

Greetings Shichibi

I looked at the spreadsheet and I found an error there..Tempest Merlin is not on my scroll, yet it is listed as my dragon...

whoops. Thanks for spotting that. Merlin belongs to grape_slushie.

Fixed. :-)

ONOZ D:

Second gens gave no interest on giving up a speckle but the rest of my pairs will be raring to go in a few days.

I'll check the spreadsheet later and see if any of mine aren't there.

I checked the spreadsheet, and added two of mine with the form on the front page. All the other information on my Tempests is correct. ^^

i know this is the second time i asked but i dont see my tempest on the spreadsheet

I checked the spreadsheet, and added two of mine with the form on the front page. All the other information on my Tempests is correct.

Super!

i know this is the second time i asked but i dont see my tempest on the spreadsheet

I have this on line 209 on the Gen 1 CB page: 1/14/2010 Tempest vulcan shrimpee13 Storm Male

Should there be another?

Is there something I can do to make it easier for folks to find their dragons?

Edited by egwenna

I've been looking at the Tempest dragon descriptions and thought it might be illuminating to take a look at the names and descriptions of our current ones. 'Themed after a storm at sea,' Rhetsura said, and I was down on the new Spark dragons because they didn't sound very stormy, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Water: When water dragons mature, they lose their legs and the ability to survive on land, entering the water permanently. They are adept swimmers and eat whatever fish are in the lake they live in. They tend to inhabit the same lake for their entire lives, although a few live in the ocean and swim all over the world.

• This is a lake and/or ocean dragon; apparently the important part of the description is that it lives in a large body of water.

Gray/storm: Gray dragons are the masters of the skies. They are excellent fliers and land only to rest and eat. In addition, they have full control of the weather. They are very hot-tempered and easily angered. They will attack any human that bothers them, conjuring strong winds and dangerous lightning.

• The key elements here are skies, weather, strong winds, and dangerous lightning, as well as the dragon's hot temper and willingness to create violent atmospheric turmoil. The grays were the first Tempest dragons to evoke an actual storm.

Skywings: Skywing dragons spend most of their lives flying in the air. They hunt from the air, diving at prey from above, and land only to rest. They are some of the fastest fliers, capable of extremely high speeds. The webbing at the end of the tail acts as a rudder, allowing them to easily change direction during flight.

• The sky is the key element here: these dragons don't just have an affinity for the sky, they almost never touch the ground. 'Storm' and 'sea' are absent here, but it'd be pretty difficult to have a storm without involving the sky.

Deep Sea: Deep sea dragons, as their name suggests, spend most of their time in the darkest depths of the sea. They have a bioluminescent dorsal spine that serves to attract prey and communicate with their own kind. As with many deep sea animals, they generally eat whatever they can manage to bait. They rarely leave the ocean floor, surfacing only during breeding season. When they do choose to travel to the shallower depths, they avoid bright lights and will only come up far away from shore.

• Ocean-themed dragons seem to be a safe bet for a Tempest, and these are hard-core sea-dwellers.

Two-finned Blunas (official by now): Two-Finned Blunas are a very social breed of dragon, living in packs of dragons called "pods." Blunas are very curious and playful creatures and several dragons in a pod will often "play" with one other, chasing each other around, tossing seaweed back and forth, and riding ocean swells. They are occasionally seen swimming alongside whales and dolphins.

• Even without the skywing/water/deepsea connection, this is clearly an ocean dragon (seaweed, ocean, whales) and has the same qualifications as waters and deep-seas do.

Reading back through the debates about adding the Deep Sea (page 10-onward of the old thread), I found a quote from Rhetsura: "The pondskipper" (water-walker) "would be stretching Tempest a little bit as it spends it's life near still waters where Tempest wouldn't likely occur. wink.gif I was a bit shakey on the waterhorse as well but, then again, how much has the skywing really got to do with Tempests? tongue.gif" The matter came to a vote, and Deep Seas were voted in, while waterhorses and water-walkers were voted out; but it's interesting! Now, a tempest at sea doesn't have to involve lightning, but it does have to involve sky and sea, so I think skywings weren't that far afield in the first place -- at least no more so than waters, which involved sea but not sky or storm. But let's take a look at the two dragons under consideration now:

Thunder: Thunder dragons are the masters of electricity. Their wings gather energy as they soar through the clouds, and when they clap their wings together they can create devastating archs of lightning. They can stay airborne nearly indefinately, landing only to sleep and breed; they catch their prey from the air and take moisture from the clouds. A Thunder dragon's roar is considered to be an omen of misfortune.

• Air, clouds, devastating lightning: this dragon combines the skywing's keywords with that of the gray dragon. Better yet, its power interacts with the elements, stirring up the weather.

Electric: As their name suggests, Electric dragons are capable of producing electric charges. They can produce different amounts of electricity depending on their mood and time of year. During mating season, their sparks become brighter to attract potential mates. Electric dragons aren't usually a danger to other dragons, but they do use their power to attack predators and prey.

• There is nothing here about the sea or the air, and this dragon's electric charges are not described as causing any general atmospheric effects. It helps, though, that their appearance does evoke the 'fire and cracks of sulphurous roaring" described by Shakespeare in the front-page quote.

It's beyond me, anyway! I'll have to think it over more before casting my vote. cool.gif

i think thunder and electric should be admitted because storms include thunder and lightning

I agree with Shrimpee, even though I wasn't sold on the Electric dragon before it matured and we had the full adult description.

I vote to include both Electric and Thunder as Tempest breeds.

Two-Finned Bluna? Yes to that, too. Dolphins and whales are sea creatures and storms affect them, too.

Edited by Xocowolf

I would definitely vote in the Thunder (even though I still don't have one) but I would hesitate to bring in the Electric dragon. Thunder clrealy shows a connection to storms, but electrics only have the ability to use electricity.

In other news, please welcome our newest skywing, Boreas Tempest!

I'm definitely voting for the electric and thunder to be part of the lineage. They would for sure make nice Tempest dragons. smile.gif

Edited by grape_slushie

I'm definitely voting to allow all three to come in. I think that all three of them would make nice Tempest dragons, especially the Blunas. smile.gif

The Blunas are already in smile.gif !!

Greetings Shichibi happy.gif !

Blunas seem like a very active breed. They're powerful enough to endure a storm and are even said to ride the swells, so I can see why they would be included.

I'm with Helix on the Electric type. Originally I wanted them in but their description doesn't seem to have anything to do with storms. The adult's pose is also not very dynamic. Aside from the lightning shooting out of its head it looks almost calm. Except for the female Bluna, all the other breeds in the Tempest have very active poses; they look like they're up to no good. The Thunder's description and adult pose are fittingly badass to be part of the Tempest. The Electric just sort of stands there sparking.

PS - It is also standing on the ground. Where is it going to find solid ground at sea?

Edited by Likewise