joiner123

Battling

I'm not particuarly bothered either way.

If this was introduced, I think you'd need a way to make it natural. It seems a bit weird (as already pointed out) for us just to order the dragons to start fighting.

And, if it were done, I think something would need to be gained in return. Maybe not anything big. Just an interesting title and stat on the dragon's page.

Who doesn't love having dragons beat each other up? sleep.gif

*raises hand*

I have absolutely no interest in it.

*raises hand*

I have absolutely no interest in it.

I believe that was sarcasm from fancypants xd.png

As I understand it, the dragons you raised are all part of your clan, you being a "parent" of sorts as you have raised them.

Now, some dragon descriptions say dragons live in clans, and that they war and defend their territory. Plus there are many RPs and dragon custom desciptions that note clan vs clan wars... It does add up to battling.

Scrolls show a clan of dragons, so say some clans like each other, some don't. Heh heh, the possibilities...

I would LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE dragon battling.

Edited by Sun Dragon Angel-A

But Why wouldn't they like each other, scrolls don't have to compete for food or territory, and there is no hierchy of power in the dragon world (On site, RP's excluded), so there's no reason to battle but boredom

Going from TJ's post, it certainly implies that he's not opposed to it because it doesn't work for the site. If the dragons would never, ever battle, he would have stopped this thread, right?

Seems unrealistic to say that the dragons would never fight... Also, dragons might like to fight just to compete and see who's tougher.

And, again, some dragon decriptions say or suggest the dragons fight or otherwise compete.

Black dragons are warriors. They are strong and capable in battles of force, but also ample magic users, capable of devastating opponents with their spells...

Speaks for itself.

Frilled dragons are smaller than most other breeds, but when threatened, they stretch out their wings and frills to appear larger. They generally do not like to fight, and prefer hiding to confrontation. Frilled dragons live in small groups and often band together to scare off potential threats...

Sounds like they get threatened by other dragons.

...They are capable of launching boulders at high speeds...

Wonder whom the Earth dragons might be launching those rocks at ;p

...Guardian dragons use their tail-shields, as well as their wings, to deflect attacks and protect others. Often, they will guard the eggs and hatchlings of a nest while others are away. They are generally peaceful, and will not retaliate unless necessary...

Shields would be useful to protect from other dragons.

Magi dragons are, as their names suggest, primarily magic users. They rarely use physical forms of attack. They eat anything they can kill, which is generally everything. They won't kill unprovoked except when hunting, although they may kill humans if in danger. Their strong magic makes them one of the most feared breeds of dragons.

Sounds like they use their magic for more than just hunting...

...They also have no ways to attack others or defend themselves...

Sounds like others dragons are usually able to defend theselves and attack things.

...pink dragons spend most of their time incubating eggs and caring for their clan's young...

Reinforces the clan concept.

...They are very violent, and will use these vines to capture, kill, and eat anything it sees that moves, as well as nearby plants...

Sounds like they'd attack other dragons

...These golden scales grant them a high level of protection, similar to armor, and they use this to their advantage in battle.

Not sure if this refers to the dragons or the humans, but it does sound like golds have very protective scales.

Haha. I wouldn't be opposed to it in small doses.

I do like the idea that if they were to fight, the dragons could want to fight others on their own, and it would ask if you'd let them. But maybe it could be something you could turn on and off? No one could attack you if you had it on off.

Also: Is having them fight one another worse than putting them on pedestals in a shiny case that labels them as yours for the sake of being able to show off what you have to others?

Is collecting any better than the idea of using them as weapons?

ETHICS QUESTION

I think it's an okay idea. As long as it doesn't really effect those that don't want it by making the site laggy (Or even more laggy, if it's always laggy) for those that don't want to battle and just want to collect.

Though if it was implanted, I'd want the possibility to have dragons battle dragons on your own scroll, too. To add to realistic means, everybody has disagreements, even with friends, sometimes. If dragons refused to go near each other, that would probably happen between them. A lot. Just a thought.

I do like the idea that if they were to fight, the dragons could want to fight others on their own, and it would ask if you'd let them. But maybe it could be something you could turn on and off? No one could attack you if you had it on off.

I agree with you here.

Edited by Mysticwave

As long as I'm on no way affected by the feature, don't get random challenges or whatever and it doesn't affect the trading culture and trading values here on the forum I don't care if the option is there.

However, I wouldn't use it, partly because it's absurdly unrealistic.

I'd prefer an arena system wherein you put a dragon up for challenge and someone else can therefore chanellge you. Unless you go into the "arena" you never see a fight.

Some breeds definitely wouldn't fight like mints. A white dragon for example, might not fight at all but can heal an injured dragon thatr just came back from fighting.

Not to sound rude, but... if you guys want to battle, why not go play Neopets, or Pokemon?

You know, that very same argument was used against having a safe trading system here. If I remember right, the majority of people decided that it didn't matter if other game sites had safe trading, because they also wanted it here. So I understand what TJ's saying about the fact that opinions here change over time and who knows what we'll support next year that we opposed in this one.

Out of curiosity, to those who support it, could you give a little bit of a clearer picture on what the battle system might entail? I don't know that I'd want my dragons out fighting, necessarily, but I'd be interested in hearing how it would work, if there would be anything to gain from it or if it would just be for fun, or if certain new stats would go with it.

~Sarah~

My favorite part of this thread is all you people saying it would be absurdly unrealistic. Let me just remind you that you are COLLECTING DRAGONS. At this point nothing is unrealistic, so please, unless you have a new,real reason why this should/shouldn't happen, please don't post

rolleyes.gif There is a huge difference between something being unrealistic in the real world and something being unrealistic within the context of the in-game world.

Also, don't tell people what to say or not to say when you're asking for their opinions. People don't have to explain why they want/ do not want something - the purpose of this thread is to gauge numbers to see how many might want it, so everybody has a right to have their say, regardless of their reasons.

How would this work anyway, and how can it be guaranteed that those who don't want to have anything to do with it won't be affected in their game-play?

Edited by Carthasis

rolleyes.gif There is a huge difference between something being unrealistic in the real world and something being unrealistic within the context of the in-game world.

Also, don't tell people what to say or not to say when you're asking for their opinions. People don't have to explain why they want/ do not want something - the purpose of this thread is to gauge numbers to see how many might want it, so everybody has a right to have their say, regardless of their reasons.

How would this work anyway, and how can it be guaranteed that those who don't want to have anything to do with it won't be affected in their game-play?

especially as anything related to possible "rewards" of battling would automatically become unattainable or undesirable to those who do not think battling belongs on Dragoncave. Those who play this because it is a collecting game with minimum work required would be highly frustrated by something which demands the kind of attention that petsites require in order to get. Even rares don't take that much work to get, all things considered. But to make a battle system interesting would require it to take much work. Otherwise it would be boring, as people are inherently uninterested in a battle game that is easy to beat. Such a concept doesn't really fit with the concept of raising dragons over a two week time, with minimum maintenance required. I play this game, unlike games with battle systems, because battle systems require you to dedicate a certain amount of time each day to keep your skills at the top of the curve (ensuring that your pet is one of those with the highest stats) and battling with it to get it victories. That idea, of having to take x amount of hours to battle, doesn't seem to fit the idea of this game, which can potentially take almost no time a week, merely the time needed to breed a few dragons, or grab an egg off the AP.

Edited by Layn

Please NO! If you find this game so boring why don't you go somewhere else? I happen to like a no-conflict game that I can play. There are plenty of other games that allow you to fight. Leave this one alone!

Yes, they may look stationary and stuff, but please. Don't implement this idea. This is not Pokemon, and if your dragons die, POOF. Tombstone.

I'm not sure why, if there could be a way to opt out, that everyone would be so against this. Look at lineages. They take a lot of time and effort, and the only reward (unless you have a massive lineage like Thuwed or DF) is satisfaction. So a lot of people here are willing to put in much more time then just the minimum that dragon raising requires.

But some people don't want to do lineage stuff. So if this was available for them and it didn't force other people to participate then why shouldn't we at least kick around some ideas of how it could possibly done here at DC?

Just because another site uses the same basic concept (battling), doesn't mean that we need to implement it in exactly the same way.

~Sarah~

I'm not sure why, if there could be a way to opt out, that everyone would be so against this. Look at lineages. They take a lot of time and effort, and the only reward (unless you have a massive lineage like Thuwed or DF) is satisfaction. So a lot of people here are willing to put in much more time then just the minimum that dragon raising requires.

But some people don't want to do lineage stuff. So if this was available for them and it didn't force other people to participate then why shouldn't we at least kick around some ideas of how it could possibly done here at DC?

Just because another site uses the same basic concept (battling), doesn't mean that we need to implement it in exactly the same way.

~Sarah~

I think I agree. If it was done in a way that didn't have super important benefits that people didn't have to use, I'd be fine with it.

I think I agree. If it was done in a way that didn't have super important benefits that people didn't have to use, I'd be fine with it.

I was thinking, what if all the rewards for successful battles, training, whatever, were all battle related. So it's kind of an encapsulated system.

Like maybe a level one dragon would have a baseline set of abilities that they used for battling and they would gain more with successful wins. I mean, the OP wasn't asking for the ability to breed golds every week or raise a dragon in a day. They just wanted something else to do, so it wouldn't have to necessarily give a BSA type benefit.

Although I would support having some kind of stats available for dragons that battle. I'll be honest and say that I don't know the kind of resources this would pull from the server, but since TJ didn't dismiss the idea entirely then I'm assuming that there might be a possible way to work it without damaging the rest of the game. So maybe there could be a battle page like the lineage page - where there's a link to it if a dragon battles and it keeps a record of all the wins and losses.

Because, realistically, the result of a successful and well thought out lineage program is the results on a page, the enjoyment it gives you to see it grow, and sometimes a small trading advantage. So I think that a battle system that gives the same benefits wouldn't disrupt the flow of the game at all.

Also, I could see some awesome battle lineages coming out of this. lol

~Sarah~

O god,

you just described pokemon with dragons!!!!!!!!!!!

No, please no!

I was thinking, what if all the rewards for successful battles, training, whatever, were all battle related.  So it's kind of an encapsulated system.

Like maybe a level one dragon would have a baseline set of abilities that they used for battling and they would gain more with successful wins.  I mean, the OP wasn't asking for the ability to breed golds every week or raise a dragon in a day.  They just wanted something else to do, so it wouldn't have to necessarily give a BSA type benefit.

Although I would support having some kind of stats available for dragons that battle.  I'll be honest and say that I don't know the kind of resources this would pull from the server, but since TJ didn't dismiss the idea entirely then I'm assuming that there might be a possible way to work it without damaging the rest of the game.  So maybe there could be a battle page like the lineage page - where there's a link to it if a dragon battles and it keeps a record of all the wins and losses.

Because, realistically, the result of a successful and well thought out lineage program is the results on a page, the enjoyment it gives you to see it grow, and sometimes a small trading advantage.  So I think that a battle system that gives the same benefits wouldn't disrupt the flow of the game at all.

Also, I could see some awesome battle lineages coming out of this.  lol

~Sarah~

what exactly is a battle lineage? A lineage of high skilled abttling dragons?

I could see high battle scored eggs becoming highly in demand, if that is the case. Then, even the people who do not want to battle might be forced to, if they also wanted to trade dragons. Right now, low lineage eggs are in demand, and possible to provide even for someone who doesn't participate in lineage projects. But if the eggs of battlers somehow get better stats, this would change, and then it might become difficult to trade eggs that are not laid by battlers...

Edited by Layn

I was thinking, what if all the rewards for successful battles, training, whatever, were all battle related.  So it's kind of an encapsulated system.

Like maybe a level one dragon would have a baseline set of abilities that they used for battling and they would gain more with successful wins.  I mean, the OP wasn't asking for the ability to breed golds every week or raise a dragon in a day.  They just wanted something else to do, so it wouldn't have to necessarily give a BSA type benefit.

Although I would support having some kind of stats available for dragons that battle.  I'll be honest and say that I don't know the kind of resources this would pull from the server, but since TJ didn't dismiss the idea entirely then I'm assuming that there might be a possible way to work it without damaging the rest of the game.  So maybe there could be a battle page like the lineage page - where there's a link to it if a dragon battles and it keeps a record of all the wins and losses.

Because, realistically, the result of a successful and well thought out lineage program is the results on a page, the enjoyment it gives you to see it grow, and sometimes a small trading advantage.  So I think that a battle system that gives the same benefits wouldn't disrupt the flow of the game at all.

Also, I could see some awesome battle lineages coming out of this.  lol

~Sarah~

No. Just no. By adding in all this pokemony carp, it'd require everyone to battle their dragons in order to play the game the "right" way. If I wanted to have my dragons battle, I'd join a different site. I play DC because it doesn't require huge time commitments, and battling would just make DC more time consuming. And the one thing I really don't want is for DC to lag even more, and adding in battling would make the server work harder, so battling=lagcave.

O god,

you just described pokemon with dragons!!!!!!!!!!!

No, please no!

Don't see why it can't be an option for people if it's not mandatory. Again, we didn't have trading here and other sites did. And now we're adopting a trading system. If you think my idea was too much like pokemon then that's cool, but why not come up with some ways it could be implemented that wasn't like that?

what exactly is a battle lineage? A lineage of high skilled abttling dragons?

I could see high battle scored eggs becoming highly in demand, if that is the case. Then, even the people who do not want to battle might be forced to, if they also wanted to trade dragons. Right now, low lineage eggs are in demand, and possible to provide even for someone who doesn't participate in lineage projects. But if the eggs of battlers somehow get better stats, this would change, and then it might become difficult to trade eggs that are not laid by battlers...

I can see a battle lineage being started from two dragons that are good at battling. That doesn't force people to battle anymore than some of the current lineage projects make people get CB eggs. Which can also be quite difficult but adds value to the lineage.

Most lineages don't add value. However, you're right that that may change once trading is implemented and we establish a more widespread trading economy here. But why should someone get a bump in the value of their egg because they take the time to breed them in a certain way and not because they battle with them? Then the same argument could be made that people would be forced to participate in lineage projects to give the same value to their eggs that another person's gets.

If someone makes a battle lineage then those eggs are also still available to people who don't battle in much the same way the Dorkface eggs are available to people who haven't been involved in that immediate circle of breeding and Thuwed eggs are available to people who don't know TJ.

No. Just no. By adding in all this pokemony carp, it'd require everyone to battle their dragons in order to play the game the "right" way. If I wanted to have my dragons battle, I'd join a different site. I play DC because it doesn't require huge time commitments, and battling would just make DC more time consuming. And the one thing I really don't want is for DC to lag even more, and adding in battling would make the server work harder, so battling=lagcave.

1) I don't see how an opt out system would require anyone to do anything. No one has to participate in a lineage project to play the game the "right" way.

2) I still don't get the argument that other sites do it so we shouldn't. It certainly didn't keep us from getting a safe trading system so I don't know why it should automatically rule out any other suggestion.

3) Since TJ posted in this thread and did not dismiss the idea out of hand, then I'm not sure why we should do so. No one really knows what the site can or can't do or what the server can or can't work with, so I'll leave that up to him to work out. If he steps in and says it's too much for the site then I'd be the first one to agree that we should definitely scrap this idea. However, he hasn't said that yet so I don't see the point in not tossing around ideas.

~Sarah~

Battling is not going to suddenly become the core way to play dragon cave. >.> Think of it like breeding, you can breed your dragons, but nothing's different if you don't. So, same with battles; you can battle your dragons, but if you don't, well, nothing's different. No one is forcing your to breed your dragons, so why would you be forced to battle them?

I don't like this "go play something else if you're so bored" argument. Maybe I want to play Dragon Cave. When I not grabbing eggs, there's not much else to do, I want DC to be more interactive.

No, not all dragons are going to be fighting breeds, no one says they have to be vicious battlers, but battling makes a ton of sense for dragons that are aggresive breeds, like blacks, storms, magis, vines, etc.

I like the arena idea, dragons that want to compete can all gather there. I think the dragons themselves should indicate that they want to fight, though (for example... "The dragon is quite feisty, perhaps it wants to challenge another dragon to a battle").

Also, somewhere in suggestions, there was an "items/loot" thread suggested by one of the artists (Dove or Lyth, I think), dragons battling could gain reputation and items to hoard.