joiner123

Battling

well, my idea is up for a lot of other things to be built around it....say you want some special eggs/hatchies to be safe? protect em with another breed's bsa, or something....

there just should be a point to it and since we already have the kill option it really isnt much of a stretch to kill/take others...(you can trade em back after like always)

im not really supporting the idea, i just think this would be interesting should battling be implemented, and i think simple dueling is done to death, and since were talking dragons here and battling would be cataclysmic in scope, leaving the world scarred by the titanic forces being thrown about in the name of..... the scrollkeepers.

besides, if we want to end up having bsa's for all or most species eventually, there needs to be more to the game.

Yeah, right. I'd rather be able to vote that my dragons cannot be attacked because I kept them on a hidden mystical island in the Bermuda triangle. xd.png Make that a scroll option.

Just imagine, you get a few rares from your breeding after months of trying, and you use all your protection BSAs on them. Fine, nothing happens. But then, you find the elusive CB rare/special release/whateveryoureallyreallywanted, and have no protections left. And suddenly someone else attacks your scroll and kills your baby.

Besides, how are newbies with their first rare or alt supposed to defend themselves? Right, not at all.

No, just no. If you have to have battling, make it separate from the main site and without any on-site benefits (like increased fertility).

First and foremost, I really hope TJ doesn't implement public random attacks that will kill eggs/young/adults. That will be distressful.

Ok now to the argument

I frankly do not understand why people as so vehemently passionate against change and improvement. Battling would be a nice addition, but it doesn't have to be compulsory.

Even in the world of Pokemon, tons of people choose not to battle their mons and kept them as pets. The only reason you battle in the game is because you play as a trainer and your GOAL is to win the biggest tourney around.

If the main character's goal is, like say, build a farm with the pokemon's help of course things will be mightily different! (yes, yes I used harvest moon as an example)

Battling doesn't mean outright killing young just like real life. It can always be in a controlled setting like a tournament. In fact there are tons and tons of suggestions about making sparring fun. It's controlled, closed area battling for fun.

Think of it as a sport. Badminton is in a way a battle between two people (whoever can outmaneuver the other person wins). But nobody gets hurt (unless you fall down), and not everyone plays badminton competitively at national levels.

If I build a Badminton court in an area, does that mean EVERYONE must play badminton?

Obviously not. Use the facility when you want; don't use it if you're not interested.

You can play DC whatever way you like, however way you like, in whatever flavour you like.

Don't like the BSA? Don't use it.

Don't like the idea of battling? DON'T. It's as simple as that!

It's like, striking out against the Badminton court because it is one of the most overplayed sports in the world. You may not like badminton, but many other people do and they WANT to use the facility.

We can agree that it is very, very unfair to deny people of a safe facility solely because it doesn't agree with what you prefer.

A boring battle system will die on its own anyway.

In a nutshell: I support battling ONLY if it is done in a safe and fun manner. Meaning no tombstones or the lot. Not even randomized accidents. Folks who like DC as is can choose not to participate. Just because a facility exists doesn't mean you must use it.

TLDR version: Make it non-lethal fights in a specified area. Make the Arena an OPTIONAL facility. Full stop.

For those who still scream 'NOOOO', quit denying the wishes of those who really want some friendly competition. You can always choose not to participate at all. Not everyone in the world plays sports, right?

Lol! your black dragons chase you around mercilessly to train you and then your stone dragons and pebbles fling rocks at you to improve your agility, and then when all your dragons are finished harassing you, the white dragons heal you up alll better, and how many white dragons you have determines how many time you can fight or train because they'll totally need to use up their "heal" BSA to bring you back from the brink of death.

The rest of the dragons try to trample on you and call it training. The more dragons you have the worse you'll get trampled XDDDDD

ok ok enough tangent sillies.

I am not in favor of thees battling. smile.gif

"The rest of the dragons try to trample on you and call it training. The more dragons you have the worse you'll get trampled"

y..yo..your quote made me rofl all over the floor XDDDD

poor people who have more than 200 dragonsXD

Edited by hellraven

I agree with Sophiera, if you make "battleing" completely seperate from normal, day-to-day DragonCave life, I'm fine with it. However, if you make this interfrer with cave life, have hatchlings or eggs or adult dragons die, or anything of the like, then I'm 100% against it.

I like the idea of some sort of interaction between dragons other than mating. Maybe it could be a "Play" option? All sorts of animals mimic fighting during playtime, incorporating that into DC may curb the comments about cruelty and solve the issues of non-combative dragon breeds.

I don't really think that any statistics should show up on the dragon's page so it doesn't have a direct effect on lineage - respecting those that don't want battle dragon progeny to be more highly valued than others. Maybe in the battle part of the site it could have its own rankings? That way it would be information available to the battle participants (and subsequently those that want to do battle lineages) but wouldn't affect the rest of the site.

Sophiera makes several good points and I would be ok with the implementation of a completely optional battling area that does not affect other areas of the game.

However, I just don't think battling fits well with the game and it would require a large overhaul to the site. Even if battling were done seperately, it would be pointless without the inclusion of stats, abilities, and training interfaces.

From a web design/programming perspective, I just don't think it would be worth the time it would take to implement at this point in the game.

Edit: I think I probably should mention: Personally, I'm against any type of battling/dueling/PvP/Arena, but I realize I'm only one person and other people's opinions matter too.

Edited by IvoryDragon432

Great points. Look, we'll never know whether this would be a good implementation if it was never trialed and tested in a real life scenario.

Battling fits in well with the game, they are dragons and like every living organism on Earth, it would make sense that they would either battle either for territory, to ward off enemies or to fight for food.

Look, somehow I don't think that a human telling a dragon what to do is that stupid an idea. It is plausible that co-evolved species with a mutually beneficial relationship would protect each other and increase the chances of both surviving.

I honestly don't get why someone would oppose this... It's not like you /have/ to battle. And the people that want to battle can. For some, it can be a collecting site, and others, a battling site. I know a lot of people that play pokemon that either collect shinies or battle. And each group gets along just fine. People say "Why not play another site then?". Well.. there are billions of other collecting sites, that's like saying "Why create this one at all, why not just use those?" It's because we like this site better, and we enjoy the sprites, the design of the site, dragons releasing every month or so.... And we've gotten to know people here. It's not like people would be /forced/ to battle. And it wouldn't exactly be a petsite, so long as nothing like feeding, buying items etc. etc. would be involved. It can still be little maintenance, you can just keep collecting and ignore the feature.

Edit: Looks like someone already made the point I was trying to make |D; .... And they made it much better than I. Either way, I suppose I'm showing my support

Edited by Abbiebugs

also, id like to make another point to those that think battling is too violent or whatever for the site: have you read the messages after you KILL your hatchlings? its really horrible...and makes me hate doing it. but the option is there showing that the world of dragon cave is a harsh place with some nasty scroll-bearers...so having some effect on your scroll by battling from the attrition of dragon war wouldnt be out of the question...just sayin....

i just dont wanna see more arena battles(boring) and if something was made, that it would be different and original.

I don't really think that any statistics should show up on the dragon's page so it doesn't have a direct effect on lineage - respecting those that don't want battle dragon progeny to be more highly valued than others. Maybe in the battle part of the site it could have its own rankings? That way it would be information available to the battle participants (and subsequently those that want to do battle lineages) but wouldn't affect the rest of the site.

This.

I'm not interested in battling. I do not want battling stats showing up on my dragon's pages, because then I'd feel like I was being compelled to battle to raise the stats. I do not want anything on my dragon's pages other than what's currently there. I do not want my dragons to even have stats, so if this is implemented "activating" stats should be an optional thing that only happens once you go into the arena-thing. And then they still shouldn't show up on the dragon's scroll page. Showcase the stats in the arena, sure, but keep it off the scroll.

I also do not want there to be any connection to lineages, because that would, in all likelihood, make it impossible to trade an egg that didn't have powerful parents. To those who have argued that it would be no different from the way lineages affect breeding... Well. Yes and no. It's something else I'd have to worry about, for one thing.

That said? I could care less what the rest of y'all do. Go forth and fight each other, whatever. Just don't bother me about it.

Edit for typo.

Edited by Danne

No, I really don't think this is a good Idea the creators shoud've thought of that each time they made new eggs , all the moves for the battleing. It could take a long time to do that. They'll have to think of new moves for each dragon. And no i saw someone with over 800 dragons if you "battle" those dragons it will take you a pretty long time to do so, I estimate about 4 or 5 days on the same scroll. And back to the moves, if the creators try to put in moves, (I dont know this just what I think)they may have to shut down the site until finish. (Thats what I think) So no I really give this batteling thing a thumbs down.

Sorry Dude!

Edited by firestar5

Yeah, right. I'd rather be able to vote that my dragons cannot be attacked because I kept them on a hidden mystical island in the Bermuda triangle. xd.png Make that a scroll option.

Just imagine, you get a few rares from your breeding after months of trying, and you use all your protection BSAs on them. Fine, nothing happens. But then, you find the elusive CB rare/special release/whateveryoureallyreallywanted, and have no protections left. And suddenly someone else attacks your scroll and kills your baby.

Besides, how are newbies with their first rare or alt supposed to defend themselves? Right, not at all.

No, just no. If you have to have battling, make it separate from the main site and without any on-site benefits (like increased fertility).

^this^

But please let it not happen sad.gif

I play another adoptable game, The Mystic Grove. That’s how battling aspect is organized there:

First, I can send some of my companions to the war. I choose which I would like to send, and send them. They bring me gold pieces that I can use for buying different weapon and armor / spells and potions for faster growing / trinkets (just funny stuff). Also, I can decide not to send any, since normally I can earn even more gold pieces just by clicking others' companions helping them to grow. So, no extra benefits.

Second, sometimes enemies do attack our homeland. Player’s tree (equal to DC scroll) is divided into several rooms. There is one room, Tree of Life, and companions residing there participate in a battle, if attack happens. They can be injured and even killed, but they can get some trophies as well (mainly gold, extra gems (equal to DC eggs), items). I can decide to place only common unvaluable companions there (which I have tons of), or if I don't want any of my companions to die, I just don't place any of them in this room. All other rooms are safe from attack.

So, the battle process is fully controlled by the player: you can spend all your time battling, or decide to ignore such option at all, or you can even find a personal mix that you feel comfortable with.

I don't really think DC should go the same way, but you see, this system is very well thought over, and it would be good to learn from existing experience. I do really think battle should be willful as an option, and probably have some customs to choose.

But why do we need it at all ? This is a collectibles site. There are loads of battling sites. There is a reason some of us are here and not on ANY of those ! It's because - here is NOT a battling site ! If it became a significant part of the cave I think many players would lose interest.

But why do we need it at all ? This is a collectibles site. There are loads of battling sites. There is a reason some of us are here and not on ANY of those ! It's because - here is NOT a battling site ! If it became a significant part of the cave I think many players would lose interest.

Yes, but many other players who find DC too boring now will be attracted. It doesn't matter who plays the game, as soon as anybody is playing. One quit, another comes, it happens here and there.

T.J. stated he considers this idea, and isn't completely against it. Also, there are members who appreciate it, and would like it. We're just trying to find a suitable way, that it wouldn't harm or affect those who don't want battles in the first place. In my example you can play the game without even knowing that battles happen. Remember, DC has no certain way of playing, each player decides their own goals and style. So, battles, if properly thought over, would just add more freedom to the playstyles.

Edited by Outer Space

I'm completely against having the dragons fighting. IMO if you want more violence play an rp or video game. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

My 2 cents.

If it happens without you ever encountering it, would you still object? It won't be enforced so everyone MUST feel complied to do it.

All those saying "no", its not been tried and trialed yet and you may change your mind later.

If it happens without you ever encountering it, would you still object?  It won't be enforced so everyone MUST feel complied to do it. 

As long as the main focus was very much on collecting and battling was well hidden and did not give any advantages of any kind, I suppose then you could argue that it would be none of my business. But why not use the site someone linked above, in that case. And - what about the strain on the site and so on ? Lag BETTER not get worse... It would maybe need to be disabled over holidays, for instance...

All those saying "no", its not been tried and trialed yet and you may change your mind later.

I will not change my mind later; battling does not interest me in the slightest. As I say - that's why I am here and not on a battling site smile.gif

I feel absolutely no need for battling on this site.

I would not be opposed to there being a battling option though, as long is it doesn't affect my own chosen way of playing. This means every battle should be voluntary on both parts (no attacking people's scrolls if they don't enter the 'arena'), and battling stats should not be relevant to trading (so eggs from parents with high stats should not be any more valuable than eggs from non-battling parents). Also, winning batlles should be only for 'ranking' purposes, no benefits that affect the scroll.

I also think it would be good if battling was restricted to some breeds, where it fits the description (I can't imagine a White or a Valentine going to battle, for example). Maybe even only implement it for breeds yet to be released, so it would be clear from the start that these are battling dragons. Then it would be up to the creator of the dragon to decide whether they should be able to battle or not.

I don't get why the number of people using the site is a factor in this. The site already has too many users for it to handle reliably. I see no reason for us to attract more users. (In fact, I'm pretty sure this is why TJ is OK with fansites, which don't do anything to attract new members.)

I think that we DO need something to liven the site up a bit. Yes, yes, collecting and describing dragons is neat and all, and I don't want a full fledged pet site either, but I don't see why everybody here is so opposed to change.

Now, I don't want this site to become too complex, simply because that would mean TJ has to implement some sort of method for raising money. And that, everybody agrees, stinks.

But a thing such as battling, even if it was fully text-based, would keep me coming back to play more often. (I'm mostly here for the forum)

Dear God, please do not EVER let this happen to Dragon Cave. I am fine with just catching the eggs, and I think that introducing "battling" would make DC less appealing to part of DC's wide age group. The last thing I want is for DC to become some fuzzy little dragon battle site!

End of Rant.

Edited by dragonryaman

Well, as long as battling is completely optional and has absolutely no benefits[/b] save for increasing battling stats (maybe), I'm fine with it. Because I really don't want to (have to) use a battling feature to get anything you cannot get any other way. (I used to play on poneyvallee for some time because my daughter wanted to join (and left her account to me), and battling there was the most boring thing I can think of. And totally pointless, too.)

I think that it would indeed be possible to implement this, albeit in a different manner stated.

Here's my idea: Dragons, not the player, control whether or not they want to battle. This would also fit into the rp/storyline. Dragons are naturally proud, fierce, and strong. Of course, you would always get those warriors in such a race; the black dragons are excellent examples of this. However, conversely, you would also get some dragons that don't want to battle; mint dragons, who are so tiny, would naturally be less keen to battle. However, it would still be possible to have a mint dragon who does want to fight, you would just be more expectant (while breeding) for it to be more of a pacifist dragon.

Dragons would never let themselves be controlled that much by humans; therefore, having them choose whether they want to fight or not shows that pride. However, if the dragon fights whenever it wants to, it would subordinate the role of the breeder. Therefore, a dragon must have an owner's permission to actually fight.

EG. Black Dragon (named "DragonA") wants to fight with Mint Dragon (named "DragonB). DragonB doesn't want to fight; no fight occurs.

However:

DragonA wants to fight with Ember Dragon (named DragonC). DragonC also wants to battle. Player1 (owner of DragonA) allows the fight. Player2 (owner of DragonC) allows the fight. The battle commences.

IMO, this solves most of the problems that people have with battling. As for rewards, it could strictly be a fame thing; dragon breeders that have won more battles are put on a leaderboard, and the higher ranked battlers will thus be more famous. (This fame could also let them have fans, unofficially, who can help them get views or clicks).