Umbreon97

What was it like when you first joined?

I don't remember way back when I first joined... nothing really special happened at the time - and I didn't join the forums til some time after.

The first release I was here for was the Skywing, I think.

I do definitely remember the mass-breeding event though. xd.png It seemed like the cave was blocked for days...

I don't remember when I joined, but it was in '10, before the change. Nothing I caught survived, so everything I have is at least from August 15th. I was a really bad player...

Why was the Nursery deleted?

I guess it was like the first clicksite,and when people started making some of their own and linking them TJ decided to shut it down and let the newbies post their eggs there instead.

I joined around April 2010 (earlier actually, but didn't start playing until April), but was really bad and didn't pay attention to anything. :\ Blacks were common back then. ^^ Don't know the first release I saw since I didn't use the forums (might've had an account, not sure) and I'm too lazy to now.

I joined right after Halloween '08, right after the first Vampires were dropping. I didn't get one, but I remember seeing a few go through the AP.

There were Alt eggs, so regular Blacks and Vines were clogging up the AP. The AP didn't block the Cave. So it was an endless amount of regular Black and Vine eggs. Users didn't have the motivation to catch abandoned eggs that they do now.

Rares could not breed with rares at that point in time, but they were far easier to breed than they are now.

I remember when (Bright) Pinks were so common that they actually stuck around in the Cave for a long time, because people wanted "better" dragons. Both Pink and Purple dragons were only female. I only got two Bright Pinks, an adult and a frozen hatchling, because I wasn't fond of the sprites. I absolutely adore the New Pinks, though.

A little while after I joined, Frills were choking the AP because everyone wanted Skywings. People on the forum complained so much that the Spriter discontinued them. I always liked them, but I didn't get a whole bunch.

This was before most species were Dimorphisized, so a lot of sprites looked the same for quite a while after I joined. All the Seasonals, and Purples looked the same. There was still a thread in the Dragon Requests about it - and some people didn't like the idea.

While I was a member trading was done through the AP, and was risky because someone else might intercept an egg.

The "Legacy Custom Sort" was the only sort option.

People thought that it was against the rules to even tell which egg is which on the forum, but at some point TJ09 said that wasn't actually a rule.

I was here for most of the drops: Yulebucks, Geodes and Frills, Valentines, the "Egg Flood" and almost everything since then. I wasn't on the day of the original Trios drop - I had to get mine through the AP. I even saw the orginal Leetle Trees, though I couldn't manage to get one.

When I first joined I new exactly what to do--get your pink eggs from the cave and let 'em hatch--or so I thought. My first egg died. tongue.gif Resurrecting it didn't work. tongue.gif

I didn't join the forum until about a month or so later because I didn't really have much to do with the other DC members. I still don't log on to the forum that much now. tongue.gif

Um, I remember going to the AP and seeing a wall of green eggs. O_o I was so weirded out! The I refreshed and saw a pretty reddish egg and clicked it. My first egg and my fave. <3 That's pretty much it, since I only joined yesterday. xd.png

No BSAs, no biomes (duh,) and frills were blocking the AP. 4 eggslots for caught egg, an extra one for breeding, although I vaguely remember different rules far before then.

I wouldn't use fansites but I had aid on so people probably took pity on me.

I remember once learning that I had a CB red dorsal, which apparently was pretty nice. I said so on CPA and they thought I was trying to get extra views xd.png.

Uh, I really only caught hatchlings because the eggs tended to die more easily. I remember that first time in a hotel room when my sister urged me to put a bluna egg in a fansite and I was amazed how quickly it hatched.

Oh yeah, I remember the release with canopies and such. It lasted forever. I mean, you think the ratios are broken now, but they aren't. That was broken. We all got excited when someone showed us a CB purple after all that. At that time they were pretty common, but one among the endless limestone and leaves was amazing.

I remember when blacks were so common that, cb blacks would be on the front page for like an hour(Very unrealistic now) until someone gives in and takes them or a huge wall in the abandoned pile. And if you see the abandon page clean of blacks- it's like seeing no eggs at all. In addition, if you wanted a black, refersh the abandoned pile a few times and a black hatchling would be there.

Now, I can't stop thinking why I didn't get a cb black egg back then.

The most popular and major fansite; The Dragcave Fansite (DCF) was up and running, along with Soti and Dragonnery. You only needed one fansite to make your dragons gain massive views!

ERs were actually ERS back then, hatching/growing in LITERALLY 10 seconds, not 30 minutes~hour now.

Bright pinks and blacks were hated and spammed the AP (what The One and Only said).

Lineage page was not "out" yet, so people didn't really care much. The only terms used was "lineage" or "CB", no "2nd gen", "even gen" stairstep, pb etc. Although I'm sure a few did using the lineage checker on Soti, but mostly just to check if inbred or not. A rare was a rare and people were not picky.

I once traded a 2nd gen Geode for THREE papers, both considered amazing things back then. But now..? xd.png

Metallics were common. blink.gif

You could get multi-clutches...something I miss dearly. sad.gif

CB Metallic catching in the cave actually used to be possible. xd.png

I remember when the blacks were always in the AP, and were super duper common. Ha, I didn't bother getting a CB Black then. xd.png

Oh yeah, frills were really common too. Since I wasn't a fan of them, I didn't get them, only one. By then, they were not available anymore. :/

There was only one cave, and you could have 4 eggs and 4 hatchlings. Glad that was changed though. ^^ There was no renaming, and no Fertility or Teleport BSA

Ha, I remember when I thought skywings were super rare. xd.png I could never get them from the AP!

I joined the summer of '08. Back then, there rarely any eggs in the abandoned page. I didn't even know what cave blocking was. There were no habitats, and the dragons didn't have special abilities. You also couldn't rename your dragons, so if you mistype something well...you're pretty much stuck with it.

You could actually see CB metallics once in a while. But it was hard to get them because the site used to lag a lot.

The bright pink dragons were still around, even though people didn't really care for them much. Thinking back, I wish I grabbed a few more (I only have 1 on my scroll). There weren't so many different dragon breeds (around 20-30 types). People also didn't care about dragon lineages, they only cared about what dragon eggs were laid.

Bright pinks and purples were female only.

You could only have 4 eggs at a time, but an extra egg if it's a bred egg (I still thought this was in place until a few months ago, hahaha silly me)

Edited by majestic_fire

I remember how much I really liked the dragons and wanted to learn more. The scroll owner, found on another site which lead to to DragonCave, refused to help me. I was told that it was a secret and I had to learn to play on my own. I wasn't dissuade, obviously biggrin.gif

I had DSL back then with a very bad/slow connection over old overhead phone lines. I hunted at the AP because I could see the pretty eggs. I managed to grab a tiny white one and three more. Then I found I was scroll locked. I tried to abandon the tiny white one but it said I had to wait so I killed it. ARGH!! I killed a chicken!!...innocently due to ignorance blink.gif Good thing I didn't know it back then what I had done.

At the AP I also saw lots of really ugly tiny pink things partially curled lying on their sides that reminded me of sleeping neked baby mice. I didn't know they were special, I just knew I didn't want any of THOSE! LOL!

Hunting at the AP was so hard for me. I would see a pretty colored egg that I wanted but some always got it before me. I can't remember when I took the great leap and I started hunting at the Cave.

Because of the slow server I had, I relied on a friend who I talked into joining to give me eggs. She had a really fast connection and she would give me CB eggs and new eggs when they were released as well as nonCB Silvers and Golds. I spent most of my time happily breeding the eggs I had so I would have more. It was easier to breed them than to try to catch something really good at the Cave.

There was a glitch, at some point, when the metallics were producing clutches of eggs...back then multiple egg clutches were normal. That is how I got so many on my scroll.

My first Christmas was exciting. Seeing the really pretty white eggs with the red "ribbon" wrapping around it ramped up my anticipation of what the baby dragons would look like. The Yulebucks didn't disappoint. My friend made sure I had a pair.

Let's see... I joined right before The Fog, in March 2008. Someone on another forum I used to visit made a topic about DC, and I was quite intrigued since I love dragons. I do recall being slightly put out by the use of copyrighted sprites.

All dragons were male except Pinks, Purples, and female Silvers. Unaware of this, I gave my first dragon (a Pebble) a female name before he gendered - and promptly discovered I could not rename when he did gender. Oops! I left it there for nostalgia's sake.

There were hardly ever any eggs in the AP and they disappeared almost instantly. By far, I would reckon most eggs were CB, due to the male/female imbalance making it harder to breed. Since you couldn't view lineages, CB vs. bred was rather irrelevant. I do wish I had gotten a CB bright pink, though - especially when bright pinks were considered "blockers"! My bright pink was my first bred egg and I was so proud of snagging her from the AP.

Right as I started getting into the game - bye bye site. The Fog had arrived! I joined the forum not long after in order to see what on earth was going on. Since I found out the site would be down for a long time, I started exploring other areas of the forum. I posted my first Dragon Request a month later. (The Sunsets/Sunrises, originally called "Twilight Dragons" as I hadn't thought about a daytime variant yet. And nope, the name had nothing to do with a certain book series.)

I just joined Sunday for Dragon Cave and Last night for the Forum. This is my first forum ever being on, I dont usually go on these thigns but I decided to give this a try. I'm still learning about the Dragon eggs and how everything works. Waiting for my Dragons to hatch since since Sunday. I saw this site before and the second time around I decided to try it out since I love Dragons.

I made an account last year during October sometime. I remember that there was only about 2 people in the caves at a time. Now when I look, there is 8 or more. I also remember that during that halloween the caves would be packed, but it was only about 100 people. Now, on Valentines, there was more like 150. My first egg was a Hellfire Wyvern, 6 days and 22 hours left. I remember being amazed at the AP. Now all there is is stones, all the greeny eggs, and occasionally the balloon or two. I was SO excited about naming all my dragons, but I ended up naming them really cheezy.

I joined in December 2009. What I remember most from back then is the hatcheries that are no longer around...SotiDragon, Eggs Will Be Dragons, Dragonnery, Jade Destiny, all those. You could put your eggs in a few of those and they'd get exactly the right amount of views as they grew. Nowadays it's either too little or too much.

Then I remember the AP spontaneously filling with Snow Angel eggs during their release. That's how I got mine. c:

I also remember showing my fourth egg, a Guardian, to all my friends exclaiming it was rare because my mentor said it was uncommon. laugh.gif

I joined in December 2009. What I remember most from back then is the hatcheries that are no longer around...SotiDragon, Eggs Will Be Dragons, Dragonnery, Jade Destiny, all those. You could put your eggs in a few of those and they'd get exactly the right amount of views as they grew. Nowadays it's either too little or too much.

Then I remember the AP spontaneously filling with Snow Angel eggs during their release. That's how I got mine. c:

I also remember showing my fourth egg, a Guardian, to all my friends exclaiming it was rare because my mentor said it was uncommon. laugh.gif

Exactly! Oh, god, the nostalgia! Blacks /everywhere/. Plus Dorsals. Got my 2nd gen Purple X Pink red dorsal from sheer luck as a newbie, had no idea what was going on, didn't notice lineages, resented lineages, and now I can't look at anything but lineages. Clean and pretty or I'm throwing it. xd.png

You know Im actually glad I ran across this thread, its helped to give me a few ideas on how to get a better start. Not sure if I have messed up quite yet but...Im likely going to have at least one moment in which I am beating my head against the laptop.

I was on for like 6 months before I finally figured out to use click sites. Before that my eggs wouldn't even crack, much less hatch. I must have gone through a hundred eggs before I finally got one hatchling. rolleyes.gif

Not to mention, I would always pick up inbred eggs in the cave not realizing what the problem was, and breed them, and breed their offspring... My scroll has so many inbreds it's not even funny.

the only mistake i made was breeding with out knowing there was an egg limit

There weren't so many different dragons. Golds and silvers were more common, and the gold stripe was different. Blacks and bright pinks were everywhere. You could tell alts by the egg. There were many hatcheries and ERs were effective (it took only a couple of minutes for an egg to hatch). Trades went through AP and were really stressful, but then again it was a lot of fun to hunt there and try to grab rarities.

(I read this thread to catch up, since I haven't been here for some time. biggrin.gif)

I was on for like 6 months before I finally figured out to use click sites. Before that my eggs wouldn't even crack, much less hatch. I must have gone through a hundred eggs before I finally got one hatchling.  rolleyes.gif

Not to mention, I would always pick up inbred eggs in the cave not realizing what the problem was, and breed them, and breed their offspring... My scroll has so many inbreds it's not even funny.

Thats so sad xd.png I feel bad for you.. When I joined DC, I read the whole wiki, so all my first eggs survived ^^ except one which I attempted to force.... And haha I remember not even knowing how to pronounce the word lineage!!!! I just liked the pretty dragons. And now, unless it's rare, if it doesn't have a perfect lineage, it's gone.

Edited by kiyye