Umbreon97

What was it like when you first joined?

joined inbetween thanksgiving and xmas last year. there was only 3 slots in the cave, no biomes, no teleport, a lost in trade thread, less egg space for everyone, the tricky "bred" slot, no fertility and not nearly as many gifting threads. my first christmas there was also a fiasco where a ton of ribbon eggs died and tj was generous enough to give a roll back to those people and removing the dead eggshells so they could pick up more eggs.

I started playing in Feb. 2009, and joined the forums during the lagmonster attack about a month later. The '09 valentines were available when I started playing, but didn't know anything about the rarity of different types of dragons, so didn't catch any.

Looking at the DC History, I see that the first new egg released after I started playing was the spring seasonal; the first mass release of new eggs after I started was the Egg Flood with Balloon, Daydream, Dorsal, New Pink, Striped, Sunrise/Sunset, and Whiptail.

When I started, there were no BSAs, no lineage/progeny links (thus older dragons tend to have sloppy lineages), and the AP was clogged with blacks, old pinks, frills, and mints.

Edited by casprrr

I started in November of 09' and like most newbies crashed and banged my way through it until I thought I had a handle on how to play--only to discover months later that I had many inbred dragon's on my scroll. DC 1 ME Zip. I went back and released all those that were inbred and started again basically. I also had to hone my "catching" skills back in the day (nostalgia much) that there were only three spots for the drops in the old Cave and that was highly competitive to say the least. I think that served me well. Perhaps some of the issues (besides slower computers) in catching the new eggs in Alpine is that some of the brand new players are used to the multiple biomes and hadn't, prior to this, experienced what it was like trying to catch new eggs in just three spots.

Edited by Misha

I joined in AUgust 2008 when the Skywings were just released and I didn't know they were new. I still remember that a White, Split, Skywing and Water were my first 4 eggs.

Eggs in the cave disappeared so fast and I had a hard time just getting eggs of anything. Even commons. I also remember I always checked TJ's scroll because I used it as a guide for all the breeds and was always looking forward to new releases because he always had them on his scroll first. IIRC, the last release before TJ hid his scroll forever was the Guardian. His guardian's code was pf13 after pokemonfan13.

I also remember the pokemon attack when most of the sprites became pokemon. And I did a double take when I saw my scroll.

I read some posts here that old pinks and purples were rares before I joined but what I remember was that they were ultra common and even blocked the caves sometimes. Along with blacks and vines. Now it's a complete 180-degree turn. Lol.

And like most people said, cave blocking was almost unheard of back then and CB metals were abundant. When the lineage feature was added, people actually wanted lineaged eggs instead of CBs. The longer, the better. Imagine that.

Oh, and I remember ladiefare posting in Livejournal asking to trade back to her the descendants of Midas Dorkface from all available breeds. Little did I know I was witnessing DC history. =)

Edited by Ysera

I joined in September '09 (though I may have joined late August; my first dragon to survive to adulthood grew up on September 12 1009 so I just go by that :U). I joined the forums like 6 months later in June 2010. Back then it was still just the one cave with the old scroll limits (oh how I do not miss those limits |D).

The first release I was here for was technically the pumpkins but Halloween was on a Sunday that year and that was back in the day when I only had library internet access and they weren't open Sundays so I didn't get any CB pumpkins. After that was the Trio release and had my friends on another site not told me there was a new release, I'd have just gone on thinking "OOOH a dragon I haven't seen before 8D" so that was really my first release. |D

Back when I started I didn't know anything about BSAs and such and eggs took around 4 days to hatch (without incubate) instead of 3 days without incubate. o3o Fun times.

I think I joined a little after the Datamonster attack. I just grabbed a CB purple, copypasta'd her code to my Serebiiforums signature and forgot about everything, until a few days later I remembered she actually existed. She survived and grew up, and so became my life here in Dragon Cave. biggrin.gif

Aww man, I still remember that insane excitement when I caught my first striped from the AP. The stripeds were one of my favorites back then, so you can guess how happy I was when I finally got one.

I joined on March 20, 2010. Right before the frills were retired. I got one frill as one of my first four eggs and never bothered to get another one, I didn't quite understand at the time they were going away forever lol.

I do not miss the old scroll limits at all xd.png

None of my eggs ever died and I never asked questions, I figured out the game pretty quick. I was a smart noob xd.png I joined the forum in April 2010.

When I joined, frills were still blocking the AP like crazy (shortly after they were discontinued, but I didn't know any better and didn't grab one *headdesks multiple times*)

Seven of the eggs I grabbed died because they never got enough views, and I just wanted to give up. I was too shy to ask for help from anyone, but finally found out how to get eggs to hatch. (Then the hard part was getting them to grow up all the way lol)

There was only one cave with new eggs dropping all the time, and I was always too slow to get the good ones. xd.png I still am, for the most part.

I probably joined before Christmas 08. I had caught a few eggs, but not understood how to get them the amount of views and such, so they died. (None of them were Christmas eggs.) I had tried getting them their views by tossing their incubator on my sig for other forums to have it clicked on there. That sort of worked. I got my first dragon out of it. Poor thing.

I got lucky and was able to catch the 09 Valentine's eggs and had started reading the forums to get ideas of what to do for my eggs. First thing I remember reading was about how the freshly released Valentine's dragon eggs were disappearing. Lord I panicked and checked out my eggs. They were fine thankfully. (I was a little saddened to not get one of the alt types...but then again, those that lost their eggies kind of deserved to have such pretty alts.)

From the forums I learned about the websites that help us take care of our eggs. So I stopped trying hard to keep my incubator in my sig and just enjoy the eggs.

Though, I will admit, I'm quite glad we are allowed to rename our dragons. I was about to lose a silver from the fact I had unwisely named it after someone else, and found myself regretting naming my silver after them.

Still miss though when I could find Gold and Silvers in the AP...it is how I got my first gold and silver. *sighs*

Though, I do like the new dragons.

You could find a dino, a CB metallic, and some more of such things. laugh.gif

However, bluh bluh, when I first joined old pinks were the cave blockers and everyone hated them.

I joined in mid '09. I viewed DragCave as a brand-new, unfamiliar, wonderful, confusing place. I'd gotten as many eggs as I could (4), but since I had no idea what to do with them, they ended up dying. I'd been dismayed. With my next four, I'd learned to put them on a click site. xd.png

One of my favourite things about the site when I was new was the feeling I got and wonder I felt when I saw all those eggs, with different and pretty designs and colours on them. Especially with the more swirly, fancier ones. biggrin.gif

When I joined, there were different sprites for the alt eggs and the original eggs, kind of like geodes today.

I remember when I would camp out in the AP for hours on end looking for golds and silvers and boy was I good at that! The only regret was that I never grabbed any golds/silvers when they were easier to get as CB. Thus why I don't have any. sad.gif

I joined maybe two weeks before the Yulebucks, one of my first 12 batch of eggs, one of the only surviving dragons I have now is my stone, seasonal (autumn), and paper from back then. All of those were before my Yulebuck.

I remember when there was no BSAs, rarexrare breedings, 1 cave, and much more wasn't implemented until I came back after maybe 1-2 years hiatus. I also remember when Frills were still very common in the caves, I only grabbed a pair so I regret that a lot. I also regret only grabbing 1 old pink.

I'll add more when I think of them. biggrin.gif

Back when I first joined there were no Holiday dragons! If only I had been a bit more devoted, I'd probably have a couple CB Holly dragons today.

Back in my day we didn't have no fancy ol' map thingamabob, either!

I don't remember there being anywhere near so many dragons, and it was so much easier to get thinks like Blacks and Metallics. In fact, my first dragon was an alt Black!

Frills and Hot Pinks? Oh how I hated them both! Too many of them, and they weren't what I wanted. Heh, had I known then that they weren't going to be around forever, I'd have probably hoarded them.

Have Lineages always been around? I don't remember them from back when I joined.

I joined back in 2009. I wish I had stuck around through the years a bit more devotedly than I did. I'll say one thing: I've missed many, many wonderful releases, and every single Holiday except Christmas of 2011.

It saddens me quite a bit, really. Heh.

i joined late last year, probably in december. i remember learning about dorkfaces and thinking they were unbeleivably awesome ( WHICH THEY ARE ) and bombing gift threads and not knowing what stuff like AP OP and CB meant. i also remember the gold sprites hadnt been replaced nad i remembered thinking that their tails looked so epic.

i also remember when winter magis were out and i was like WHAT THE HEY IVE NEVER SEEN THIS DESCRIPTION BEFORE!! and i clicked it and i was all like is this some day golry/night glory alt???

and then i discovered hwat releases were.

Edited by kiyye

*feels like a newbie*

My First holidays were the Marrows. The first thing I noticed as a blocker was my beloved mints. The SW update was the first one I saw happen. And here, people are reminiscing about when Yoshis were Yoshis and not Dinos. xd.png

I'm glad I arrived after BSAs and "biomes" vs one cave were in place. I had seen the dragons in peoples forum sigs elsewhere for years. And I remember I kept thinking "what a stupid concept... (this is not a negative post, bear dragon with me)." Then I was between games and saw a Female Sunset Dragon in someone's sig from ..... Looking for Groups forums on some subject about the awesomeness of Richard the Evil. You probably know who you are though I have forgotten. I will go check up to see if I can find you.

Anyway, I really like the game that I came into. While nostalgia is nice, I really have enjoyed the additions to the game and have really enjoyed its development and releases and it just seems to constantly get better and better and better each few months. I don't think I would have latched on to it if I had come earlier. So my timing was just right for me.

I joined in the beginning of November in '08. I remember Blacks and Vines blocking the AP, and the alt eggs having different sprites. I remember when Pinks and Frills blocked the AP and when Eggs had different timers. When Leetle Trees (and adult dragons) still gained views and when Papers had genders (I have two).

It's been so long I forget exactly what I've been around for and what I haven't but I've seen a lot. tongue.gif

And no Delillah, I don't believe lineages existed some time ago. You would have to keep clicking on the parents to trace it back to the original CB's. xd.png

Edited by tikigurl91

I grabbed whatever I thought was/looked rare in the AP, based on the knowledge of what had appeared on previous refreshes of the page.

I ignored the forums for several reasons, mainly because I was (and still sort-of am) socially awkward.

Looking at another person's scroll was both fun and maddening, since I got to see new dragons that I didn't have, but also I got jealous since they had them and I didn't. xd.png

I joined in 2010, right before the holiday dragons came out for that year. I remember feeling overjoyed when I got one for that year, and then some other past years in the AP.

... And then something happened, can't remember what, and I just completely forgot about this place. huh.gif

I joined up once way before, when Blacks, Pinks, and Frills flooded the AP. ^.^ And metallics were common. I remember thinking that the sprites weren't as pretty as the pinks. 1 Cave, 4 spots with 1 breeding spot, no lineages. Then I left for a looonnnggg time.

And I joined again in Jun 2011 and got to see pygmies and BSAs and finally joined the forums, and got to see the Holidays.

*sigh* Bet if I stayed on my old account I could've gotten a CB Holly.

._. I joined almost two years ago, and feel like an ancient thing. My join date on here is about.. eh, a month after I joined DC itself? I remember the blacks. So /many/ blacks, and dorsals. I loved just staring at the AP, except I had no idea that a kill slot took you up for 24 hours. Man, I love looking back and seeing all of the new releases. I think my first 'real' release was the Spits and Waverunners. I might be wrong, it was so long ago.

I joined less than a year after Dragon Cave began. Back then, we went after eggs in both caves just to have a male, female, and perhaps a frozen hatchling of each. There was very little focus on lineages, generations, and so forth. It was more collect, for collection's sake. The abandoned cave was much more difficult to snag things as it only released a handful at a time. Trading was near impossible--ANYONE had chance to grab the egg/hatchie to be traded since it appeared in the abandoned cave and the person with the code only had like a millisecond head-start on others. It was all about timing. The main cave had no biomes, etc. It was a rapid change of 3 eggs at a time. I miss those days actually.

Oh yeah--and metallic golds and silvers were somewhat abundant in either cave too.

Edited by Blazewing

Blacks and Bright Pinks sat for ages in the cave, the AP hardly ever had eggs...often there were no eggs in the main cave either. Ah, the good old days

Well, I don't really remember that well, but the AP was blocked with blacks and some frills all the time. Sometimes there were some alt pinks. Metallics weren't that common then (I think I joined afterwards). Once I discovered how fansites work I just collected some dragons and with the time I learned about their rarity. I believe alts didn't have separate egg sprites in April '09, at least I didn't see any (please correct me if I'm wrong). Papers didn't have genders any more, but of course the eggs still had their old sprites.

I remember being able to catch CB blacks decently enough, but for whatever reason I didn't care as much about CB's back then and never collected CB blacks... x_x;

I remember when the frills came out, I remember the old pinks, when purples and pinks could only be female, metals were a bit more common, but still kinda rare... I remember that there were days that I caught a glimpse of a silver's description three times a day, golds I saw once or twice a week... My first holiday was the Yulebucks, and then I wasn't on for Valentines... Snow Angels came out, and I ended up taking a hiatus... only to come back to multiple biomes, and larger limits for my scroll, ^^;