Umbreon97

What was it like when you first joined?

I joined when there were always blacks in the cave in fact one of the first eggs that I got was a CB black (it died after I got it). I also remember the 09 snowangels I couldn't get. Oh how bad at catching eggs I was. I also miss the beautiful lineages that the dragons in the ap had oh how I miss the days when I was a newbie. If only I was better at catching dragons back then.

When I first joined the website I was looking at other peoples scrolls and thinking "woah thats a lot of dragons!" My collection has gotten bigger and I never knew it would. I joined a couple summers ago.

I remember a lot of things: no freeze limit and the drama occured when it was implemented, blacks and vines blocking the cave, pinks and frills walls after. I was new, so rares seemes pretty hard for me to get, I spent about 2 months trying to get my first paper.

All information about dragon was written in one coulmn, not two like it is now. There were no BSAs, and all dragons' breeds were equal this way. Having a vampire and autumns made your scroll epic. There we no dimporhism, except for certain breeds like silvers and splits. Balloons and whiptails were considered new and desirable. You could really produce 4 eggs in one breeding.

And I remember one great thing: once there were no lineage tools at DC. At all! You could manually check parents and parents of the parents, etc. But you couldn't see the lineage, so there were no lineage projects. Probably, there were only two known lineages: Thuweds and Dorkfaces, and you had to check by generations, whether your dragon belongs to one of them.

Also I miss some great fansites like SotiDragon and JadeDestiny.

I joined the forum much later than start playing, so I've never seen the Vent Thread. Can anyone tell me what it was about?

I joined in December 08', and was trying to get an Autumn, and then the Winters were all the rage. I didn't get a yulebuck, and i heard the leetle trees did weird things. It was before the server switch, in the days of no puddles on puddle eggs and the black eggs didn't glow. It was before the lag, and the data monster. I saw a metallic on the cave in the month I want to call January '09.

The Bite BSA was less than two weeks old when I joined, so vampires were rare and /really/ highly wanted.

Adult '09 Valentines had a different sprite.

The epic dramaz surrounding the snow angel alts.

As now, the kindness of complete strangers when I first joined surprised me most pleasantly. Syphoneira, AngelRC22, Lagie, and others took me in hand and taught me how to play and have a good time here.

I remember how plentiful blacks on the CAVE were then (December '08), and that I thought this game would take up too much time from other...oh wait. It still does that... xd.png

When I first signed up, Frills had just been discontinued o.o

I was a member of DragCave, before I was a member of the forums. I did get 2 Frills, but they were so abundant, I always thought I would be able to get more. But being a newbie, I was trying to get some of everything, and then poof, they were gone.

Blacks and stripes were so common, you couldn't give them away. Guardians, Stones and Skywings were way more uncommon.

I remember the wall of blacks and vines in the AP. There were no BSAs (excluding 'Bite') in existence and no rename feature (*le gasp*) so there was always an element of risk involved with naming dragons before they gendered. x)

I think at that point it was still possible to tell the difference between a regular and alt vine egg which was how I got my only alt vine. Definitely remember using the wiki and taking screenshots of the eggs I found in the cave and comparing them to the alt/reg egg sprites from the wiki. Think I tried the same with blacks. :P

Also remember learning that frills would be discontinued and grabbed two. Remember seeing an old pink egg in the AP but wasn't fast enough to take it. Didn't see another one after that.

I had joined the forum soon after the cave but only to look at the Completed List (if I recall correctly, it's locked until you sign in). Fell in love with Persian Blue (now Royal Blue), Opera/Operetta, Wildfire/White Water amongst some others. I disliked trading because arranging times to be on at the same time was a pain and even if you timed it down to the last second, you could always lose the egg to a lurker in the AP.

There was a lag monster attack that I actually remembered! I lost 4 vampires and remember PMing TJ about it because back then, I was obsessed with trying to raise an army of them. :P

All of my dragons had incredibly messy lineages and I exercised a strong preference for AP eggs over CB eggs at the time. Silly decision on reflection. :u

Oh memories. ♥

Four eggs and four hatchies, blacks were common, old pinks were around, seasonals and yulebucks were released shortly after joining. There were no BSAs or teleport, and no renaming! Feels insane to look back and try to comprehend how we survived without renaming xd.png

Edited by EeveeSkitty

I don't know how we survived with only 4 eggs and 4 hatchies. xd.png

I remember the wall of blacks in the AP. And a lot of them were CB!

Chaos. The forums were all up in a panic about Vampires, why some users had their scrolls burned, and if vampires really killed eggs and hatchlings on your scroll. People were furious and confused, and I was half expecting a public lynching to get started. Needless to say I did not stick around for long =o

On the site itself, I remember staunchly refusing to grab any pinks, blacks, purples, waters... because everyone had them and I was sick of seeing them on different forums. There were even people so fed up with seeing them in signatures that they would purposely post them everywhere so they'd get sick and die. Pretty sure that was when dead dragons could equal a burnt scroll.

So I grabbed a grey and a Split-- neither of which were popular where I visited-- hatched them, named them, got bored, left for a long while. Yay, nostalgia.

When I first joined it was right when November hit so right around after/during the Halloween chaos. I didn't understand the event or what was going on so I just went and grabbed vines, whites, and whatever else I liked since I was new and everything was shiny and unknown for me.

I remember not joining the forum for like a month but lurking it, afraid to join since it kind of intimidated me.

I also remember how hectic my first christmas here was along with the valentines. (I remember 'sacrificing' one of my egg slots like a number of others were doing to grab bright pinks since nobody wanted them.)

One cave, three eggs, not fun at all during holidays :|

Four eggslots with a bred-only fifth.

Blacks, old pinks, frills abound.

NO INFLUENCE BSA D8 -played havoc on lineages-

Vampires were tough to get.

Rarexrare was a wonder! And people would collect descendants regardless of the messiness of lineage. Same went for Holly descendants. The Even Gen Thread really shaped how people viewed lineages IMO.

I joined JUST in time to miss the Christmas 2009 snow angel release... and just after Mid-Winter Madness - which I didn't actually exactly notice as I didn't realise those dragons were new smile.gif My first "new"was Valentine's and I'd no idea you could only have two and that they were only for the day.... (I only caught one, anyway !)

My first adult was a pretty mint. With hindsight I can now see someone was aiming for a green stripe. Too bad smile.gif

I didn't come here for some time. It was an eye-opener !!!

One cave, three eggs, not fun at all during holidays :|

Four eggslots with a bred-only fifth.

Blacks, old pinks, frills abound.

NO INFLUENCE BSA D8 -played havoc on lineages-

Lineages didn't even matter to me when I was new... I had no idea what I was doing when I bred my dragons. o3o

But lol yes @ the four egg slots + bred 5th slot. That always seemed so random to me. :P

One cave = </3 The latest release proved that to me when I struggled to catch the golden wyverns in one biome. o.x

You couldn't view lineages when I joined, and there were no BSAs...papers had genders (I have a male one), and I remember the panic over the original vamp release, mentioned above. I mostly lurked on the forums back then.

I also don't remember any help sites back then - I used to post my eggs in a LiveJournal community specifically for trading clicks and views. I also remember when ladiefare named Midas Dorkface because he gendered wrong (she was a member of the same LJ community).

Now I feel old...at least in DC time. wink.gif

I joined last year (right after Valentine's Day... if only I would've joined a week earlier & I could've had holidays as my first dragons...) so the only thing different now is the biomes, teleport, and fertility.

I only did one trade the here's-the-abandoned-page-link-good-luck! way.

& I remember when I thought it was possible to get Spriter's Alts. I wanted a Nepherim Sweetling Alt soooo bad (I still want it... but I know better now).

A lot of the things how the cave was when I joined have been said already, but what I am missing between the abaundant black, vines, bright pinks and the vampire drama is:

When I joined in September 2008, after watching dragons grow for over 2 months before I was sure I knew how to handle them, guardians and skywings were brand new and high in demand. The summers just came out for like the last week of teh summer and were highly in demand as well smile.gif

My first 4 dragons never hatched since click sites weren't popular at the time, other than everyone joining Gaia online to spam their forums.

There was no such thing as a BSA.

There was no such thing as a badge (if I remember correctly).

The silver dragon had only just gotten a different sprite for the sexes. (Methinks... I was there for the discussion of it I know, though).

I don't believe trades were really possible/ever occurred.

The original mint was there as well as some other sprites like the original pink which was insanely common and was like the pokemon ditto. The original Yoshi-type dino was there too. I remember a Yoshi Fan forum became a bit popular as scroll owners spammed there too xd.png

There was one main cave which resulted in me getting only one Yulebuck, which I had to freeze (I had left DC for a little while and didn't realize that click sites were slowly becoming popular).

There were much fewer mods. (I don't know if it's a figment of my imagination, but I'm sure TJ's scroll was accessible).

Holiday dragons weren't out except for the Holly dragon which I joined about 2 weeks late for. (No Valentines or Halloween either).

The Seasonal Dragon was still being dreamed up and sprited.

There were much less people on Dragon cave. ohmy.gif

There was no wiped forum. I used to be one of the top posters, until everything went ka-blank.

The metals were rare of course, but they were easier to get.

Lineages were being dreamed up laugh.gif It was a fun idea people wanted, but would take a bit of work.

I'm sure a lot of other things were different too lol

Edit: Just remembered that alts weren't there for any dragon, and the black dragon was so much easier to pick up.

Edited by DeathCry

Oh, and one thing which I missed: Dragons regularly had multiple clutches. Now it's only holiday dragon that have that ability. (I guess it was to clear up the abandoned page a bit? No one ever answered when I asked).

I am sure there are loads which I forgot ...

Firstly, the sole idea of not having the lineage tool seems so absurd to me now that I can hardly remember what it was like without it - I remember spending hours clicking randomly on my dragons' parents and ancestors o3o There were like, one third of the breeds we have now, but they seemed endless to me back then xd.png When I thought I had seen them all, a new one popped up in the AP. I believed for months that skywing eggs hatched into Yulebucks :'D

I joined two weeks before valentine's day 2009 and can vividly recall my frustration at not being able to catch a single effing Val09 despite having tried for hours :|

I missed the whole drama about it, though, as I joined the forum several months later.

Then... no BSAs! =o The rush of adrenaline before every trade wasn't all that bad, but I couldn't do without teleport anymore.

And I could never go back to the old scroll limits, either...

When I joined drops were in ONE cave and lastete 5 Minutes at the most. Hunting was extreme fast and very attractive.

Trading was always full of anxiety (eggs went over the AP) and joy when it worked out.

There were bright pinks and blacks everwhere.