Umbreon97

What was it like when you first joined?

I searched pretty well, forgive me if there's been a topic like this before.

But I was just remembering yesterday, how Dragcave was back then before it got new sprites and such. How much can you remember about DC when you joined that is different now?

I remember joining when the '07 Christmas Dragons were being dropped, and I wasn't able to catch one, but all my other friends had...oh how I wanted one. I thought they were beautiful. Still do. <3

I also remember all the old sprites...I have to wonder if I still have them saved..

The old sprites were the reason I didn't want a White back then. xd.png

Papers had genders (mine still does...he's male, bottom of my scroll).

You were able to breed metallics together (I bred my Silver and Gold and got a Silver).

It was also a time when you didn't have to compete with 500 different people for an egg, and when it was likely that you actually WOULD see a CB metallic in your lifetime. In fact, they were dropped quite often, as I remember.

I also remember that back then, Dinos were Yoshis. And my friends considered Pinks and Purples rare and wonderful because they were the only dragons who could be female, next to the Silver.

Kinda makes me wish there was a way to view DC in the old way, with the old sprites and everything. I wish so much the old DC was back, even if there were some problems with it.

What about Dragcave now is different from how it was back then when you joined?

Edit: Ah! I do have them saved!

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/U...nbannergood.png

Though the bottom ones never existed, I just thought they were awesome.

And I found a picture of the long gone Nursery, too. :'3

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/U...agonnursery.png

Edited by Umbreon97

I remember trying to join the site a long time ago (internet wise), but the site didn't even work for me.

I remember the AP hardly ever having eggs. And I remember rushing to get a skywing because it was the newest dragon. tongue.gif Main drops were always on the hour and minor ones every five minutes (dunno if it's still like that, the cave is almost always blocked now).

I actually joined sometime in spring of '07...

all my dragons died, so I left.

I returned in '08, the last couple of days summers were being dropped. New scroll, new life

First dragon survived and grew up December 9th, 2008.

Couldn't get a yule, though sad.gif

The AP was empty, and the front page? There was a even a scramble for COMMON EGGS. (well except pinks, that's still the same). This caveblocking? well we had no idea what that was! twas a foreign concept, a mere smudge on the horizon of the future, that an egg might languish in the AP for more than half a minute. Truly we live in dark times o.o

*wanders onto the next thread with my "THE END IS NEAR" sign*

The AP was empty, and the front page? There was a even a scramble for COMMON EGGS. (well except pinks, that's still the same). This caveblocking? well we had no idea what that was! twas a foreign concept, a mere smudge on the horizon of the future, that an egg might languish in the AP for more than half a minute. Truly we live in dark times o.o

xd.png It was hard for me to get my first egg, which was a black. Eggs on the front page never stayed for more than three seconds.

Ahaaaa yes I know. xd.png

That was when it was a much smaller community.

Dark times indeed. |D

It was like this. But I didn't know what I was doing, didn't know what an IRC was, didn't have a gold (hatchling still), didn't feel like I belonged here in any form or way. Oh, and we have new dragons.

EDIT: It's been like 3 months since I posted this, so I may as well say I remember there being new eggs rather often in the summer, and there weren't BSAs at that point. And you could still get the old pinks, even though they were really rare at that point.

Edited by cpoggie

Hahaha, back then dragons were only named for the colors they were! And we didn't have all these newfangled forum groups and communities >:o

I remember the old sprites, but I wasn't joined. Everyone on a other had gone crazy with them, and I couldn't join. I joined in January this year before frills and geodes were around. Every dragon before the Frills and Geodes had and still have a feel that new dragons lack.(That is probably why I enjoy raising mints.) The ones that lack that that were before the frills and geodes are 08 Christmas, and sorta of the vamps.

(Note: I was not here on DC for some time, so I seem and feel lacking oddly when it comes to new dragons)

Edited by Mageziya

I joined in October 2008 - before the original vamps, the first mass-breed, Yulebucks, Pokemon prank... etc. Silvers and golds dropped fairly regularly, the cave was never blocked, alt eggs looked different... etx

Let's see. I remember that the AP used to be a mirage...The dragons on there only lasted a few seconds, a minute being a long time. I remember people saying that Skywings were hard to find since the were new.

CB metallics weren't a crazy myth... TJ's scroll was visible too...The only dragons with different sprites between genders was splits and silvers...

OH, my eggs also got sick. They never do now....Cave blockage was a nightmare that people never thought would ever happen.

If I remember right, it was around the time of the plant and black mass breed that Cave Blockage was implemented. The AP's been around, almost permanently, ever since.

Edited by Xinkc

I remember seeing yulebuck eggs on the AP. I never went for them because I didn't know how rare they were.

Oh, && I remember when it wasn't that odd to see a silver or gold egg pop-up on the AP...& you could actually catch one.

Those were the days xd.png

oh jeez. If you could catch a CB egg, you were pretty lucky. They were basically never there. it took insane timing on your part to get three at a time. And an egg in the AP was considered really awesome.

It sounds sweet back when you were there. I joined the day before the LT Dropped. I was like: AAGH! HELP! WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

but, I got over it, and snagged an icy and a paper the next day! n.n

Yay 100!

Edited by Celestial07

Lol Too true. I remember the AP would go huge periods of time with no eggs in it at all. And there were two strategies for hunting there - keep you mouse hovering over on of the two main places that they'd pop up (they popped up in different places then) or try to chase them down when they showed up.

And a CB gold and silver usually seemed to drop once every hourly drop. And they were hourly - you'd pop in, grab the eggs you wanted/you could get and then be on your way. And if you had the right stats then eggs would hatch at 3.5 days and hatchlings would grow at 3.5 days on the dot.

Also, when I joined long lineages were all the rage. I remember people on LJ who would offer eggs to people and stress things like 8th gen, 10th gen whereas now everyone's looking for short lineages.

And man do I remember the lag. We talk about lag now, but if you start before April of this year then you've been through lag. lol Although, honestly, the St. Patrick's Day lag was more of a hosting problem that got corrected. But before we got the new server there was just this general, persistent lag. And the crowd to get leetle trees through that lag? OMG. The little tree thread was massive because they were so hard to get.

~Sarah~

Haunting the cave between drops, waiting for something to appear on the AP, and then chasing the eggs around.

Not knowing what a rare egg was and being happy to get anything.

The "new eggs" that came out after I joined were the vampires. And the autumns came out very late, so there was a rush to get them before they changed to winters.

Yulebucks and leetle trees, which made Christmas fun, and nearly gave me carpal tunnel syndrome. "pets leetle tree*

so true. When I joined pinks and purples were rares, Catching a gold was easier than catching a pink really. ._. I had an easier time catching a cb gold than a cb old pink. Those were the days. When pinks were rare and golds were commoner than pinks

Edited by bluebell_rose

Slow people like me could stay up and hunt the Cave all night (in my and the Cave's similar timezones) and if we worked at it long and hard enough, actually have a chance of catching good things, including CB metallics.

Aaaahhh, the days of the old 3.5...

*sniffles*

I joined in July this year. I remember there being a lot of pinks and purples and mints and I would just ignore those and get the prettiest eggs. xd.png I remember geting a Summer egg but I killed it because I didnt want it. I was a newbie at the time and I didnt know the dead egg was gonna stay on my scroll for weeks. laugh.gif

I joined on January 2009 and i remeber how winters were out and i was like what?! and i was all excited on new eggs and in school i alwasy went to diffrent computers so that the eggswould get a lot of click biggrin.gif

an there was only 1 row of eggs on AP and sometimes none. And i had no idea what all the eggs were so i just randomly clicked them on the cave.

my first special day was Valentine and I was sick and flu, but i did manage to get 2 eggs ^^

and I remeber the happy day on February when i was on library and catched my first dino - green biggrin.gif

and people on the other forum said that hatchling will gender (grow wings) after a day and i was so excited so I saw on a dream that they did, and i was so sad when loged in on my account and they didn't have a gender yet sad.gifbiggrin.gif

Heh. i have my memory right here . (Well, most of it :/ (SALLY-SAN IS IN THAT WHITE EGG )

I joined about end of May, I think. At one point I saw a few gold eggs in the AP and I thought they were dull so I didn't get any. >_< (They weren't going anywhere >.>)

I had a Skywing egg before that, but it reached 0 hours and i was like OMG OMG OMG ITS GONNA DIE! because I had only just joined (I didn't know about any of the Sotidragon and stuff) so my friend who introduced me (his scroll is Daimakaicho click his awesome scroll plz biggrin.gif ) told me to abandon it. This is him. MY BABY GREW UP! Also, I didn't start breeding till July when I learnt about the different colour stripes (I got the green stripe in the AP O_O'').

Good times, goooooood times....

I remember when I first joined and the AP was completely empty. I used to plan to be in the AP around noon EST because that's when all the good eggs showed up. Of course I was a n00b and knew nothing of trades, so I'm sure I grabbed a few. But I think I leapt for joy the first time I caught a paper and it was the only egg there.

Woooh! I liked the sprites back then- They were sweet! I'm not sure which I prefer... The golds, which are pretty, or the old golds, which scream awesomesauce. unsure.gif