iarsma

Regarding Action Timers

I've noticed lately, with all the new actions we've been getting, that the timers aren't all the same on them. For example:

We have one action that is counting UP until the time you can use it again (must go up to 7):

Breed This dragon cannot breed because it last bred less than 5 days ago.

We have two that are counting DOWN until you can use it again (must go down to 0):

Bite You cannot have this dragon bite an egg until 24 more days have passed.

Abandon You cannot abandon this egg because you have not had it long enough. You must wait 1 more hour.

And then we have some that indicate a specific date:

Incubate This dragon cannot warm another egg until Dec 11, 2009.

Influence This dragon cannot influence another egg until Dec 12, 2009.

Earthquake This dragon cannot cause another earthquake until Dec 20, 2009.

Basically, the main suggestion here is to standardize all the action timers into to same type of count-down. Or count-up. Or whatever. I have a personal preference towards the ones that indicate a specific date, just because it tells you right there what day you have to wait for.

A secondary suggestion along with this, and one I've seen voiced by a few people, is to include what time you can use the action again as well, since action timers are to the minute. (So, for example, "This dragon cannot cause another earthquake until Dec 20, 2009 10:13pm EST.) Though if the timezone thing is a reason why a specific time is not said, I can understand that.

Couple of other versions of the secondary suggestion brought up in the thread (if possible), are maybe having a specific date listed up to the last down, then count down in hours on the last day. Or possibly only have more precise timers on the BSAs, and not the Breed action.

Edited by iarsma

Sounds good, and if timezone affects the date style then perhaps countdown style instead. "This dragon can't breed again for another 6 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes." Or whatever.

Sounds good, and if timezone affects the date style then perhaps countdown style instead. "This dragon can't breed again for another 6 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes." Or whatever.

Ooh yes! That'd definitely be a better alternative since timezones can be confusing.

I support this. I know that a lot of newer players have some difficulty figuring out that the timers all go different ways and so nothing is glitching on their pages - especially the breeding timer.

Also, I'd love to have the specific time given if that would be possible.

~Sarah~

I support this as well. It can be really frustrating when the Abandon action says I have to wait 0 more hours to abandon an egg. I also had someone tell me that they had an action say that they couldn't use it until December __ , when it had already been that day for over 18 hours.

I would like something with more detail as well as the standardization if possible. I don't see this as being too hard to implement because obviously somewhere the site is already keeping track of that information.

The bit about going down to very specific times has been argued against quite a few times, actually. It's more an issue of the spam breeders who don't track their breed times; if you know exactly when you can breed again, you breed closer to the sametime every week. If you're not quite sure, it starts to stagger and gives us a lighter server load overall.

Perhaps a middle ground is in order. Not as vague as "This dragon can [action] in 0 hours", but not as specific as "This dragon can [action] in 0 hours 42 minutes".

Half hours? "This dragon can [action] soon/in a little while."

I can see that being a good reason to not do it as well. I thought I recalled it being suggested before, but couldn't remember for sure so I included it anyway. The main thing I'd like to see is all of the timers at least being the same, even if they don't become more exact.

Although perhaps one like Breed should not get a more exact time, but maybe Abandon could get a more exact one? Similar to what you're suggesting of half-hours, instead of hours. That way ones that need to be vague stay vague, ones that don't necessarily need to be vague aren't, and they all count down (or up) the same way.

So for this! All counting the same way and yeah, hours on the breed timer would be awesome.

Giving my support to this.

It creates confusion for newbies.

"The time left till my dragon can breed has gone up!"

"Don't worry, its mean to do that."

"But....everything else is different!"

Standerization would be much neater and make more sense.

I support making them all uniform. I would like to see them more exact, too, but if that is a problem I can do without it. I keep records of exactly when I breed anyway for the few dragons that I do breed regularly.

ooh, yeah! I'm pretty used to the different timers, but my life would be easier if they all just gave a date. All counting down would be good too, but a date would be best.

I'd also support them being more precise, but I understand if TJ doesn't want us managing things that exactly. If I really need an exact time I could always write down when I use an action.

As for the problem of exact times (and exact dates) being less helpful to anyone not on EST, especially if they're not good at working out timezones, that reminds me of something else I've been meaning to suggest.

Another thought: Why can't actions be reset at midnight of the specified day? Let's say, I breed my dragons on Sunday, 6 pm EST. Next time I want to breed them, I usually have to wait for the exact same time. Wouldn't it be much nicer if only the day was thus specified, meaning I'd only have to wait for Sunday?

Sure, in an extreme case, you would be able to breed your dragon 23 h 59 min early, but in the grand scheme (since you can also breed them as much later), it won't make that much of a difference.

I support!

Sometimes I'm so confused with timers. It would be a great help for breeders! (I plan to be one if teleport would be implemented.)

I've been directed here after asking a question in the help section and I really like it!

In my opinion the timers should go down, not up. I like the way it currently is for cb eggs.

"You have to wait x more x until x"

Personally I'd like to see more exact timers as well. I am in a different time zone and especially the timers including a date are really confusing for me.

I think it would save people a lot of headache if the timers said the days and during the last 24 hours, the hours. Minutes might be a bit much, I can see why people have argued against it.

I'd like for the timers to be standardized and have a more exact time as well.

Having the timers standardized would be a smart idea. I've been on DC for nearly two years and I still ocassionally get confused when I look at the way the different timers are written.

I would like to see more specific timers on BSAs, especially vamp bites. Since that's not like a breeding timer - you're not adding to the Cave's population, just converting (or potentially decreasing in case of egg death) part of it.

As for making them all count down in the same direction, great. Consistency is helpful and would probably alleviate some confusion.

Why can't actions be reset at midnight of the specified day?

This makes so much sense!

So standardize the counters, and count by days and not exact minutes. I think that would help with the AP flooding too, because people will be more relaxed about it.

This makes sense. I would really like more specific times, though. I don't understand the 'but if you know the exact time your dragons will be available to breed people will spam the cave' argument, though. It seems like that's still easy to do. I breed every single one of my dragons right now, and then next week, since I don't remember, I do the same thing, just a few hours later. But yet, I'm still dumping a ton of eggs into the cave all at once. No specific timer needed.

If we're standardizing I like the vampire method the best. That way you know exactly when you can breed, etc, again without having to calculate things, either from negative to positive count or date to number of days.

Yes please! Very much please!

I think it would save people a lot of headache if the timers said the days and during the last 24 hours, the hours. Minutes might be a bit much, I can see why people have argued against it.

Also this. A specific date (You can't do X until Dec 13, 2009) until the last 24 hours, and then specify by time (You can't do X for another 18 hours), and possibly down to the half hour. Maybe save half hour only for the last hour (or few hours)? Or only for specific actions such as abandon? But at least specify to the hour for the rest.

Also, everything that works on a timer/counter should have one included, as well. So not only counters for how many more times you can kill/freeze, but also for when you can do it again, just like there already are for when you can breed again, bite again, incubate again, etc...

If we're standardizing I like the vampire method the best. That way you know exactly when you can breed, etc, again without having to calculate things, either from negative to positive count or date to number of days.

What is the vampire method?

Another thought: Why can't actions be reset at midnight of the specified day? Let's say, I breed my dragons on Sunday, 6 pm EST. Next time I want to breed them, I usually have to wait for the exact same time. Wouldn't it be much nicer if only the day was thus specified, meaning I'd only have to wait for Sunday?

Sure, in an extreme case, you would be able to breed your dragon 23 h 59 min early, but in the grand scheme (since you can also breed them as much later), it won't make that much of a difference.

This means major lag spikes at midnight every day, as people begin to spam all their abilities for the day all at once.

Time would be good. It's always annoying seeing "This dragon cannot....less than 7 days ago." for half a day.