Branndi

Twilight

Perfect is one thing.

Edward is simply GODLY.

O GOD from the first two sentences I thought that was going to be a post touting Edward as the greatest thing since AIR.

Shame, I needed a laugh. =D

Actually, it all kinda differs went you look from different point of views. If you look at the book like a gamer, than yeah, the vampires are too perfect.

But when it comes to me liking the book, I like it because the Cullen family, the characters of the said family are just great. Bella is just something... I don't know... Ordinary? There is NOTHING special about her. But I like the book purely because the Cullen family is described so good, I read the book before the "movie madness" and I could picture every one of them in my head. My favs are and always will be Jasper and Alice! smile.gif

Bella ordinary?

Bella is a Mary Sue, author self insert (read the whole thread, it really is interesting).

The women in these books just... ugh, remind me so much of this movie where these women were all "perfect", and turned out they were robots.

Bella ordinary?

Bella is a Mary Sue, author self insert (read the whole thread, it really is interesting).

The women in these books just... ugh, remind me so much of this movie where these women were all "perfect", and turned out they were robots.

The Stepford Wives? They did a remake a few years ago.

I know very good, that Bella is a representation of Meyer! xd.png I don't need to read the whole thread to get it. And frankly I'm just too lazy and sleepy to do it! xd.png (Actually... When you think that Meyer has put her personality, her wishes etc in the series... Breaking Dawn suddenly starts to look REALLY creepy)

But anyway, as I said I'm not looking at the series with cold-harted intelligence at my side! xd.png I'm looking at the book as a... Well... You could practically say writer...

And from that point of view Bella is just... Ordinary. There is NOTHING that makes her stand out from the crowd! If she only had a more interesting character... You know, her own story, her unordinary habits, things that she does... The book just might be better...!

The thing is, 90% of the characters are cardboard cutouts, especially the main pair. I really couldn't stand either of them, and the books' "All woman are good for is babies and they should never do anything for themselves and should do everything that their man says" tones were too disgusting.

I know very good, that Bella is a representation of Meyer! xd.png I don't need to read the whole thread to get it. And frankly I'm just too lazy and sleepy to do it! xd.png (Actually... When you think that Meyer has put her personality, her wishes etc in the series... Breaking Dawn suddenly starts to look REALLY creepy)

But anyway, as I said I'm not looking at the series with cold-harted intelligence at my side! xd.png I'm looking at the book as a... Well... You could practically say writer...

And from that point of view Bella is just... Ordinary. There is NOTHING that makes her stand out from the crowd! If she only had a more interesting character... You know, her own story, her unordinary habits, things that she does... The book just might be better...!

Actually, ordinary people have thoughts, interests, and feelings. All of which bella lacks.

I also look at the book from a writer perspective. And she's not ordinary, she's a cardboard cut Mary Sue.

Actually, ordinary people have thoughts, interests, and feelings. All of which bella lacks.

I also look at the book from a writer perspective. And she's not ordinary, she's a cardboard cut Mary Sue.

She barely qualifies for cardboard though- that's kind of thick and has some dimension to it.

Rice paper works better.

"The thing is, 90% of the characters are cardboard cutouts, especially the main pair. I really couldn't stand either of them, and the books' "All woman are good for is babies and they should never do anything for themselves and should do everything that their man says" tones were too disgusting."

agreed. bella and edward literally have no personalities. bella is hollow enough for girls to read and pretend they are bella, and edward is just some kind of sex god. he's all sparkles and looks, nothing more. and yes, i agree about the "women only being good for babies" thing. just read breaking dawn; leah said once or twice that she is a "useless, genetic dead end". no kidding! i don't have the book handy right now, but i'll try to find the quote later.

"Actually, ordinary people have thoughts, interests, and feelings. All of which bella lacks.

I also look at the book from a writer perspective. And she's not ordinary, she's a cardboard cut Mary Sue"

this. bella has no feelings. remember in the first book when she was nearly gang raped? she didn't worry about that one bit because sparklepire edward had to come in and dazzle her. how come she didn't go in to shock? she's just not normal. and yes, i agree that she is not "an ordinary girl", she's just a mary sue. bella tries to make the reader think that she's liek sooo ugleh, but we know that's not the case. every boy in the darn school is in love with her. also, don't forget that ordinary people have flaws - even brad pitt and megan fox do! but bella has none whatsoever. she's a self-insert. a 110-pound, younger version of stephenie meyer.

I'm looking at the book as a... Well... You could practically say writer...

She's a Mary Sue. That's a writer term.

She's ordinary, but she has the "perfect" fantasy life of a teenager, and every step of the way she always has something to complain about. She's even freakin' humble! Her only flaw is her clumsiness, which only serves as plot device to Edward uber protective of her and giving her a buncha gifts.

You're not looking at the thing like a writer. You're looking at the "book" as a publisher who thinks she can make thousands off of rabid, airheaded fangirls.

Thank you for pointing out yet again that I wasn't born in the USA or in the UK...

I don't know the terms, okay? I write some stories in English, but I just don't know the terms!!! And thank you, you have made your point clear through all of the topics concerning Twilight and the ones who read it, have read it or want to read it, that you hate the series and the fangirls. Just please don't put down the people who have neutral feelings against the book. Yes, it is there in my bookshelf, in English. And I'm no going to either burn it or sleep with it!

Thank you for pointing out yet again that I wasn't born in the USA or in the UK...

I don't know the terms, okay? I write some stories in English, but I just don't know the terms!!! And thank you, you have made your point clear through all of the topics concerning Twilight and the ones who read it, have read it or want to read it, that you hate the series and the fangirls. Just please don't put down the people who have neutral feelings against the book. Yes, it is there in my bookshelf, in English. And I'm no going to either burn it or sleep with it!

I was born in Taiwan.

And okay, I understand your feelings, it's just that you're using the wrong words to describe your feelings.

OK, What I wanna know is how they get off with calling Twilight a "Saga". That's what I've Been Hearing it called lately, and not a series.

WTF? This is not a saga! STAR WARS is a Saga! The Lord of the Rings is a SAGA. Heck, You could probablly even call Harry Potter a saga, well, before you could call Twilight a "saga"....

BTW, Twilight sucks. tongue.gif

Hangingfire of livejournal brought up a good point- what is possibly the creepiest allusion ever

You know Quil and Claire- the adult-werewolf imprinted on a two year old girl? Eventually he's going to switch from daddy mode to stalker boyfriend mode?

The book Lolita (1955) is about a child prostitute named Lolita. She is pursued by a pedophilic ****ographer named Clare Quilty.

Clare Quilty, Claire and Quil... That's a bit too much of a coincidence for me.

What that means is that Meyer had to have known that the relationship was pedophilic-bordering-on-incestuous in nature, otherwise she wouldn't have made the connection. In both stories, there is a father figure who is infatuated with their adoptive daughter. Clare Quilty himself isn't the father figure, but another pedophile who kidnaps Lolita to get her to do a **** film for him.

However, instead of saying, "You know, I probably shouldn't be glorifying pedophilia within adoptive families," she said, "Ooh, I can make an allusion here!"

EDIT: I forgot that the censor bleeps out that word. Well, you can probably guess what it is anyway

Edited by zoreta

^ Quil wasn't an adult, he's about Jacob's age. I think her intention wasn't a father figure, more a bestest-babysitter-EVAR guy that Claire would always luff forever and EVAR.

Plus, I've never read nor heard of that book, and considering what you say is the theme, would Meyer read it? blink.gif I recall someone ranting somewhere about her lack of educational reading, but that might have been Dr. Paine on her lack of research. Idk, lol.

Isn't Quil supposed to be ~16? The werewolves stay forever young, so I'm guessing that that's his 'forever age' and that he would at that point be considered an adult. The whole imprint thing is supposed to change for point in life- start off father, then baby sitter, then best friend, then love interest. Quil is "more jazzed up about playing with the kids than any parent" (I'm paraphrasing), which I would count as a father figure.

She didn't research at all- and it wasn't general things, either. She took the myths of the Quileut tribe (whom Jacob is supposed to be a part of) and twisted them to fit her own agenda- never even talked to a member of the tribe to get the core aspects of the myth. Basically, she wikied them, and that was the total of her research. She probably saw the movie Lolita (which was much less dark than the book) and disregarded the themes.

Her themes are at the surface about reserving oneself for marriage, but deeper are about how how women should do as 'their man' tells them and never question them, and how women are pointless without babies (there is one vampire who hates Bella purely because Bella can have children and she can't, and all of the female vamps try to talk Bella out of turning in to a vampire because then she can't have children. Eventually, she finds a loophole because she can get pregnant from Edward as a human, but turns in to a vamp afterward).

Meyer talks about free choice, but ultimately, the only ones who have any choice are the vamps. Bella gets no choice in Edward and Jacob obsessing over her, Jacob tries to force himself on to Bella and Bella doesn't fight, the werewolves get no say in who they fall in love with (look up 'imprinting'), Renesmee is nearly forced to fall in love with Jacob, etc.

The imprinting thing still makes me want to puke dry.gif

I know, I've read all four books twice through and the earlier linked parody on LJ.

IF she even wiki'd them, lol.

Yes, Rose was whiny about not having a baby, but not all the girls were like that. Alice (who seems to be the one vampire that is maybe kinda sorta liked?) didn't care, Victoria we all KNOW is not a maternal sort ( laugh.gif ), Sue was defined by more than her kids, Leah was more upset (used lightly) about having to deal with Sam/Emily and being the only female wolf ever and being all left out because it was a cycle of she's upset -> ignore her -> gets more upset that nobody's listening to her real needs.

Esme maybe. But she's not agnsting about never being able to have kids again. It's mentioned maybe twice that she's inwardly sad but accepting about it and how she was "adopted" by Carlisle. Bella definitely did not want to be a mother until she was bumpin'. And even then, Edward's second reaction was for that thing to GTFO NAO.

And of course Meyer writes in the loophole, after coming THAT far, what does one expect? Even WITH all the fan rage about her earlier statements concerning their anatomy and inability to reproduce.

And I don't think anybody has free choice in the books. If you read Midnight Sun, Edward's completely torn apart over his obsessive love for her, and Alice and he go back and forth and back and forth over 'She's gonna be a vampire, no I'm gonna leave, no I'm gonna make her stay mortal and die and then go off myself, no I love her too much' for AGES. Edward is obsessed, Alice follows her visions no matter what, Jasper follows Alice, Carlisle and Esme follow along out of love and compassion, Emmet agrees because he thinks it's funny and to not start a fight in the family but to kick some ace at anyone else, Rose only ever does anything because everyone else is already decided, the wolves imprint, Renesmee totally and completely captivates everyone with her childness and everyone wants to protect her automatically upon meeting her. But mostly Jacob because of course he imprinted on her and that's why he couldn't stay away from preggo Bella and why he loved her in the first place and blah blah.

Frankly, I think Bella SHOULD have gotten the baseball bat/crowbar to hit Jacob when he kissed her instead of trying to punch him, Charlie be darned. xd.png

I love the Twilight series. I don't know if it's because I haven't read a book (of my own choice) in a really long time, but the whole vampire thing is very original. I'm tired of seeing the same vampire ****. I didn't think Bella was -whiny- at all through New Moon. She was depressed because Edward left. She tried to keep him OUT of her thoughts. I don't see what's whiny about that.

I'm about halfway through Book Two: Jacob in Breaking Dawn. Even though I accidently stumbled upon spoilers before even finishing New Moon, I was still surprised by a few things.

I understand why people don't like the series, but to me...those aspects seem necessary to me -shrug-

A plot seems unnecessary? The books are fluff.

Come on- she broke up with her boyfriend and it takes longer for her to get over it than the time they were together.

Also, Meyer sucks at biology. When she was trying to explain the vampire anatomy, you know what she described? REPTILES. Small hard shiny skin covering (hello, scales?), cold blooded, venomous predators. I would have preferred it if she kept the bad scifi out of the trashy fantasy.

Frankly, reading tis thread is really amusing! biggrin.gif

You're right about the fluff, I reread only those parts.

Actually, I enjoy reading twilight fanfiction more than Twilight itself.

If I wasn't so busy with my own projects, I really, REALLY would rewrite that book making Bella a werewolf >XD.

Anyways, I didn't know about that book, but the data is very interesting.

I remember, when I first read Twilight, I got it from the library. I hadn't heard a thing about it, and it wasn't even famous.

As I was going through the pages, I was kind of annoyed at the constant allusion to Edward's perfection, but really didn't give it much though.

I read the second, and while Bella and her absurd depression irked me, I was amused at Jacob's character. Actually, the only reason I read the following books was to see whether Jacob got the girl at the end.

However, Eclipse was BAD.

But Breaking Dawn was utterly disgusting!

I mean, I'm writing about terrorism, nazism, and bolchevism... but what that women expressed is just delictive.

I'm talking about all pedophile allusions.

I touch sexism in my books too, as I write from a medieval perspective, where women (and most humans) had no rights. But the women in my books, while not mary sues, are normal people.

But what I find worse is, aside from pedophile, is how she portrays an abusive relationship as "true love!"

That's what she's showing to all those twittard fans, that abusive relationships are fantastic!

I've been in an abusive relationship. I was lucky to get out... and it's NOT nice.

OK, What I wanna know is how they get off with calling Twilight a "Saga". That's what I've Been Hearing it called lately, and not a series.

WTF? This is not a saga! STAR WARS is a Saga! The Lord of the Rings is a SAGA. Heck, You could probablly even call Harry Potter a saga, well, before you could call Twilight a "saga"....

Since English is not my native language, what exactly is a saga? And what's the difference from a series? I did try researching it, but the info I got somehow confused me further.

However, Eclipse was BAD.

But Breaking Dawn was utterly disgusting!

Actually I think Eclipse was my favorite book out of all of them. I agree with you about Breaking Dawn though. I hated it and I just wished they ended at Eclipse. It would've been for all the best. rolleyes.gif