Zero_Photofox

Scroll Descriptions

As I said here or somewhere - TJ is legally responsible for what is posted on this site and on the cave. If obscenities posted are seen by the Net Police before they are removed - it could get the whole place shut down.

Yes, but are the legal implication any different for using dragons' names to spell out a message, as people are already doing? If not, then by the same reasoning we should also put names up for review before they go through. And forum posts and PMs. My point is that you just can't control everything.

Aside from that, there's also the practical use of scroll descriptions. If we subject them to approval, we could only use them for generic messages ('My name is soandso. Contact me by thisname on the forum. Please don't help my eggs and hatchies'). But, judging by the time it takes to approve dragon descriptions, anything specific would be already obsolete when it goes through ('Currently breeding Metallics on request / No longer breeding Metallics since they've all joined the nunnery'); we'd be better of sticking with the method of using dragons' names.

Yes, but are the legal implication any different for using dragons' names to spell out a message, as people are already doing? If not, then by the same reasoning we should also put names up for review before they go through. And forum posts and PMs.

True....

Though forum posts are at least not in such a public area - and PMs are private and cannot be seen by just anyone.

But I have seen some foul descriptions when I have been reviewing; that was what flagged this up for me. I've only seen a couple of names that bad - and scrolls get burned for those.

But I have seen some foul descriptions when I have been reviewing; that was what flagged this up for me. I've only seen a couple of names that bad - and scrolls get burned for those.

If we don't trust people to behave without a 'stick', perhaps we should do the same for scroll (and dragon) descriptions? Maybe TJ can code it so descriptions can be turned on/off by him - the default would be on, but if someone abuses the system, he can turn it off for that scroll; revoking their rights to have a personal description, as it were. If the description was really foul they could be further penalized by the loss of dragons or even the burning of their scroll.

Yes, but are the legal implication any different for using dragons' names to spell out a message, as people are already doing? If not, then by the same reasoning we should also put names up for review before they go through. And forum posts and PMs. My point is that you just can't control everything.

Aside from that, there's also the practical use of scroll descriptions. If we subject them to approval, we could only use them for generic messages ('My name is soandso. Contact me by thisname on the forum. Please don't help my eggs and hatchies'). But, judging by the time it takes to approve dragon descriptions, anything specific would be already obsolete when it goes through ('Currently breeding Metallics on request / No longer breeding Metallics since they've all joined the nunnery'); we'd be better of sticking with the method of using dragons' names.

I think there's a difference between scroll descriptions and people linking their forum accounts to their scroll accounts (which there is a separate suggestion for that should have been recently bumped). Scroll descriptions would be things like people describing their cave hierarchy system, the scroll history, etc. ^^

Trade and breeding stuff can stay in names, forum signatures, and in trade posts, IMO.

Cool idea as it could be useful for both trading/breeding and Role-Playing Purposes, but of course its hard enough to get a dragon description approved due to the fact that the mods have a hard enough time critiquing and passing/failing dragon descriptions, so scrolls could be even more of a problem, before such a feature were to be implemented there would need to be some sort of user-critique system that maybe could bypass the need for mod approval, which is almost impossible to do, so either more mods would need to dedicate time to approving descriptions of dragons and scrolls, which isn't really possible since they are swamped already, or more moderators would need to be added

I sometimes describe my dragons just for the sake of describing my cave! and later on I have 2 pinks sharing the same description or a need for 3 trio couples(1 per breed which makes 6 dragons in total) sharing a description. Because scroll description is still not introduced...

I'm kinda shocked it's still not in the game...

This sounds like a wonderful idea. I'd love to be able to describe my actual scroll, and flesh out what's mentioned in my dragons' descriptions. I definitely think I'd need more than the 1,000 character limit given for dragons, however. Maybe 2,000, at the least.