Zero_Photofox

Scroll Descriptions

Gaaaah, I knew there had to be something like this!  DX

Well, I'm glad to see a lot of people like the idea, anyway.  Even if I'm not the first one to think of it!

In the absence of the feature at the moment, you could always name the first dragon on your scroll "Welcome to Grahamkeep."

It sounds like a good idea, though I don't really have anything I'd put.

Edited by Lagie

Scroll Descriptions could work like dragon descriptions. They'd all need a moderator. Of course, this might cause work to pile up, so another idea is that you can give descriptions to your individual dragon or just a scroll-wide description and lose the individual description option. Just a thought. Links to dragons could possibly be allowed.

A possible example:

The Nightlasher clan is a group of dragons that have been adopted, stolen, or bred by [insert certain normal name sounding name here]. Unlike many other clans, the Nightlasher clan doesn't care a thing about lineages, with many dragons being from the Abandoned Pile. The Nightlasher clan also uses a naming system involving a nickname for a dragon followed by a numerical species designation used for all dragons of that species (and a negative sign in front of the number if that dragon has become undead).

Edited by Nightlasher

Could you please add exactly what you're suggesting? Right now you only have how it could work.

Could you please add exactly what you're suggesting? Right now you only have how it could work.

don't see how it could be simpler. You can create scroll-wide descriptions that appear on your scroll/list of dragons and all dragons.

It'd just be a description for your scroll that appears at the top of one's scroll for everyone to see, no?

I'd be fine with this, as long as they're mod-approved and have to follow the same general rules as dragon descriptions (no naughtiness, no links, etc). Also there's no reason to force people to choose between a scroll description or dragon descriptions, you could only have ONE scroll description, after all, so it's not too much extra work for the mods. wink.gif

I think that this would be a good idea; of course, we'll have to have a group of mods approving those scroll descriptions.

I approve of this. I want to be able to give a description of the Herachus Clan.

I'm assuming it'd appear at the top of the list of dragons? And everything else ADP said :3

Yeah it'd probably be at the top of the scroll (though that of course is up to TJ and whoever else does the coding). I guess you're right, dragons could have individual descriptions as well. The scroll-wide description could also appear on each dragon's page above their description maybe.

I think this is a brilliant idea and one I would definitely enjoy, I think I would love to write a little message about my scroll at the top...

Perhaps it could also be the place where users could identify their forum accounts. C:

However, I can see the slight problem of people changing it every day and overloading mods, so perhaps there should be a limit to changing it only... once a month or once a fortnight? smile.gif

I personally love this idea. I don't describe my dragons but I definitely would describe my scroll.

I think this is a brilliant idea and one I would definitely enjoy, I think I would love to write a little message about my scroll at the top...

Perhaps it could also be the place where users could identify their forum accounts. C:

However, I can see the slight problem of people changing it every day and overloading mods, so perhaps there should be a limit to changing it only... once a month or once a fortnight? smile.gif

Yay! Finally someone else who uses the word fortnight (older english ftw!)! tongue.gif

Anyway yeah, probably it could only be changed every now and then.

I think that this would be a good idea; of course, we'll have to have a group of mods approving those scroll descriptions.

No we won't, the mods that we already have would do it.

Why does everyone want special mods for stuff? ._.

Because the mods have a crap-load to do already, and, as evidenced by the dragon-description backlog, sometimes get overwhelmed. Suggesting things that require modding means even *more* on their backs, when they already have tons of stuff to do.

As for the suggestion, I'd rather have a general text-only space at the top of my scroll. In the past many people have mentioned wanting a way to indicate, on their scroll, if they breed for other people, what their forum name is, etc. Instead of something *just* to describe your scroll (as a "clan" or whatever), I would prefer if we could also mention the scroll owner's preferences.

I probably wouldn't create a scroll wide description, but I really like this idea.

There are so many patterns that I sometimes see when I'm looking at random scrolls, and I can imagine that a lot of players would love to be able to do this.

I'd use it to say "I'm an experienced player, please don't "help" my dragons". xP

Amen, PF13.

That said, I still support the idea, as I think it could be a cool way to explain breed preferences, the 'story' of your scroll, etc. Of course, my spitfires would use it as a billboard. xd.png

glad to see everyone likes it. I don't think it should be used for saying forum names, I think that should be a separate field entirely.

glad to see everyone likes it. I don't think it should be used for saying forum names, I think that should be a separate field entirely.

If it happens - surely you can just choose whether your put your forum name in there or not ? No need for a separate field. I know I would NOT put my forum name on my scroll - anywhere !

If you go with that logic, we'd have to also have a separate field for breeding preferences (ie, "don't contact me about breeding for you" or whatever), and another separate field for more specific "aid" notices (I know how to raise my dragons, do NOT help me!), etc etc etc.

I don't see any reason why we can't have a simple text field that can be used for whatever the scroll-owner decides to use it for (within the rules).

I'd love to have something like this. But please with a bigger limit than normal dragon description - maybe twice their size?

I'd really like to be able to give some history to my dragon "clan", for lack of better word, and also tell people not to mess with my dragons, to contact me on the forums for breeding requests etc.

If you go with that logic, we'd have to also have a separate field for breeding preferences (ie, "don't contact me about breeding for you" or whatever), and another separate field for more specific "aid" notices (I know how to raise my dragons, do NOT help me!), etc etc etc.

I don't see any reason why we can't have a simple text field that can be used for whatever the scroll-owner decides to use it for (within the rules).

i suppose so. But really it's up to TJ, so we'll see.

I like this idea a lot. I don't think the scroll descriptions need to be reviewed by moderators though; right now there are players using the top dragons on their scroll to 'spell out' a message - these are not reviewed and DragonCave does not descend into anarchy because of it. Having scroll descriptions subject to approval, therefore, seems overly micromanaging to me. If someone has a lewd or offensive text I'm sure it'll be reported, just like lewd and offensive names are now - no need to screen them all in advance.

Rather than having mods review scroll descriptions, maybe it would be better to simply be able to report inappropriate descriptions you see on scrolls? That way we can filter out the odd inappropriate description without the mods having to trawl through all the fine ones?

I haven't read the whole thread, this might have been suggested before?

Rather than having mods review scroll descriptions, maybe it would be better to simply be able to report inappropriate descriptions you see on scrolls? That way we can filter out the odd inappropriate description without the mods having to trawl through all the fine ones?

I haven't read the whole thread, this might have been suggested before?

As I said here or somewhere - TJ is legally responsible for what is posted on this site and on the cave. If obscenities posted are seen by the Net Police before they are removed - it could get the whole place shut down.

Not good. I would rather see them have to be approved before going up there. Now we could have a separate group of approvers for them, maybe, who were ONLY there to weed out the unprintable....

As I said here or somewhere - TJ is legally responsible for what is posted on this site and on the cave. If obscenities posted are seen by the Net Police before they are removed - it could get the whole place shut down.

Not good. I would rather see them have to be approved before going up there. Now we could have a separate group of approvers for them, maybe, who were ONLY there to weed out the unprintable....

I guess you're right, I hadn't thought of that problem. That's the big problem with this whole idea then really, it would take a lot more of mods time to approve all descriptions. And then we couldn't change the descriptions very quickly either. I guess some people would have liked to put trades or whatever in them, which would not be possible if it takes so long for them to be approved, like descriptions do now.