Zero_Photofox

Scroll Descriptions

I love the idea, but I wouldn't like pre-typed messages. :/

Isn't the whole point of this to allow for some more creativity?

I think we should allow both.

I would be right into being creative, and making personalized descriptions. But, like the dragon description process, it would need to be moderated, to avoid spamming and to keep up the writing level.

So, I think also having a selection of generic ones you could choose would have lots of benefits:

1) Impatient people could have a message up immediatedly.

2) It would give moderators less work to do.

3) It would be useful if someone needed a practicle message up right a way ( I think some practicle ones should be included, not just RP like ones. Maybe like 'Do not help the dragons- neglected experiments are being conducted).

I think it's a great Idea.

The descriptions should have a size limit (100 characters, perhaps).

I think 100 characters are far too little for a proper scroll description... A 100-word text can have over 500 characters and I think we should at least be able to write 100 words...

So maybe 1000 characters?

By the way, I'd really love to have this feature ^^

This is an excellent idea! ^^ I'd love to have a description of my own cave!

As DoogieRace wrote, 100 characters is really restricting. Come on, even Twitter allows 150 chars per message ohmy.gif

While I agree 100 characters is too small, it shouldn't be more then an introduction to your scroll - you're not writing a book here.

I was thinking 1-2 sentence descriptions. Those are generally less than 100 characters, unless you use run-on sentences.

= 120 characters.

A limit of 100 characters makes for a pair of seriously short sentences. Run-ons aren't even needed to max that out. 500 characters could work, though. 1,000 seems like it would be a bit high for just a short intro, but if the idea is to describe the scroll a bit, much like with the dragons, then 1,000 is probably fine.

I would love to have scroll descriptions! ohmy.gif

It WOULD be the perfect place to put usernames for the forums. I want people to be able to contact me if they saw my scroll and wanted to trade or something...

yes I like this Idea

is useful it's practical it adds imagination to each scroll.

I would be suprised is this did not get implemented eventually: we have descriptions for our individual dragons why not the whole collection of dragons

Only 100 characters? Our dragon descriptions are longer than that! If there were a length limit, it should be at least a short paragraph. No one wants to read a novel about someone else's scroll I'm sure, but a short paragraph long blurb would be fine!

I'd be willing to read and mod some of them tongue.gif

= 120 characters.

A limit of 100 characters makes for a pair of seriously short sentences. Run-ons aren't even needed to max that out. 500 characters could work, though. 1,000 seems like it would be a bit high for just a short intro, but if the idea is to describe the scroll a bit, much like with the dragons, then 1,000 is probably fine.

TJ himself said once only a tiny fraction- like less than 3%?- do hit the 1,000 limit, most are somewhere within 200-500. So if we get the option of a thousand for normal descriptions and so few use it, I don't see why there shouldn't be the 1,000 limit for scrolls. Not many would use them, but it's nice to those who are good at writing and end up at that.

Guess I'll go ahead and bump this up after over a year of inactivity.

I support this fully. We need this implemented.

Nice idea. I support it. *loves writing stuff*

I think a place for informations would be nice. Like what lineages you are working on, and flavor text to tell everyone what you imagine your place to look like.

But I think this should be 1000 characters, not shorter like what other users have suggested previously. I hit between 750-998 characters on all of my dragon descriptions, so I use a LOT of space. I'd want this to be an into to my own personal dragon world.

I support this idea. Writing descriptions for my dragons is one of my favorite things, and I also agree with the longer character count.

I think that it might be good to have a short description (of say, 150 characters), and then maybe a longer description in addition? That way it wouldn't crowd the top of the scroll too badly, and yet you could do a full description of your scroll as well.

"Welcome to the home of the clan of DragonClan, be welcome in their lands"

-> click to read? I'm not sure of a good UI paradigm.

"The clan of DragonClan is simultaneously action-play exciting and mind-numbingly placid. Any dragon can fit in DragonClan, except for the ones who do not. Their lands are the most wide open fields, and the most claustrophobic of plateaus. Their mountain ranges are the tallest in the world, and their hills are the shortest. DragonClan's leader, Dragon, is rigidly dictatorial, but he listens patiently and wisely to the counsel of his clanmembers, and always takes their advice when making decisions that will affect the clan as a whole."

I agree with this thread. <3

Edit:

Have a character-limit header for people to customize that will appear on the tops of their scroll when people view it, such as under the "You pick up a scroll labeled "so-and-so"...etc. This will allow people to put a little greeting on their scroll for visitors, or perhaps leave a note about their forum name if it's different than their scroll name, or about special conditions about their dragons. Or even just a creative RP introduction for the scroll dragons.

I'm thinking in order to prevent bad language from showing up, having a block on certain words so that the description either can't be posted, or that the words will be black/omitted. There might also be a report button for those that try to evade the censors, and then the description will be taken off the scroll.

(Originally I had made my own thread without realizing one already existed |D)

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Fffffff, thanks sock/ruby. D| I didn't see this other thread before I made mine. /facedesk

I really do like this idea. After constantly joking around on the IRC with Fush and Infinis on what their caves look like due to their armies, I'm actually glad this came up. After all Infinis' cave would blind the heck out of anyone, and Fush's cave would be covered in shed fur.

I wonder what kind of description my cave would have, even more curious as to what to describe my scroll.

As for the character limit, it really wouldn't be fair if it were 100. I'm not the grandest of writers, but I would like to do something both creative and practical for the description. At most I think that as an average for myself I use 600+ characters. But I usually don't type anything very lengthy or to some extent I short-wind someone. 1000 characters seems fair. but would it be too much...?

Edited by Tsukoyami