Nurvingiel

ANSWERED:Suggestion: Fix the description of Purple dragons

Remember when Bright Pinks were basically replaced by Pinks as the pink dragon? Check out the improved description that went along with them:

The description for Bright Pink dragons:

"Bright pink dragons are one of the few all-female breeds of dragons. Their bright colors make them easy to spot during dragon mating season. They are primarily herbivores, but eat meat during mating season when it is brought to them by a mate. Mating seasons occur once every 200 years and can last up to 2 years."

The description for Pink dragons:

"Pink dragons are primarily herbivores and only eat meat during the mating season, when mates will exchange kills. When it is not breeding season, pink dragons spend most of their time incubating eggs and caring for their clan's young. Due to their feminine color, it was traditionally thought that pink dragons were a strictly female breed, but this is not true."

Now, Purple dragons have the exact same description of Bright Pink dragons. How about we give it an egalitarian update like the Pinks got, and get rid of the silly idea that there would ever be a female dragon out there that only eats meat when her mate brings it to her? This is a very un-dragonlike idea.

I think dragons are more like lions or bears and less like... I can't think of a lame animal that can't get it's own damn food, but you get the idea.

(My big problem is that all-female breeds got insulting, lame descriptions. I wouldn't mind seeing the description Bright Pinks fixed retroactively as well, but I think it's more important to fix the dragon that still breeds actively: the Purples.)

Edited to remove "Even though it's not genetically possible to have an all-female breed" because that is simply not true.

Edited by Nurvingiel

(Even though it's not genetically possible to have an all-female breed, my big problem is that all-female breeds got insulting, lame descriptions. I wouldn't mind seeing the description Bright Pinks fixed retroactively as well, but I think it's more important to fix the dragon that still breeds actively: the Purples.)

Have you looked as some species of frogs that are and can be all one gender until one physically changes it's gender for a period of time?

This is a very un-dragonlike idea

in your opinion.

I think dragons are more like lions or bears and less like.

once again, in your opinion.

Your problem, is you keep saying "I think". Dovealove made both of those dragons. If she wanted to, she could make them jump off of cliffs and kill themselves. That is the joy of fantasy art. She made them, so she can do what she wants.

I think that the purple description being called "lame" is purely a subjective experience. How does changing the description really help the site at all is what I'm wondering?

I mean, I've never heard anyone else complain about the descriptions before and the old pinks and purples have been around for a very long time - unless I missed a discussion about it earlier or something.

I'm not saying your suggestion is wrong, just wondering how it would improve the site?

Re: all the all-female breeds/species. That is awesome. I will edit the original post to remove my incorrect assertion.

Re: it's my opinion. Of course it is! What else would it be? That's what the "suggestions" forum is: making suggestions because we have an opinion about what would make Dragon Cave better. Aside from this one hangup, I love the Purples and Bright Pinks. So I do have opinions about Dovealove's dragons.

Of course, if I didn't like the dragons, I would bother suggesting an improvement, I'd just release them. (Even super fun Dragon Cave does have room for improvement.)

Re: Am I a feminist? Yes Superion, I am a feminist. Are you suggesting by asking this that you do not believe in equality between men and women? Because that's what feminism is: it's about equality.

I very much believe in equality. I'll temporarily derail this thread to tell you how much I hate advertisements that portray men as bumbling, useless man-beasts. This is a trend I've noticed in North American advertising anyway, and it sucks. Just an example of things I don't like because they imply one gender is inferior to the other. (It also comes up in movies. Needs to stop.)

I was wrong about the all-female species thing, but I still think the Purple description should be updated a-la pinks. (Am I right to say that Dovealove made Bright Pinks, which did get "updated" into the pinks, why not the Purples?)

it's my opinion. Of course it is!

And I'm saying that your opinion is not worth as much as dovealoves. If she wanted them to eat that way, she had a reason for it.

Because she has plans for the purples as well.

And I don't think it's particularly insulting, really. Like your comparison to lions back there- if dragons operated that way, I think it would be more insulting. Males get first crack at everything, then females and cubs. I think it's actually less insulting for a female to be the one being given the meat first.

-shrug-

Or really, it just doesn't matter.

And I'm saying that your opinion is not worth as much as dovealoves. If she wanted them to eat that way, she had a reason for it.

Well, that is true. I just thought it was obvious and people would take that into account.

Maybe lions was a bad example, but bears is an okay example. Or forget animals all together - dragons are dragons, but it just seems so dumb to me that the females never eat meat until their men bring it to them.

I didn't know there were plans for the Purples. That is exciting.

Well, that is true. I just thought it was obvious and people would take that into account.

Maybe lions was a bad example, but bears is an okay example. Or forget animals all together - dragons are dragons, but it just seems so dumb to me that the females never eat meat until their men bring it to them.

I didn't know there were plans for the Purples. That is exciting.

Yep.

You have to remember, a lot of the old dragons were /extremely/ rushed, so the creators never had a chance to do what they ultimately wanted for some time. So just kick back and relax a bit while we wait.

Yep.

You have to remember, a lot of the old dragons were /extremely/ rushed, so the creators never had a chance to do what they ultimately wanted for some time. So just kick back and relax a bit while we wait.

Maybe I will then. smile.gif

I might even pick up Purple eggs again after the change, as I got all excited about the new Pinks when they came out (to keep my two Bright Pinks company).

i do think that it doesn't seem right that it just has males get its food, but , its doves desicion. i wish brights didn't retire. i loved them sad.gif at least i have one

Re: Am I a feminist? Yes Superion, I am a feminist. Are you suggesting by asking this that you do not believe in equality between men and women? Because that's what feminism is: it's about equality.

Strictly speaking, I do not believe in equality between the two genders. This is due to the fact that we are different - if there was true equality, both of the sexes would be called the same. Women can give birth to child, men can never do that - in that way, females are standing over us, who can only give aid to this process, but we can never actually share the "burden". On the other hand, men are generally (note that I am not saying always, only generally, or to put it otherwise: classically) stronger, so they can protect women - or like in the oooold times, they can provide them meat. I'm sure you know it, but women didn't hunt back then. (If you didn't notice this yet, I am an evolutionist, so I'm kinda old-fashioned sometimes.)

In my ideal world, I have a job that pays enough so that my wife don't have to work if she doesn't want to - if she chooses housework and family (and kids) over career - and we still can live by nicely. smile.gif This, by most feminists, is considered unequal treatment. Well, I don't know about whether they are right or not, but even if they are, I'm old fashioned enough to see the beauty of this "system", and also I am sure lots of girls feel the same.

But this was off-topic, let us continue this in private messages, if you intend to.

As for the topic: I've noticed this, and while my creative side says you are right and purple could at least have a bit modified description, this similarity could be justified if the two breeds were somehow related to each other.

Edited by Superion

I would like it if people would stop using my name as a proxy for their own arguments.

I agree with this thread, but not completely. They're gentle and quiet, but the description IS outdated.

There's an overhaul in store for purples, when it's implemented, the description will be changed among other things.

Redundant thread is redundant.

I would like it if people would stop using my name as a proxy for their own arguments.

I agree with this thread, but not completely. They're gentle and quiet, but the description IS outdated.

I apologize if I did this (edit: use your name as a proxy, I mean).

Can I take this chance to tell you the Bright Pink dragons are seriously rad looking?

(Sun Dragon Angel-A, someone told me that already, so redundant post is redundant. wink.gif)

I am excited about the Purple updates, I really like the Purples.

Edited by Nurvingiel

Wooo! I'm glad you're on the side of the OP, because like you guys I also think the description could use a bit of updating. I like the purple, but the egglaying species generally have females that are perfectly capable if not more capable than the males.

And I'm saying that your opinion is not worth as much as dovealoves.  If she wanted them to eat that way, she had a reason for it.

TJ wrote the descriptions for both the BPs and purples long before Dove made the sprites. They are prefog dragons; any change in their on-site descriptions is his call. The spriters may know more about each breed than the average user, but the prefogs (ie. everything before Skywings) have the special feature of belonging not only to the people who sprited them, but also TJ himself.

Edited by Lythiaren

Wow so it's wrong for a dragon to not be a flesh eating, maiden stealing, treasure hoarding beast of nightmares?

Which is basically the gist of what you're saying when well you are whining about a dragon species being A: all female when 'that is not possible', and infact it is, but you've already been shown that, and B: the females not eating meat until the males bring it to them.

Ever think that the kill exchange- or the male dragons bringing the Purples, their kills is infact a 'I AM STRONG LOOK LOOK I CAN TAKE CARE OF YOU CHOOSE MEEEE CHOOOOOSE MEEEEE' rationality to it?

Hell the purples might only need meat during mating season to help provide extra nutrients for their offspring; and the fact they probably wouldn't get enough calcium and iron and etc unless they supplement their diets with meat, as large herbivores have to eat -a lot- usually.

Their is also the fact it's not your sprite, it's not your site, you could have suggested it in a better fashion then 'hey, dudes, I think the purple dragon description is lame and QQ about some other stuff too'.

Mean you don't even give a suggestion -how- it could be better.

Edited by Spud

Wow so it's wrong for a dragon to not be a flesh eating, maiden stealing, treasure hoarding beast of nightmares?

Which is basically the gist of what you're saying when well you are whining about a dragon species being A: all female when 'that is not possible', and infact it is, but you've already been shown that, and B: the females not eating meat until the males bring it to them.

Ever think that the kill exchange- or the male dragons bringing the Purples, their kills is infact a 'I AM STRONG LOOK LOOK I CAN TAKE CARE OF YOU CHOOSE MEEEE CHOOOOOSE MEEEEE' rationality to it?

Hell the purples might only need meat during mating season to help provide extra nutrients for their offspring; and the fact they probably wouldn't get enough calcium and iron and etc unless they supplement their diets with meat, as large herbivores have to eat -a lot- usually.

Their is also the fact it's not your sprite, it's not your site, you could have suggested it in a better fashion then 'hey, dudes, I think the purple dragon description is lame and QQ about some other stuff too'.

Mean you don't even give a suggestion -how- it could be better.

'Cuse me, but as said before, the description is already set for some changes... This thread is really pointless, debate on the purple description is pointless; it will have to be changed in the purple dragon overhaul.

I agree with Spud here. Don't get me wrong - I generally shy away from dragons that are so KIND AND PURDY AND VOMITING RAINBOWS - not that the purples are those kinds of dragons, I'm just saying that I like large, impressive, treasure hoarding, flesh-eating, beasts that are known as dragons.

I think it might need an update, though. If a species is female-only, they should be pretty darn capable to survive on their own. A line about that in the description might be nice so that people would stop thinking they're an attack on women. =P I'm a feminist - I think people should be equal. But we're not. Women are generally more caring, and men are normally stronger. Not always, though. Just the way we were made, most of us. But I don't think we should really force that to an extreme.

Now, I'll get off of the feminism thing for this. Bottom line: I'm glad the descriptions will be changed, but a female-only race that judges males because they try to kill the best animal and bring her their meat... that's cool.

Descriptions are being changed, this is basically just a chat thread now. Unless we're talking about HOW it should be changed? huh.gif

Edited by Zovesta

Just a few words before this topic is closed : difference doesn't mean unequality. I think that all human beings are different from each other but they're all equal.

And I'm waiting impatiently for the Purple overhaul...

the problem is not that the content of the discribtion sounds stupid or whatsoever...

the problem is... that the describtion of the the purples and the bright pinks... are EXACTLY the same

and only differ in the dragon

"Bright pink dragons are one of the few all-female breeds of dragons. Their bright colors make them easy to spot during dragon mating season. They are primarily herbivores, but eat meat during mating season when it is brought to them by a mate. Mating seasons occur once every 200 years and can last up to 2 years."

"Purple dragons are one of the few all-female breeds of dragons. Their bright colors make them easy to spot during dragon mating season. They are primarily herbivores, but eat meat during mating season when it is brought to them by a mate. Mating seasons occur once every 200 years and can last up to 2 years."

Edited by AiKirikaX