Rorschach

Spay/nueter/sterilize

I would love a way to check the lineage from the breed page, and to me, that makes more sense from the rp/realistic aspect of the game. If you're orchestrating the breeding of your dragons, you would have lineage records on hand. As has been said before, I doubt dragons would appreciate us sterilizing them simply because we don't like their family tree. Animals, even intelligent ones, have a drive to procreate. That's why they agree, sometimes, to breed with the mates we chose. Taking that right away from a creature that will exist long after you're gone seems shortsighted, and just wrong. ....From the RP aspect.

Edited by Sir Barton

I would love a way to check the lineage from the breed page, and to me, that makes more sense from the rp/realistic aspect of the game. If you're orchestrating the breeding of your dragons, you would have lineage records on hand. As has been said before, I doubt dragons would appreciate us sterilizing them simply because we don't like their family tree. Animals, even intelligent ones, have a drive to procreate. That's why they agree, sometimes, to breed with the mates we chose. Taking that right away from a creature that will exist long after you're gone seems shortsighted, and just wrong. ....From the RP aspect.

Plus how intelligent dragons supposedly are. It just doesn't sit right with me, either.

Which is why I like 'isolation' rather than sterilization, but wold prefer a way to look at lineages from the breeding page.

Yeah, I agree with others when they say that they can'tsee dragons ALLOWING surgery on themselveslikethat( NEVERmind the fact that DC is supposed to be in medievaltimes).

I'd imagine something more like a magic spell cast on a dragon.

This would be ...I'd think...easier to do without the dragon noticing... and it could ALSO have the virtue of being reversible. Unsure of what anyone ELSE would think of this spin on it?

Thoughts?

BARRING that... I'd totally support the idea of making lineages easier to check from the breeding page. AS it is doing that to make SURE you are breeding the dragon you want can be a pain. Just saying.

Edited by Silverswift

There are perfectly natural ways to cause sterility to happen: eating certain plants, exposure to certain toxins, certain viruses.. chemicals. No, the animals would not be cool with us just deciding to neuter them (at least not the adults).

For the RP style players, there could be an option to "ask" the dragon repeatedly if it would be willing to be sterilized for the sake of preventing genetic issues. This would only work with adults (and I admit is a completely silly idea, but maybe would appease those who are uncomfortable "forcing" a decision on smart animals...)

In regards to seeing a lineage preview.. honestly, im happy if just hovering over the images would show even just 1-3 gens, not the full lineage. 3 gen is generally enough to get a feel for what you are working with.

I have a dragon sitting around that would allow the possibility of sterilizing hatchlings, which would allow for the "collection"of sterile (empty) eggs if they survive to adulthood (im actively trying to update those sprites to give them a better hope of release...). However, this wouldnt work on already existing adults. It could be adjusted, but it would have to be a really, really high death rate (because of how the mechanic i came up with works). With my mechanic, you would know which adults are sterile, only by looking at the /view page to find a specific message (so no obvious marking). Trading potentially sterile hatchys off would be rather difficult (they would be marked a certain way, and it would be painfully obvious that something was done to them). However, Im not going to trust that my dragon will ever be released, and am willing to share their mechanic with other breeds that feasibly carry the same types of traits as my evil little brats do.

Edited by Thuban

I'd rather use temporary infertility things than permanent sterility. I like Mistress of Whisper's suggestion on the former page.

Although to be honest it doesn't need to be all that fancy and explained; I mean, the way fertility works and how we convince our dragons to breed right now isn't elaborated on either. You could just have an account setting called manage breeding that allows you to check on / off which dragons appear on breeding lists. I think it'd also be nice if you had the option to either do the same on an individual dragon's page (where you have three options: turn on / off that dragon from appearing AND turn off individual dragons from appearing on their list), or even more simply, lineage links on the breeding page. Someone else posted that they don't necessarily breed to inbred dragons, but instead accidentally breed to a pretty but unintended dragon (like a nice checker instead of a matching 2g) and then keep doing so over and over because the dragon remains on the breeding list. I do this alllll the timeee and it's really annoying, since there's no way to move a dragon off the top of a breeding list once you breed with it once. Yah, you can push other dragons higher on the list, but it's still going to be next to them.

I'd rather use temporary infertility things than permanent sterility. I like Mistress of Whisper's suggestion on the former page.

Although to be honest it doesn't need to be all that fancy and explained; I mean, the way fertility works and how we convince our dragons to breed right now isn't elaborated on either. You could just have an account setting called manage breeding that allows you to check on / off which dragons appear on breeding lists. I think it'd also be nice if you had the option to either do the same on an individual dragon's page (where you have three options: turn on / off that dragon from appearing AND turn off individual dragons from appearing on their list), or even more simply, lineage links on the breeding page. Someone else posted that they don't necessarily breed to inbred dragons, but instead accidentally breed to a pretty but unintended dragon (like a nice checker instead of a matching 2g) and then keep doing so over and over because the dragon remains on the breeding list. I do this alllll the timeee and it's really annoying, since there's no way to move a dragon off the top of a breeding list once you breed with it once. Yah, you can push other dragons higher on the list, but it's still going to be next to them.

Exactly!

Some sort of draggie birth control!

I would like something like this.

I have a lot of dragons with messy lineages that I don't want to breed but also don't want to get rid of.

Whether it's permanent or temporary doesn't matter to me. I just want a way to remove them from the breeding list.

I tried suggesting this the otehr day, I am totally for this idea as it reduces the amount of misclicks and would lower the messy population as people could force messy bred dragons to stop breeding. AAt the moment I have a whole project of freezing dragons with messy lineages and calling them "Lost Hatchlings" in order to keep population down. I ave had my fair share of misclicks, this led to an entire week of waiting till I could breed a replacement because I'm ocd and only let my dragons have one mate most the time

One person's "messy" is another person's "best ever". Just saying.

One person's "messy" is another person's "best ever". Just saying.

THIS... is a valid point, actually.

Especially when it comes to hatchiesfor freezing. Sometimes a messy is exactly waht someone is looking for.

Well yeah. I am fond of him:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/oEKJj

Sure I froze him - for the sprite., But I also love him

http://dragcave.net/lineage/YG0fv

Who is in fact a 25th gen appallingly inbred tangle.

And her

http://dragcave.net/lineage/PhFNq

Let us not discriminate against these lovely things biggrin.gif

I think maybe I shall now breed them ALL.... xd.png

HA ! I have just bred something TRULY awesome for the AP. Watch for it, my friends. xd.png 27th gen, I believe....

Edited by fuzzbucket

I tried suggesting this the otehr day, I am totally for this idea as it reduces the amount of misclicks and would lower the messy population as people could force messy bred dragons to stop breeding.

I would speculate that this suggestion really wouldn't impact the 'messy' population all that much. People can only stop their own messies from breeding, which is going to cut down on accidental breedings when people click the wrong dragon because they've mistaken the lineage and didn't triple check it. I would say the majorities of messies bred are intentional. Either from people who haven't realized how picky we've gotten over lineages and are breeding their dragons simply to share these dragons that they love or people who genuinely like how messy lineages look and are breeding them for that purpose (+ possibly the occasional person who breeds messies to remind people they're just dragon pixels and there's nothing wrong with messy lineages). ^^

I would speculate that this suggestion really wouldn't impact the 'messy' population all that much. People can only stop their own messies from breeding, which is going to cut down on accidental breedings when people click the wrong dragon because they've mistaken the lineage and didn't triple check it. I would say the majorities of messies bred are intentional. Either from people who haven't realized how picky we've gotten over lineages and are breeding their dragons simply to share these dragons that they love or people who genuinely like how messy lineages look and are breeding them for that purpose (+ possibly the occasional person who breeds messies to remind people they're just dragon pixels and there's nothing wrong with messy lineages). ^^

I am not supporting it because of the messies population tho.

I'd be supporting it because MORE than once I bred my dragon to something I didn;t intend to. xd.png

Just saying. It'd be more my own breeding it would be intended to impact. NOT that I presume to speak for others on this matter, of course.

I would say the majorities of messies bred are intentional. Either from people who haven't realized how picky we've gotten over lineages and are breeding their dragons simply to share these dragons that they love or people who genuinely like how messy lineages look and are breeding them for that purpose (+ possibly the occasional person who breeds messies to remind people they're just dragon pixels and there's nothing wrong with messy lineages). ^^

Or, sometimes, they just plain Don't Care. I know that now and again I'll decide it's fun to just mass-breed my scroll and I won't be picky about mates. Sometimes some really lovely stuff gets to the AP, sometimes it's average, and sometimes it's "right out of the deepest nightmares of those who can't stand messy lineages".

Or if I'm just trying to get one breed for freezing, I won't care about the line and if I get the wrong egg or it genders wrong I'll toss it even if it's a messy or inbred. Somebody out there will enjoy it either as a frozen or an adult, or they'll enjoy it as part of their own "clean the genepool" project or whatever.

As for the suggestion itself, I'm down with an option to do this. Preferably one that's reversible, since things can change in how you play or what you value. I'd use it sometimes.

I guess it would be nice for those who want to prevent inbreeding, messy lineages etc

me? Well I don't care I'll breed my dragons whenever xd.png I tend to inbreed my own dragons as well but only if I can;t be bothered to get another one, a few of my pinks are inbred due to this

I'd like a way to remove certain dragons from appearing in breeding lists, but not necessarily sterilise them. A simple check box on the action page under breeding ("Disable breeding options for this dragon. It will no longer appear as a potential mate for other dragons") would suffice. It gets around most of the RP problems - like the whole would they actually let us do that to them - because it would be more akin to writing "DO NOT BREED" on the scroll than performing surgery and/or magic spells on the dragon. Also it is easily reversible by crossing out the note/unchecking the box!

I'd like a way to remove certain dragons from appearing in breeding lists, but not necessarily sterilise them. A simple check box on the action page under breeding ("Disable breeding options for this dragon. It will no longer appear as a potential mate for other dragons") would suffice. It gets around most of the RP problems - like the whole would they actually let us do that to them - because it would be more akin to writing "DO NOT BREED" on the scroll than performing surgery and/or magic spells on the dragon. Also it is easily reversible by crossing out the note/unchecking the box!

I like this best. And if we want to say the dragons have a choice in the matter... maybe the dragon could be choosing not to breed. Plenty of humans are celibate for periods of our lives, and dragons live so much longer than we do; I'm sure some of them would go years without worrying about having kids xd.png

Very good idea. There's just a subset of dragons I would normally breed so I would disable breeding for the others. But if, i.e. I decide to breed all my BSAs, would be convenient to re-enable, breed and disable again.

I actually came to the forum today JUST to see if there was any discussion about an option to sterilize certain dragons. I was thinking of a BSA, but I'd be happy with any option that would let us keep dragons off the breeding list.

I also really like the suggestion of being able to click on dragons in the breeding list to check their lineage. I got sick of named my dragons with lineage numbers to try to keep track, so I've mostly stopped naming them at all, other than caveborns.

Maybe this time something will finally be implemented? This thread seems to get bumped every 3 years or so. I'd hate to have to wait another 3 years to finally get this added.

I think that's an awesome idea.

I have a large number of messy-lineaged adults I have no plans to breed, making my Breeding list rather long.

Support! My current method is just to freeze any dragons I get that I'm not going to breed, maybe because they have a completed lineage, or I'm not going to continue it. But I'd like this.

So does anyone know what we need to do to get something like this added?

What's been done (creating a suggesting) is what can be done.