Rorschach

Spay/nueter/sterilize

I rather like this idea. I would diffidently use it, I never want to inbreed my dragons but I wouldn't mind getting an inbred gift. I just don't want to accidentally breed that inbred and make more inbreeds which might wind up in the AP. If I get an inbred I'll freeze it for that reason however, I would love to let it grow up and then spay/neuter it. That way the dragon is can be an adult and I can prevent possible mistakes.

I've seen a couple reoccurring problems this could bring and I'd like to address this.

1. This is a dragon; it would feel weird spaying/neutering a dragon.

We could perhaps use magic rather than surgery or a different method. I also think that a breeding list would be an alternative but I'd rather have fixing a dragon.

2. These dragons are intelligent creatures; they wouldn't let us do this.

Well, they might or might not. We already steal their young, have the power to keep them from growing up (freezing), force some dragons to perform an action on a specific dragon at a specific time (BSA), turn their young into vampires, and even kill them. The power of fixing them seems to be within our range of abilities however, as a compromise it could have a fail rate if it's done by magic.

3. What if I misclick on a dragon I want to keep available?

You could also misclick the kill action and kill the dragon (even worse) but it is something to address. You do have the same risk of misclicking for every single action you do. I recommend choosing the setting where you have to put in your password to do an action for this issue. (It has saved me so many times.)

4. What if I want my dragon's ability back?

If we go with the permant option it would very similar to the freezing action. If you regret freezing your dragon there is nothing you can do. The same goes for killing, biting, earthquakes, releasing, and abandoning dragons. But this is a good point. Perhaps we could provide a tempary fix and a permanent fix such as pills and operations or two different spells.

5. Coding?

I'm pretty sure TJ could put this in easily but if he can't then it won't work. It doesn't seem very difficult to me. (The again, what do I know xd.png.)

I also think this won't alter anybodies play style in a negative way. Nobody has to use this action if they don't want to and those who do get a new way to control inbreeds on their scroll. One more thing is that if a dragon is fixed then it would still be counted in ratios.

I'd rather there be a check/uncheck option, spaying/neutering just seems sorta... y'know.... weird? I mean it's a dragon. I dunno. Plus if there was a check/uncheck, it could be better because it's removable.

How about more organization options for the breeding page? I mean, it doesn't have to be complicated.

The best way to do it is have a non-permanent option to remove a dragon from others' breeding lists. It can be permanent if you want, but if you want to breed it later you have the option of adding it back.

Please for the love of DC I want this. I can't tell you how many times I've misclicked on dragons while breeding... :S

Perhaps in the future have dragons sort by generation, and have them labeled. If AoND can detect lineage #s, so can DC.

Breeding is currently very messy and clunky.

All I have to say is WOW. My breeding list comes up in the same order of my scroll, which is very organized so I know who is who and what is what. Furthermore, I breed most of mine to the same mate, which will always come up on the top of the breeding list, so no worries. As a matter of fact it was changed so that any previous dragon you mated it with would be at the top of the list. After that the order is simply the same order as your scroll, so if you want it organized differently, just go for it!

All I have to say is WOW. My breeding list comes up in the same order of my scroll, which is very organized so I know who is who and what is what. Furthermore, I breed most of mine to the same mate, which will always come up on the top of the breeding list, so no worries. As a matter of fact it was changed so that any previous dragon you mated it with would be at the top of the list. After that the order is simply the same order as your scroll, so if you want it organized differently, just go for it!

To my understanding, "organizing dragons" isn't the suggestion or problem here. The problem is when you accidentally breed a dragon with a dragon you didn't want to breed it with; I don't "code" my dragons, so I can't see at-a-glance which are inbred. So it's VERY easy for me to accidentally breed my CB stripe to an inbred vine.

When there is a dragon you simply *don't want* on the breeding list... Your suggestion doesn't do much good. Because it's still there. And accidents will still happen.

I would definitely support some sort of checkbox or something to take dragons out of the breeding list, non-permanently.

Maybe there should be a way to make the dragon refuse each other so there won't be mistakes. I tried breeding my Flamingo with another one and they refused to go near each other, dragons are very good at deciding their own.

I have my Dragon's organized by breeding pairs as well. But organizing can only go so far when the pair you're trying to breed hasn't produced any offspring. I have several that do this to me numerous times and they're aren't on the top of the lists when I go to try again. I have to scroll down to find the mate. It's daunting because with the exception of one or two my dragons stay with the same mate.

I'd enjoy having a way to keep other dragons from showing up, or making it so your pairs only breed with one another, no other dragons show up on the breeding list. Endless love BSA or something.

That way there's no sterilization, not really for that, I keep the unbred dragons at the bottom of my lists.

I've seen suggestions like this before...not a 'neuter' option, per say, but more breeding lists.

The option was something like, being able to choose, before hand, which dragons can breed together, so only those show up on the list. The benefits were:

1) Can prevent inbreeding

2) Stop breeding incompatible couples

3) Less accidental clicks

4) Less time to load, less lag

And, the nice thing about that idea, is it also wouldn't require the dragon being prevented from breeding, full stop.

All of this would be immensely helpful.

I will point out that not everyone wants to organize their scroll to optimize breeding. Granted, I am far behind on organizing, but I have a specific way I like my scroll. Also, there are circumstances where you would want to "get rid of" a dragon you have bred your dragons to before. Fore example, quite a while ago, I finally figured out that I had been breeding my CB gold to the wrong autumn. I had thought that one was CB, but it wasn't, and now they have plenty of children, so it is stuck at the top of my list and as I have no intention of breeding that dragon again, I would like him removed completely.

I think a reversible one would be easy to do, honestly. It'd just be another standard action you could perform on a dragon.

Isolate --- Prevents this dragon from appearing on other dragons' breeding lists. Dragons can be added back into breeding lists after they are removed.

goes to --->

End Isolation --- Allows this dragon to appear on other dragons' breeding lists.

Not being in isolation is the default, of course. The in-game logic is that, hey, you DID raise your dragons, and they respect you, so if you ask them to go do some tasks away from the main cave for a while (ie in an isolated area where they won't have other dragons to breed with), I'm sure they'd oblige you.

Pullin' this up again

Angelicdragonpuppy, I think your idea is solid.

To further build on that:

In-game explanation

If we want an in-game explanation, we should probably skip spaying/neutering, since many people find that odd for dragon, and go instead with:

- Isolation (see Angelicdragonpuppy's suggestion).

I would feel bad(ish) about isolating a pet though, so another option could be

- An infertility spell which is reversible, akin to Fogging.

Out-game explanation

We could also forego on an in-game explanation entirely. Sorting your scroll, for example, doesn't have an in-game explanation either (even if in our minds, some of us are yelling "Skywings to the roof, please! Pygmies, your room is at the end of the hall!"). The same could be true for breeding lists.

Practical application

- On the Account page, is a link to the Breeding List. On the list are all your breedable dragons with 'Show on breeding page Y/N' boxes next to them. The default is Yes, but you can set them to No and back.

- On the individual dragon's page, at the bottom of the actions list (where hatchies have hide/unhide), you have an option to 'show / do not show on breeding page' or 'cast infertility/fertility spell'.

What would also help

- Making the potential partners on the breeding lists clickable. I might still misclick, but at least I will no longer mistake one potential partner for the other.

- Allow us to make a selection of the list of potential partners. This is akin to the 'show unnamed/unfrozen/etc' menu we have on our Dragons page. I.e. you might be able to select 'Show Caveborn only' or 'Show breed X' only.

I do like the idea of being able to customize the breeding page. I also do like the idea of being able to use a check box or some way to keep certain dragons off of the breeding page. With me it's more I'd like to try and keep some of the enormous lineage ones out of my cave so I'm not using them to make more dragons with even more enormous lineages.

I'm hoping i'm no the only one who has certain dragons that they never intend to breed, and so I propose an idea in order to shorten potential breeding lists why not add the option to neuter a dragon(Adults only). This would also be a favorable thing to freezing, this way dragons who are from lineages can be prevented from mucking up the family line, It could also be done with hatchlings. I would personally more likely to gift my lineage fails if no one was able to breed them.

I wouldn't mind the option of 'fixing' a dragon with a horrible lineage so it doesn't show up in my breeding list. I've accidentally bred a few of these and had to implement a sort of code as part of the name to tell me which are okay and aren't okay to breed. The code limits the length of the overall name I can use which is also getting problematic.

As far as preventing other users from breeding a dragon you discarded, no, I don't like that idea. If everyone could keep other people from breeding dragons they raised from an egg that came from direct trades or an AP egg then you would have too much control over other people's scrolls. I can see how that could be entirely misused to keep other people from gaining rares or prize dragons or even holiday dragons that could be bred.

What would also help

- Making the potential partners on the breeding lists clickable. I might still misclick, but at least I will no longer mistake one potential partner for the other.

- Allow us to make a selection of the list of potential partners. This is akin to the 'show unnamed/unfrozen/etc' menu we have on our Dragons page. I.e. you might be able to select 'Show Caveborn only' or 'Show breed X' only.

Oh goodness, what I wouldn't give to be able to click on the dragon I'm trying to breed! That would help so much, as would the 'show such-and-such a thing only' lists.

I do like the idea of segregating and/or isolating your dragons; I like it much better than the sterilizing idea, because in nature there are animals that chose not to breed or don't breed for whatever reason, and it sounds less... final, I guess.

Angelicdragonpuppy, I think your idea is solid.

To further build on that:

In-game explanation

If we want an in-game explanation, we should probably skip spaying/neutering, since many people find that odd for dragon, and go instead with:

- Isolation (see Angelicdragonpuppy's suggestion).

I would feel bad(ish) about isolating a pet though, so another option could be

- An infertility spell which is reversible, akin to Fogging.

Out-game explanation

We could also forego on an in-game explanation entirely. Sorting your scroll, for example, doesn't have an in-game explanation either (even if in our minds, some of us are yelling "Skywings to the roof, please! Pygmies, your room is at the end of the hall!"). The same could be true for breeding lists.

Practical application

- On the Account page, is a link to the Breeding List. On the list are all your breedable dragons with 'Show on breeding page Y/N' boxes next to them. The default is Yes, but you can set them to No and back.

- On the individual dragon's page, at the bottom of the actions list (where hatchies have hide/unhide), you have an option to 'show / do not show on breeding page' or 'cast infertility/fertility spell'.

What would also help

I love this idea and the additions! Let's go with this! biggrin.gif

It could also be done with hatchlings. I would personally more likely to gift my lineage fails if no one was able to breed them.

I really don't like the idea of having this much control over something you are gifting. Once a dragon leaves your scroll, it is no longer yours, so it is unfair that you (ie whomever sterilized the dragon before gifting/trading it) when you're not the one who will be deciding what to do with the adult dragon.

I wouldn't mind users people able to sterilize hatchlings as well as adults, but I think it should be like freezing hatchlings: sterilizing hatchlings makes them un-tradeable.

I really don't like the idea of having this much control over something you are gifting. Once a dragon leaves your scroll, it is no longer yours, so it is unfair that you (ie whomever sterilized the dragon before gifting/trading it) when you're not the one who will be deciding what to do with the adult dragon.

I wouldn't mind users people able to sterilize hatchlings as well as adults, but I think it should be like freezing hatchlings: sterilizing hatchlings makes them un-tradeable.

I definitely agree that no one should be able to sterilize things that leave their scroll. If sterilized hatchies are able to be traded than it should be like Incubate or Influence and be erased by the trade/abandoning.

I definitely agree that no one should be able to sterilize things that leave their scroll. If sterilized hatchies are able to be traded than it should be like Incubate or Influence and be erased by the trade/abandoning.

The only reason I went with un-tradeable instead of removed is because sterilization disappearing makes less logical sense. =p Although not everything in the game has to make sense, lol, so that is another good option.

The only reason I went with un-tradeable instead of removed is because sterilization disappearing makes less logical sense. =p Although not everything in the game has to make sense, lol, so that is another good option.

Lol very true... though I prefer the idea of isolation rather than sterilization, so if we end up with that then it would make sense to just remove the hatchling from its isolation xd.png

Oh goodness, what I wouldn't give to be able to click on the dragon I'm trying to breed! That would help so much, as would the 'show such-and-such a thing only' lists.

I do like the idea of segregating and/or isolating your dragons;

If you put the ones you don't want to breed at the bottom of their breed, you'd know not to use them...

Just a thought.

Yep would love to have my zombie fodders put into seperate place cool.gif

Would be nice to have them listed in some "sterilized" group under "Filter by:" option ☻

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

Well, there is chemical sterilization that is reversible/wears off. So it isn't completely out there.

I would like a way to take certain dragons off others breeding list, but I don't want it to be permanent. As it is now it can be a bit overwhelming to look for a particular dragon to breed. I have to have multiple tabs open with different dragons, I do use ctrl + F, but still. Having dragons clickable to see lineages would be great.

If you put the ones you don't want to breed at the bottom of their breed, you'd know not to use them...

Just a thought.

/Edit edit/ I just woke up and misread what you said. Trying this again.

I put dragons with longer lineages at the bottom of their group, and I do try to add 'spirit' to the name of my inbred dragons, but that doesn't stop me from occasionally accidentally breeding, say, a CB with a pretty-lineaged dragon. Once that happens I often accidentally breed the same ones together multiple times because now the lineaged dragon is at the top of the CB dragon's breeding list, and I don't always remember that it's something I don't want to breed again.

I've also gotten better at checking the dragons before I breed them, but I still slip up from time to time. Having a way to click to the dragons, or even just a way to denote that they're CB or lineaged on the breeding page, would be an amazing help for me.

Edited by silver_chan