Rorschach

Spay/nueter/sterilize

Maybe not... neuter or spay, but more with magic, because they are dragons after all, I don't think any dragon, even a tame one, would be alright with that. If you can cast a spell for a dragon not to grow up, you can probably do the same to sterilize it. ^^

But I would definitely use this, because I have bred dragons that I didn't intend to. :/

Although I think a better solution would be: (quote)

"I'm more for the control breeding page, where you can choose who shows up on certain dragon's breeding page. It'd be a better "fix"."

(Sorry if this has been suggested before - the search function appears to be off-line.)

I have several 'rescued' dragons with horrible lineages that are welcome on my scroll, but I don't want to breed with them. Since I'm probably not the only one with dragons like that, I'd like to suggest a 'neuter dragon' option by which they become unable to breed. This would prevent them from showing up in your list of breedable dragons or possible breed-partners, so you can't accidentally click on them.

One of the reasons this suggestion was shot down in the past is this. These dragons (with the exception of the drakes) are just as intellegent as we are. Do you think they would stand for us neutering them like one would a dog or cat? They would most likely eat us should we try.

I like the idea of being able to flick off certain dragon's breeding abilities, but I don't like the idea of neutering, because 1) it'd be permanent / could lead to people regretting the choice and 2) trying to neuter a DRAGON is silly! smile.gif

So yes to being able to keep some dragons from ever appearing in other dragon's breeding lists (with the ability to add them back to the breeding pool if you choose), no to neutering. ^^

I don't see why dragons can't be neutered, if not in the dog/cat way then at least by a magic spell. We already use magic to freeze hatchlings so they can't grow up, and we're able to kill dragons so it renders the 'they'd eat us' argument kind of void. Vampire dragons are incapable of breeding, so the programming for no breeding is already there, so... why not support this? I don't see any reason why not, and it would be handy in the case of preventing inbreds/messy lineages clogging up breeding pages.

Well, the same thing could be said for killing the dragons. They say that these things are telepathic, so even if you sneak up behind a dragon, you still have the intent to kill it, and it'd pick up on it and maul you. (Well, the adult ones anyway)

Maybe it would only be an option while its still a hatching, because in the description they say that they're pretty defenseless and weak, so you could probably do it then.

I know I myself would be much more inclined to adopt some messy lineaged dragons from the AP if I knew that I could have them there without worrying about clicking them by accident while breeding (And they wouldn't show up on the "Available for Breeding" thing too, very useful)

(Edit) As Kuraselache said, it could also be done by way of magic, seems reasonable. tongue.gif

Edited by ShadoWolf800

Well, the same thing could be said for killing the dragons. They say that these things are telepathic, so even if you sneak up behind a dragon, you still have the intent to kill it, and it'd pick up on it and maul you. (Well, the adult ones)

Maybe it would only be an option while its still a hatching, because in the description they say that they're pretty defenseless and weak, so you could probably do it then.

So then you wouldn't be able to trade neutered hatchlings right? Or a way to tell whether or not they're neutered.

I'm neutral on this, if I don't wnt to breed it I freeze it, but some poeple are against freezing so...

So then you wouldn't be able to trade neutered hatchlings right? Or a way to tell whether or not they're neutered.

I'm neutral on this, if I don't wnt to breed it I freeze it, but some poeple are against freezing so...

Hm... I didn't think about that.

But my guess would be no, because its been... "Modified", and it might be troublesome to be able to trade it. But then again, I don't see why not either, people would just have to specify "Un-Neutered" when they look for a trade. x)

And maybe a little mark next to the dragon on the scroll to show that its neutered, like they have the snowflake for frozen ones?

Edited by ShadoWolf800

What instead of this there is Unfertality. Think of it as this.

A purple dragon can make dragons fertile (even if it doesn't do much), what if there was a way to decrease a dragon being fertile? then chances can be that the dragon won't produce or can be removed.

But often the breedings don't work, some dragons don't care for each other others aren't (like rares), you would not like to try this on a dragon, they would bite you.

What instead of this there is Unfertality. Think of it as this.

A purple dragon can make dragons fertile (even if it doesn't do much), what if there was a way to decrease a dragon being fertile? then chances can be that the dragon won't produce or can be removed.

But often the breedings don't work, some dragons don't care for each other others aren't (like rares), you would not like to try this on a dragon, they would bite you.

Wouldn't it be easier to just *not* breed it?

If Unfertility became a BSA, I would say it shouldn't have a cooldown, because otherwise people with lots of dragons they didn't want to breed would have to hoard whatever dragon has that BSA in order to affect those they didn't want to breed. (Out of my 600 dragons I regularly breed less than 50)

The time to go and choose each dragon would also be far longer than a few seconds to check you've got the right one, so I doubt that would work.

I think it would be much easier to freeze or neuter than this.

You can freeze as hatchlings dragons that you prefer not to breed. You can also use a naming code for dragons that you want to raise to adulthood but prefer not to breed. I named all my inbred adults with the prefix raindearn for this purpose. You can keep careful records, many players do. You have to take responsibility for some things and in my opinion this is one of them.

I would rather simply a way to edit the breeding lists, rather than an "in game" explanation. If you simply have to have an explanation, maybe you persuade and/or the dragon chooses to take a vow of chastity. As such, even being considered a possible breeding partner is an insult to them and are removed from the list.

Edited by Nectaris

I suspect it would just un-neuter when abandoned or traded, like BSA's do.

I don't see why dragons can't be neutered, if not in the dog/cat way then at least by a magic spell. We already use magic to freeze hatchlings so they can't grow up, and we're able to kill dragons so it renders the 'they'd eat us' argument kind of void. Vampire dragons are incapable of breeding, so the programming for no breeding is already there, so... why not support this? I don't see any reason why not, and it would be handy in the case of preventing inbreds/messy lineages clogging up breeding pages.

The best way to do it is have a non-permanent option to remove a dragon from others' breeding lists. It can be permanent if you want, but if you want to breed it later you have the option of adding it back.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I suspect it would just un-neuter when abandoned or traded, like BSA's do.

I don't think it should be reversible; the only other spell which is cast on the game is freezing, which is permanent, and if it is done physically then it is definitely not reversible. Besides, I assumed the magic would make them physically unable, so surely that would be irreversible?

I would rather simply a way to edit the breeding lists, rather than an "in game" explanation. If you simply have to have an explanation, maybe you persuade and/or the dragon chooses to take a vow of chastity. As such, even being considered a possible breeding partner is an insult to them and are removed from the list.

This sounds like a good one to me. Why not? As long as you could use it whenever you want, and undo it, it sounds like an awesome way to keep nasty lineages from happening.

I think a reversible one would be easy to do, honestly. It'd just be another standard action you could perform on a dragon.

Isolate --- Prevents this dragon from appearing on other dragons' breeding lists. Dragons can be added back into breeding lists after they are removed.

goes to --->

End Isolation --- Allows this dragon to appear on other dragons' breeding lists.

Not being in isolation is the default, of course. The in-game logic is that, hey, you DID raise your dragons, and they respect you, so if you ask them to go do some tasks away from the main cave for a while (ie in an isolated area where they won't have other dragons to breed with), I'm sure they'd oblige you.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I agree with the reversible idea. This would be more like a dragon sorting preference than anything - it wouldn't make the dragon unable to breed, it just wouldn't show that dragon under the breeding options list.

Maybe this action could be available both under settings and each dragons' individual actions list, like teleport? That would make it simple both to find a dragon and isolate it, and to reverse the isolation if need be.

I think a reversible one would be easy to do, honestly. It'd just be another standard action you could perform on a dragon.

Isolate --- Prevents this dragon from appearing on other dragons' breeding lists. Dragons can be added back into breeding lists after they are removed.

goes to --->

End Isolation --- Allows this dragon to appear on other dragons' breeding lists.

Not being in isolation is the default, of course. The in-game logic is that, hey, you DID raise your dragons, and they respect you, so if you ask them to go do some tasks away from the main cave for a while (ie in an isolated area where they won't have other dragons to breed with), I'm sure they'd oblige you.

I quite like this idea as well; if TJ doesn't like the whole neutering idea, then I'd like this one at least. :3

~Merged~

Interesting that this suggestion has so much negativity this time around. It hasn't before. Popular opinion seemed to be for the suggestion, though the suggestion of being able to remove dragons from certain breed lists did come up as something possibly more wanted.

goes to --->

I'd prefer this rather than a permanent option.

If I change my mind later down the road I would like to be able to let my dragon breed instead of having it permanently unable to.

I'm all for having some sort of option on a dragon's Actions page that could be toggled to add/remove them from breeding lists.

I don't freeze dragons because I find the whole Peter Pan thing kind of creepy (personal preference, not casting judgement on anyone else who enjoys it; more power to you) and I love to collect Grays. As of right now I've got about eighty of the buggers, and keeping track of who is a messy inbred that I never intend to breed and who is a nice CB/second gen that I might feasibly want to use out of the ever-growing-list is a pain. And that's just one breed. Some dragon breeds I have, only one or two dragons out of dozens are worth breeding on a regular basis.

I think something like this might actually encourage people to take more commons onto their scroll, since they wouldn't have to worry about cluttering up their breeding lists (especially if they're like me and don't freeze), and organizing lineage projects would be simplified. Fewer accidental breedings is also a boon, since accidental breedings tend to result in messy eggs that nobody wants and that just end up cluttering the AP anyway.

The bigger my scroll gets, the more I really, really want something like this.

Thanks for merging my thread with this one, mods smile.gif.

In reply to some of the reactions:

The objection that dragons are too smart or powerful to neuter is moot imo. We can steal their eggs, freeze them with a spell, turn them into vampires or zombies, decide who gets to breed and with whom, and even kill them. If dragons are smart and powerful, then we must be akin to gods. So I don't think, compared to what we're already doing to them, that neutering would be going 'too far'.

I also don't think that Freezing is an equal alternative to neutering since some people don't want to freeze for various reasons. And the purpose of Freezing is to have a dragon remain a Hatchie forever, with infertility only being a side-effect. We can't equate the side-effect of one action (Freezing) with the purposed effect of another (neutering).

I also think that the ability to remove a dragon from our breeding lists would help with picking up eggs from the AP. People who would otherwise throw a messy egg back to prevent accidentally breeding with it, might be inclined to keep and neuter it instead.

Having said that, what I want is a way to remove undesirable dragons from the breeding lists. Whether this is accomplished through neutering, an infertility spell, or by slipping contraceptives into their food, is all the same to me. It could even be an out-of-game solution where we can simply make a mark on our scroll and thus remove that dragon from the breeding lists.

As for it being permanent or reversible: I personally don't mind it being permanent (I'm very certain about which dragons I want removed from my breeding pool), but I have no objections against making it reversible either. If we don't want removal from the breeding pool to be done too lightly, then perhaps the actual removal could be a free action and reversing it could be a BSA.

I'm playing for over four years now and have over 550 dragons. Personally I've never ever accidentally bred a dragon I didn't want to breed. I usually plan which dragons I'll breed before I even go to the breeding list. And since the fav partners of one's dragon show up on top of the list as well I never clicked on the wrong dragon. I admit though that's it's also often not easy to plan beforehand which dragons to breed because there are so many. So what I miss is an option to view the possible partner for my dragon again directly on the breeding list. When I open the breeding list of a dragon I can't click on any potential partners to review their statistics page/lineage again in a new tab. That works almost everyhwere else on DC but not on the breeding list. This would make a last check "just to be sure" much easier and is a feature I'd really, really love to have. smile.gif

The option of removing certain dragons from a breeding list does sound ok as well though for those who need such a feature, it would make the list shorter at least. It would have to be reversible though. I'm just not fond of the permanent solution of removing a dragon from the list. People want this because they got unwanted eggs by clicking the wrong dragon. Well, imagine a wrong click when you remove a dragon from the list, a dragon you didn't want to remove in the end and then you can never breed it again - that is far worse than one unwanted egg!

Well, imagine a wrong click when you remove a dragon from the list, a dragon you didn't want to remove in the end and then you can never breed it again - that is far worse than one unwanted egg!

Since all actions taken on DC require a confirmation (abandon, influence, incubate, kill, etc) I assume that neutering would too.

But I do second your request to make the breeding partners clickable. Sometimes I know that I want a certain breed as partner and it would help if I could click them to check their lineage. By the same token, it would help if I could enter parameters on the partners list (i.e. 'seasonal dragons only').