Rorschach

Spay/nueter/sterilize

personally, i think a better idea would be an option to add/remove a dragon from the list of breedable dragons when you please, instead of permenantly removing them.

I'm all for it to prevent INBREEDING. There should be something programmed to stop the nonsense with inbreeding. It's not right. Pretty soon, we'll be seeing goofy dragons because of a lack of DNA diversity.

I'm going to inbreed a dragon just for you.

You're inbred too, you know. Every single living thing on this planet is, according to both science and scripture.

:)

Edited by Lythiaren

I'm all for it to prevent INBREEDING. There should be something programmed to stop the nonsense with inbreeding. It's not right. Pretty soon, we'll be seeing goofy dragons because of a lack of DNA diversity.

o.O Only if TJ programs that in. We're dealing with a game, after all.

But that said, no, it shouldn't be specific to inbreeding, because my dragons, my choice. Your dragons, your choice. If I don't want to pick up inbred eggs, I don't have to, so why should it be limited at all? The idea behind this should just be to help people mark certain dragons as not breeding, if they wish.

Edited by kerrikins

It's really not the dragon's choice to be inbred when it comes down to it :/ just leave the poor things alone, bruh.

There's also the thing where people impose their human social moral code on everyone else's gameplay even though inbreeding is the reason there is such enormous variation in domesticated animals like dogs. There is no such thing as a purebred dog that has no inbreeding down the line.

Not to mention carefully constructed inbred lineages. There are some AWESOME ones out there... I am working on one myself. Don't you DARE take that possibility away from me mad.gif I will eat you with - well, not ketchup, that's disgusting; with dill pickles....

I wouldn't mind some way to limit what shows up on the available breeding page though. I have - perhaps - too many dragons here... xd.png

I would like something like this. smile.gif I think it would be quite useful to a lot of people. But since this discussion has been going for years and hasn't resulted in any change, I think a clear idea needs to be constructed of how this would work.

I don't think a BSA would really work, since I can't think of a dragon that it would be appropriate for. But I like the idea of it being just another magic spell, like freezing and fogging, etc. It could be just like fogging. You can sterilize and you can un-sterilize. It would mean the dragon wouldn't show up as an option on the breeding page and when you go to its actions page, it would say something next to the breed option like "this dragon cannot breed as it has been sterilized."

So yeah, I'd like to see something like this. smile.gif

lol at people responding to the post from '09.

I'm not particularly fussed about the what and hows of implementing this, but I would enjoy such a feature myself. There's quite a few dragons I'll never be interested in breeding for one reason or another, and it'd be nice to clear their names from the looooong selection list.

I myself don't think this would work. This progress is surgey and the closet thing is making a female dragon be barren and a male dragon sterile, but that is quite a rare thing in the natural world. Many animals are born that can't breed because they are barren.

However, there are simply easy solutions, if you don't want to breed a certain male or female then you simply avoid touching their link.

I kind of like the control the breeding page list better. Like, say I have a dragon with a permenant mate. I don't want any other dragons showing up on that dragon's breeding page; however, I don't want to spay/neuter all my other dragons, because that would just be stupid.

I myself don't think this would work. This progress is surgey and the closet thing is making a female dragon be barren and a male dragon sterile, but that is quite a rare thing in the natural world. Many animals are born that can't breed because they are barren.

However, there are simply easy solutions, if you don't want to breed a certain male or female then you simply avoid touching their link.

Not so easy if you are prone to miss-clicking (raises hand)

Or if you have a page of ( insert breed of dragon here) and you don't remember which are messy, inbred, whatever, etc. and you want to breed one of them. PITA to have to click on them all to figure out which you want. I use codes after my cave borns but I don't like the way that looks and would like to be able to not do that, and I refuse to start having to code all my others so I know if they are 2nd gen etc. It gets to complicated and like I said it ruins the naming.

I accidentally bred my CB yule with a long horrifically messy silver at Christmas. I felt really, really bad because there were people expecting some nice eggs from me and that one slip caused quite a few problems. I wish there was a way to avoid having certain dragons show up on my breeding pages and I'd like to see it as something that is reversible.

It doesn't have to be spay/neuter/surgery. There are other birth control options available. If we can humanize our dragons and worry about inbreeding, life mates, etc I don't see why we can't have the option of putting them on the pill, or whatever. tongue.gif

Putting them on the pill - yes ! Which would be being able to have them in a checklist and mark them "not for breeding just now" - but so that we could take them off at any time smile.gif

This would be useful, but I just want a way to make sure that dragons won't appear on the list. I don't want them to be completely unbreedable. Perhaps a checklist to show which dragons can and can't be bred at the time.

If you have a problem with inbreeding, just don't do it. We're dealing with pixels. Some people take this game too seriously. xd.png

I really like the idea of permanently removing them from everyone's breeding pages with just a single action. That'd allow me to easily eliminate a lot of very messy-lineaged guys from popping up when I'm seeking out nice mates.

However, I'm leery of it being neutering--call me a silly, but even if they're just pixel sprites, the idea of neutering a DRAGON still sounds goofy xd.png

Perhaps rather than neutering, it could simply just be an option saying 'remove this dragon from breeding lists,' which leaves it up to a user to imagine what reason the dragon really isn't breeding. Also if it was this, then hopefully it could be an option you could uncheck--I mean, while I probably wouldn't regret turning off a 83497th gen inbred dragon's breeding ability, I might at one time decide I don't want a 4th gen stripe breeding, and then later on realize I DO want it to breed, in which case I could just go and unflip the option. The in-game logic could be simple--dragon just doesn't feel like breeding at one time, and then decides they're up for a good ol' mating season later on! smile.gif

But we should have choices too

Okay I admit it I have certain life long mates for some of my dragons, but yet there are times when you might want to change things up a bit, I mean some animals are mates for life unless death do they apart (dragon wedding vows?)

But if I were a dragon (actually I named one of my dragons my scroll name, she's my O.c) I would want to keep my mate, but I would be a bit tired of the same male after a while.

I'm planning of doing that soon with Loki (I named him after the Norse god, so quiet about that I love Loki) at first he was going to be Silenxia nebula's mate, but then today I realize that I was a stupid nutcase in the fact that his namesake had two wives before.

So I am planning on having Loki breed with Angriboda, my ember (based on his Jotun wife of the same name) who was paired with my Magma. And then my upcoming female Purple.

I think there should be actual breeding seasons, that could be useful because on certain days certain dragons could breed, and then you won't have to worry

I'd be happy if the 'available mates' page was just better organized.

Sorted by breed.. or alphabetical.. or just something less random.

They're not random. They're in the order they fall on your scroll.

I have mine custom sorted and am fortunate enough to have a pretty good memory for where they fall on my scroll (over 950 dragons...).

I use names to tell me which of my dragons are inbred (Twist or some variation thereupon)

I'm not sure I'd want to be spaying/neutering my dragons. I usually choose who the mate is going to be before I click the breed action.

However, for those who do have trouble selecting/organizing, perhaps an option to not include a dragon on breeding lists might work.

Putting them on the pill - yes ! Which would be being able to have them in a checklist and mark them "not for breeding just now" - but so that we could take them off at any time smile.gif

This seems like a nice sensible solution. I've got about 1300 adult dragons, and having less of the 600+ potential mates to wade through to get to the right mate for an initial breeding...or a special request... would be nice.

I have some dragons from way back, that while I love them dearly, I have no intention of breeding them any longer as while they're not inbred...their lineages are somewhat untidy. Having a way to opt them out of gene pool for an undetermined amount of time sounds like an idea. A "spell" or an "herbal additive" sounds like it's viable for the non-tech time frame we have for the Cave.

I kind of like the control the breeding page list better. Like, say I have a dragon with a permenant mate. I don't want any other dragons showing up on that dragon's breeding page; however, I don't want to spay/neuter all my other dragons, because that would just be stupid.

You might be interested in Breed Mates: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=53157 :3

I like this idea, it would make it easier. But then It seems a big deal just to close off breeding to some dragons. I think we should we just deal with it.

This would be good. I sometimes don't realize that a dragon is inbred until it grows up, and I normally freeze inbreds for cuffs. This could prevent potential inbreeding.

Most browsers DO have a search feature, you know. I don't know how to activate IE's search feature, but I would find it five times easier to put a search in the breeding page, so you can find the exact name/dragon you want. I don't have an extreme amount of dragons, but it would be easier to have a search than to have checkboxes. As for spaying/neutering, GOD NO. That can't be changed. That's like thinking, 'I don't want my cat to have kittens.' Maybe some other time in life you might want that same cat TO have kittens. But you can't unspay/unneuter it. I know it sounds weird, but that's the same on DC. You might not want to breed it at first, but later on, you're like 'Oh, that dragon would be nice with this dragon.' and then you can't unspay/unneuter it, and then it would never have the potential to breed. Basic logic. So a search feature would most likely be best. I do not have rude intentions, but it's true. Something surgically done usually can't be undone, like spaying and neutering.

i dont really see a problem.. when i want to find a dragon to breed it with i use ctrl+f and type in its name.. its an easy way to do it and well i have never had a problem

Again, why? Just don't breed it, I you REALLY don't want to breed a dragon, you'll know it's name, and dyou won't breed it.

As for your Adult/Hatchling paragraph, it may just be me, but that made no sense. People (mostly) don't freeze hatchilngs out of not wanting them to breed, they mostly do this to collect the sprites.

Most of the older userbase does it for the reason you dismissed, me being one of them.

e;; I'm so dumb, need to look at dates first. xDDD

Edited by Ashes The Second

When you have a lot of dragons, it can take a while to load and if you don't normally breed with that dragon, it can take a while. If you could spay/neuter the dragons you don't want to be bred but let or wanted them to be adults, it could help with that. It could also help if you have unnamed dragons or have similar naming themes and accidentally click on the wrong dragon. I've done that before. I have one CB Val '09 and one second gen Val '09. I wasn't sure what I named which gen and ended up accidentally inbreeding a dragon I was trying to make a specific lineage for. Now, that's not a dragon I would spay or neuter, but it's not that hard to mix up names, and if you're never going to breed a specific dragon, why not be able to spay or neuter it just in case?