Rorschach

Spay/nueter/sterilize

I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything so forgive me if this has been suggested before and I just missed it.

What if there was an option to spay/neuter/and/or sterilize your adult dragons?

That way you can never accidentally or absentmindedly click on one you dont really intend to breed. You also have an alternative to freezing hatchlings which seems to bother some people/breeders. Also for those of use who much prefer to go the whole way in terms of getting an adult dragon as opposed to freezing it (which can feel like a shortcut) for projects that aim to empty the ap but dont want you to breed such dragons you take, it would be mighty useful. I'd rather have an adult army than a frozen one. smile.gif

I know some people can say well just dont ever breed it. But when you click to bring up a dragon to breed you get that whole long list of your available to breed dragons, this would shorten that list and make it easier to pick out only from the dragons you want to be breeding.

Edit:

Most users are in favor of a temporary solution to remove dragons from other breeding lists, though not in favor of a permanent solution in case they change their mind.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I like this idea. However, if you think about it spaying and neutering is a surgery, and I don't know any vets who are willing to perform it on dragons. rolleyes.gif

Rather than sterilization, just a check-uncheck box on which dragons can breed would suffice. I think there's a suggestion like that already floating around, though.

I don't know...if you can suddenly surround an egg or hatchling in a thick cloud of fog, you could cast a spell on a dragon to prevent it from breeding.

Again, why? Just don't breed it, I you REALLY don't want to breed a dragon, you'll know it's name, and dyou won't breed it.

As for your Adult/Hatchling paragraph, it may just be me, but that made no sense. People (mostly) don't freeze hatchilngs out of not wanting them to breed, they mostly do this to collect the sprites.

Again, why? Just don't breed it, I you REALLY don't want to breed a dragon, you'll know it's name, and dyou won't breed it.

I'd want to do it to get the dragon off the Breeding page when I'm trying to look for my dragon's mate. It's hell doing that now and I've only got 150 or so. I'd hate to think how hard it's going to be when I've got several hundred dragons.

Edited by Paradiso

I've seen suggestions like this before...not a 'neuter' option, per say, but more breeding lists.

The option was something like, being able to choose, before hand, which dragons can breed together, so only those show up on the list. The benefits were:

1) Can prevent inbreeding

2) Stop breeding incompatible couples

3) Less accidental clicks

4) Less time to load, less lag

And, the nice thing about that idea, is it also wouldn't require the dragon being prevented from breeding, full stop.

Definitely like this idea. Any form of it, really. Cast a spell, castration, check boxes, whatever option, really. Just as long as we have less breeding confusing!

Agreed. I have two accidental inbreds because I thought I was choosing one dragon and instead chose another. I've tried using family names to cut down on that, but any option that allowed me to customize -shorten- the breeding list would be very nice to have.

I'd be fine too with a way to customize the breeding page so that the list is more manageable. I can only imagine what breeding is like for those with hundreds...if not close to thousands of dragons blink.gif

There are plenty of people who grab commons off the ap or cave with the intent to grow it and freeze it or release it into the wild so that it can never breed...there must be at least 3-4 projects floating around these forums right now with that aim. Being able to somehow prevent an adult from breeding might encourage some people who'd rather have the adult sprite instead of a frozen hatchling to fully grow them

And thats where I step in and argue against the idea. Listen, we all want rares, the ratios are out of whack. So we need to have those important commons active. Whether or not the user actually breeds is up to them, however while their active theres a chance they will.

We need more commons right now so the ratios even themselves out again.

The only real advantage it is is to those who hate "inbred".

And thats where I step in and argue against the idea. Listen, we all want rares, the ratios are out of whack. So we need to have those important commons active. Whether or not the user actually breeds is up to them, however while their active theres a chance they will.

A hatched dragon still counts in the ratios, whether or not they breed. huh.gif

Its already occurring that lots of people grab pinks and other commons off the ap with the sole intention of freezing or releasing to the wild and never breeding...so how would this change anything?

not really into breeding yet

but it would seriously suck to click the wrong one when doing so

nice idea

If I never ever breed my pebbles anyways, and never ever will breed them, and will go so far as to kill the pebble eggs they might give me if I bred them on accident, then all this does is help me out by getting them off the list of dragon mates when I do my breeding. I never have and never will contribute to the ratios of some dragon breeds. So you're saying I shouldn't have a tool to make my life easier when breeding my dragons because it will prevent me from an accidental breeding that will raise the population of a breed by 1?

I don't want this to get more rares or to stop breeding commons. I want this because I want to unclutter the page of mates when I breed. And I have no intention of breeding all of my 12 splits or my 16 dorsals or my 14 reds. I'd like to neuter some of them so they don't show up on the lists when I breed.

I'd be happy if the 'available mates' page was just better organized.

Sorted by breed.. or alphabetical.. or just something less random.

I dislike the idea of actuallyl spaying/neutering the dragons.

They are dragons. They will eat you with ketchup if you try to get near their reproductive system.

This also takes place in the middle ages, keep that in mind.

I'm more for the control breeding page, where you can choose who shows up on certain dragon's breeding page. It'd be a better "fix".

I'd be happy if the 'available mates' page was just better organized.

Sorted by breed.. or alphabetical.. or just something less random.

Technically, it isn't random, far as i remember. It is just sorted alphabetically by the dragon's code which makes it seem really random.

Personally, i don't breed often and when i do breed, i pick dragons pretty much at random unless they are named to be in a certain pairing and that i mainly do with my pygmies and my splits and my ochredrakes and their pages are uncluttered enough as it is so this wouldn't affect me very much.

Edited by Wolf Wings

They are dragons. They will eat you with ketchup if you try to get near their reproductive system.

I'm more for the control breeding page, where you can choose who shows up on certain dragon's breeding page. It'd be a better "fix".

QFT

While I'd like to be able to customize lists o available mates (Getting hard to keep track of all my Stripes.) You can't really neuter a dragon.

This made me LOL smile.gif

I thought TJ said there was no set time period...

I agree.

I'd like to be able to use check boxes to make lists of 'dragons that won't be bred', 'dragons that will breed with this dragon', and so on.

It would reduce chances of accidental inbreeding, and would clear up the mate selection screen.

At the very least if the page could be sorted by breed, and then by code, it would allow me to more easily find the dragon I'm looking for. Yes, I look for the name, but sometimes I miss it, and wonder why it's not appearing, and so on.

Why not just use magic to sterilize a dragon? :S I mean, we can cast spells, so why not cast a spell like that?

I support this idea either way tongue.gif

I'm all for it to prevent INBREEDING. There should be something programmed to stop the nonsense with inbreeding. It's not right. Pretty soon, we'll be seeing goofy dragons because of a lack of DNA diversity.

Dude.

This is a game of PIXELS.

There are hundreds of thousands of dragons around.

Chill out.

Bur for your amusement ... *points to the inbred dragon in the works* tongue.gif

One possibility might be to make this one of the breed-specific actions when those are implemented. Maybe the mints know where to find some special herbs and make Love Potion Number 10.