Dis

The sprite practice thread.

do my ducks on my sig count as sprites? probably not lol but i was just messing with firealpaca when i made them (and ikikik i have to fix Poison's (the first one) skin colour it's grey and just)

Sprite basically just means a computer graphic/picture made with the computer. Yes, your neat-o ducks are sprites.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

What do you want crits on? Shading? Lining? If the style is consistent? Because the most obvious thing that pops out is anatomy, but I'm guessing that is a part of your style. ^^

The top one is a little dark and would benefit from some highlights, but both sprites are cute! I really like your unique style. :3

Looking for crits on basically everything. I'm new to spriting and tips would be appreciated! I do have my own style, actually, but it looks much better on drawings. So got any anatomy tips for a beginner? c:

Wings always cause problems for me, btw. Can't really figure out how to draw them from different angles. I can maybe only draw them from side-view but that's about it.

user posted image

I know the background in the space rifts isn't technically pixel, but I wanted the effect. Looking for crits on everything, especially shading.

Although technically I've made small pixel things before, for all intents and purposes this might as well count as the first time I've done pixel art.

^ The shading is very faint, I'd suggest contrasting colors more. It also looks kind of pillow shaded?

That said, I'm sure my own has lighting/anatomy problems:

user posted image

ah geez I forgot some of the lightning shading whoops ^^'

Edited by Lindy

^ the near leg blends into the body too well, at first I thought it was missing. there are some spots that i think should have highlights, too, like the forearm and chest. chest juts out really far/is too big for a neck that size

Welp, I tried to sprite Dracchan's sketch but... eh. Idk seemed like a challenge so I tried. I'll probably add on some shading for more practice. Without further ado user posted image>>user posted image

Edited by Sparky5342

not bad. what sticks out to me:

> head looks kinda plain, could be more defined

> cheek fin doesn't look like a cheek fin. it looks like it attaches underneath the head or at the neck instead of on the cheek. IMO it didn't look great in the original sketch either so

> the line at the bottom of the neck should continue the whole way through instead of cutting off at the cheek fin.

> the arm anatomy is off, especially at the shoulder. try this and this for reference.

As well, the outlining color is kinda all over the place? The fins have good colors picked, but the body is pretty dark (expect by the far wing/fin thing, where it's too light). o.o

The shading is also pretty basic. You want to pick a light source and position for the light source. This will create both areas of highlight and areas of lowlight. Right now I don't see any shades, only some basic pillow shaded highlights. ^^ But you'll wanna do anatomy fixes before tackling the shading. To help get an idea of how a light source affects a 3D object, try looking at things around you - even crumpling up a piece of paper and moving it around under a lamp or flashlight or something.

Overall, the lining is really good - and you picked a tricky one to work with, Sparky5342!

oh yeah, didn't see the shading--Sock has good points on that. Additionally, you should definitely use more contrasting colors. At the moment the shadow and highlight are very similar, so it is hard to distinguish them and see which areas are light or dark. +definitely study light just in the world around you in order to get a better understanding of how it works and where the shadows fall.

It might be easier to avoid the partial transparency until you have a better grasp on shading, since that tends to be pretty challenging for anyone.

Well, hey looky there! I tried to sprite Gradient's sketch for, you know, more practice. I sorta like my lining but any CC for anything? It's just flats for right now, I'll try some shading on it soon...user posted image

I tried to sprite for the first time ever tongue.gif

I'm pleased with it, but would love critique, specially on the fish, I can't quite point out what's wrong with their shading...

user posted image

I'm far from experienced with shading but the first thing that hits me with the fish is that its not defined. I just see an orange blob with white stripes, the fins aren't defined and the outline of the fish blends into the background.

I tried to sprite for the first time ever tongue.gif

I'm pleased with it, but would love critique, specially on the fish, I can't quite point out what's wrong with their shading...

user posted image

The first step is perfecting outlines. Take a look really close and smooth out any jagged lines. Try and avoid perfect right angles. You have a few areas on the fish and on the reef itself where it could be smoother.

Shading needs a bit of touch up but for now let's work out the outlines, as that is the base of the sprite and makes a big difference in the final result.

Edited by Ashywolf

I've been practicing shading a lot smile.gif and I made this. Is it better?

user posted image

I also made my avatar. Crits on those two would be appreciated.

Edited by arjunvohra

I tried to make a pixel banner, but I feel like it's missing something shading-wise. Something about either the wings or the middle bothers me, but I can't figure out why.

user posted image

arjunvohra, I'm by no means qualified to give detailed critiques, but from what I can tell the base of the hair where the shadows are seems to blend in together slightly. Not sure if that was the intended effect, but it's a little hard to distinguish between the chunks of hair. The light on the bottom of the neck also seems slightly off, I think cause it might be a little too round? Your avatar seems fine shading-wise, but the back horn thing seems to be a different shape from the front one.

Is that the colab banner? My gosh it's beautiful! I'm more of a traditional pencil drawer, but the wings on and off the banner are hard to see. Perhaps maybe a few pixels of a shadow under them to make them pop a little more?

I tried to make a pixel banner, but I feel like it's missing something shading-wise. Something about either the wings or the middle bothers me, but I can't figure out why.

user posted image

Wow, that looks beautiful so far!

@AroaraAngelwolf that looks like a sprited version of one of the sketches!! I haven't done any work on this yet because I'm going in order of requests. I agree though...I think we can figure out a way to make the wings pop out more.

I also figure...that is a good size for a signature badge, not a front page banner...so when I start working, I think I'm going to make a larger scale banner using traditional digital coloring methods, not pixel art. And then this can be the pixel art badge accompaniment to your main banner?

Edited by Pryanka

Wow, that looks beautiful so far!

@AroaraAngelwolf that looks like a sprited version of one of the sketches!! I haven't done any work on this yet because I'm going in order of requests. I agree though...I think we can figure out a way to make the wings pop out more.

I also figure...that is a good size for a signature badge, not a front page banner...so when I start working, I think I'm going to make a larger scale banner using traditional digital coloring methods, not pixel art. And then this can be the pixel art badge accompaniment to your main banner?

Yes exactly, that way members of the rp can chose the badge or banner. I can't wait to see them when they are both finished! smile.gif

Okay, I'll try to add darker shadows to the wings! I did mean for it to be signature sized, hence the pixel art instead of more traditional art. I don't have a drawing tablet with me right now either, so traditional art is kinda difficult to make nicely. Curve tool is my only hope, really. xd.png

I was actually planning on doing two banners, but considering the amount of work this took and the homework/RP duties I have, it might not be a realistic expectation.

I darkened the wings on the banner a little more and added a subtle transparent shadow on the middle wings. Hopefully the wings will stand out enough now!

user posted image

I've been practicing and wondering if it is good or not. Ive been practising for a little while now, managing to finish most of the lines in a few hours and have been tweaking them since. The feet feel a little off for me....

user posted image

Original - Fluffypillow:

click

So thoughts? (besides needing to shrink it down somewhat?)

Edited by aussieJJDude

I made a silver crown with rubies, however I feel like the bottom strip of metal doesn't quite mesh with the crown part. Can anyone give me some pointers on how I should fix that?

user posted image

I've been practicing and wondering if it is good or not. Ive been practising for a little while now, managing to finish most of the lines in a few hours and have been tweaking them since. The feet feel a little off for me....

user posted image

Original - Fluffypillow:

click

So thoughts? (besides needing to shrink it down somewhat?)

I don't really want to comment too much on the lines, 'cause this puppy definitely needs shrunk quite a bit. I don't want to say much because mainly the crit I have is to just work on overall smoothing of the lines. The anatomy looks pretty good, but there's definitely quite a bit of roughness in those lines. ^^;;

I made a silver crown with rubies, however I feel like the bottom strip of metal doesn't quite mesh with the crown part. Can anyone give me some pointers on how I should fix that?

user posted image

Looks good! You're right the the bottom and top don't really match all that well. My only advice is to give the bottom part a gradient closer to what's on the top. The bottom gets much darker much faster, and it looks like it ends up with overall much darker shades faster. I know the top part is intricate and will catch the light differently, creating mini-areas of shadow and highlight, but the bottom part should still darken at roughly the same rate as the top.

If that makes sense?