votehim

Dragcave statistics

yes i had thought of that but there are other ideas i've seen that would take up far more space . but tj has said that even those wouldn't be a problem

but i do agree there is not an infinite amount of space

I love stats rolleyes.gif So I totally support this idea. But I don't expect it in the near future due to all the work that's gonna take..

ya it will take some work and i have no idea as to weather tj has even seen this suggestion or not

@rimedragona if you go to ewbd you can search your scroll and it will tell you your stats

Edited by votehim

It's a good idea, except for the part about "at the exact moment of click."

In order to do that, the server would have to read the data of every single dragon in the cave, sort out which ones are the right species, and look through all of those multiple times to check their stage, gender, and owner, all on demand. That's rather a lot of CPU devotion, especially when probably hundreds of people will want to look at it in a short span of time. The cave is laggy enough already, thank you.

It would be far more practical to simply gather the statistics at some time every day, probably midnight, and display those to the user. It won't be up-to-the-moment accurate, but why does it need to be? I know I'm not even remotely interested in refreshing a page every two minutes to watch some numbers go up.

It's a good idea, except for the part about "at the exact moment of click."

In order to do that, the server would have to read the data of every single dragon in the cave, sort out which ones are the right species, and look through all of those multiple times to check their stage, gender, and owner, all on demand.

As far as I know, the ratios are based on the number of the dragons.

Hence, that data must already be in the database, always up-to-date, no need to recalculate anything. Just fetch the current numbers.

At least, that's how I'd program it. I know nothing about the inner workings of this site.

Cool idea. I'm definitely in support of this - I love statistics and such, and I'd definitely find it interesting. ^.^

100% behind this one, I have also always wanted to know the order that the dragons were released in. When I first started playing, The Dragon Horse, Water Horse, Water Walker, Deep sea and Whiptail had just been released.

This Information would be very nice for those who are only new, or who don't use the Forum.

... I have also always wanted to know the order that the dragons were released in. When I first started playing, The Dragon Horse, Water Horse, Water Walker, Deep sea and Whiptail had just been released.

This Information would be very nice for those who are only new, or who don't use the Forum.

There is a thread suggesting that here http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=81969 and I agree that sounds cool.

As far as I know, the ratios are based on the number of the dragons.

Hence, that data must already be in the database, always up-to-date, no need to recalculate anything. Just fetch the current numbers.

I wouldn't think that the ratios would have to be constantly updated. It might update every half-hour or something, but I don't think the ratio changes too fast. I do agree that the info already exists, I don't know anything about coding, so I don't know whether it would be hard to make something displaying the numbers.

I'm a programmer too, and I've done code myself that's similar to that, and its really easy and doesn't take up much space at all.

But I see two problems with this:

1. By watching the numbers of specific species, you can carefully breed your Gold with a whatever with the right timing, guaranteeing that if they succeed, the egg WILL be gold to keep the site's overall ratio, which we already know it does.

2. I suggested something one day about sorting dragons with statues that are grayed out if you don't have it, and someone said something to the effect of "but that would ruin the fun because you'd see a statue of a new dragon that you didn't know about yet, and there's no surprise value anymore." In the case of this idea, you'd see the dragon's name. Look at the News section, state of the cave. Everyone's going nuts over postulating what dragons are coming out, and seeing thier names already on the stats page would ruin the fun.

But if it gets implimented, then I'd probably be checking over there a lot (two words, not one)!

This would be awesome! I've always wanted to see how many dragons I've hatched, raised, released, abandoned, etc.

You can do part of this using the Soti-Dragon's Nest & Nursery site, under "Add Dragons" there is a search function where you can type in a scroll name. It lists any egg or hatchlings you have [only if they are on the soti site] and a "Scroll Stats" which lists:

[this is from my scroll]

Total Dragons: 238

Egg Count: 1

Hatchling Count: 1

Frozen Hatchling Count: 34

Male Frozen Hatchling Count: 8

Female Frozen Hatchling Count: 10

Ungendered Frozen Hatchling Count: 16

Adult Count: 202

Male Adult Count: 98

Female Adult Count: 103

Ungendered Adult Count: 1

I think seeing the total site statistics is neat, but I'm more interested in my own personal stats.  That can't be any harder for the site to find out than the stats for the entire cave.  *shrug*  Either way would be neat, though.

If we're going to have a stats page, it would be nice to have it list the stats for the entire site and as rimedragona mentioned stats for your scroll as well. Maybe your stats then the whole site's stats.

{edited to clarify}

Edited by Lady Crimson Vanidae

I think having personal stats is rather redundant, since that is a feature offered by several fan sites. I also am imagining it would take a lot of *not sure of the term, bandwidth? not a computer person* but a lot of resources to find, calculate and display the information on an individual scroll, over and over as each person checks it. I know that is an issue that has come up with most suggestions asking for custom scroll options such as color and new ways to divide dragons up.

I like this idea. Sometimes I find myself tempted to post a "what is the total population of the x dragon breed?" topic, but I never find a good enough reason, other than the fact that I'm just curious. All this talk of ratios gives a certain level of curiosity as to the total numbers/stats of the cave itself.

+1 supports.

I think this would be really cool to add to the site, but personally I like the idea of it being another hidden page like the Wilderness

I like the idea of having a statistic. For example I was wondering how many Hollies there are now in existence. (I was kinda trying to calculate how big the chances are to get one last Christmas) To have such an information for all dragon breeds would be good. smile.gif

I think this would be really cool to add to the site, but personally I like the idea of it being another hidden page like the Wilderness

Sounds OK to me, considering it's not really that important.

I like this idea. Sometimes I find myself tempted to post a "what is the total population of the x dragon breed?" topic, but I never find a good enough reason, other than the fact that I'm just curious. All this talk of ratios gives a certain level of curiosity as to the total numbers/stats of the cave itself.

+1 supports.

I can't think of a real reason - but it's still something that would be interesting to see. Make ratios more meaningful as a discussion topic, too. Maybe we would find that a load of things are not as unusual as we think ?

it could be a hidden page found by typing in something like

www.dragcave.net/stat

similar to the set up of the wilderness

or the gravyard or nursery tongue.gif

It would be nice, but wouldn't it fall under reverse engineering or something? If you gave out those numbers, it would be extremely easy to figure out the ratios of everything. "Users of the site agree not to reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to derive any processes or formulas used by the site's internal calculations."