wondersueak

Breeding and Action Timers

You know the breeding and action timers? Where after you breed a dragon, when you go to breed it again before 7 days it says this: "This dragon cannot breed because it last bred less than 7 days ago." In stead of that I was thinking it would be better if we had a more persice breeding timer where it goes like this *"This dragon cannot breed because it last bred 7 days and 13 hours ago." for example*

Suggestions for timers:

1. "Please wait 2 days and 15 hours" (suggested by alci)

2. "This dragon can next breed on January 7th at 2:18" (suggested by matya)

3. "This dragon can next breed in 6 days 23 hours and 12 minutes" (sheppardkid; could even show down to the seconds)

Right now the cooldown period is measured in full days. When you get down to 1 day, there's no way to tell if that's 23h59' or 1'. Admittedly you could record the exact time of breeding / using a BSA somewhere separate, but wouldn't it be easier if the cooldown timer measured in days&hours instead of just days? Remaining time on eggs and hatchlings is already measured like that, so the internal DC clock is refined enough.
Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

This idea came up a while back. I supported it then. I support it now. And I usually don't even care for long term. If an hourly basis constantly would be too much server strain, how about just on the 7th day? That last day is the worst because you might check your dragon and see that at night, but not be able to breed it until the next evening. It can be quite frustrating to work out gifting and the like with such a system : /

Doesn't it already updates once a day? If it does why have and hour counter, it just looks a little pointless unless your overhyped about breeding one dragon over and over again.

I forget the hour I bred in... For me this would be great just knowing the hours left. I care not for the minutes.

Yes please! I always forget when precisely I bred a dragon, so a timer to the hour would be nice.

Doesn't it already updates once a day? If it does why have and hour counter, it just looks a little pointless unless your overhyped about breeding one dragon over and over again.

This would rather be the point. Dragons like my silvers, for example, I breed every week as soon as I can. I usually do the same with my stripes. I gift these eggs to people who don't have them. I feel it would much simplify the task of arranging a gifting time. It's a hassle for both involved to sit around for hours only to find nearly a full day later that it could not breed for so long...

+ Support

I'd love a Breeding Timer, and a Timer for BSA's. I don't really like neither the trackers which some fansites offer, nor the add ons.

Edited by Aurora-Silver

the time goes down to the very minute you last bred... so updating once a day is worthless if you don't remember the exact hour and minute you bred the previous week.

Example. Say I breed my dragons at 7:23 on Feb. 1 I know that my next breeding day is Feb 7, but in that time frame I forget what EXACT time I bred them. I check my dragons on Feb. 7 at 7:00 and I get a message telling me that I have to "wait 1 more DAY".. but in fact I really only need to wait 23 MINUTES. Very misleading.

I'm all for a countdown timer showing you "please wait 1 day 19 hours", etc. you get countdown timers for hatchlings and eggs so why not breeding times.

Edited by WraithZephyr

Yes. I'd love a better countdown breeding timer.

That would be great. Especially if you live in another country (time zone), you don't really know when the dragon can breed again.

Lol I love the one person who voted for the third option xd.png

I vote yes on this. It would be nice for it to be a bit more detailed.

That would be nice to have so that I know exactly when breeding is ready (cuz I get confused to why breeding is still locked when I thought it would be open dry.gif )

Support +

I support it. It's very annoying to go to the action page find you're still locked and you don't have any idea when the breeding will be available.

Yes absolutely! To add the hours should do no harm and would make many user happy (including me xd.png). It really gives you the possibility to time trades/giftings better. I never can memorize when I bred what... ^^"

This can be very useful both for breeding and BSAs (maybe freezing too), I support it. But about server strain, this is also true. Maybe it can show the exact time only on request, like "show more details"? We don't need it all the seven day's hours but only the last day, so if we use it only when we need it we can save a lot of strain to the server (and a lot of work to the Lagmonster biggrin.gif). As there are logs, it shouldn't be too diffucult to read them on request.

I just noticed a new feature in the Eggs Around The World browser addon: A timer that shows exactly what time an egg was bred (even down to the second). Granted, you have to have one of three compatible browsers to use the addon, but for those who have Firefox, Chrome, or Seamonkey, it's worth taking a look. Link: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=83276

As for an actual DC feature for this, I still support it. Many users don't have any of the aforementioned browsers to use the EATW addon.

I like this feature. I have the addon to keep track of mine (plus I write the times down in a file as well) but this would help a lot more people smile.gif

It sounds like a good idea to me. While it doesn't always make a difference, when you do have a dragon that you are looking forward to breeding again, more specific information would be very much appreciated.

Granted, you have to have one of three compatible browsers to use the addon, but for those who have Firefox, Chrome, or Seamonkey, it's worth taking a look.

my browser can't handle add-ons.. it crashes far too often as it is. dont need to make it worse by drawing on more of the computer resources that I don't have enough of to begin with.

I don't see a need for it, personally. Of course, that's because I know I usually breed my Dragons late night, an figure it should be breedable by 2am or something. xd.png

But really, so long as it's not too much work, I guess there's no problem with it or anything, and I guess I can see how many people would think it's useful...

But really, so long as it's not too much work, I guess there's no problem with it or anything, and I guess I can see how many people would think it's useful...

The code work technically is already existing because the site DOES keep track of that time... just a matter of adding it to the page....which isn't that hard to do.

Yes i agree with this. I think about those in other country, and then.. I think about the time zone, my time zone is +1 and i don't know if I gonna be confused soon...

I just want to say that you don't have to know DC's timezone or do any conversions for breeding. It's 24 hours, which is the same anywhere. So if you bred at 1:09:44 PM your time, that's when you'll be able to breed again. ;3

I do agree that being a bit more specific would help some people. :3

I don't know how much strain it would put on the server to change the (potential) message each hour, but I'd be very happy with a timer saying "You cannot breed this dragon before Feb 21, 2:34 PM." Something like that. After all, the exact time needs to be saved somewhere or other anyway to make the cooldown work, so I think this is a workable solution