INsanityPenguin

More space for reviewing descriptions?

I PM'd TJ to ask about this, but it probably hasn't happened yet.

I'm all for this. Even in descriptions where there aren't that many mistakes, when I reviewed as a user I tried to make sure the person knew what I was fixing, so I'd run out of room quick. And as stated in the new guide I made, I'd prefer if people didn't just say "go here to get it fixed" or "too many mistakes", but give tips on how to fix all those mistakes, and that can rob you of room rather quickly, also. And it's never a sure thing someone can join the forum to be helped by the proofreading topic.

So yeah.

/bump

*waves support flags*

Pretty please? With sugar and marshmallows and chocolate covered strawberries on top?

More space would be lovely. I'd love to be able to give helpful suggestions as well as crit...but with so little space I feel like I sound kinda rude because there's only space for one or the other, so I address whatever's the most glaring--and it's usually the crit end.

*pokes*

We have had a bunch of people for Description Reviewing Day who expressed their want for this. It makes me sad when a user spends a lot of time doing a review, run out of space, get frustrated and just decide to delete it all. I'd love if they could finish their review. 3=

I'll add in my support for this! I can't tell you how many times I haven't been able to fully review a description because I ran out of space. Double the limit sounds like it would be fine. 400 characters should be enough.

It makes me sad when a user spends a lot of time doing a review, run out of space, get frustrated and just decide to delete it all.

I do this a lot. If I knew that there would be plenty of space for my whole review I would review more often.

I'd like a comment box instead of a one-line thing, perhaps with options to bold/colour text to draw attention to corrections.

There will always be people without forum accounts (who perhaps don't want them for one reason or another) who write dragon descriptions. We need a better way to clearly communicate our suggestions to help them improve their descriptions.

Support 101%. xd.png I actually stopped reviewing descriptions quite a few months ago because most of the descriptions I encountered were kinda...well, I couldn't fit all the errors into the textbox tongue.gif

A new idea popped into my head: what if there were three textboxes? In one of them, you could list spelling mistakes, while another one would be grammar mistakes, and the last box could be other comments (like 'I like blablabla, but try adding more about your dragon's lalalalala') ^^

I think 2 would be enough, honestly (Grammar&Spelling and General). But that would be EPIC. I would so many kinds of absolutely LOVE that!

I think 2 would be enough, honestly (Grammar&Spelling and General). But that would be EPIC. I would so many kinds of absolutely LOVE that!

This would be great! I'd definitely support a "Grammar & Spelling" and "General Comments" box. biggrin.gif

I support, I always run out of room because I feel the need to correct every mistake (being the Grammar Nazi I am) and only get half way. Then I usually give up and just end up writing something along the lines of "lots of mistakes, get it checked" because I run out of patience with the limited space.

support

in some of the longer descriptions i fix up mistakes and then don't have room to encourage them ;.; makes me feel so mean to just list everything that is WRONG and not being able to say that despite the edits needed i like this that or the other.

after all it's meant to be constructive crit right?

Yes, I'd love this. I reviewed a couple of descriptions a couple of days ago by a person whose native language obviously wasn't English. The descriptions were very much a sincere effort, but I unfortunately couldn't address all the grammar problems the person had, let alone suggest better word choices, tone, etc.

Supporting this as well! hate having to see description submitted again and again for small grammatical errors that could be covered in one fell swoop with a little more space for reviewing.

I agree with this! Sometimes descriptions need a lot of help, and I feel bad when I have to just say "Go to the forums for help!" instead of offering advice on the whole thing.

Because in honesty, if a description DOES have more than a handful of spelling errors, grammar errors, capitalisation/other errors then I won't be correcting them anyway. I'd reject and they'd still have to resubmit.

Huh, I don't think I ever realized that the corrections were meant to be for the approving mods to read and enact. I thought we were giving these comments with the idea that the player would be the one to fix the errors and would have to resubmit it anyway, and that the approvers generally would only hit the 'yes' or 'no' button and would not make corrections because making the corrections wasn't their job. It even says something to that effect on the description page, doesn't it?

If the corrections are really meant for the mods, I'll waste less character spaces trying not to be irritatingly blunt about my corrections. wink.gif

Huh, I don't think I ever realized that the corrections were meant to be for the approving mods to read and enact. I thought we were giving these comments with the idea that the player would be the one to fix the errors and would have to resubmit it anyway, and that the approvers generally would only hit the 'yes' or 'no' button and would not make corrections because making the corrections wasn't their job. It even says something to that effect on the description page, doesn't it?

If the corrections are really meant for the mods, I'll waste less character spaces trying not to be irritatingly blunt about my corrections. wink.gif

No, they're definitely meant for users. However, when Terri and I were modded and there were like 40k+ descriptions in the backlog, we had to take the time to reject a lot and add comments on what to fix. Then they would get resubmitted, adding to the process. So yes, mods can make edits, and we will, but your comments are first and foremost for the users. ^^

I'd like a comment box instead of a one-line thing, perhaps with options to bold/colour text to draw attention to corrections.

I like this idea. It would help quite a bit with pointing out where the errors are without taking up comment space so we can better help those individuals.

I've really gotten into looking over descriptions waiting for approval recently. I use the comment section to help point out errors or problems that I see in the story.

However, I've come across a problem. Sometimes there is just not enough space in the comment section to properly address when a writer is incorrectly using words or if they're mixing past and present tense in their descriptions. Sometimes I don't even have room to list everything so I can help the writer improve.

Is it possible to increase the character limit for commentary on descriptions? As it is now, I'm unable to properly explain my corrections and have to use tiny, broken sentences that really can't explain anything.

Does anyone else feel the same way? I'm sorry if this has already been suggested. I tried to use the search feature, but I'm really terrible with searching forums. I never really found a suggestion like this.

This is a duplicate thread. Can I find it ? Nope....

I am pretty sure this was already suggested somewhere, but I am not finding the thread, either. This is one of the main reasons I gave up reviewing descriptions. I found it impossible in many cases to give meaningful crit in the space provided.