hornpipe2

Egg Drop Soup

Yay for being back, I need my daily soup to remain healthy wink.gif

Looks like my IP address changed (I don't have a static one lol) and the name server didn't get my update request. I just updated it manually, everything should be working again once the old IP expires from your cache (about 5-10 minutes usually)

I haven't been checking the forums very often at all lately and so I often miss things like this... if it seems like the site is down for more than a few hours I'd appreciate a PM as those go straight to my email inbox. It'll probably get resolved much faster that way : ) Thanks to all the dedicated users of the site, and the donations! I was able to cover domain name renewal thanks to your generosity.

Yay! I'm glad it's back up. Because of other fansites that closed permanently, I was thinking the same would happen to this one.

Hey, whoever is running the mass remove, cut it out please.

EDIT: Oh, it's ext3h, owner of EATW.

PING dc.makegames.de (78.46.97.206) 56(84) bytes of data.

78.46.97.206 - - [01/Jun/2010:09:53:54 -0500] "POST /dragcave/remove.php HTTP/1.1" 200 447 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; de; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100423 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.3"
78.46.97.206 - - [01/Jun/2010:09:53:55 -0500] "POST /dragcave/remove.php HTTP/1.1" 200 448 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; de; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100423 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.3"
78.46.97.206 - - [01/Jun/2010:09:53:55 -0500] "POST /dragcave/remove.php HTTP/1.1" 200 451 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; de; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100423 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.3"

Way sneaky there, dude.

Are they submitting dragons for removal whenever they're removed from EATW?

That'd be interesting.

Well, thank goodness and thank you, hornpipe2!

I was missing this site quite badly enough, then just now got back to the puter where I'd so far viewed one measly page so far at DDF to find that THAT was down...

Are they submitting dragons for removal whenever they're removed from EATW?

That'd be interesting.

EDS doesn't allow single-code removal, it's entire scrolls only. I assume he was just pumping sequentially increasing numbers into the box. Or, possibly feeding scroll names directly from the EATW database.

Also, I highly doubt that submitting 1000 simultaneous requests for the dump.php or the largest jpg image on greg-kennedy.com was intended as a benevolent action.

In any case, I think he's stopped. I've also added a simultaneous global connections limit and disabled the scroll removal until later, so things seem to be back to normal.

So...in layman's terms, what just happened? O.o

Why is this site unavailable for me? Its one of my favorites.

Or is that whats posted above. I am confused.

....if you click on the link and the site doesn't load, then there's something wrong. Don't rely on forum posts alone tongue.gif

So...in layman's terms, what just happened? O.o

the owner of eggs around the world made a script that will re-add scrolls in the egg drop soup database thus removing all un-viewable dragons from the hatchery.

What? I'm confused...

the owner of eggs around the world made a computer program that will go through egg drop soup and find a random user there and re-add the persons scroll, when that happened only the still growing egg would be there and all the adults, deads and frozens would be taken out.

I'm pleased to see this site is up again. It's the best automated hatchery we have now in my opinion. Thank you to the owner for fixing the problems. Was a bit worried it was gone for good.

the owner of eggs around the world made a computer program that will go through egg drop soup and find a random user there and re-add the persons scroll, when that happened only the still growing egg would be there and all the adults, deads and frozens would be taken out.

No, dead ones stay in the soup, for some reason.

Well that pretty much went way over my head and I'm not too shabby with computer jargon.

Bottom Line: EATW pulled a jerk move that caused EDS to stop functioning properly and as a result, EATW's functions have been disabled, correct?

In any case, I like both EDS and EATW, but I'm particularly fond of EATW because sometimes, you can see what gender your dragon will be if you check your scroll there when your eggs are close to hatching. I quite enjoyed being able to peek at the genders in advance that way.

For now I'd rather assume it was a script-kiddy style attempt at cleaning up. Whatever the reason was though, it was not correct, which is probably why Ext's API access got disabled, since he could use that one to easily determine which of the dragons from the egg drop soup dump were adult and which weren't, plus their owners' scrolls to feed it into the egg drop soup's remover.

That would be just a rough guess though.

Well I won't be using EAtW anytime soon. It is pure wrong to make another site go down like that! I use EDS way more than EAtW. I think EAtW will lose quite a bit of people because of this action the admin has done.

Edit- clarification.

Edited by Charu

Quick recap: EATW's owner (allegedly) attempted to mess with EDS by feeding large amounts of either scroll names or ID numbers into the Remove Scroll feature, thus taking items out of the EDS database and slowing the site to a crawl. When I disabled that, he instead attempted a DoS by mass-downloading from my poor overloaded server under my computer desk : ) The 'attack' quickly stopped after my forum post with the server logs and a request to cut it out.

The original reason the site went down for a few days was my fault, though, because my IP address changed and I failed to update my name server with the new info.

In any case EDS is running well again, and I assume ext3h will get a slap on the wrist and his site will come back with API access again and we'll all go back to coexisting happily ever after. At least that's how I'd like things to work out. The EDS database turns over every 3.5 days anyway so it's really no permanent harm, I'll just see it as (unrequested) stress / vulnerability testing. I'd hate to cause the shutdown of another fan site if the owner was just messing around.

Edited by hornpipe2

I assume removal is still disabled. I accidentally added a scroll full of dead eggs and hatchlings (not mine) earlier today and could not take them out.

Edited by purplehaze

Well I won't be using EAtW anytime soon. It is pure wrong to make another site go down like that! I use EDS way more than EAtW. I think EAtW will lose quite a bit of people because of this action the admin has done.

I have to agree. I will not be using Eggs Around the World anymore. EDS is my favorite fansite and has been for a long time. It has great uptime, loads fast, rarely glitches and gets a healthy number of views.

Anyone who decides to mess with someone else's website and damage it get a giant black mark in my book.

Greg, hi...

I'm just catching up on this thread and have removed my original post recommending Eggs Around The World's inbred checker while yours was down--this is scary! ohmy.gif

Edit- clarification.

this completely.

Well, I don't really know anything about coding hatcheries or how to tamper with one (not that I'd ever want to, anyway), but from what I can gather, the owner of EDS has stated that the owner of EAtW may not have had any malicious intentions at all and could very well have just been innocently messing around without realizing the damage it was doing to another hatchery.

So let's not attack EAtW until the owner comes online and has the chance to defend himself and/or explain the reason for all of this commotion.

We don't sentence criminals until they've been given a full and fair trial, so let's extend that same reasonable doubt to EAtW, shall we?

Well, I don't really know anything about coding hatcheries or how to tamper with one (not that I'd ever want to, anyway), but from what I can gather, the owner of EDS has stated that the owner of EAtW may not have had any malicious intentions at all and could very well have just been innocently messing around without realizing the damage it was doing to another hatchery.

So let's not attack EAtW until the owner comes online and has the chance to defend himself and/or explain the reason for all of this commotion.

We don't sentence criminals until they've been given a full and fair trial, so let's extend that same reasonable doubt to EAtW, shall we?

whole heartily agrees geeez -__- its kinda of scary how people are quick to believe and cast judgment

Edited by sapphire08