TJ09

Egg/Hatchling "Status" (POLL RESET AGAIN)

How do you think this should be implemented?  

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's seeming like most people are liking it, so... an option, then? Pleeeeease don't make us HAVE to have it.

I like it. happy.gif I certainly know of a friend of mine who would benefit from this greatly.

But as others say, I think it needs an off feature too.

plz2readagain.

Eggs use "warm," "cold," etc.

Ooo...

I thought those were alternate names.

fail.

The screenshot in the News section shows hungry, and I remembered it from there... yeah...

Edited by Pa Tone

I think it is ok-ish but I really think it makes the game a lot easier, which is good in a way but also bad in a way, but I think there should definitely be the option of turning it off.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.. but where is the link to the help page? I totally forgot.. I just want to see it..

I don't feel it is something that I need or would use, but I can see how it could help new players. It might save some of those eggs that die on newbie scrolls with only a handful of views.

I would like for it to be optional, with the default set to "on" so new players wouldn't have to worry about turning it on, but those of us who don't need it and would probably find it annoying could turn it off.

The counter-point to that is that there's arguably no challenge to raising eggs the way things are now either, unfortunately. Throw them in a fansite and you're good to go.

IF you read the forum. And I've seen it stated many times that the vast majority of players do not use this forum. So they'd have to find things out for themselves.

And it doesn't remove my objection that it's too petsitey.

The counter-point to that is that there's arguably no challenge to raising eggs the way things are now either, unfortunately. Throw them in a fansite and you're good to go.

I had the impression that the challenges were not only to raise them, but to do it quickly but without making them sick or killing them from overexposure. Insufficient views don't grow them quickly, if at all.

Shortly after the hatching and growing up timing was randomized, there was some speculation on whether too many V/UV/C could actually slow down the process... and I don't recall reading any definitive conclusion (from users or the PTB).

(One of my personal frustrations is the "timer" getting down to 2/23 left before going on, despite plenty, or possibly too high stats).

Could status indicators help reduce server traffic? ... assuming at least some folks would pay attention and wouldn't exhibit their growing ones "more than necessary."

Lately, with the difficulties the more popular fansites have been having, I'm not sure the challenges have really been removed (noting recent comments about needing to post in several places in the absence of DCF, and now JD to avoid having to use the ERs).

I don't quite get the "petsite" objection, but the only other petsite I play on is Neopets... and that rather infrequently since I got here. My pets live in the hotel there. (I'm still playing here because DC has managed to remain reasonably "adult friendly" while focusing on "family friendly") laugh.gif

ETA: Having the option to turn the status indicator on or off would be excellent. Considering the variety of age/experience/skill of players, a status indicator would make the game more accessible to beginners and the very young. Experienced players would be able to ignore it by turning it off. Since success in the game is defined by each player as "scroll goals" are set, and not by the gameitself , status indication shouldn't be giving anyone an "unfair advantage."

Edited by evilcostumelady

And it doesn't remove my objection that it's too petsitey.

Except that on most pet sites (actually, every other site I've played but this one) those hunger indicators don't mean anything. Your pets never die on other sites, even if they're left "starving" for months on end.

I think this could prove useful in other ways too, and not just for new players, but maybe for the experienced player that's trying experiments. I like it whether it has an on/off function or not.

How about if there was an option to turn this on or off in Account settings? However, it defaults to "On" to help people out, and they can choose to disable it if they know what they're doing.

This. I like to run my scroll "hot" and post my eggs and hatchlings in several places, even when it's not really necessary. I do it on purpose, and my eggs/hatchlings almost never get sick, so it'd definitely bug me to always see a message telling me to slow down.

I like this. I can use it as a gauge for my hatchlings/eggs. It would be very helpful for newbies.

Will the status be on the dragon's page only or on the page and the owners scroll?

I like this. I can use it as a gauge for my hatchlings/eggs. It would be very helpful for newbies.

Will the status be on the dragon's page only or on the page and the owners scroll?

I agree. I personally would like to see this on the site. While I can take care of my eggs and hatchlings (none have ever died because they have gotten too few views), I think it would be nice. It could tell me when they need more and when to stop. smile.gif

Yes I believe this would be very useful as well. I'm still rather new to the site myself and if I hadn't checked out the forum and found out about fan sites I know I would have lost my first eggs. I didn't have any idea how many views/unique views would be needed at first.

I think this would be fabulous, preventing many dead eggs/hatchies, much worry in, and many questions from, beginners, as has already been stated by others above.

And like many, I would greatly prefer it as an option that people could turn off if they chose.

How about if there was an option to turn this on or off in Account settings? However, it defaults to "On" to help people out, and they can choose to disable it if they know what they're doing.

This please.

I voted for the "option" choice, as my first preference, but I'd be happy to see the status even if it weren't optional. After all, one wouldn't have to pay any attention, really, if it is that big a "spoiler."

I'm pretty new, and I can see where this would be very helpful to me, at least for a while. However, those who have perfected their dragon raising through long trial and error process would undoubtedly find it irritating.

Therefore, the default on, can turn it off option would, I think, keep everyone happy. However, if it's too big of a headache to code it that way - go ahead and put it on. My son does some programming, so I am aware that some things that SOUND simple to implement aren't always.

Now that the poll is updated, I voted for yes, only if there's a disable option.

I honestly do understand why some people would want this, and I'm sure it would help newbies a lot. But I don't want it. I'm sure there are other people who, like me, have taken care of their dragons just fine without it, and have certain stratagies of posting and when to post and stuff, so seeing those status when we *know* that it will turn out fine in the end would just be really annoying. And kind of insulting, because it's like it's telling me I'm not doing it right, but I know "right" can be many different ways on DC.

I don't feel it is something that I need or would use, but I can see how it could help new players. It might save some of those eggs that die on newbie scrolls with only a handful of views.

I would like for it to be optional, with the default set to "on" so new players wouldn't have to worry about turning it on, but those of us who don't need it and would probably find it annoying could turn it off.

Purple must've read my mind. laugh.gif

I doubt I'd use it, now that I've figured things out. But it might "keep the business" in the form of new users, in that they won't have to guess so much about how their eggs are doing, thus having less eggs die on them.

Of course, more users means more competition for eggs.....

Can I claim the 5th? On the grounds that I don't want incriminate myself with selfish interests? tongue.gif

this is really useful.