KaidaShade

Terry Pratchett

One month until the next book happy.gif

Just in time for my birthday too.

Edited by Fortune86

LOVE HIM! One of the best authors EVER!!!

My current reading has been to re-read (for about the hundredth time biggrin.gif ) ALL of the Discworld novels from first to last. I'm currently up to Thud.

I was slightly less impressed by Unseen Academicals, but I think it will improve on re-reading. I feel knowing who Mr Nutt is from the beginning may make the plot more interesting. I'm looking forward to it, but it is still a book and a half away.

FS

I was slightly less impressed by Unseen Academicals, but I think it will improve on re-reading. I feel knowing who Mr Nutt is from the beginning may make the plot more interesting. I'm looking forward to it, but it is still a book and a half away.

I also found Unseen Academicals to not be quite as good as the others. I've red through it several times, but I still can't but feel it lacks something.

I also found Unseen Academicals to not be quite as good as the others. I've red through it several times, but I still can't but feel it lacks something.

My hope that it will be better on the second reading, is based on the fact that I REALLY didn't like Monstrous Regiment the first time through. In fact, even after two or three readings I still thought the book was one of the weakest of all of Discworld books. However, it did eventually grow on me, and I began to "get" the story. While it is still not my favourite, I now actually do like it.

So I guess I'm hoping the same thing will happen with Unseen Academicals. I want it to get better with reading. I want to enjoy it. I love Terry's books so much I just can't stand the thought of one being so disappointing. sad.gif So I have to hope that your experience is an an anomaly, and that it does get better with time.

FS

Edited by FaolainnStorm

I just hope it's not the Alzheimer's having an effect on his work. I've always loved his books, so it would be a crying shame if his illness caused his writing to deteriorate.

Whaa~! You people actually made me wanna read this series!

I read a lot, mostly fantasy, but I haven't picked up this one yet. A lot of people have told me to read it, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Partly because i didn't know where to start, and partly because it seemed so... messy.

So I just wanna say: Thanks for giving me something to read, and let us hope it doesn't let me down!

The messiness is part of how they're fun. Each book can be read without any background information, and they're no real order you need to read them in. However, each book references pretty much all the other books, so it's fun to read as many as possible and then re-read them to find the hidden references.

I do love the series as well, but have to say that the movies they made were a little disappointing in my opinion. As favorite characters go they would be Death, Rincewind and Luggage

The movies were cheap and cheesy. Then again, having really good special FX and better acting and more drama would... kind of take away from the silliness and absurdity in the books. I don't know. I don't think that these books translate well into movies.

I loved the Hogfather movie, in fact, it's what made me end up reading the books!

I love Terry Practchett myself. I first got into his books after asking a bookstore employee if there were any authors with a similar style to Douglas Adams and Pratchett was what he recommended. I think I've read about a dozen of his books so far, though I've lost count, but in order of publication for his Discworld series I've read everything from The Color of Magic up through Witches Abroad. I've also read Strata, which really isn't a part of the Discworld series, but it's about a company that custom makes planets(sort of like Douglas Adams' Magrathea) and they set about trying to figure out how they could create a flat world.

It's really hard to say which book is my favorite out of all the ones I've read but some of my favorite characters are Rincewind, Twoflower, Death, Granny Weatherwax, and Nanny Ogg.

I've also been playing one of those old school text MUD games based on the Discworld series on and off for years and it's loads of fun. I'm actually surprised that no one else has mentioned this game so far, but if anyone wants any information on it, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

I love Terry Practchett myself. I first got into his books after asking a bookstore employee if there were any authors with a similar style to Douglas Adams and Pratchett was what he recommended. I think I've read about a dozen of his books so far, though I've lost count, but in order of publication for his Discworld series I've read everything from The Color of Magic up through Witches Abroad. I've also read Strata, which really isn't a part of the Discworld series, but it's about a company that custom makes planets(sort of like Douglas Adams' Magrathea) and they set about trying to figure out how they could create a flat world.

It's really hard to say which book is my favorite out of all the ones I've read but some of my favorite characters are Rincewind, Twoflower, Death, Granny Weatherwax, and Nanny Ogg.

I've also been playing one of those old school text MUD games based on the Discworld series on and off for years and it's loads of fun. I'm actually surprised that no one else has mentioned this game so far, but if anyone wants any information on it, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

What game is this?

Well as I said, it's a text based MUD(multi user dungeon) or some would describe it as a text MMORPG. This means that there's no graphics to the game unless you count ASCII maps. Everything is written out and all actions have to be typed in as commands. I'm sure it sounds dull to someone that's used to playing graphical games like WoW, but it is a lot of fun and if you have a good imagination you can do a lot more with it than you can do with a graphical game.

Here's the website for the game, it has some general info and FAQs, plus descriptions of the various guilds someone can join in the game. http://discworld.atuin.net/lpc/

Well as I said, it's a text based MUD(multi user dungeon) or some would describe it as a text MMORPG. This means that there's no graphics to the game unless you count ASCII maps. Everything is written out and all actions have to be typed in as commands. I'm sure it sounds dull to someone that's used to playing graphical games like WoW, but it is a lot of fun and if you have a good imagination you can do a lot more with it than you can do with a graphical game.

Here's the website for the game, it has some general info and FAQs, plus descriptions of the various guilds someone can join in the game. http://discworld.atuin.net/lpc/

Looks fun, but knowing myself i'd probably get confused and lose interest pretty fast.

Thanks, anyways.

I've actually heard of this. Never played though.

This thread just made my day.

I'm totally going to try out that game at some point.

Just found out there is a new Vimes novel in the works!

*Is so happy she could almost kiss Nobby*

there's whaaaa-- oh right.

according to the Wikipedia article, the working title is "Snuff", it'll be mostly about Vimes, and snuff has at least two meanings. And from the excerpt read, there are Goblins and the story starts with Vimes and Sybil going on a holiday. :3 I am intrigued and excited. Very excited. Especially because it's supposed to be the next book published.

Edited by Lightningstreak

The only two meanings of 'snuff' that I can think of relate to 'snuff boxes' and 'snuffing' some one or something out, i.e, killing it.

Snuff movies? wink.gif

Vimes & Vetinari: Don't even THINK about it...

I don't think Discworld's last venture into the land of film went all that well. I don't think they'll be trying anything like that anytime soon.

I saw the photographic cover of Going Postal a few days ago... Blondey-reddy Vetinari? Take it away from me before my eyes melt! *claws*

Speaking of tabacco, I heard the newest book involved Commander Vimes getting lung cancer... Or trying to ditch the cigars...

Not really.