Gyps13

Increase in Inbox Size?

I do support this, as IPBs have customizable PM inboxes, as far as I recall. The default seems to be 50 though. smile.gif

Although, for IOUs, I suggest using the "Notepad" feature inside the control panel, so that you can delete the PMs which are used to track IOUs. That way, even if this suggestion doesn't take flight, there is less worry about inboxes getting filled too quickly.

I support this too!

Since I have a lot of IOU's I owe or other people owe, I get a lot of pms and send a lot of them. Every time I have to go in and delete to make room for new pms. Even 50 more slots would be lovely. smile.gif

I support this too! When I have a lot of trades going all together it happens to me to clear the inbox twice in a day; doing this is boring itself, but if you add that my email box is really stubborn in opening attached archives you can understand how seeing my Inbox get full is something really bad for me.

I would be grateful even if we get to have 10 more PMs (even if I wish for a little more tongue.gif) and I think that the idea of increase the Inbox's capacity as the user level increases is great but... has this whole suggestion really a chance to be considered? I see this thread is here since 2009...

This is basically what every other reply on this forum says, but I'd definitely love that. I'm always having to clear my inbox. >.< I wonder though, how much data do you think it'd use to double the number of inbox messages? It'd be really annoying if they doubled it and that made the site slow down. It runs pretty fast for me, and there's nothing I hate more than lag. DX

Although, I'm not really sure how data and that kind of stuff works, so I may be completely wrong and maybe something like adding more inbox space wouldn't affect the browsing speed at all. ^^;

This is basically what every other reply on this forum says, but I'd definitely love that. I'm always having to clear my inbox. >.< I wonder though, how much data do you think it'd use to double the number of inbox messages? It'd be really annoying if they doubled it and that made the site slow down. It runs pretty fast for me, and there's nothing I hate more than lag. DX

Although, I'm not really sure how data and that kind of stuff works, so I may be completely wrong and maybe something like adding more inbox space wouldn't affect the browsing speed at all. ^^;

I know nothing about this sort of thing myself, but I've seen several comments to the effect of even much larger inboxes placing very little burden on systems in other sites...

YES PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE x74629472972810 >_< I'm sick and tired of having to do spring cleaning in my inbox so frequently. Increase in inbox size would definitely benefit SCORES of users. And furthermore, people who put "pm for breeding requests" in their siggie would need it more than others. Breeding requests can pile up very quickly, and breeders would have to keep at least one pm of each request as a reminder. However, if the inbox size is so limited, breeders would find it rather inconvenient.

Yesyesyes PLEASE! I do quite a bit of trading, and even after I clear out all the PMs I don't need, I do like to hang on to a few important trades. This would be awesome!

Definitely in support of this. I'm not a very busy PMer but I'm both a packrat and slightly OCD about organization, so DCF's PM system gets on my nerves. I do keep track of things like IOUs and gifts in a document on my computer, but sometimes I forget or things change too quickly.

Maybe, instead of just considering an increase in size, also consider other ways of organizing things? Not that I know anything about how the system works, but on another forum I frequent, all conversations are threaded into one neat package, instead of sending you a copy of what you had (with all the quotes from previous messages in the conversation) plus the new stuff. So it comes out a bit like a forum thread, and you can quote people for clarity if you like but you don't have to because all the previous messages are there for you to look at anyway.

For those who have used multiple email providers including Gmail, it's just like that. Gmail threads your conversations so that you only have one "message" for each conversation in your inbox. To compare, the other forum I'm on is like Gmail, and DCF is like Hotmail (and maybe others - it's what I have experience with).

If the PMs here were managed like on Gmail, it'd eliminate the outbox copy as well as any older versions of messages that aren't up to date. If it were possible for the system to manage that kind of thing, it would alleviate the trouble of manually managing your PMs all the time, and also save a lot of space/data taken up by near-copies of messages and so on. Win-win!

Am I making any sense? I'm terrible at explaining this xd.png Just think, if the messages tacked "Re:" onto the front of the subject line every time you sent back, you'd quickly see how long the threads get. Sometimes I have to clear the "quotes" in a message because it's just gotten so long, meaning I have to then keep two copies of a message because it's in two parts.

I support this.

I mean, I know that it would take up space, but how about you get additional storage space depending on your level?

I mean, level 0, 1, and 2 rarely fill up their boxes, or even get notifications often. However, people like me, a level 6 ( I think ) dump out my inbox weekly. I can only assume it gets worse for people in 9 and 10.

That way, we can dole out storage space to those who can truly use them.

Also, approvers should have unlimited space, like mods.

EDIT: I'm only a level four? blink.gif

Edited by thegreenrobby

We don't have unlimited space. When I was a normal moderator. I had room for 100 PMs.

Saying that, I still emptied my inbox about every 3-5 days. o.0;

I have been watching this thread since it was started and have been hoping to hear something official. So far, nothing it seems. I really hope this goes through. It sure would be nice to not have to obsess so much over whether or not my box is full, not to mention whether or not I'm going to be able to reach people I owe dragons to when the time comes to send them. Hmm... I have another idea... *bounces off to post*

I really would love more space in my inbox tongue.gif

I think the higher your posting level, The more PMs

Example

Level. PM Limit.

1. 50

2. 50

3. 50

4. 60

5. 75

6. 80

7. 90

8. 100

9. 125

10. 150

Approver. 200

Sec. Mod. 500

Glob. Mod. 1000

Admin (TJ). Unlimited

Well, as much as I would love a larger PM box, it would still fill up eventually. Mine usually runs at a constant 70-80% full, but I clean out my inbox fairly regularly, so it's not much of a problem. We certainly do't need unlimited space.

I support everyone else and their moms that my inbox gets full way too often--and I'm hardly super-popular on the forums. X___x

I don't think inboxes take up that much space. It's just text--and if microsoft word files and the sheer amount of posts on this forum are any indication, text doesn't take up a great deal of data. I don't need unlimited space, certainly, but double or even triple the current amount would be great.

I think we'd have to make our own solutions, Like have folks email folks for breeding requests.

I see no reason for that unless inbox size increases would use up a lot of data--and as people have been saying, I don't think that's the case for sure.

Also I don't mind breeding people things if they PM me through the forums, but I'd really rather not share my personal email. It's a lot easier to have a little message alert every time I check the forums than having to slog through my messy real email to find requests, and... well heck, it's my personal email, I'd just rather not have it publically displayed on a forum.

I see no reason for that unless inbox size increases would use up a lot of data--and as people have been saying, I don't think that's the case for sure.

Also I don't mind breeding people things if they PM me through the forums, but I'd really rather not share my personal email. It's a lot easier to have a little message alert every time I check the forums than having to slog through my messy real email to find requests, and... well heck, it's my personal email, I'd just rather not have it publically displayed on a forum.

If we ever need to go that route - create one for that purpose. I have - a lot (alot.png) of email addresses - including two that I can bin at any time they start to be a problem.

If we ever need to go that route - create one for that purpose. I have - a lot (alot.png) of email addresses - including two that I can bin at any time they start to be a problem.

It's still a lot easier to be alerted instantly through the forums then to have to go over to a different site to sort through emails daily to see if I've recieved anything.

I'd love to have some extra space in my mailbox. *supports*