Gyps13

Increase in Inbox Size?

Perhaps the sent box and inbox could be separate? Or perhaps a saved folder?

Perhaps the sent box and inbox could be separate? Or perhaps a saved folder?

On InvisionFree forums, there's an option to back up your PMs. I'm not sure if that's also available here... I've never needed to use it before.

I support an increase in inbox size (or at least an increase in size for some people including mods).

It's not that I'd say no to new space, but I've found that archiving my PMs works well enough. I have a folder in my email account set up so that DC messages go directly there and when I archive the messages as HTML they arrive as two attachments (inbox/sent) and I can either look at them online or download and save them.

If I have messages that I don't need to respond to right away, but I'd like to keep more on hand for a bit, then I archive all my messages, delete all the ones I don't need on hand, re-archive them and save that document to my computer.

True, it's not as easy as expanding the inbox, but I could see where, with a forum this busy, that might not be possible. Also, I'll be honest here, I have an inbox at another site where I have space for 400 PMs, and I'm always hovering around 350 because there's no compelling reason to clean it out. So while I'm sure that some people would clean a larger PM box out every week for new messages, I think that a lot of people would just let them build up because instead of hovering near 40 all the time they could constantly hover around 80. And that might be a problem.

Edited by skauble

I get way more PMs as a mod than I did as a user. |D

I don't think an increase could really hurt, could it?

For this. I don't use PMs all that much, but when I do I find myself very limited and having to clean my inbox out when I'd rather keep messages.

For The Mentoring Project, a larger inbox would really be helpful. We are often working on a number of mentor applications at a time and being able to keep more active pms available would make it easier, but we are presently working on another way of dealing with the application process in the hope that that will help the problem.

I have been thinking that I would really love more PM space, too. I don't use it all that often, but when I do it seems to fill up very quickly. .___.;

I agree, when I do use it, it fills fast. I would be happy with just another 30 really... heck 20-25 more would be great....

i agree with this. when i get a lot of messages, it fills up so fast, and i hate cleaning it out, because i accidently delete thing that i don't want to delete.

I came here after being on a forum with a max of 15,000 messages. You can't even believe how abysmally tiny 50 max seems. :/ Especially seeing as this forum greatly discourages chatting in threads-- yet to carry on a decent convo in PMs, you'd have to clear out your inbox every few minutes!

Agreed. My box, especially with people i tutor, has been filling so quickly that i have to delete my messages everyday, and even then after removing the older stuff i still have 30-50% used.

Archive the ones you want to keep. This came up a while ago and server space was said to be an issue...

As far as I can tell, if you archive them, they still count for space. Did I do something wrong? D|

I also support this, but would add that if it is too much server space to increase storage, making the clicky box for the 'save sent message' option work the other way would be great-- ie you have to click it if you want to save it, instead of having to remember to click it if you don't want to. I never remember to click the thing and then the space gets used up twice as fast!

As far as I can tell, if you archive them, they still count for space. Did I do something wrong? D|

NO, SockGoddess, you NEVER do anything wrong.

I wasn't clear. BAD FUZZ.

Archive them; you then get them in an email you can save on your machine (or in your on line storage) - and then delete them here.

I also support this, but would add that if it is too much server space to increase storage, making the clicky box for the 'save sent message' option work the other way would be great-- ie you have to click it if you want to save it, instead of having to remember to click it if you don't want to. I never remember to click the thing and then the space gets used up twice as fast!

I agree with this 100%

If it wasn't for me making a habit of always un-checking that box, my inbox would be full within a day.

For me this dosent matter but for those im looking at this dose seam to be a good request. Expecaly people who are involded in many things here. Maybe have an option for those who feel they may need a biger inbox cuz i know I can deal with a very small one.

I agree with this 100%

If it wasn't for me making a habit of always un-checking that box, my inbox would be full within a day.

You can choose which way you want it set as default for you....

You can choose which way you want it set as default for you....

You can choose to always or never track a message by default, but for some reason there's no option for always or never sending a copy to your box. Unless I've missed something? D|

Crumbs. So you can't. The other invision board I'm on you can; I never looked as I usually keep them till I archive.....