Gyps13

Increase in Inbox Size?

If it's about lineage projects, and who you're breeding what for, may I recommend expanding your Notepad to Large? Or keeping track with a google site? Or on a legal pad IRL? I can personally attest to the usefulness of all three, no matter what you need the space for.

Already done, unfortunately, and I still don't have enough space. sad.gif

Granted, I understand not everyone is as busy as some of us that have posted here. But someone mentioned the option of an inbox that increases as your "level" increases. If there truly is concern about the forum breaking down (which I haven't yet seen), then this might be the best solution.

Of course, I know very little about how boards work, but I can't see an extra 25-50 spaces for people being that big of a deal. If it truly that bid of a deal, then perhaps something else needs to be done.

I could very well have misunderstood/inaccurately remembered this, but I seem to remember various comments from TJ saying that the actual site capacity itself (probably not using an appropriate term) had not been exceeded even in major Lag incidents.

An increase in inbox size to something more in line with those of other sites might very well use more space, but since the amount allowed is grossly inadequate for many of us, the problem should be addressed.

I made a rough count of names in my in and out boxes the other day, and I'm currently dealing with about 30 people, mostly regarding gifting/trading - I need the info and addresses handy and I have a lousy memory...

I have copies of multiple letters (a relative few of those involved) in my draft files that I actually can't be bothered to go digging up on multiple occasions when I'm trying to remember some detail having to with which dragon? which person? amid a flurry of others involving multiple future trades.

When I have a record handy in the form of PM exchanges between that person and myself in my DC in/outboxes, where the info can be easily located and the person immediately contacted if necessary, it's a whole different ball game.

But there's no room...

I had a PM today from someone whose dragon's I'd planned to keep an eye on while she was away, in order to post any that might need it - just in time to ER one in its last day.

She couldn't get through to Soti's and it was lucky she was able to get a PM through to me.

She may have sent a reminder notice, and I might very well have read it 1st thing upon getting up, prior to frantically making enough room for some incoming messages, thinking that of course I'd remember hers.

But although I've been watching over and posting several other people's dragons in fansites during this time, because the lack of inbox space prevented my keeping ANY of her messages, the whole thing got lost in the shuffle.

I need remainders of such things to be handy, right where they're easily seen/reviewed to trigger memory - i.e., in my DC inbox.

Also, I send basic/fansite info to new people having problems, sometimes several in a day, and some of these write back with further questions or to let me know it's helped.

I find that I often must delete even info I need in a big hurry, because my inbox fills even as I attempt to answer messages, and I don't know what may be getting bounced off - or what's been missed whenever I wake up to a full inbox, and I am a long way from being the only one with such problems - it's been a sore point for a long time, and for a growing number of people and can seriously affect game play.

Gifting/trading is a VERY important part of the game to a large number of us, essential to many - and not only those with slow computers, poor connections, physical disabilities or other issues making the acquisition of more desirable eggs through egg catching difficult/virtually impossible.

With the introduction of our wonderful new lineage checker on every page, (thanks TJ!) there has been an explosion of interest in lineages such as the Thuwed and Dorkface lines, and also in the visual appearance of lineages regarding dragon colour and type.

A good deal of the interest in dragon collecting - in the game itself - would be destroyed for many of us without the ability to trade for different dragons and, for many, to share the results with others and/or promote these lines by gifting.

The lack of adequate inbox space is essentially a lack in the provision of a basic tool required for what many of us regard as an aspect integral to our game play.

How about this. Set up a email specifically for dc and use that as your inbox. That was what I did for when I was on pokeplushies before and the inbox there was so tiny. I think we had around 30 messages there. Not quite sure, but I remember it as even tinier than dc's inbox size. Find ways around the limits. I don't think we'll get a bigger inbox so find ways around it. Like set up a gmail for your dc stuff

I support the motion for a larger inbox if it's feasible for the server. Otherwise I'll just have to clear messages as they come through, which isn't that big a deal yet...

The ideas everyone is giving are good ones...But none as good as just a larger inbox. I use our 2 home computers, the 10 local library computers, and the 12 school computers in the library on a regular basis. I'm not likely to have a physical notepad, word document, or anything consistently in all those places like I do have an inbox here. And an additional email is just inconvenient for me. I have 4 emails already (and likely to grow as I enter the work and college scene to separate leisure and business), plus various forum accounts with inboxes, a facebook, and so on. I just don't have time to check that many things, I already don't check many regularly. Not to mention it's inconvenient for others. Who would pick the trade where you have to converse through emails when they could click the PM button on a post just a few below yours and not have to deal with the confusion?

Edited by 00n0b0dy

Yes please! I almost missed a LiT because my inbox was full.

Messages can't take up that much space on the server...

And mods aren't the only ones who get many PMs a day.

Pulling this back up to the front, I don't want it buried. I'd like to reiterate my desire for this to be enacted if possible. I cleared out all requests and responses to them just a couple days ago and moved them to my profile, but I'm still deleting messages as I get them. More space would be great :/

At the rate I receive PMs, I have to clear my inbox once a week.

Then this should be a no brainer for you! tongue.gifwink.gif

At the rate I receive PMs, I have to clear my inbox once a week.

Wait! Once a week? With mentoring and trading for lineages and such I have to clean mine out almost daily!

Then this should be a no brainer for you! tongue.gifwink.gif

If I have to clear it once a week, most peoples' boxes should fill up much slower.

If you have to clear it once a day, then you're getting too many PMs.

If I have to clear it once a week, most peoples' boxes should fill up much slower.

I'm a packrat. biggrin.gif But I do need the info on the ones I keep, but that leaves little space for new PMs.

I'm not constantly clearing out my inbox, but it's a real annoying problem to go to your inbox, click delete, and if you have special messages saved, then you have to go through them, and on, and on, and on... so I'd love having a bigger inbox.

Wait! Once a week? With mentoring and trading for lineages and such I have to clean mine out almost daily!

Almost daily? xd.png If I sat on messages until my box was full and cleaned it, I'd still be clearing it a minimum of twice a day. On most days several times more than that xd.png

Once a week... wow... I'd have thought Teej would have to clean it like 5 times a day...

I have to clean it like once every three weeks...

I propose we do 100 messages at least...

Almost every time I get messages, I have to quickly delete previous ones from the same person, (assuming the information I need is supplied in the most recent one,) and sometimes others as well, as PMs from different people come in - this simply to assure room for new incoming messages.

When I copy important info to delete messages I don't want to, it's out of site and therefore out of sight and often mind.

What constitutes 'too many PMs' when a lot of mutual gifting/trading and scroll watching, etc. is going on, much of the gifting/trading being future and important to accurately bear in mind?

(Edit: and important to also remember replies from new people sent info/advice, although I somehow forgot just now to include that, despite it not being unusual to send some to several different people in a day.)

I'm always terrified I'll forget I owe somebody something, and can't always remember what I have coming in, with recalcitrant dragons too-often taking weeks to successfully breed/eggs lost in transit...

Yes, I have (hopefully accurate) notes of what lineage dragons I need to breed for whom, and of various non-lineage 'extras' I'll need to breed at some point, but - being so certain I'd remember the lovely dragons I had coming - not necessarily of what's coming in.

So much better to have this handy onsite with other such pertinent matters...

Edited by Syphoneira

How big is your inbox?? blink.gif

I've managed to get my messages under 30. Barely. And that's only because I've stopped offering gifts and trades for the time being, since I'm going to be gone. But seriously, during a busy breeding week I easily get up to 44-48 PMs by the end of the day. I clear out all duplicates, and don't keep a copy of reply. And I'm still cleaning out the inbox everyday.

Would it be at all possible to implement something like the suggested level=inbox size up idea, but monitor people's usage and users that use X amount of space in A amount of time have the option to (or it can be automatic) decrease their PM box size and users that often have high storage and deletion rates can have the extra?

Probably not feasible, but eh, one can dream.

I'm a user that keeps my box empty, I don't have much I save and I'm not in many projects that require that much communication, I'd gladly donate my space to someone that works this site and needs it.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare TJ to regular users. I assume most of your PMs are either new people asking questions or spriters, and that, being an admin, you have a huge box (seeing as how mods have bigger boxes than users). Plus, TJ, you're not as deeply involved in the forum every day workings as Mentors or people that orchestrate huge amounts of trades. No off, because we luff our dragon master, but still.

I don't get a lot of messages either, but there are times I want to keep a message and can't because it causes my box to fill. I also delete my sent messages to help clean out things.

I support bigger inboxes, mine fills up like mad. I'm constantly having to empty it.

Perhaps specific users could be given bigger inboxes on request. That way, space isn't wasted (if that's even an issue) on people like me who never get PMs, and people who get PMs a lot can have the space they need.