Gyps13

Increase in Inbox Size?

I apologize if this was mentioned before; I couldn't find it on search, but search doesn't like me. dry.gif

I can't remember if someone mentioned this in the Community Opinion thread, but is there any chance we could get an increase in the size of our Inboxes? I find mine fills up really fast, and I'm usually emptying it ever other day or 2. Yes, I do conduct a lot of trades, so that is why I'm asking. Even another 50 messages would be useful.

Just a thought.

Yes, please, or at least make it so that Sent messages don't count toward the limit and get automatically deleted at some point (unless you choose to save them).

Yes, please, or at least make it so that Sent messages don't count toward the limit and get automatically deleted at some point (unless you choose to save them).

yesplease.

I know that mods have increased inboxes, so I don't see why the members can't have them...

The only reason I think they can't is to save space.

I'd like a larger messagebox, I have to clean mine out regularly.

On a related note, I was wondering if you get a pop-up warning or something when your inbox is full. I sometimes pm people and get a message that their inbox is full, and everytime I wonder if they're aware of the problem.

OMG yes! I am constantly cleaning out my inbox with all the trades I'm doing...

On a related note, I was wondering if you get a pop-up warning or something when your inbox is full. I sometimes pm people and get a message that their inbox is full, and everytime I wonder if they're aware of the problem.

The "X New Messages" link turns into "Inbox FULL" or something like that. It's a change, but it's not the most glaringly obvious, if you're not looking for it.

I'd love more space, too.

Me, too, please - I'm always having to delete, too often after unsuccessfully trying to send something, because more messages have come in while doing so.

Agreed! Especially now that I am mentoring several new members, plus communicating with the other thread monitors on The Mentoring Project. I have had to delete messages that I really needed to save, just to make room for others. And don't suggest archiving, because that does not really solve the problem. You cannot do anything with an archived message except read it.

It was bad enough before, when all I was using it for was arranging trades and stuff, but it is much, much worse now!!!

I'm so glad to know its not just me. laugh.gif

I'm in the same boat as purple. There are messages I want to hang onto, which automatically cuts out 1/4 of my inbox. 50 message limit is just so.... small.... sad.gif

Uggh, YES, please. I get a lot of PM's, as I participate in trading a lot, and it's amazing how fast my inbox fills up. And I want to save all the PM's I get.

Well, you have to look at both sides. The primary reason for the lack of inbox space, is because of the sheer number of members on this forum. To double the inbox size would double the amount of potential data space that a user can take up.

I'm in support of the idea in general, but I'm not sure how practical it may be, when a member can simply keep on emptying out their inbox. May have to do it often, but it definitely saves space.

I support that!

When I was a user, the smaller inbox size absolutely killed me. For people trading, helping newcomers, answering questions, participating in projects/topics or just running things (basically just being an active user), the amount of mail you get can be a real problem. Sometimes it's just not feasible to be emptying your inbox every day, especially if there's important messages you need to save or things that can take more than 24 hours to sort out.

If possible, I think it would help a lot of users out.

-----

For those waiting for a larger inbox, here's some things I did to try and alleviate the inbox problem:

For simple pms, don't wait to 'answer them later', answer them asap and delete the pm once you've replied to it. Holding on to pms you've already responded to them takes up valuable space and can be confusing when you come to respond to mass pms later on.

After replying to pms make sure you delete pms in your outbox. Sent items take up 'inbox space' too.

For those that ARE important and you need to save, create subfolders so you can sort your pms. You can do this by going to your inbox and selecting "Edit Storage Folders". You can then add further folders to sort the mail you do get into more manageable chunks.

For those who get a lot of pms about the same/similar things, why not create a 'standard' response. I know it can seem lazy or 'impersonal', but when recieving pms relatively en masse about the sameish thing, quick responses can allow you to move onto more difficult/time consuming answers. This could be useful for those in the Monitoring Project, or people who have to accept/decline things. You can always personalise the response more after you've pasted the template.

And...that's all I can think of to try and cope with the inbox thing until a better solution can be reached.

-----

And could mods have maybe like a space for 25 more or something? I still get swamped with pms, and I clear it out as often as possible, but with descriptions, topics etc, say an increase to 25/50+ would be really useful. But it's bearable. I think it would be more important for users to get more space as a priority.

Edited by Terriah

Yes please! I don't even PM a lot and my inbox gets full so fast it's not even funny!

I beg you... I get at least 5 PMs every day because of my projects... A bigger inbox would be great.

Maybe with every level increase your inbox size would increase? That way newbies who don't post at all don't take up a lot of space with huge, empty inboxes?

Tiny bump.

Just curious, TJ if you're reading this thread or a mod who might know.....

Exactly how much space would this take up? Yes, I realize it would be "twice as much". But how much exactly is twice as much?

Another tiny bump, since its been 6 days.

Maybe with every level increase your inbox size would increase? That way newbies who don't post at all don't take up a lot of space with huge, empty inboxes?

I think that would make sense. The more you post, the more people know who you are that would need to pm you.

Somehow I think I screwed up that sentence.

I support this. I PM people back and forth for various things including spriting and TGT stuff, and since sometimes a PM gets eaten by the server, I've gotten into the habit of keeping all the PMs in my inbox until whatever we're talking about is finished... Whether it's adding a list on The Giving Tree or sending someone sprite outlines before posting in the thread, I usually keep it in my inbox until it appears in a thread somewhere.

That said, you can only imagine how full my inbox is sometimes. If the limit was changed to 100, that'd be so much more help. And I like Umbreon97's idea of higher levels getting more space (though that may be because I'm already level 10 ), but it does make sense. The more posts you've made, the more likely it is that you'll be using your PM box more often.

I support this too. Mine is constantly full answering PL questions and whatnot, along with general chatting and stuff. Even after removing PM's, i'm still at like 70%. xd.png

The fact that sending something adds to it makes it even worse.