Hiei101

Final Fantasy

I couldn't even find the train station for the looooongest time in my first couple playthrus.

/lame

If you mean that train station behind G-Garden that you have to get to after you visit that place for the first time... ()*&@#)$(*Y&@#)(*$&()*#Y$&)(*^%@*(#$(*!!!!!!!!!!!! <-avoiding censor-kipz

That is the one true time I got lost in FF8. And ended up leveling the SNOT out of my characters. I made it all the way down to the cliffs and river system that segregate the Winhill region from the rest of Galbadia before I thought to go back to the garden and check around it again... and by that time, I couldn't locate the forest you go through to get back there. dry.gif

Next time I played the game through, though... flippin' found my way around like a champ.

If you mean that train station behind G-Garden that you have to get to after you visit that place for the first time... ()*&@#)$(*Y&@#)(*$&()*#Y$&)(*^%@*(#$(*!!!!!!!!!!!! <-avoiding censor-kip

No, I mean the first train station. The very first. In the first city. When you first become a Seed. Yarly.

I also spent far too long running around the mountains going "WHERE THE HELL IS TRABIA GARDEN DAMNIT?!"

Edited by NixAyum

*Has all versions of Sephy's theme on Ipod*

I have the Advent Children remix and that's it. However I have all of Zack's themes (or at least that is what Square Enix says most of the Crisis Core songs are) on my ipod.

The main problem was I kept getting pushed off the platform

I beat that part quite easily, but the problem I had was when he kept using Heartless Angel. He would always attack me right afterward when I still had only one health point left.

No, I mean the first train station. The very first. In the first city. When you first become a Seed. Yarly.

blink.gif

Balamb's train station...?!?

Woah. xd.png (actually, I can see that. If you aren't talking to every last person there is, I suppose it can be fairly easy to miss.)

It was the silly G-Garden one that made me lose my faith in Hyne. The fact that the train station was RIGHT BEHIND ME (insert massive amount of cursing here for those of you with vivid imaginations) and the camera angle prevented me from seeing it and sent me on a 15+ hour excursion across the Galbadian continent... dry.gif

I also spent far too long running around the mountains going "WHERE THE HELL IS TRABIA GARDEN DAMNIT?!"

(won't confess that she may have done something quite similar IRT T-Garden and the shumi village... and that she literally ran the world 3 times over on chocobo-back looking for their stupid sanctuary that you CAN'T LAND THE RAGNOROK AT GRRRRR)

Ah, such a wonderful game. (goes back to her stupidly-high hour game so she can drop fat chocobos on blue dragons on the Island Closest to Hell some more) Gotta head back to the chocobo sanctuary soon - I'm running out of greens.

Speaking of greens, that was the only thing I really loved about FF7. Breeding and racing chocobos. Because Laguna the blue chocobo had the most retarded luck ever for being a lousy, worthless bird, then produced Squall, the most vicious and awesome black chocobo ever (who granted me my first victory against Tejoh, the racer in the sombrero). (as you can tell, I only bothered with the chocobo breeding/getting Knights of the Round on consecutive plays of FF7 - when I was researching for fanfiction and trying to see if years of abstaining from the game would change my initial 'meh' reaction (it didn't)) Those were the best memories I have of FF7. Well, that and beating Ruby Weapon thanks to hitting the "Game Over" limit break with Cait Sith.

FF8 was ultimately more satisfying when I pummeled the snot out of the Card Queen herself to finish up my card collection on Disc 4 - and when I first dropped a fat chocobo - and when I devoured my first Malboro - and witness that beautiful ending sequence (Square actually made a HAPPY ending! Le gasp!) - and fight the ruby dragon with Laguna (seriously, that scene makes me giggle every damned time I see it, no matter how many times I've played through the game). Because c'mon, what's more awesome than rag-time piano coupled with a ruby dragon fight that's a side-scrolling adventure? laugh.gif

Oh, and another reason I love FF8 over its predecessor and its follower, FF9? You can land the Ragnorok danged near anywhere. No grass required to put it on the ground. TAKE THAT, HIGHWIND AND HILDA GARDE 3! (alright, so the Invincible can be landed in nearly as many places as the Rag. Foo. Hence why I don't loath FF9 airships with any fiery passion... entirely. The Hilda Garde still sucks.)

Edited by Wends

Well, that and beating Ruby Weapon thanks to hitting the "Game Over" limit break with Cait Sith.

Awesome xd.pngxd.pngxd.pngxd.png

Ooh ooh ooh did anyone here ever get The End with Selphie in 8? I want to go back and do that one day.

And it's super minor, but does anyone remember what Laguna was told by his teammate if you ask what happened to the lady singer who sings "Eyes On Me" in Galbadia? (/can't remember names for crap)

Heck yeah, I've seen 'The End'. It's awesome. Flower fields, butterflies, monsters and cursive scrawls of 'The End' with the most pretty little chiming sounds ever. xd.png I LOVE Selphie.

(though I like 'Rapture' better, because T-Rexaurs look completely awesome with little tiny angel wings on their backs. laugh.gif )

Kiros and Ward... IRT what they say to Laguna... I'll have to fire it up again, but basically they tell him "That was a -3 on the manliness scale" and mock him until the end of time. xd.png That's after he attempts to approach her at the inn when she's playing.

Later in the game, however... (which I do believe is what you were referring to - it's late and I wasn't paying that much attention)

The lady singer is Julia Heartily. She never actually sings the song until after she's approached by Laguna (she was just a pianist that played at the inn before that). He left after his brief encounter with her, and she waited for a little while for him before deciding 'the hell with this' and settling down with General Caraway (Rinoa's father). She dies when Rinoa's... 5, I believe. I'll have to play that portion of the game again to verify that (or dig out the Ultimania and my Japanese to English dictionary, which is a TON of work).

You hear about the eventual fate of Julia from Kiros when he meets up with Laguna again in Winhill after the attack at Lunatic Pandora (otherwise known in the Laguna flashacks as "Centra excavation site" or something to that nature) that almost got Kiros and Ward killed and sent Laguna over a cliff-face and being picked up by shumi, hence their odd worship of the very odd man. smile.gif

I can be much more specific if desired, but it's late and I'm in the middle of my FF8 disc 4 chocobo-dropping on the Island Closest to Hell between bouts of Robot Unicorn Attack. tongue.gif

Edited by Wends

The lady singer is Julia Heartily. She never actually sings the song until after she's approached by Laguna (she was just a pianist that played at the inn before that). He left after his brief encounter with her, and she waited for a little while for him before deciding 'the hell with this' and settling down with General Caraway (Rinoa's father). She dies when Rinoa's... 5, I believe.

This be what I was looking for, thankies. :3

Kinda sad, but it's somehow a very pretty story.

Is it any good i havnt played it yet but i have played the 12th one and beat the whole thing and from what i heard its kind of a continuation to the story is that true

I think Raine dying was sadder.

It was. :c The end scene with Laguna leaving made me cry so much.

I'm kinda mad at Laguna about that. He finds out that his wife died and sends both his son and his ward to an orphanage?

I'm kinda mad at Laguna about that. He finds out that his wife died and sends both his son and his ward to an orphanage?

And this is why I always say that Squall has more believable issues than any other Final Fantasy hero. This right here.

Because that is potentially the most asinine thing anyone could've done to their own kid. dry.gif

('course, though, I don't know if the developers thought for a moment about the kind of totally screwed up world they made with FF8 - it's a psychologist's practical wet-dream with as many DSM issues that're floating around in it. Did they ever think about the fact that their 'protagonists' were a bunch of teenage murderers raised in an institute designed to brainwash them into servitude from their youth? Pro'lly not.)

I can understand that he wanted to keep Squall and Ellone safe, but surely as President he wields enough power to do that? And how come he never went to go and see his son? Surely he could have taken a day off now again, at least on Birthdays. Squall doesn't even know who he is for most of his life.

I always thought Laguna never knew Raine was preggo. If the end scene is right, she's not showing yet, so I just figured she found out after he left and was never able to tell him. The town never liked Laguna, right? So they sent the kids to the orphanage.

And then I don't know how Laguna found out about all this, so...bad fantheory. :B

Laguna might not have wanted to keep at least Ellone there because of the mad scientist that was all "GIMME WANT EXPERIMENT NYARGH".

Before he was just a worker, but then he was put in charge of the entire country/city. I'm sure if he had wanted to, he would have been able to keep Ellone safe. Plus Dr Odine was experimenting on Ellone under Adel's orders.

The townsfolk may not have liked Laguna, but they knew and liked Ellone and Raine.

How old was Squall when Raine died?

Well, Odine was more than a little off his rocker, iirc, and still wanted Ellone to experiment with. And if Laguna's busy being president, and with how somewhat all over the place he already was, not exactly the best atmosphere to raise a pair of kids in. Yes, he cared about them, but if they would have been safer elsewhere I think he would have done what he thought was best for them. And even if the town did like Ellone, once Raine was gone the tie was thin, and Laguna having an interest in Ellone and being Squall's father they might have been afraid the kids would draw him back, this time maybe permanently to raise them. So they send them away, because they dislike Laguna more than they like Ellone?

I always just thought she died in childbirth.

I don't think they actually hated Laguna, just didn't think much of him.

Besides, if Laguna couldn't protect one little girl from one mad scientist as President, why the hell did they give him the job? Surely he was capable of that?

I can't remember, it's been that long since I played. I was sure she died of an illness....

The game never went into how/when she died. All we know is that she died young, as Squall was at the orphanage at a young age and she was quite dead before he went there as Ellone expositions at the Lunar Observatory. (We know he was at the orphanage from a young age owing to the fact that Ellone was taken away from it when he was roughly 4-5 years of age).

I know that it took Laguna a long time to rescue Ellone, so I'm sure that Squall spent some time with his mother before she died, if only a few months.

They were kinda hard up for people to make president though, remember? Laguna joined the resistance a really short time before they sealed Adel (who looks awfully masculine for a sorceress ._.) and someone Laguna rescued admitted they didn't know what to do after, so might as well give it to the hero who saved them.

Again, iirc. I just beat it this past summer so.

Squall, owing to both human fallacy and the GF's effect on memories, probably wouldn't remember Raine even if he was 4 when they left, sadly.

/changes subject a little

I finally got to the nibelheim flashback in the original FF7 >.< Having Sephy in the party was fun 8D Chocobo's annoy me >.< Yet they are cute when they go 'wark' x3

I wikipedia'd it (I'll admit it) and Raine did die in childbirth (you were right Nix). Laguna had sent Ellone back fully intending to follow soon after.

Sure, he might not have known what happened, but don't you think 17 years is kinda a long time to wait before finding out what happened? I personally would have got on the damn phone after a week or two.