Hiei101

Final Fantasy

Lol cat. xd.png

Well, that's not much different from KH/Zelda/some other games. Though in Zelda of course you are the only character. But still, you could count Navi/whatever fairy you have/Midna (?).

I need to get a TV before getting a PS3 before getting FF XIII. ._.

*kicks monies*

I need to get a PSP before I get a PS3 before I get Final Fantasy XIII.

*kicks monies*

Somehow that doesn't sounds as pathetic.

I already bought FFXIII.

But I don't have the PS3 to play it on.

That reminds me, I've had a copy of Advent Children Complete for several months now. [:

My absolute favorite FF isn't specific, its more of 'certain things I liked in different ones'. I liked the Gambit system from FFXII (you could set parameters of abilities or just manually do everything; whichever you felt like. Going against zodiarc you kinda needed auto battle though). I loved the story immersion with FF7, and even though some of it made me cry, I applaud the storytelling. I loved the Materia ini FFVII, but the card minigame and Irvine from FFVIII. FFIX made me angry with what the kingdom did to Garnet as a baby, but getting me hot and angry about a story means it was well-written, so that's a good thing too.

I was there for the midnight release of FFXIII, and I played it for a solid day.

Was it fun? NO!!

I own and have beaten every FF (except 9, which I only borrowed) including Mystic Quest, and they're all good games that I play repeatedly.

Thirteen?

If you didn't already have the unfortunateness to buy it, then I say don't. This is coming from a super fanboy that plays and buys anything final fantasy, and I live in my car. I go without eating for a couple days a week to afford new final fantasy games. This one? This was garbage.

I had no interest in any of the characters, and you can't level until you unlock the ability to level, and when you do get it, some of the characters can't even attack anymore because it isn't part of thier job. You can't grind, you can't level up except by filling up the crystals that the game attaches to your advancement system, but you can only level up in the way they want as far as they hard-coded it. No reason to fight a monster group more than once, and even after you kill them, there's a yellow dot on the minimap where they were. Not all groups have this leftover dot. What is the dot? I figured it out after a few hours.

The respawn point. There is no overworld map, there is no NPC interaction, no defined main character, a bland storyline with no objective. Become a monster and lose control of yourself, and die. Become a crystal, effectively dying. Hesitate on choosing which you want and be hunted down and slain. Those are the three outcomes, but not actually outcomes, because you don't get to choose how anything happens, its linear.

Not even anything hidden in the game. The first ten trophies are simply advancing the plotline, which you have no choice but to do because that's all there is. No quests, no minigames, no none of that.

I actually punched myself in the face playing this game, just to break the stale monotany. Though, FFXIII was such a hopeless bore that I had more than enough time and renewed interest to click a few thousand images on daily dragon fix, so that probably helped at least some of the people reading this.

Hmm I just got through the Chapter One portion of XIII. (Just got it this evening.)

Thus far, I'm actually kind of glad that the battle system isn't sticking to the same formula it has for virtually all of it's games. (Minus XII, but I hated the main character so damn much I couldn't bring myself to continue.) From what I can see of what happens as you level, I think it'll be an interesting challenge to actually choose the appropriate roles to make a full group. (Not that I've gotten far at all, but, as far as I can tell I want the group leader to be a ranged attacker, if not healer. Definitely not someone in a tank role or melee.)

I might also mention that I'm playing on the 360 and the graphics are phenomenal compared to the other games. The game play graphics can hardly be differentiated from the cut scene graphics unlike every other game where you obviously could tell the difference.

The random conversations are a bonus. I've been playing Dragon Age a lot lately (Can't wait for Awakening on the 16th) and one of my favorite aspects of that game were just the random conversations and commentary that would occur from side characters, a feature I'm seeing in this Final Fantasy. It really helps to bring life to the game itself and not make it a cut and dry run-through.

Now that being said obviously I haven't gotten through much plot, so I can't speak on it. Plot-wise, I still think VI, (III in the US when it was released on the SNES) was the bread winner with VII taking a close second. With either one of those, it was the evolving relationships between characters that made them so memorable. I'm kind of iffy because two characters and sisters and two already engaged, to me that's an indicator that I might not quite see the relationship evolution that I adored in previous games. (Love stories are fine as long as they're a SIDE item and not the main focus. That drove me nuts with XIII and X.)

I dunno that's my random babble thus far.

I'm up to chapter four (just defeated Odin) and so far I am quite enjoying the game. Yes it sucked at first that all you could do was attack, but as soon as the roles and paradigm were unlocked it became a whole lot more interesting.

My favourite characters (so far) are Lightning, Sazh and Hope. When I reach the point in the game where you can pick your team, I will be using these three the most.

I have yet to buy the game, I had to buy mothers day presents and my freinds birthday is in a few days so I have no money left. Although most of the reviews I've read make me think twice about buying it, I'll probarly end up buying it anyway rolleyes.gif

*reads viirin's post*

That is.. foreboding. >> I didn't like XII much because of the endless grindfest and the inane storyline ( going after this shard, then going after that shard, then going after that other shard... >>).

If XIII is as bad as you make it sound I might as well shoot myself in the head and go back to playing Vampire the Masquerade™: Bloodlines. (♥)

Fortune86: I sure hope you get to choose your team eventually, I'm in chapter 9 and I still didn't get that chance yet.

I kept tryng to:

Lightning: Commando

Hope: Medic

Fang: Ravager

But no matter how many setups I deleted or generated, it was just pre-cycled class choices, so I couldn't do it. Hopefully you've got better luck than me?

I would like to say I'm buying XIII.. but I'm not. I love XII though, so I'd probably love XIII. I'm not at all anti-linear either, and everything I have seen makes me want it more.

I think people just expect every Final Fantasy to be the same.. and when something new pops in, they don't like it, which is why they didn't like XII.

Though VII, the most popular by far, was a total break from what they had been before, as far as I can tell.

I dunno, it just seems like most Final Fantasy fans love 7, like 8, don't even know what 9 is, love 10, hate 12, and are wary about 13. I disliked 7 (except for most of the plot), haven't played 8 (I wanna), love 9 to pieces, was 'meh, good' about 10, and liked 12.

So I'm backward and alone.. T.T

I would like to say I'm buying XIII.. but I'm not. I love XII though, so I'd probably love XIII. I'm not at all anti-linear either, and everything I have seen makes me want it more.

I think people just expect every Final Fantasy to be the same.. and when something new pops in, they don't like it, which is why they didn't like XII.

Though VII, the most popular by far, was a total break from what they had been before, as far as I can tell.

I dunno, it just seems like most Final Fantasy fans love 7, like 8, don't even know what 9 is, love 10, hate 12, and are wary about 13. I disliked 7 (except for most of the plot), haven't played 8 (I wanna), love 9 to pieces, was 'meh, good' about 10, and liked 12.

So I'm backward and alone.. T.T

You are not alone, I too have enjoyed all of the Final Fantasys so far.

I admit, 12 annoyed me, but only because no matter how I set up the gambits the party never seemed to do as I wanted...

Argh! My health is below fifty per cent! Ashe! Don't just stand there, heal me. Now. Please. Anytime now is good. Forty per cent now. Ya...no! Why are you healing him? He has more health than me! Heal me! Meeeeeeee! Forget it, potion potion potion....carp I'm dead dry.gif

or

Penelo. You are supposed to cast protect on everyone. Why do you only cast it on yourself? I've checked your gambits several times. It's way at the top of your list there. Do eet.

@Viirin: So do I biggrin.gif

The issue any popular franchise (or any franchise at all I guess) has to deal with is that fans are fickle b*tches who will piss and moan about anything they play regardless of how good it is. Their want lists of things they'd like in a game is usually both lofty and contradictory, and when you pair that with the corner-cutting and outright laziness of game designers you're going to get a lot of BAWWWWing. That and, if we're honest with ourselves, a lot of people just find it fun to complain, even about stuff they like. I know I do. I know how you feel though, since I feel the same way about Suikoden. I love the most widely hated games in the series, and listening to people constantly ask "why can't they make a game like Suikoden II again?" is obnoxious beyond belief.

For the record though, I think most people hated FFXII because they thought it was boring.

Boring sums it up nicely. tongue.gif

I have about 300 hours of gaming on my save file, and I don't feel I have gained something more than if I had just sped the game up, reached the plot to the ending point and then just parked in an area and grinded the parties to 99 , instead of trying to be levels ahead of the mobs every time I unlocked a new area ( and grabbing their shiny loot).

Boring, boring, boring....

wait wat.

ARE YOU SERIOUS.

I so DESPERATELY hope you're serious. If so, sources NAO please. PLEASE.

EDIT: Some sources tell me this is not serious business. I are disappoint.

Even that article does not red light it. it says it's going to be a difficult project, which everyone has known since project speculations began. Ya see, the major issues are square enix knows exactly how much is riding on this undertaking. I mean very the foundation of the current company as we know it. They are going to take a considerable amount of time and money in doing this because they know that if they take this step and fall down....(make a ****py remake)....it could spell a quick end to close to 35% of their loyal customers.

I cannot find it again sadly but i was browsing gamefaqs and I found a posted video with ain interview featuring the creator or one of the other remakes. I think it was the guy who re-made FFIII. Anyway he confirmed the project was green lighted. the trouble is as I have already said. It's going to take a ton of time and money. They almost need to remake the game from the ground up. Also it is difficult to find people willing to take up this task because if the project takes place and the people are not satisfied with the results. Sqaure Enix will be characterized with the failure of a once classic titan in the game world.

Also I have heard of a contingency plan. It may also happen that if they chicken out of a re-make; a sequel will be made finally answering the last questions people seem to have. Personally, I have no idea where they could possibly go, but if they can make a decent sequel then I guess my desires for a remake could be curbed for a while.

@Fortune: I seem to be having better luck with the gambits then you do. xd.png My problem is that they are always running out of MP.. so I usually switch between healers, and while one is healing the other two charge up on MP.

@Koroshiya: I guess you are right. ^^ One advantage to liking unknown games from unknown series is that you don't have to listen to fans since there aren't any. (Golden Sun is the perfect game - enough fans that I don't feel alone, few enough that there aren't too many annoying ones).

I guess FFXII was boring in some parts, but oh well. I love it anyway.

@Kakashi: But see, I have only.. 72 hours on mine and I'm almost done. I might end up with a total of, say, 100 hours. You don't have to grind to 99 and beat everything, and then its more fun. Cause level grinding is never fun.

Personally, I don't care if they make a 7 remake, and will like them even if it is the worst game ever. Seems to me all they really have to do is update the graphics though.. why remake it from the bottom up? If it turns into a different game fans are more likely to be mad. Personally, it seems like it would be safest to just update the graphics and port it to PS3. In which case I might watch a walkthrough for the graphics.

Edited by Shaddowwarrior

I cannot find it again sadly but i was browsing gamefaqs and I found a posted video with ain interview featuring the creator or one of the other remakes. I think it was the guy who re-made FFIII. Anyway he confirmed the project was green lighted. the trouble is as I have already said. It's going to take a ton of time and money. They almost need to remake the game from the ground up. Also it is difficult to find people willing to take up this task because if the project takes place and the people are not satisfied with the results. Sqaure Enix will be characterized with the failure of a once classic titan in the game world.

Not trying to sound b!tchy or cynical right now, but wouldn't...if there was an interview with a guy detailing the FFVII remake, wouldn't the information be spread across the internet by now? Wouldn't the link to the video spiderweb its way across the fanbase? It just seems odd that this is the only place I've heard of it.

And...a sequel to FFVII? Wait. Wasn't Advent Children supposed to the the sequel, albeit in movie form? Dirge of Cerberus? The "Case Of..." vignettes? Or would this take place directly AFTER FFVII, with Cloud and Tifa setting up shop?

Sorry, I just don't want to get hope up for something that's a bit uncertain.

Haha. The two (or was it three?) FFVII sequels so far haven't fixed any plot holes, but instead added a truckload more of them. People have been demanding a "true" sequel (an RPG, the entire main FFVII cast be playable again, ect ect) for years now.

Remember when FFVII was ported to PlayStation Network? "OMMMGGGGG, EFF-EFF-VEE-EYE-EYS REEMAYK U GAAIIIIZ, LOLOLOLZ. LOOK,

"

I'm serious. That was my nephew's reaction. I had to beat it into him what the hell "Tech Demo" meant.

Wouldn't the link to the video spiderweb its way across the fanbase? It just seems odd that this is the only place I've heard of it.

Kinda what I was thinking.

*hope has nearly been crushed*

If I wasn't the only one thinking it, that means I'm not crazy.

Which, in this case, is a bad thing.

Ha, yeah. xd.png

Though they still might make it. Best to have a little hope, but not too much expectation. xd.png And either way we still have the tech demo.

Oh, even if they make it, the fans will hate it. Final Fantasy rivals Sonic the Hedgehog in the most unpleasable fanbase.

I've bought FFXIII. So far, so good, it's beautiful! But I can tell already how linear it is. =) Good thing I'm not anti-linear.

Edited by Sunvera