KageSora

Tales of...

Jade >>>>>>>>>> Kratos, IMO. I really have tried to like Kratos in the past, I just sort of gave up on that because I can't. xd.png

*Smack KageSora* If you say 'Corage is the magic that turns dreams into reality' AND YOU STILL can't love Kratos..... Go away.... just go away.... Just have courage to like Kratos! If you still can't...

LEAVE THEN~!

Eh, everyone has their favorites and not favorites. If everyone agreed, then it'd be rather boring, eh?

I suppose my favorite character's part of my dislike of ToS2. Yuan was among my faves (liked him better than anyone in the party) then they majorly defanged him and made him something he's not in the second game. >.> Passingly nice. If your name wasn't Martel, nice didn't enter the picture with him.

But gotta at least respect a guy who stayed loyal to his love for four thousand years and counting.

*Smack KageSora* If you say 'Corage is the magic that turns dreams into reality' AND YOU STILL can't love Kratos..... Go away.... just go away.... Just have courage to like Kratos! If you still can't...

LEAVE THEN~!

...WTF? It's got nothing to do with not having the courage to like him. >.=.> It's not like I'm scared to like him. I just... Don't. WHY would courage factor into this somewhere? I... I'm sorry, I don't get what you're saying.

If you don't like the fact that I don't like Kratos (and I am not trying to tell you he's a bad character, all I'm saying is I don't understand how people love him, I'm not getting all on your case because you don't absolutely love Master Richter, now am I?), then you can take your own advice and LEAVE THEN~!. >.=.>

How about this... I'll make an attempt to like Kratos, when you fall in love with Master Richter.

I don't understand how having the ability to have my own likes and dislikes and refusing to change them to suit YOUR ideas means I lack courage. If anything I have the courage to stand up and admit I don't like a character you're obviously a large fan of instead of just saying I like him to please you.

Everybody has their own likes and dislikes, and as Kyrieath said it would be boring if we all liked/disliked the same characters.

If you simply want to say he's your favorite, by all means do so--but stop telling me to like him, or trying to force me to like him. I respect teh fact that you don't like my favorite characters.

If I have come across as trying to force you to like them, I apologize for it--that was never something I intended. I'm sure we've all tried to convince somebody to be a fan of our favorites at one point or another, but you're getting on my nerves. You've crossed a line presuming you can tell me to leave the topic simply because I don't love your favorite character. I haven't told you to get out because you don't prefer Richter to Kratos, have I? No, I didn't.

Respect the fact that I don't like Kratos. In the past I have made an effort to like him, but I simply have never liked him--not from the moment he was introduced. I respect that you like Kratos. I don't understand it, but that's why I asked you--so I could try to understand it.

I am now dropping the subject, because I admit freely this is a button-pusher for me. And I know that my temper is subject to flaring. Especially as I've been feeling ill. I would prefer to avoid degenerating into flaming you, and your favorite character, and I know that if I continue to "discuss" the matter with you, I likely will say something that will come across as a flame, even if I don't intend it as such.

And no, I'm not going to leave. :|

So, to those that have played Legendia... Did you like it? Did you not? Why? I got a copy, so wondering where to put it in my "List of games I'm going to play". Same with Vespira. :3

Edited by KageSora

I have to say I didn't like Legendia; I didn't bother to finish it and that's rare for me in a Tales game. My reasons:

Cast: They're the 'stock' Team Destiny characters. Ambivalent hero, girl with secret, greedy girl, girl with amnesia/understands nothing of the world, the smart/experienced character and so on. I could almost go through going "And that's Leon, that's Rutee-" and so on. Maybe if I'd never played Tales of Destiny, I wouldn't have been put off by their personality doppelgangers.

Chapter system: I didn't care for this take on the story telling; it seemed just as you might finally start getting to something actually interesting on a character, their story was done. At which point they pretty much became scenery or comedic relief in the other characters' stories.

Engines and mechanics were pretty much stock Tales variety; nothing new or innovative to write about there. I can't recall anything that really stood out about them anyway.

-------

Vesperia is a better game but the story telling in it's a bit sloppy and the battle system is harder than in previous ones- a bit too much so for the more casual gamers. Earning grade is hard if you don't catch onto all the little tricks quickly, and positioning becomes vital to get some of the moves off properly. The talent system also works akin to FFIX, if you ever played that- you learn your skills from your weapons and armor. This means you may wind up having to stick to a weaker piece of equipment if it's taking you awhile to learn the talent it gives you, even if you pick up a better piece of gear along the way. Take the item off before you've learned the talent and you lose the talent until you re-equip the item.

Also, if you're the sort who (like me) likes to occasionally let the autobattle take over to give your hand a break from the button mashing- you will be punished for it. Even if you're monitoring skills, item use and tactics actively in battle, you will get little to no grade.

LEAVE THEN~!

Um, Ryuu? Sora MADE this board, so don't tell her to leave. I like Kratos (he's my favorite character from the first ToS game-- I didn't play it, but I read the manga. biggrin.gif)

I agree with the sloppiness of Vesperia's battle system. I haven't played that far into it (and I do like the Magic Lens thing) but it seems like the bosses get too hard too fast.

I don't like the map thing-- like, when you go between places. I get lost, and can't find things if I miss a bit of dialogue. D:

I like the characters. Duke especially. wub.gif The game so far has been pretty entertaining, even though I'm not that far into it.

I can't find my TotA game and it makes me sad. ;_____;

Mmmm, I never played ToD, but I figure I'll put ToL a bit lower in the que for games to play.

As for ToV... So, basically, each piece of equipment has a skill attached to it, and if you use it for X amount of time you learn said skill? I never played that FF game... But I have played .hack, which in the first 4 games the skills you can use are ONLY available with certain pieces of equipment, which results in you carrying like 6+weapons around at least (to say nothing of various armors) to make sure you have all your bases covered...

Heeeey, Aleika--why do you like Kratos? :3 (Also, I said it before, I'll say it again--epic siggy! biggrin.gif)

thanks, Sora. biggrin.gif

I like Kratos because he's angsty. And he's good with swords and weapons, and has pretty red hair. <3

And I like how he's all mysterious. :3

...Other than that, I'm not sure why I like him. I guess I just do.

:3 I see. I will admit that as much as I'm not fond of him, he does indeed have pretty hair. And he is good with weapons. (That sounds wrong.... xd.png) And he does indeed have much angst. ^.=.^ See, I can agree with things, even if I don't like him. :3

Though his general attitude is what turned me off initially, and it just... Kinda went downhill from there. Though I also admit I don't dislike him as much as I have in the past.

I will also admit another point in his favor, though I still don't like him: he has very pretty wings. xd.png

I suppose his attitude would have irritated me a little, but I went into it knowing he was (spoiler?) Lloyd's dad. So, I saw it from a I'm-Your-Father-So-I-Want-You-To-Be-Responsible-But-I-Don't-Want-You-To-Find-Out-I'm-You're-Father point of view.

Eh. My reasons for liking him were ****py. I guess it boils down to the fact that he's pretty and I like bad/semibad guys. *shrugs*

If you asked me why I like Richter, I could rattle off better reasons. Maybe because I've had to defend my Richter-liking more than my Kratos-liking.

edit: FAAAAAAIL they censor that word. D:

Edited by Aleika

xd.png Nice reasoning.

Haaaa... Yeah, people tend to just go "Oh, another Kratos fan? Okay. Moving on..." and then they go "...WTF, WHY do you care about RICHTER?" D:

I CARE ABOUT LOVE RICHTER BECAUSE HE'S HOT AND AMAZING AND HAS PRETTY HAIR AND PRETTY EYES AND HE'S A LOYAL FRIEND AND HE DOESN'T DEAL WITH CARP AND HE'S A BAD GUY AND HE HAS A COOL PERSONALITY AND HE HAS A COOL VOICE AND HE WEARS COOL CLOTHES AND AND AND AND AND

and I'm out of reasons. D:

I think I'd like to see a Genis fangirl. I don't think I've even HEARD of one yet. :\

... laugh.gif

Edit: oh wait, forgot sexy. D:

Edit AGAIN: I didn't see your post there, firedrake. But yeah. More Aster want. biggrin.gif

Edited by Aleika

Yes, Master Richter is. And you can never have enough Aster! More Aster! biggrin.gif

Another Aster fan! Yaaaay! ^.=.^

Those are awesome reasons, Aleika. Very awesome reasons. AND HE HAS SEXY GLASSES. And he's smart. And seeing as he was a scientist, he probably wore a lab coat at some point. <3

...I've never heard of a Genis fangirl, either. Do they exist? Or are they just very rare?

Mmmm, I never played ToD, but I figure I'll put ToL a bit lower in the que for games to play.

As for ToV...  So, basically, each piece of equipment has a skill attached to it, and if you use it for X amount of time you learn said skill?  I never played that FF game...  But I have played .hack, which in the first 4 games the skills you can use are ONLY available with certain pieces of equipment, which results in you carrying like 6+weapons around at least (to say nothing of various armors) to make sure you have all your bases covered...

Let's just say ToL isn't especially bad but it's a bit bland as Tales games go. They experimented a bit and it really didn't net a good result.

And that's pretty much how it goes, yes. Once you learn the skill, you can go ahead and replace the item; that in and of itself isn't so bad until you start running into the fact the monsters and bosses upscale rapidly. They also start requiring you to pull off some pretty tricky things to do decently in the boss battles especially.

I wish the PS3 version had made its way over here; if they followed through with their usual pattern, the difficulty was likely taken down to a saner level (they deliberately made Vesperia harder for the 360 since that's supposed to be the 'hard core gamer' system), and I know a lot of glaring story issues were fixed. Vesperia kept trying to get it together but as I stated a few pages ago- the 360 only had the very barebones story complete and skipped on a lot of details. The final boss won't even make a whole lot of story sense unless you had a guide telling you where to go at certain times to actually get some details on the guy.

------

And off hand note to the character discussion: Genis was my favorite party member character, so he fell into second place after Yuan on my list of overall Symphonia favorites.

Edited by Kyrieath

And off hand note to the character discussion: Genis was my favorite party member character, so he fell into second place after Yuan on my list of overall Symphonia favorites.

YAAAAAAAY GENIS FAN! biggrin.gif

Yuan is pretty cool. He's another character I can't quite explain why I like, but... I dunno, I like him.

YAAAAAAAY GENIS FAN! biggrin.gif

Yuan is pretty cool. He's another character I can't quite explain why I like, but... I dunno, I like him.

We do indeed exist. wink.gif I think most folks write him off as an annoying brat though.

I could explain my reasons for liking Yuan but that would take a pretty long post. laugh.gif His 'charming' personality had plenty to do with it though.

Well, the skills thing is automatically better than the .hack//IMOQ skills thing, at least. Not that it was bad, just tedious. But if you do a lot of grinding, will you be relatively okay?

Yeah, the PS3 version would have been nice if it came over... I like how one of the characters gets a Richter costume, too bad it's a girl. Richter's outfit on a girl just looks a bit... Strange. xd.png

I like having Genis in my party. :3 Very useful. And his "brat" personality is what makes him amusing, though I can't consider myself a big fan or anything.

Well, the skills thing is automatically better than the .hack//IMOQ skills thing, at least. Not that it was bad, just tedious. But if you do a lot of grinding, will you be relatively okay?

Yeah, the PS3 version would have been nice if it came over... I like how one of the characters gets a Richter costume, too bad it's a girl. Richter's outfit on a girl just looks a bit... Strange. xd.png

I like having Genis in my party. :3 Very useful. And his "brat" personality is what makes him amusing, though I can't consider myself a big fan or anything.

Basically, you have to spam the skill like crazy to learn it. One tactic for 'grinding' the skill is to equip it to ALL your buttons so doesn't matter what you hit; you're advancing the skill. That can take a very long time, even if you're running in circles just 'hunting'.

Ah, well; maybe they'll eventually decide to localize it over here (doubtful) if Graces can make up for the damage Vesperia's Xbox-only release did.

*L* I admit the appeal in Genis for me was the more serious aspect of him. The fact he was your party's racist member was a nice touch; usually it's the later teen/adult characters who get that role and suddenly realize the error of their ways when presented with a logical argument against it. I liked seeing a character actually struggle with it and have to confront their own hypocrisies.

Yeah, the PS3 version would have been nice if it came over...  I like how one of the characters gets a Richter costume, too bad it's a girl.  Richter's outfit on a girl just looks a bit...  Strange.  xd.png

WHAT IS THIS.

why haven't i heard about this? D:

I already like Ricter! Dur.... I remembered something epic about him... Now he isn't bad anymore..

Now go firth and like Kratos!!!!!!!

WHAT IS THIS.

why haven't i heard about this? D:

Judith. Check here at the bottom--you can see her in Richter-costume. :3

@Ryuu: I never said I'd like Kratos. I said this:

I'll make an attempt to like Kratos, when you fall in love with Master Richter.

Important parts bolded.

And BTW... Firth is an actual word. :3

Edited by KageSora

I know.... I told you to go like him though.. I dun care if you dun try or not... Pretend

Judith. Check here at the bottom--you can see her in Richter-costume. :3

Somehow I'm not surprised she got that costume; Judith likes to wear some pretty odd stuff. rolleyes.gif

<3

To tell the truth the only Tales games I've played are Tales of Symphonia and Dawn of the New World. I liked them both equally.

In both games I ended up having the redheads as my favourite characters xd.png No idea why. Also I liked Llyod, Emil/Ratatosk and Mithos. Poor kid got such a bad ending...

I actually liked Emil (and Ratatosk) a whole lot. The one I couldn't stand was Marta. I'm a big female gamer but find myself liking the male characters and disliking most female characters, so I give the girls a chance to prove themselves.

I hated Marta since her first scene, but tried REALLY HARD to like her after that. Near the end of the game I was hoping she would die. Oh well...

(Anyone else know where Ratatosk comes from in Mythology?)