KageSora

Tales of...

I can't believe I forgot to post this. I started Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS and love it. I really feel empathy for Luke since he's been so sheltered, but some of his lines make me cringe. xd.png I It's really fun and a nice change from my typical Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest/Pokemon RPG cycle.

I can't believe I forgot to post this. I started Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS and love it. I really feel empathy for Luke since he's been so sheltered, but some of his lines make me cringe. xd.png I It's really fun and a nice change from my typical Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest/Pokemon RPG cycle.

If you feel bad for Luke now, you're going to have your heart shattered into about a billion pieces as the game goes on.

I just picked it back up the other night and nearly chucked my 3DS across the room when I realized what part I was at because that part is painful. D:

I've also started playing Tales of the Abyss. But no matter how hard I try, I can't warm up to Luke. Maybe I'm just not far enough in the game yet.

Though, I have a feeling it will be a repeat of how I felt towards Emil in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. I will feel like I don't like him at all unit near the end of the game and then I will realize how much I actually adore him and how I love the way he changed.

Luke starts getting massive character development fairly early on in the game, though I won't say why or how!

So, who's a Tales fan, and whats your favorite/least favorite game?  What games have you played, how'd you get into the games?  Who are peoples (least) favorite characters from the games they've played?  Of all time?  Things you did(n't) like about a game?

I was actually searching for some good N3DS games on Amazon and looking at some when I found Tales of the Abyss. Seeing how it was out of stock and I couldn't be sure I'd ever get it again I bought it after I read a very good critique for the game. I originally bought my 3DS for New Art Academy. Though I haven't played anything different than TotA since the day I bought my 3DS. laugh.gif

While playing this game I forgot almost everything around me; When I had to go to the toilet I suddenly realized that I was starving xd.png

I can't just define one or even a few favourite character, they are all so awesome! Except of Dist. He's creepy. blink.gif

Though later I changed my opinion and after playing the game 2 times and reading some extras of the Manga (not the main story though). He's now one of my favourite characters alongside with all other character; He's still creepy though. But in a good way. xd.png

The only thing I didn't like, really disliked, almost hated about the game is that it has an end. I seriously had to cry when it was over and suddenly realized that this game became my life. ;A;

But playing it again helped a lot.

Actually when playing the game the first time I didn't really realize how nasty and mean Luke was at the beginning. I mean I knew only what he knew and could therefore understand what he was doing. Later I realized that he - maybe - should have thought a bit more on his own. But I can still understand him.

After this awesome experience of Tales of the Abyss (I didn't really play any videogames before) I decided to buy a used PS2 and Tales of Legendia without informing myself about the game just saying "It's a Tales of game so it has to be awesome". I just didn't knew I had a PAL console and I couldn't play the game. So after I spent a lot of more money for it, I paid 230€ to play one. single. game. And right now I'm happy I didn't knew about PAL or NTSC because if I knew it right from the beginning I probably never would have bought that game. I'm still playing it (currently on Norma's Character quest) and I bet I'd be a lot more faster if I wanted to. But I don't want to be fast. I want to stand there and stare at the cats of the hospital at night. For a looong time. Or watch the fireflies. The fish in the water. To see how the clouds on the map move. Just to stare at all those beautiful details for a long time.

... I just wanted to say something X3

EDIT: Ah, that's right, I forgot something; I bought Tales of Graces future as well but since I have no PS3 I can't play it right now xd.png Though I already love it *A*

Edited by susitapsi

The only thing I didn't like, really disliked, almost hated about the game is that it has an end.

I know exactly how you feel. I fell so in love with my first Tales game (Tales of Phantasia for GBA) that I felt heartbroken when I beat it; I wanted the storyline to continue so badly. I still love that game today; it's my only game that I let only a select few borrow and threaten to harm them if it isn't returned or if it becomes damaged... I can't help it... I love it... ;~;

The ToX CE version is no longer available for purchase in GameStop stores, though it seems to be still available for online order. Not sure how long that will last.

I know exactly how you feel. I fell so in love with my first Tales game (Tales of Phantasia for GBA) that I felt heartbroken when I beat it; I wanted the storyline to continue so badly. I still love that game today; it's my only game that I let only a select few borrow and threaten to harm them if it isn't returned or if it becomes damaged... I can't help it... I love it... ;~;

Question - does your version not have sound for the voices? Mine doesn't, and I can't tell if it's because it's used or if it's because they didn't have the memory/software/whatever.

Question - does your version not have sound for the voices? Mine doesn't, and I can't tell if it's because it's used or if it's because they didn't have the memory/software/whatever.

When skills are used in battles and cut-scenes and at the end of battles, there are voices. It's scares me a bit to think that one day, my copy could lose it's voices too. D: The voices are one of the things that helped me first fall in love with the game.

Did you check your settings? It's possible that if it's a used copy, the previous owners turned off the voices.

I'll check my settings, but what happens is that when I meet the spirit in the tree for the first time, she starts speaking and then the voice cuts out. So, I don't think it's that.

Voices work for spells, etc. for me, just not cutscenes.

I first got into the Tales Of series after my (now) husband bought Tales of Symphonia and started playing it a few years ago. I had heard about Phantasia since he's played that one before, but I had never seen any of the games myself until then.

I think it's pretty clear from my icon that I love Symphonia. Legendia is pretty good as well, and my husband and I are hoping to get Abyss and Vesperia soon. happy.gif

I've started playing Phantasia, but have yet to finish. I need to get back to that... laugh.gif

As for characters, I love most of the Symphonia cast, as well as Moses and Grune from Legendia and Yuri Lowell from Vesperia (from what I've seen of him so far).

My top favourite Tales Of character has to be Zelos though. And not because "oh he's such a flirt" or an attractive character or anything, but because of his backstory and depth as a character. Martel is also a top favourite as you can easily tell, in part because I can really relate to her (and have been compared to her several times ^^; )

Tales of Symphonia and Dawn of the New World to get HD treatment.

They games will be released bundled together for the PS3 in October for Japan and early 2014 for the EU and NA, and Australia IIRC.

The ToS version is based on the PS2 version that never left Japan.

This is just announced info~

Tales of Symphonia and Dawn of the New World to get HD treatment.

They games will be released bundled together for the PS3 in October for Japan and early 2014 for the EU and NA, and Australia IIRC.

The ToS version is based on the PS2 version that never left Japan.

This is just announced info~

Nice, I wasn't aware it had been confirmed for American release.

The rumored HD bundle was only confirmed a few hours ago, and this showed up pretty quick after the end of the stream.

Welp.

Haven't gotten far in my game yet. Decided to not use walkthroughs or guides the first time through, I'll bother with a full completion attempt after I go through the plot once.

Yeah, if you wnt 100% you'll probably have to use a guide.

The rumored HD bundle was only confirmed a few hours ago, and this showed up pretty quick after the end of the stream.

I thought they confirmed it like a week ago? I remember Hideo Baba talking about it.

I thought they confirmed it like a week ago? I remember Hideo Baba talking about it.

Nope. That was just rumor, and he tried to dismiss it when he talked about it. Basically PR speak for "I can't actually comment, and you're not supposed to know about that yet, so I'm going to imply that it's a false rumor".

's fun figuring stuff out without a guide, if a bit annoying. I'm the hoarder type, so using my Ex-gems without knowing if I'll get a good effect from the combination is a bit nervewracking.

Oh, I know. The Tales games are just absolutely in the Guide Dang It category of games.

I couldn't do a few of the puzzles without a guide. >_> Stupid freakin' "can only slide in one direction and keep sliding until you hit an obstacle then pick a new direction" puzzles. They're some of the worst for me. And ToS has two places where it happens. D: ONE sliding puzzles wasn't enough.

Edited by KageSora

Oh, I find those fun. One was for the Th... the geyser thing. Thoda? Goddamn all the names for places >_>

Doesn't pokemon have similar areas too? /feels like she's used to it by now

Certainly not from practicing in ToS...

Ah, wait, DID the Thoda Geyser (sounds right, not sure on spelling!) have that? If so, that's three places, then, not two...

Yeah, I know there was at least one gen that had an area like that.

It was short though. I actually didn't listen to the directions at all and still passed easily.

3rd gen in that case - there was the Shoal Cave.