Capulator

Set Account Settings Upon Registration

How should the account setting be set when one registers?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, so the best and most obvious option, in my opinion, wasn't in the original poll, so I added this one, because frankly I don't see how anyone could disagree.

The Issue

When you register on DC, your account settings are automatically set to not show your user name on your dragons' pages, and not to accept help.

The Suggestion

I want it to be a requirement that when you join, you have to choose the settings before starting out, so that every user knows what the options are.

Reasons This Would Help

1) Its harder to help people when they don't show their name, and I'm not even allowed to help them if its not showing that they accept help, and a lot of new users are losing dragons because they don't know any better.

2) When someone picks up an egg I've bred, I like to see the scroll it's

3) I'm not condoning people pestering each other about intercepting a trade. However, it is nice to have the option to ask politely if the new owner would accept something better to return the dragon.

I know that a lot of people posting in these forums will say that account settings are obvious and not difficult to change, but frankly that's not true. Most of the people who I know who use DC are not active in the forums at least until they have a significantly sized scroll, and by then they generally know what they're doing so it isn't as big a deal. New users are not all savvy to these things.

smile.gif

Keep it as it is now. I made a forum account basically the same day that I got my first egg. This was because I wanted to know where I should post my eggs as the only place I had seen them was on a form for an entirely different game.

It really is rather simple to figure out how to change your settings and to find out where your settings are located. Seriously there is a link at the top of your scroll that reads "Account Settings". Pretty self explanatory if you ask me.

As for your reason #3, sorry but if I had a trade that didn't work and I've had a few, the person who ended up with the egg is the lucky new owner and the person that I was trying to gift to; well they get to wait until I have another egg/hatchling for their request.

I think they should be on by default. There are a lot of users on sites like Gaia for example who play dc but don't use the DC forums so they wouldn't know about the ask for help and that people can get in trouble for not having it checked off.

Keep it as it is now. I made a forum account basically the same day that I got my first egg. This was because I wanted to know where I should post my eggs as the only place I had seen them was on a form for an entirely different game.

It really is rather simple to figure out how to change your settings and to find out where your settings are located. Seriously there is a link at the top of your scroll that reads "Account Settings". Pretty self explanatory if you ask me.

As for your reason #3, sorry but if I had a trade that didn't work and I've had a few, the person who ended up with the egg is the lucky new owner and the person that I was trying to gift to; well they get to wait until I have another egg/hatchling for their request.

It really is rather simple to figure out how to change your settings and to find out where your settings are located.

Yes I know that. I said that in the first post lol. But my point here is that I have lost count of the number of people who didn't know about it, and were very happy when it was explained to them.

As for your reason #3...

I know, I was just being pretentious with that one xd.png the first 2 are my serious reasons tongue.gif

I like the option of a message prompting you to set your settings when you register. (And a message that tells a member that they can change the settings later.)

However if that's not what majority wants, then I'm all for the Accept Aid = on, and Show Username = off.

Aid on because I know new users would like help with their dragons, at least until they know what they are doing.

Username off because I have a feeling that some members wouldn't want their scrolls to be publicly known right away. Don't want to look like a n00b, right? :B Anonymity ftw.

And yet again, how about instead of having to choose right away, just leave it at the default settings of whichever is chosen by the majority, and for a week or so after registering, there's a bolded message at the top of the account page, stating that you can change your settings or something. /forgets what she was going to say here.

Or a FAQ on the site. -nods-

I think it could be useful to when a user register to be 'prompted' to go through their account settings. I've met many a new user who didn't know about the account settings, merely because they've missed it. I know we know where they are, we're long time DC players, but those new users may not be so aware.

I think it could be a useful addition.

However I'm slightly different minded from Phazon, I think it would be a better idea to have everything switched on - both username and aid, since then if they don't want it they could always switch it off at a later date, but for those not fussed or who may not necessarily know what it means, it may be better to have it on by default.

I still vote that they should simply default to off.

1) Its harder to help people when they don't show their name, and I'm not even allowed to help them if its not showing that they accept help, and a lot of new users are losing dragons because they don't know any better.

This is why I think that it would be better to have a note that tells people that there are important options that they can set in there account settings and that they can learn more about such things there and also if they'd like to join the forum.

True, people still have the choice to set it on or off, but it's really asking them to chose completely blind, instead of giving them the info that it's there and then letting them investigate the pros and cons if they'd like. After all, accepting aid has it's down side, too.

2) When someone picks up an egg I've bred, I like to see the scroll it's

IMO, this shouldn't even be a consideration. I don't think that anything to do with options should be set based on what is better/more fun/increases game satisfaction for other players. What someone other than the scroll owner wants shouldn't even be come into play.

3) I'm not condoning people pestering each other about intercepting a trade.  However, it is nice to have the option to ask politely if the new owner would accept something better to return the dragon.

But the thing is that they might not know that there's a chance that they'll be pestered if they turn it on. Again, leaving it off gives them time to familiarize themselves with the game or come to the forum and get more info before making a choice blindly.

I know that a lot of people posting in these forums will say that account settings are obvious and not difficult to change, but frankly that's not true.  Most of the people who I know who use DC are not active in the forums at least until they have a significantly sized scroll, and by then they generally know what they're doing so it isn't as big a deal.  New users are not all savvy to these things.

smile.gif

Frankly, my general opinion is that if people want to play the game and they don't either join the forum or go off site for info, then they have to expect to explore their options to know what's there and to have some trial and error. However, I do think that a heads up about the option page upon registering couldn't hurt, along with a link to the forum that states that it's where the FAQ, the Help Section, and the News Section for the game is located.

~Sarah~

Well, now that "A requirement to choose the settings before registering" is on the poll, I think it's the best solution for the individual; Whether we like it or not, it is a persons right to choose if they want assistance or to let others know who has their dragons offspring etc.

And we're forgetting one important thing. If you want to get views for all your dragons, not just a few (or even one, some sites out there are real strict about the number of images in your sig and such), people could more easily do that if the name was displayed, so they wouldn't constantly be switching out. People can post the link of one dragon, and the clicker could go from there to give clicks to the rest of their dragons.

I'm not sure how much of that makes sense, I'm doped on painkillers, so I apologize if it's gibberish.

I severely abhor the thought of automatically having them on. The best I saw in the poll was to choose before registration was complete, but honestly it isn't hard to figure out how to go about it if you just poke around your own scroll a little.

I think the default should be to have it on, and when you register you should be prompted to pick your desired options, or leave it as the 'default' options.

Some people don't bother exploring their account options, and some don't bother with the forums (okay, not some, MANY). I remember not making a forum account RIGHT away, I waited like a week before I decided to make a forum account. Some people just say 'Eh, who needs the forums?'

I think the first option best deters the problem of ignorance while still respecting the privacy of the users.

Either have people choose when they join (with directions of how to change it later if they wish) or leave it as it is.

People do have really good reasons for having their usernames hidden and to just automatically have it on without people's knowledge is like a breech of trust and I just don't like it. As much as I would love for everyone to have it on, I'll respect people not wanting it on, and fight for them to keep that. Yes, I know they could just turn it off, but if it's set to on automatically it's been on for a little bit, at least before they may realize they can change that.

Also, having aide automatically on will just let everyone "cheat" through the game. They may never realize it's on if it's on automatically, and think they really know and understand the game, when they really may not.

If any of that babbling made sense. XID

Either have people choose when they join (with directions of how to change it later if they wish) or leave it as it is.

People do have really good reasons for having their usernames hidden and to just automatically have it on without people's knowledge is like a breech of trust and I just don't like it. As much as I would love for everyone to have it on, I'll respect people not wanting it on, and fight for them to keep that. Yes, I know they could just turn it off, but if it's set to on automatically it's been on for a little bit, at least before they may realize they can change that.

Also, having aide automatically on will just let everyone "cheat" through the game. They may never realize it's on if it's on automatically, and think they really know and understand the game, when they really may not.

If any of that babbling made sense. XID

I agree with both points.

Clearly I'm *really* pro-default off when it comes to the scroll name issue.

I'm more open on the other issue (especially since the rule was re-added to the TOS), but I'd still rather have the importance of the account setting highlighted, as a whole, upon registration and then people would understand that there are important things there to enhance game play. After all, that section lets you set action protection, organize your scroll, generate and incubator, etc. It's fairly important that people go take a look at it.

I'm not for a default on "aid" option, but I'd be open to the idea of setting the "accepting aid" option one way or the other at registration (still against it for the scroll name).

But I definitely agree with this -

I practically sweated blood over my first egg to get it to hatch and grow. lolol I checked it every 30 seconds and pestered all my friends, via email, to click it. xd.png

If I found out later that I hadn't necessarily been the one to raise that egg I'd be a little crushed. lolol

~Sarah~

Like I mentioned in another thread, I like the idea of having to choose the account settings as part of registration. I also like SockPuppet's idea of having directions included. I think this (hopefully do-able) change to the registration process would be quite helpful to new players.

Another thing I like with this option is that it won't affect current players' account settings. Frankly, if this change was made, I don't even know how we'd know about it.

Voted for Automatically "accept aid" on, "show user name" on, but I think the registration thing would be good, as well.

Accept aid should be on by default (with an option of course to turn it off if not needed anymore). Scroll name can be turned off by default, since its not really necessary to help people who need help.

Being required to choose it when registering may be a good idea, but does not really help people who don't know English well.

I'm with icare4u - this is a globally popular game with many people having to translate English instructions into their own language, and a family game with plenty of young children and at least one puter-illiterate adult, lol - and I strongly feel that a default with 'aid accepted' on and name off would be best overall.

The idea of a note alerting people to what account settings are would be great - some of us are afraid to mess with anything we don't understand, especially on somebody else's computer, and some of us don't understand very much, lol...

And how people EVER manage figuring out how to navigate a puter for possibly the first time, while figuring out a game like this, which may be the first of its type ever encountered, while translating mentally from English possibly not well understood into their own language...

So, now that we have the new line on the dragons' pages, and went through a couple threads in response to it, some new ideas have been brought up. These couple points which I've quoted seem particularly relevant, and sound like very good suggestions, which would hopefully deter yet another group of possibly unwanted "help" problems; remove the last bits of ambiguity; and reduce, if not remove, the "I never knew that option was there!" comments. I would love to see a change like this implemented, with both the registration message being added, and the dragon page message being returned to the original "not accepting help".

Though I think the original "not accepting help" that was up for all of an hour might have been a better choice...

I agree with that.

I'm one of the people that believes that the percentage of people posting others' eggs maliciously is minuscule at best. I think that people want to see their dragons' offspring live and they want to help other players and other worthwhile things. And, because of that, I think that they're going to use any ambiguity possible to read permission into what they're doing.

At this point, what I wouldn't mind seeing is, at registration, a message that says something like -

"From time to time, other dragon caretakers may sometimes wander past and offer aid to your dragons by helping them to accumulate views. If you would rather be solely responsible for the raising of your dragons, please click this box.

This option can be changed at any time in the future on the Account Settings page."

That way the default is on, but not on without them knowing, and they can choose which they want and then know where to change it.

After that, I think that any scroll with it on should say "accepting aid" and any scroll with it off should say "not accepting aid".

~Sarah~

Whoops, missed a couple code bits.

Edited by bbik

Presenting a brief description of the choices/results for the Help and Scroll ID options, and requiring a selection, would be a good thing. At the same time it should be made clear that the settings can be updated as needs and preferences change.

Links to the help forum's "pinned" posts, from the account page, that explain some of the other details of the cave would also be helpful, and might even reduce some of the forum "silly question" traffic that seems to annoy some of the seasoned players.

The info given in the help forum is generally clear and very useful, but is not always easy to find the exact answer needed, nor is it always easy to find the right thread to post a question in, without creating a dreaded duplicate topic. (improvments to the search function already have a topic, somewhere, unless it's been sent to the bit bucket, so I won't press it here)

fwiw, I particularly appreciate seeing scroll links when I'm looking at my dragons' offspring.

I enjoy seeing how other people play the game and organize their collections of dragons.

I'm always pleased (and sometimes relieved) when my dragons' children land on scrolls that are well tended, and it's a particular joy to see one of my rare bred eggs that turns out to be the first or second of it's breed on its new owner's scroll.

edited in hopes of improving clarity

Edited by evilcostumelady

I like the choosing at registration of all of those. I don't necessarily like it being off by default, but I don't like the idea of it being on by default. Any current accounts would keep their current settings.

I don't think it has been brought up, but I would like the option to have no message at all, like it used to be. I for one extremely dislike the ugly message at the bottom of my page and would like a way to remove it. I don't care if some overzealous person decides to help, I don't want ANY message there. And to be clear, having no message at all would be a choice, not default, and you must accept any consequences that arise.

I like the choosing at registration of all of those.  I don't necessarily like it being off by default, but I don't like the idea of it being on by default.  Any current accounts would keep their current settings.

I don't think it has been brought up, but I would like the option to have no message at all, like it used to be.  I for one extremely dislike the ugly message at the bottom of my page and would like a way to remove it.  I don't care if some overzealous person decides to help, I don't want ANY message there.  And to be clear, having no message at all would be a choice, not default, and you must accept any consequences that arise.

Yeah, I know a lot of people are having issues with the text being there. Maybe it could be something like this instead -

Egg Stolen on: Jun 07, 2009

Overall Views: 1179

Unique Views: 762

Clicks: 3

Hatched on: Jun 12, 2009

Hatchling will die if it doesn't grow up in: 6 days and 6 hours

Accepting Aid: No

Which would be nice and tidy and then could disappear with the timer when the dragon either grew up or was frozen.

~Sarah~

Agreed.. that's brilliant. Love that idea/solution.

That line of text on EVERY dragon page is starting to get very annoying.

I really like that idea Skauble. It tells you what you want to know without being intrusive.