Capulator

Set Account Settings Upon Registration

How should the account setting be set when one registers?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It may be unobtrusive but how many people would miss that? Probably quite a few.

Except that people are going to see it on their own dragons' pages when they check their own stats - from the very first time. So they're going to know exactly where it is on other people's pages.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that everyone will obey the rule, but if you're going to grab someone's egg to post and you know that the accepting aid status is there- because you see it every time when you check your own dragons - then you're going to check.

IMO, the problem won't be that it gets overlooked, just that it will be, in some cases ignored. But there's really not much to be done about that.

~Sarah~

I don't care either way about the way the aid message is shown, but I do wish that either the default was changed or people would have to select the settings right off. Not just because new people could sometimes use a little help and we can't do that legally right now without them thinking to go fiddle with the settings, but also because the fact that that dilemma exists means that a lot of aid is also given to persons who don't want it because people can just assume they didn't change the setting, but they really will want me to post their egg anyway.

Uuh, if a user gives you permission to add their egg, you can add it. x3

"(Please note that it is against the site rules to give aid to a user without their permission.)"

If they ask for your help and say it's okay, that is giving you permission. ^^

What I was trying to say (guess I wasn't clear ^^wink.gif is that it's not always possible to contact a new user who has gotten an egg you bred. And sometimes those eggs get to the point you worry about them, and the new person has aid turned off. Many new users don't really know what aid is, whether they should turn it on or not, or have looked around and found out how. If they had to set that up first thing, selecting what they wanted, or the default was on, people would be able to know very easily whether the person really wants help or not. Whether they would want help and simply don't know that there's a way to get it, or if they know what's going on and are intentionally letting the egg or hatchling go low time. And because it isn't clear whether people have aid turned off or they just didn't know how to change it or that it meant anything in the past there has been trouble about users justifying putting other people's eggs on sites because they figured they just hadn't changed the default setting. And that's not necessarily what was desired.

Completely agree. I *really* would like an actual desicion that we have to make, that newbies have to make, on if they want to accept aid or not. Preferably with an explanation of what that actually means. Because I've seen that too, seen people saying "oh well, they aren't accepting aid, but they are a newbie and probably don't know about aid, so I should help out their eggs". Which is WRONG and frustrating.

And we really really need the wording to be changed. So many people just don't get what "against the site rules to give aid to a user" really means. What is "aid"? I've seen *many* users take the attitude of "if the egg is on fansites, then the person obviously wants help, so I can add the egg other places" despite the no-aid message.

Yeah, I know a lot of people are having issues with the text being there. Maybe it could be something like this instead -

Egg Stolen on: Jun 07, 2009

Overall Views: 1179

Unique Views: 762

Clicks: 3

Hatched on: Jun 12, 2009

Hatchling will die if it doesn't grow up in: 6 days and 6 hours

Accepting Aid: No

Which would be nice and tidy and then could disappear with the timer when the dragon either grew up or was frozen.

~Sarah~

I love this idea biggrin.gif Short sweet to the point!

I think this thread and http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=92115 should each look at each other, hehe.

I like the *idea* of a "short and simple" thing like Sarah put up, but what is talked about in the thread I linked is the fact that many people, especially newer users or users who aren't on the forums, simply don't understand what "aid" *is*. I don't think making the wording even shorter and *more* vague is the answer.

Short and sweet is fine for clearly understandable things, but we've seen that many users don't understand the aid messages and what they are supposed to mean, even now.

""This owner does not accept aid. Please do nothing to try to help their eggs or hatchlings grow - it is against the rules."

Was proposed by fuzzbucket in the other thread.

See what I'm saying? While it'd be very good to make new users choose what they want in terms of aid, we also need to be sure that the aid-messages are clear in what they mean to the people who might be messing with the dragons in the first place.

So, a lot of people are all like "this should be opt-in so people don't get forced into it without their knowledge" or "this should be opt out so people don't have to discover it before it gets enabled" with suggestions that would create options in Account Settings.

So how about this: When you're registering a new scroll, you are given the Account Settings page and told to customize your settings. That way, everybody is sure to see all the options they have, so if they ever want to change the options they set, they'll know those options are there.

Edited by ~!~

I kind of like this idea. I'd liked to have been brought immediately to the account page, but then again if my sister hadn't explained a lot of the things to me I probably wouldn't have understood it completely.

Maybe the first time you go to the accounts page you have a slight FAQ about what everything is?

that's a nice idea, it's like you're prompted to change settings when you register a forum account

This many lessen posts like 'how can I put my scroll in dragon's page' or 'I clicked someone's scroll in his/her signature but nothing appeared' from newbie in the help section.

Edited by numb3rs

That doesn't exactly help for all of the new features being proposed, though.

I've always been in favor of users actually having to choose settings, especially with things like aid/no aid. But making people choose when registering won't do anything to help the "opt-in or opt-out" problem for *new* features. New features will be added and, for everyone who is already playing the game and is not newly-registering, there will still be the "opt-in or opt-out" problem you are talking about.

I suppose it could redirect you to a page that makes you pick an option when you try to go to your scroll or the homepage.

Although, I think for new features, it would be good enough to just have a little notification at the top of your scroll that there's a new feature.

I'd definitely like that. So many DCers don't have forum accounts, so new features that aren't hugely apparent could definitely use a notification.

I agree with this idea, but wouldn't the FAQ be repetitive as all get out? Example (italic is mine) :

Security and Privacy

Display Username on Dragon Info Page

Enable this to display your username and a link to your scroll on your dragons' view pages.

This will give other users a direct link to your scroll on every page for each dragon you own.

Accept aid from others

Checking this option will give others permission to post your eggs and hatchlings in order to help them grow.

This will let others know that they are allowed to post your eggs/hatchlings to fansites.

Actions Security Method

This option determines what type of verification will be required to use actions such as kill or abandon.

When you select an action, this will determine whether you enter your password or the name of the action.

Hide Scroll

Prevents others from seeing your public page. Your /user/ page will appear as if your account does not exist.

If this is enabled, when other users search for your scroll, this message will come up, "You can't seem to find the scroll you're looking for..." It will not hide your scroll from you if you are logged in.

Hide adults on scroll

Displays only eggs and unfrozen hatchlings on your /user/ page.

If this is enabled, other users will not be able to see your adult dragons or frozen hatchlings when they visit your scroll. They will be able to see your eggs and unfrozen hatchlings

Site Appearance

Site Skin

Change the entire layout of the site for all pages you view while logged in.

This just changes the background and does not affect gameplay.

Display TinyURL Codes

Determines whether or not TinyURL links will be displayed on the dragon and incubator code pages.

This will display short urls for you to use instead of long links.

Number of dragons per-page

How many dragons to show per page when viewing dragon listings. This affects all pages you view. Must be at least 50, or enter 0 to show all dragons.

This determines how many dragons (eggs, hatchlings, and adults) you can see when you go to your or anyone else's scroll.

As for notifications of new features, I vote that the next time you log in, you get a message similar to a sickness message.

Edited by stogucheme

All this really accomplishes is lengthening the registration page into a wall of text that will deter new users. It essentially requires you to know how to play the game before you even join. Even moreso, it requires you to know how you plan to play the game before you even join. Most of these settings are a matter of preference, and it's kind of ridiculous to expect users to know what they want before they've ever grabbed a single egg.

Would it be possible to have some sort of pop-up appear encouraging users to browse their account settings once a user has a certain number of adult dragons? Not sure what that number should be, but if it doesn't kick in until they've gotten X number of adults, it would mean that they basically know how to play by the time they are compelled to choose their settings.

But the whole point of the suggestion is to solve the problem of finding a good default for new settings (which I don't think is actually a problem anyways, I haven't ever had an issue figuring out what the safest default is). If they start playing before picking settings, then you still need to figure out a default.

(which I don't think is actually a problem anyways, I haven't ever had an issue figuring out what the safest default is)

Well, I assumed it was an issue because it causes a lot of debate in some S&R threads. If that isn't an issue for you, I guess something like this suggestion isn't really necessary.

What about a little flag for new players on the Account bar thing that says something like, "When you're ready, you can customize your scroll however you like." Then, whenever we get new updates, it'll have another little flag on the Account section that says, "Updates have added a new feature available to customize your scroll".

Or something along those lines. Like, perhaps have a little red star or something small and noticeable, and when players click on it, the message shows up.

What about a little flag for new players on the Account bar thing that says something like, "When you're ready, you can customize your scroll however you like." Then, whenever we get new updates, it'll have another little flag on the Account section that says, "Updates have added a new feature available to customize your scroll".

Or something along those lines. Like, perhaps have a little red star or something small and noticeable, and when players click on it, the message shows up.

This I like- but maybe have it like the sickness message? (I don't know why, but I would prefer it to be that way.)

Oh, and when people go to their settings to see the new updates, perhaps the opt-in/out stuff or whatever was added can be in bold, so people know that those were the ones that are new?

Oh, and when people go to their settings to see the new updates, perhaps the opt-in/out stuff or whatever was added can be in bold, so people know that those were the ones that are new?

Yeah! I like that. Great idea.

Nice idea, but I wouldn't force it. Maybe something like:

Q: "Thanks for registering! Would you like to set up your account settings?

Y: "Sure, take me there!"

N: "No thanks, I'll do it later."

If they choose yes, take them to the page. If no, do, like it is now. Then have a subtle notification box that won't go away unless they go to their settings page.